10. Olivia De Havilland Actress

87 replies to this topic

#21 huge*abba*fan

Pointless Ranter

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 4 posts

Posted 26 October 2005 - 05:15 PM

Another load of rubbish postings as usual!!

#22 Paul Bearer

Zombie Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,257 posts

Posted 26 October 2005 - 06:00 PM

huge*abba*fan, on Oct 26 2005, 05:15 PM, said:

Another load of rubbish postings as usual!!
Yes, your really going to have to curtail your posts
This is true my form is something odd,
But blaming me is blaming God;
Could I create myself anew
I would not fail in pleasing you.

#23 Mr Macabre

Hatchet man

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 42 posts

Posted 03 November 2005 - 09:19 AM

Hmm just been announced that Ms De Havilland is to recieve a special honary oscar at next years awards.Also that she is going to be in attendence. This would indicate that despite being almost ninety she is in pretty good shape.However the academy have a tendency to honour those with failing health who wont be here for much longer.

I reckon the old gal is guna hang on till next year just so her ego can be fed an she can pick up what will be Oscar number three. However with that an her ninetieth birthday also coming up next year mite be more excitement then that ageing heart can deal with.

A defo for next yeras list!!!!!!!

#24 maryportfuncity

Dedicated Cumbrian Corpse Hound, or summat

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,312 posts

Posted 03 November 2005 - 06:59 PM

Am I imaging it or did she turn up as the final guest when Russell Harty was on This is Your Life and end the show by snogging him full on the lips.

Almost too bizarre for words that moment, so maybe I did imagine it.
Posted Image

Maryport is a disappointment for which there is no cure, but the annual Deathrace thread hereabouts provides welcome distraction.

#25 Guest_Sara_*

• Guests

Posted 05 December 2005 - 03:33 AM

Is she still alive or not? I just watched "The Snake Pit" last night. She was incredible in it.

#26 Canadian Paul

uber twunt

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,132 posts

Posted 05 December 2005 - 06:46 PM

Sara, on Dec 4 2005, 07:33 PM, said:

Is she still alive or not? I just watched "The Snake Pit" last night. She was incredible in it.
Still alive, and very much so. Fiesty as ever, might be a good one to take off the list for next year (as per above discussion, I'm too lazy to reiterate the points)
Twunt Master Series (August 2007 - January 2008) (January 2008 - June 2008) (July 2008 - April 2009) (April 2009 - January 2010)

Uber Twunt Series (January 2010 - ?)

I still owe NAP

#27 odhfan

Pointless Ranter

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 4 posts

Posted 08 March 2006 - 11:10 PM

She is still alive now.

#28 Mr Macabre

Hatchet man

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 42 posts

Posted 15 March 2006 - 09:30 AM

Just wondering if anyone has heard why Olivia didnt pick up an honary Oscar at this years awards. It was reported in the press (bbc news website etc) that she was to be honoured with a lifetime achievement award at this years ceremony. I didnt see the actual telecast but dont think it ever happend as Robert Altman recieved this honour and I cant find any refrence in press snippets of her attendance so im presuming Ms De Havilland didnt get any sort of sickly tribute? An indication she was too sick to attend?

#29 Guest_Guest_*

• Guests

Posted 09 April 2006 - 08:14 PM

View PostMr Macabre, on Mar 15 2006, 09:30 AM, said:

Just wondering if anyone has heard why Olivia didnt pick up an honary Oscar at this years awards. It was reported in the press (bbc news website etc) that she was to be honoured with a lifetime achievement award at this years ceremony. I didnt see the actual telecast but dont think it ever happend as Robert Altman recieved this honour and I cant find any refrence in press snippets of her attendance so im presuming Ms De Havilland didnt get any sort of sickly tribute? An indication she was too sick to attend?

The press release never stated that she was going to get an honory Oscar at the Academy Awards. Please read it for yourself:

Academy Tribute to Olivia de Havilland
Slated for 2006

Beverly Hills, CA — Oscar-winning screen legend Olivia de Havilland will be honored with an Academy Tribute on June 15, 2006, presented by the Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences. The two-time Academy Award winner will travel from her home in France to the Academy’s Samuel Goldwyn Theater in Beverly Hills for the event, which will feature film clips of her most-admired performances and discussion with colleagues from throughout her career.

Born on July 1, 1916, in Tokyo to English parents, de Havilland made her screen debut as Hermia in Max Reinhardt’s “A Midsummer Night’s Dream” in 1935, a role that she had also played on stage at the Hollywood Bowl. Her pairing with Errol Flynn in “Captain Blood,” also in 1935, proved a great success and subsequently the two starred together in seven more films, helping to solidify her leading lady status.

