28. Jake Lamotta Boxer

122 replies to this topic

#101 misswhisp

Hatchet man

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 39 posts

Posted 29 January 2010 - 02:52 AM

sorry about that, i was tired, hit the wrong button and went to bed, so next time i will make sure it is not late at night,therefore inconveniencing others.,which is the height of bad manners.

#102 DevonDeathTrip

Tractor Eater

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,070 posts

Posted 17 May 2010 - 08:17 PM

No news on Jake LaMotta, but his cousin Richard Lamotta, 67, inventor of the Chipwich, has died of a heart attack.

In some Polynesian countries, where obesity and diabetes are particularly prevalent, a Chipwich or two makes for a very popular breakfast (I just thought I'd share that bit of useless information with you).

Posted Image
Sometimes when we see the eyes- those horrible times when we see the eyes,eyes that ... that have no soul - then we know a darkness.

#103 maryportfuncity

Dedicated Cumbrian Corpse Hound, or summat

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,952 posts

Posted 24 August 2010 - 12:05 AM

Was just Googling LaMotta's daughter Stephanie. Once over she made film appearances and had affairs with John Conteh and Ringo Starr, though not at the same time.

Been a very needy MS case for some years now, though, and doesn't appear to be doing too much. NY Times reported nine years ago that she was very ill, but she's still going.
Posted Image

Maryport is a disappointment for which there is no cure, but the annual Deathrace thread hereabouts provides welcome distraction.

#104 Memento Mori

Shipman

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 279 posts

Posted 24 August 2010 - 08:20 PM

View Postmaryportfuncity, on Aug 24 2010, 01:05 AM, said:

Was just Googling LaMotta's daughter Stephanie. Once over she made film appearances and had affairs with John Conteh and Ringo Starr, though not at the same time.

Been a very needy MS case for some years now, though, and doesn't appear to be doing too much. NY Times reported nine years ago that she was very ill, but she's still going.
At that rate she's apt to last a few more years yet.
Alles hat ein Ende, nur die Wurst hat zwei.

#105 DevonDeathTrip

Tractor Eater

• Moderators
  • 4,070 posts

Posted 03 December 2010 - 05:34 PM

The boxer Danny Nardico has died at the age of 85. He was the only man ever to knock out Jake Lamotta. Coincidently at the same time that Nardico was punching the living daylights out of our long time DL favourite - New Years Eve 1952 - the country star Hank Williams was dying in the back of a Cadillac in Ohio.

Sadly I have no news of Jake. Sorry. Will try harder next time.
Sometimes when we see the eyes- those horrible times when we see the eyes,eyes that ... that have no soul - then we know a darkness.

#106 Rotten Ali

Value for money

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,157 posts

Posted 21 December 2010 - 01:42 PM

Programme on Radio 5 Live tonight, 9pm, about the film "Raging Bull". Could be interesting.
Seven down, 43 to go...
DL Shadow List: King Abdullah, Muhammad Ali, Sir Richard Attenborough, Tariq Aziz, Pope Benedict XVI, Tony Benn, Ian Brady, George HW Bush, Sid Caeser, Fidel Castro, George Cole, Katherine Crowe, Liz Dawn, Bob Dole, Kirk Douglas, Jean Claude Duvalier, Queen Fabiola of Belgium, Louis Farrakhan, Aretha Franklin, Zsa Zsa Gabor, James Garner, Ruth Bader Ginsburg, Mikhail Gorbachev, Billy Graham, King Harald V of Norway, Valerie Harper, Joao Havelange, Stephen Hawking, Jimmy Hill, Clive James, Yahya Jammeh, General Jaruzelski, Wilko Johnson, Casey Kasem, Stan Lee, Jerry Lee Lewis, Penny Marshall, T O N Mbasogo, Mary Tyler Moore, Hosni Mubarak, Ian Paisley, Nancy Reagan, Albert Reynolds, Ariel Sharon, Sam Simon, Jeremy Thorpe, Gough Whitlam, Lee Kuan Yew, Michael York & Jiang Zemin. 7/50

#107 Guest_Big Paulie_*

• Guests

Posted 07 January 2012 - 10:52 PM

View PostDinny, on 16 January 2005 - 03:04 PM, said:

:D I just don't know how anyone could not like Raging Bull. I just watched it again last night and Robert Di Niro did an amazing job in that film. He deserved every inch of that academy award for the roll he portrayed.

