- - - - -

Authors Last a Long Time, But.... Tome or Tomb?

512 replies to this topic

#201 maryportfuncity

Dedicated Cumbrian Corpse Hound, or summat

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,122 posts

Posted 31 January 2012 - 08:44 PM

Robert Maycock, big noise (heh heh) in classical music journalism and author of a significant book on Philip Glass in the eighties. Has died in a car crash.
Posted Image

Maryport is a disappointment for which there is no cure, but the annual Deathrace thread hereabouts provides welcome distraction.

#202 Phantom

uber twunt

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,332 posts

Posted 31 January 2012 - 08:47 PM

View Postmaryportfuncity, on 31 January 2012 - 08:44 PM, said:

Robert Maycock, big noise (heh heh) in classical music journalism and author of a significant book on Philip Glass in the eighties. Has died in a car crash.

That's a bit of a bugger. It's Philip Glass' 75th today

BBC article says he died on the 25th

A good line never dies
It just smells funny

----

Winner of the 2014 Wojciech Jarulzelski sweepstakes

DDP 2014 3/20
Jim Bamber , Ryan Buell, Katherine Crowe Posted Image, Liz Dawn, Ruth Duccini, Janet Fielding, Zsa Zsa Gabor , Billy Graham,"Superstar" Billy Graham, Rolf Harris, Joao Havelange, Bobby Heenan, Wojciech Jarulzelski, Wilko Johnson, Stephen Lewis, Jerry Maren, Les Munro, Sonny Rollins, Sam Simon, Gough Whitlam

DDP 2012 8/20 - Joint 47th

DDP 2013 11/20 - Joint 24th

#203 msc

Shipman

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 450 posts

Posted 05 February 2012 - 05:09 AM

Childrens SF author John Christopher has died aged 89. :(

Big favourite of mine as a kid. Best known for The Tripods series.
2014 Pan Breed DDP – S Simon (joker), S Farmiloe, W Johnson, C Kasem, V Harper, G Cole, G Garcia Marquez, P Rice, J Hill, L Dawn, A Briggs, J vd Westhuizen, C Woodhead, C Moncrieff, T Benn, R Buell, I Watkins, H Fawkes, A Reynolds, J McGinniss

Other pools – J McVie, P Worsthorne, V Campbell, S Caesar, L Rainer, R Mugabe, P Wyngarde, K Douglas, G Whitlam, S Hall, A Franklin, R Attenborough, GHW Bush, H Kissinger, E Wallach, B Reynolds, J Garner, N Reagan, H Kessler, G Saks, L Ferlinghetti, O Chadwick, R Asherson, K Ollerenshaw, F Phelps, W Jaruzelski, G Amorth, H McCullough, F Dyson, C Pincher, O Pooley, C Townes, D Slocombe, A Hiller, F Bough, RR Shaw, A Imich, C Hollingworth, S Gall, Ghiggia, C Irving, FGD Jean, H Gregg, F Domino, B Kerr, P MacNee, C Yeager, R Suart, P Maxwell Davies, J Havelange, J de Cuellar, P Dimmock, G Ure, C Mitchelmore, J Nott, H Wouk, J Freeman, M Wilson, T Docherty, P Fox, G Howe, L Cosgrave, N Lawson, B Clemens, K Evren, RK Murray, M Soares, P Vaughan, R Baker, P Lally, L Smith, A Suarez, P Robbins, I Kanarek, IM Pei, ER Killen, J Ramsey, P de Jong, A Rhett, V Gagne. = combined 18/100

2013: 28/100
2012: 25/100
Shadow Deathlist 2011- 10/50

#204 DevonDeathTrip

Tractor Eater

• Moderators
  • 4,070 posts

Posted 06 February 2012 - 09:25 PM

View Postmsc, on 05 February 2012 - 05:09 AM, said:

Mine too. He wrote a few books for grown ups as well.

View PostDevonDeathTrip, on 02 March 2009 - 09:06 PM, said:

John Christopher's excellent post apocalyptic novel "The Death Of Grass", is the book of the week on Radio 4:

http://www.bbc.co.uk...our_drama.shtml

Doom, gloom and Radio 4, I couldn't be happier. :)

A long forgotten film based on the book is availible on You Tube, it also has a smallish early role from Wendy Richard as a manipulative tart......

John Christopher (real name Samuel Youd) is still alive, he'll be 87 this year and if he lives until April, he will become one of a rather select band of authors who have lived to see their work published as a Penguin Classic. John Updike was another. Actually, thinking about it, there might be quite a few others. :huh:

I still think we're all doomed, btw.