De Havilland earned the first of her five Academy Award nominations for her supporting performance as Melanie Hamilton in “Gone with the Wind.” Two years later, in 1941, her lead performance as Emmy Brown in “Hold Back the Dawn” was nominated. She earned her first Oscar statuette for her portrayal of Jody Norris in “To Each His Own” (1946). “The Snake Pit” (1948), in which she played Virginia Stuart Cunningham, provided de Havilland with another nominated lead performance and in 1949 she took home her second Academy Award for her role as Catherine Sloper in “The Heiress.” Among the directors with whom she worked during this period and later in her career were Michael Curtiz, Victor Fleming, Lewis Gilbert, John Huston, Stanley Kramer, Mitchell Leisen, Anatole Litvak and William Wyler.

Tickets for An Academy Tribute to Olivia de Havilland will go on sale June 1, 2006, for $5 for the general public and $3 for Academy members. They will be available for purchase at the Academy during regular business hours or by mail. The Academy is located at 8949 Wilshire Boulevard in Beverly Hills. For more information call 310-247-3600.

http://www.oscars.or...5/05.11.01.html

I will be attending if my plane doesn't crash!

#30 Octopus of Odstock

Post twunt

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,832 posts

Posted 18 June 2006 - 09:37 PM

OdH back in Hollywood

Photo included with the article, and both photo & article indicate that she'll be around for a good while yet. Her will to carry on, being one. Her will to outlive Joan Fontaine another.

#31 Tempus Fugit

Twunt Master

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,819 posts

Posted 18 June 2006 - 10:02 PM

View PostOctopus of Odstock, on Jun 18 2006, 10:37 PM, said:

OdH back in Hollywood

Photo included with the article, and both photo & article indicate that she'll be around for a good while yet. Her will to carry on, being one. Her will to outlive Joan Fontaine another.
She's looking pretty darn good, I wouldn't be at all surprised if she made the century.

I don't think the photo in that article is contemporaneous with the event though.

This one is I believe,

Posted Image

Edited by Tempus Fugit, 18 June 2006 - 10:13 PM.

"I have a new philosophy. I'm only going to dread one day at a time."

It's been over 21 months since I was last 100% sober, not a day I want to repeat.

#32 BrunoBrimley

I REALLY Need To Get A Life!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,330 posts

Posted 30 January 2007 - 12:39 AM

Any news lately on Olivia?

#33 Guest_Guest_weasel_*_*

• Guests

Posted 28 February 2007 - 04:55 AM

View PostBrunoBrimley, on Jan 30 2007, 12:39 AM, said:

Any news lately on Olivia?
Saw her on GWTW last night and she was sure looking good!...

#34 Mr Macabre

Hatchet man

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 42 posts

Posted 01 July 2007 - 01:22 PM

Just turned 91, seems likely to be around for a few years yet. It will be very intresting to see if her or her sister Joan Fontaine dies first. Clerly some good genes in that family as both sisters despite advancing age are in comparitively good health.

#35 Gordon Comstock

Hatchet man

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 23 posts

Posted 11 February 2008 - 09:32 AM

Saw her in The Heiress the other night (bit old for the part if you ask me) which got me looking her and the film up on the interweb. Turns out she's not only still going strong but is slated to appear in a movie (I-59 South) later this year. See the writer's website.

Aside - take a look at this cove's "About Me" page. Turns out he's a god-bothering loan shark with a distinctly dodgy taste in music who writes in his spare time.

#36 Guest_Grave Mistake_*

• Guests

Posted 02 April 2009 - 10:50 PM

Any idea on who is likely to go first out of the world's most famous feuders, :rolleyes: Olivia de Havilland and Joan Fontaine? (Also, who is your favourite actress of the two?)

Fontaine seems to have a much lower profile these days, but they are probably both clinging on, determined to outlive each other. Maybe one of them will slip the other some poison one of these days... :)

I think Olivia will outlive Joan, despite being the older of the two. I would say that Joan is my favourite of the two actresses, based on her performance in "Rebecca" as opposed to Olivia's "Captain Blood" and "Adventures of Robin Hood". Don't think I have seen any other films featuring either of them...

Thoughts or any recent news on either of them?

#37 Death Impends

Post-Twunt

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,106 posts

Posted 03 April 2009 - 01:18 AM

View PostGrave Mistake, on Apr 2 2009, 06:50 PM, said:

Any idea on who is likely to go first out of the world's most famous feuders, :rolleyes: Olivia de Havilland and Joan Fontaine? (Also, who is your favourite actress of the two?)