But he didn't win one.

#108 sympathyforthedevil

Shipman

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 489 posts

Posted 07 January 2012 - 11:32 PM

View PostBig Paulie, on 07 January 2012 - 10:52 PM, said:

View PostDinny, on 16 January 2005 - 03:04 PM, said:

:D I just don't know how anyone could not like Raging Bull. I just watched it again last night and Robert Di Niro did an amazing job in that film. He deserved every inch of that academy award for the roll he portrayed.

But he didn't win one.

The quote didn't say he did; it merely said he deserved it. :D

#109 SalmonMousse

Bomber

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 169 posts

Posted 24 April 2012 - 09:59 PM

out and about in the black country
its a Mr Grim, he's come about the reaping....

#110 time

Lord

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,855 posts

Posted 24 April 2012 - 11:28 PM

View PostSalmonMousse, on 24 April 2012 - 09:59 PM, said:

Have you got a link to that story in English? Fuck me, even my local paper has a better grasp of spelling and grammar than the Express & Star these days (and may well know what a centurion is too).

Honez would have had a field day with that!
2014 DDP Team (Time's-up team Player of The Month, June 2014): John Bardon; Dora Bryan; Emile Ford; Valery Giscard d’Estaing; John Glenn; Eldon Griffiths; Bernard Haitink; Gerald Harper; Buck Henry (Joker); Patricia Knatchbull; Francis Matthews; Sheila Mercier; Les Munro; Pete Murray; I. M. Pei; Dudley Simpson; Nobby Stiles; Joseph Wapner; Peter Wyngarde; Jimmy Young.

2014 DDP Theme Team (...and its goodnight from him etc): Ronald Atkins, Ron Brown, Ronnie Carroll; Ronald Chesney, Ronnie Walter Cunningham, Ronnie Dawson, Ron Ely, Ronald Baron Fearn, Ron Flowers, Ronnie Gilbert, Ronald Harwood, Ronald Hines, Ron Isley, Ronnie Masterson (lost), Ronnie Moore, Ronald Pellar, Ronnie Ronalde, Ron Smith, Ronald Stevenson, Ron Suart (Joker)

2014 DDP Theme Team (Roger and Out): Roger Alton, Roger Angell, Sir Roger Bannister, Roger Cook, Roger Corman, Roger Daltrey, Roger Dimmock, Roger Etchegaray, Sir Roger Moore, Sir Roger Norrington, Sir Roger Penrose(Joker), Roger Protz, Roger Sainsbury, Roger Sloman, Roger Smith, Roger Spottiswood, Roger Squires, Roger Staubach, Roger Taylor, Roger Whitaker

Deathrace 2014 Team: Billy Graham (Joker), Ethel Lang, Javier Perez De Cuellar, Efrem Zimbalist Jr., Vera Lynn,Kirk Douglas, Al Molinaro, Dora Bryan, John Glenn, Gerald Harper, Patricia Knatchbull, Francis Matthews, Sheila Mercier, Les Munro, Buck Henry, I. M. Pei, Joseph Wapner, Jimmy Young, Wojtech Jaruszelski, Doris Day

2014 Hartlepool Deadlypool Team: Rev Billy Graham, Ethel Lang, Javier Perez De Cuellar, Carl Reiner, Efrem Zimbalist Jr., Vera Lynn, Kirk Douglas, Maximilian Schell, Al Molinaro, BB King. Subs: Doris Day, Wojciech Jaruzelski

I have CDO. It's like OCD except the letters are in alphabetical order, as they should be.

#111 Guest_Gary_*

• Guests

Posted 08 June 2012 - 06:52 PM

Saw Jake LaMotta signing autographs last weekend at Collectormania Milton Keynes at MK Dons Stadium. The organisers have come in for a lot of flack as they had this poor old fella (as well as several other elderley celebs) sitting outside on the concourse on a very cold May Day.

Jake had a huge queue of people waiting to meet him but only appeared for an hour and a half before crying off sick-don't blame him as it was perishing cold. Amazed that some of the oldies-Stirling Moss, Brian Blessed, David Bradley weren't keeling over while overpampered TV actors were hidden in plastic tents to stay warm.

Surprised he's made it through the week after that!

#112 Phantom

uber twunt

• Members
  • 4,238 posts

Posted 12 June 2012 - 12:24 AM

View PostGary, on 08 June 2012 - 06:52 PM, said:

Saw Jake LaMotta signing autographs last weekend at Collectormania Milton Keynes at MK Dons Stadium. The organisers have come in for a lot of flack as they had this poor old fella (as well as several other elderley celebs) sitting outside on the concourse on a very cold May Day.

Jake had a huge queue of people waiting to meet him but only appeared for an hour and a half before crying off sick-don't blame him as it was perishing cold. Amazed that some of the oldies-Stirling Moss, Brian Blessed, David Bradley weren't keeling over while overpampered TV actors were hidden in plastic tents to stay warm.

Just a few days in Milton Keyons would see anyone off.

A good line never dies
It just smells funny

----

Winner of the 2014 Wojciech Jarulzelski sweepstakes

DDP 2014 3/20
Jim Bamber , Ryan Buell, Katherine Crowe Posted Image, Liz Dawn, Ruth Duccini, Janet Fielding, Zsa Zsa Gabor , Billy Graham,"Superstar" Billy Graham, Rolf Harris, Joao Havelange, Bobby Heenan, Wojciech Jarulzelski, Wilko Johnson, Stephen Lewis, Jerry Maren, Les Munro, Sonny Rollins, Sam Simon, Gough Whitlam

DDP 2012 8/20 - Joint 47th

DDP 2013 11/20 - Joint 24th

#113 Guest_Gary_*

• Guests

Posted 12 June 2012 - 09:12 PM

View PostPhantom, on 12 June 2012 - 12:24 AM, said:

View PostGary, on 08 June 2012 - 06:52 PM, said:

Just a few days in Milton Keyons would see anyone off.

Hey-I work in Portsmouth. Milton Keynes is a definite step up!

#114 Guest_Droosy_*

• Guests

Posted 15 June 2012 - 08:32 AM

Lamotta reportedly complains of frequent headaches!!!

#115 Guest_Peter_*

• Guests

Posted 15 June 2012 - 08:46 AM

View PostDroosy, on 15 June 2012 - 08:32 AM, said:

Well, it might be connected with his professional career

#116 Guest_Droosy_*

• Guests

Posted 15 June 2012 - 08:53 AM

View PostPeter, on 15 June 2012 - 08:46 AM, said:

but wrestling is fake!!!

#117 Paul Bearer

Zombie Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,181 posts

Posted 15 June 2012 - 05:39 PM

Do you realise you are 'both' posting from the same IP address?
This is true my form is something odd,
But blaming me is blaming God;
Could I create myself anew
I would not fail in pleasing you.

#118 JR976evil

I Need To Get A Life!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,551 posts

Posted 15 June 2012 - 09:19 PM

View PostDroosy, on 15 June 2012 - 08:53 AM, said:

View PostPeter, on 15 June 2012 - 08:46 AM, said:

but wrestling is fake!!!

Um, he was a boxer

#119 angryGreatness

Executioner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 657 posts

Posted 03 August 2012 - 01:55 AM

LaMotta is keeping busy working as a consultant on "The Bronx Bull", a new biopic based on his life that will go into more depth than Raging Bull, and on stage in a two-week showing of a 50-minute cabaret-style play called "The Lady and the Champ" which is also based on his life.