Fontaine seems to have a much lower profile these days, but they are probably both clinging on, determined to outlive each other. Maybe one of them will slip the other some poison one of these days... :)

I think Olivia will outlive Joan, despite being the older of the two. I would say that Joan is my favourite of the two actresses, based on her performance in "Rebecca" as opposed to Olivia's "Captain Blood" and "Adventures of Robin Hood". Don't think I have seen any other films featuring either of them...

Thoughts or any recent news on either of them?

Olivia received the National Medal of Arts several months ago in November 2008, along with the likes of Stan Lee. Don't know of any recent news on Joan, but both sisters still seem to be doing well.
DDP Team - Thomas Jefferson Survives (2014 - 7/20 - Evans, Crowe, Ockels, Jaruzelski, Kasem, Farmiloe, Madoff) (2013 - 11/20, 4th place)

Personal 50: Billy Graham, Wojciech Jaruzelski, Sam Simon, Valerie Harper, Clive James, Wilko Johnson, Casey Kasem, Luise Rainer, Gough Whitlam, Zsa Zsa Gabor, Kirk Douglas, Olivia de Havilland, Eli Wallach, Superstar Billy Graham, Fidel Castro, Pope Benedict XVI, Prince Philip, George H.W. Bush, Albert Reynolds, Werner Franz, June Foray, Janet Waldo, George S. Irving, Henry Heimlich, Ingvar Kamprad, Bob Dole, Al Molinaro, Richard Attenborough, Nancy Reagan, King Abdullah, Helmut Kohl, Gunter Grass, Robert Mugabe, Fred Phelps, Jack Chick, John Glenn, Christopher Lee, Maureen O'Hara, Monty Hall, Bob Barker, James D. Watson, Mikhail Gorbachev, Muhammad Ali, Gershon Kingsley, Aaron Shikler, Lauren Bacall, Sid Caesar, Mickey Rooney, Stephen Hawking, Abe Vigoda (14/50 last year)

#38 CaptainChorizo

Assassin

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 795 posts

Posted 26 December 2010 - 05:44 AM

She seems like a reasonable bet to live to 100+
DDP Teams 2014

Heading Nowhere
1Joker Sam Simon 2. Daisy Berkowitz 3.Billy Graham 4.Wilko Johnson 5.Ritchii Kara 6.Sally Farmiloe 7.Andrew Madoff 8.Kate Granger 9.Joe McGinniss 10.Katherine Crowe 11.Pete Way 12.Albert Reynolds 13.Jack Ramsay 14.David Norris 15.Valerie Harper 16.Joost van der Westhuizen 17.Clive James 18.Pat Rice 19.Michael Schumacher 20.Darren Daulton

Theme teams
Last Picture Show(Film Directors)
Joker Seijun Suzuki 2.Jonas Mekas 3.Ib Melchior 4.Bernardo Bertolucci 5.Manoel de Oliveira 6.Gabriel Axel 7.Lewis Gilbert 8.Lina Wertmuller 9.Michael Anderson 10.Miklos Jancso 11.Franco Zeffirelli 12.Alain Resnais 13.Lee Grant 14.Tinto Brass 15.Andrew V. McLaglen 16.Adolfo Aristarian 17.Vojtech Jasny 18.Andrejz Wadja 19.Francesco Rosi 20.Arthur Hiller
45 Is The New 80(45 and under)
Joker Ritchii Kara 2.Kate Granger 3.Kristen Hallenga 4.Joost Van der Westhuizen 5.Katherine Crowe 6.Chasey Lain 7.Chyna 8. Real
9.Tito Vilanova 10.Shifty Shellshock 11.Gheorghe Muresan 12.Nadezhda Tolokonnikova 13.Gabe Nevins 14.Jenna Jameson 15.Jael Strauss 16.:Asma al-Assad 17.Jen Arnold 18.Nick Stahl 19.Lil Wayne 20.Rosa Mendes

#39 USFuneralDirector

Sniper

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 90 posts

Posted 03 January 2011 - 02:57 PM

It's getting time for "Old Hollywood" to have a major loss. And she would certainly be a big one.

#40 Guest_Eugene_*

• Guests

Posted 13 May 2011 - 10:28 PM

I don't see an immediate passing, maybe Late 2011 or 2012 is my guess. P.S., No one ever thinks of Phyliss Diller? She's 93 and looking pretty ill.

Reply to this topic

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users