My guess is LaMotta will die just around the time The Bronx Bull is about to hit theaters, so the obituaries can say what a tragedy is was that he didn't get to see it.
DDP 2014:

Better Them Than Us!:
Daisy Berkowitz, Colin Bloomfield, Katherine Crowe Posted Image, Darren Daulton, Fred DeLuca, Sally Farmiloe, Dennis "Fergie" Frederiksen, Dr. Kate Granger, Valerie Harper, Clive James, Wilko Johnson, Carolyn McCarthy Posted Image, Graeme Pollock Posted Image, Mike Porcaro, Pat Rice, Amy Robach, Robert Schuller, Stuart Scott, Sam Simon, Joost Van Der Westhuizen

Evergreen State of Decay [Theme: People born in Washington]
Paul Allen, Bob Barker, Glenn Beck Posted Image, Jerry Cantrell Posted Image, Carol Channing Posted Image, Orson Scott Card Posted Image, John Elway Posted Image, Kenny G Posted Image, Bill Gates, Ben Gibbard Posted Image. Ben Haggerty Posted Image, Donald M. Kendall Posted Image, Amanda Knox Posted Image, Gary Larson Posted Image, Ryan Lewis Posted Image, Chuck Palahniuk Posted Image, Anthony Ray Posted Image, Adam West, Jim Whittaker Posted Image, Michael Winslow Posted Image

Died in Committee [Theme: Current and former Senators]
Daniel Akaka Posted Image, Birch Bayh Posted Image, Edward Brooke Posted Image, Tom Coburn Posted Image, Ted Cruz Posted Image, Jeremiah Denton Posted Image, Bob Dole, Dianne Feinstein Posted Image, John Glenn, Orrin Hatch Posted Image, Ernest "Fritz" Hollings, Tim Johnson Posted Image, Mark Kirk Posted Image, Paul Laxalt Posted Image, John McCain, Mitch McConnell Posted Image, Walter Mondale, Harry Reid, Jay Rockefeller Posted Image, John Warner Posted Image

ShadowList 2014:
Rev. Billy Graham, General Jaruzelski, George Bush, Olivia de Havilland, Kirk Douglas, John Glenn, Luise Rainer, Christopher Lee, Nancy Reagan, Eli Wallach, Zsa Zsa Gabor, Bob Dole, Beverly Cleary, Robert Mugabe, Chuck Berry, Al Molinaro, Stan Lee, Lyndon LaRouche,
Ariel Sharon, Don Pardo, Jim Leavelle, Boutros Boutros-Ghali, Don Rickles, June Foray, Mort Walker, Paul Laxalt, I.M. Pei, Edward Brooke, Pope Benedict XVI, Alan Young, Henry Kissinger, Hiroo Onoda, Chuck Yeager, Dr. Henry Heimlich, George Shultz, Vera Lynn, Mickey Rooney, Fidel Castro, Noel Neill, Jimmy Carter, Ben Bradlee, Mary Tyler Moore, Jack T. Chick, Jerry Lewis, Jake LaMotta, King Abdullah bin Abdul-Aziz, Helmut Schmidt, Harper Lee, Gloria Vanderbilt, Abe Vigoda

#120 Rotten Ali

Value for money

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,157 posts

Posted 04 November 2012 - 08:51 AM

A few more of us need to have mod status to remove this type of post currently sitting @ post #120 in this thread. Hopefully it won't be long in the takedown, but quite worrying that it was put there over six hours ago...
Seven down, 43 to go...
DL Shadow List: King Abdullah, Muhammad Ali, Sir Richard Attenborough, Tariq Aziz, Pope Benedict XVI, Tony Benn, Ian Brady, George HW Bush, Sid Caeser, Fidel Castro, George Cole, Katherine Crowe, Liz Dawn, Bob Dole, Kirk Douglas, Jean Claude Duvalier, Queen Fabiola of Belgium, Louis Farrakhan, Aretha Franklin, Zsa Zsa Gabor, James Garner, Ruth Bader Ginsburg, Mikhail Gorbachev, Billy Graham, King Harald V of Norway, Valerie Harper, Joao Havelange, Stephen Hawking, Jimmy Hill, Clive James, Yahya Jammeh, General Jaruzelski, Wilko Johnson, Casey Kasem, Stan Lee, Jerry Lee Lewis, Penny Marshall, T O N Mbasogo, Mary Tyler Moore, Hosni Mubarak, Ian Paisley, Nancy Reagan, Albert Reynolds, Ariel Sharon, Sam Simon, Jeremy Thorpe, Gough Whitlam, Lee Kuan Yew, Michael York & Jiang Zemin. 7/50

Reply to this topic

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users