Here's a proper UK obit for Christopher/Youd. I wonder if anyone picked him for the DDP?
Sometimes when we see the eyes- those horrible times when we see the eyes,eyes that ... that have no soul - then we know a darkness.

#205 themaninblack

Pun Plunderer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,175 posts

Posted 07 February 2012 - 12:01 AM

View PostDevonDeathTrip, on 06 February 2012 - 09:25 PM, said:

View Postmsc, on 05 February 2012 - 05:09 AM, said:

Mine too. He wrote a few books for grown ups as well.

View PostDevonDeathTrip, on 02 March 2009 - 09:06 PM, said:

John Christopher's excellent post apocalyptic novel "The Death Of Grass", is the book of the week on Radio 4:

http://www.bbc.co.uk...our_drama.shtml

Doom, gloom and Radio 4, I couldn't be happier. :)

A long forgotten film based on the book is availible on You Tube, it also has a smallish early role from Wendy Richard as a manipulative tart......

John Christopher (real name Samuel Youd) is still alive, he'll be 87 this year and if he lives until April, he will become one of a rather select band of authors who have lived to see their work published as a Penguin Classic. John Updike was another. Actually, thinking about it, there might be quite a few others. :huh:

I still think we're all doomed, btw.

Here's a proper UK obit for Christopher/Youd. I wonder if anyone picked him for the DDP?

A Pelican in the Wilderness
"I must have killed more men than Cecil B. DeMille."

Gene Wilder as "the Waco Kid", Blazing Saddles (1974)

#206 maryportfuncity

• Members
  • 11,122 posts

Posted 23 February 2012 - 05:18 PM

In his forthcoming novel 77 year old Alan Garner is returning to the characters who peopled his celebrated Weirdstone/Moon of Gomrath novels, well known and read by children in the sixties and seventies. Bi-polar and old, though whether this current move is a parting shot or simply a continuation of his career isn't clear.

http://en.wikipedia....n_Garner#Novels
Posted Image

Maryport is a disappointment for which there is no cure, but the annual Deathrace thread hereabouts provides welcome distraction.

#207 maryportfuncity

• Members
  • 11,122 posts

Posted 27 February 2012 - 06:58 PM

Read an interview with Jacqueline Wilson over the weekend in which she pointed out she's been treated for heart failure and kidney problems. She's 66, likely to last a while, but not into mega-old-age in that condition.
Posted Image

#208 harrymcnallysblueandwhitearmy

It's God shit!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,565 posts

Posted 06 March 2012 - 10:30 PM

Sad to report the death of a good friend of my mum's, the author Louise Cochrane, who packed a hell of a lot into her 93 years, but was probably most well-known for writing the stories for Rag, Tag and Bobtail, a BBC kids programme from before all of us, even Godot, were born. Amongst about a million other things, as the obit makes clear; the sort of person that makes me rather ashamed of my own pitiful efforts at enhancing the experience of my fellow man. Ahem, so far.

And no, I didn't pick her for any deadpools.

why, you little...

#209 DevonDeathTrip

Tractor Eater

• Moderators
  • 4,070 posts

Posted 06 March 2012 - 11:12 PM

View Postharrymcnallysblueandwhitearmy, on 06 March 2012 - 10:30 PM, said:

Sad to report the death of a good friend of my mum's, the author Louise Cochrane, who packed a hell of a lot into her 93 years, but was probably most well-known for writing the stories for Rag, Tag and Bobtail, a BBC kids programme from before all of us, even Godot, were born.

The venerable Dennis Skinner MP evidently remembers the books. He has often described the Lib/Con coalition as a "Rag, Tag and Bobtail Army". (See, here for example, where he uses the term twice in his savage mauling of David Laws)
Sometimes when we see the eyes- those horrible times when we see the eyes,eyes that ... that have no soul - then we know a darkness.

#210 Godot

In a minute

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,860 posts

Posted 08 March 2012 - 07:30 PM

Sad to report the death of a good friend of my mum's, the author Louise Cochrane, who packed a hell of a lot into her 93 years, but was probably most well-known for writing the stories for Rag, Tag and Bobtail, a BBC kids programme from before all of us, even Godot, were born. Amongst about a million other things, as the obit makes clear; the sort of person that makes me rather ashamed of my own pitiful efforts at enhancing the experience of my fellow man. Ahem, so far.

Harry you can always be relied on to post the important deaths. I never knew there were books DDT. I only ever saw the telly version which could be quite racy for a four-year-old. It taught me all my social skills. I don't think I'd ever heard swearing on TV until Tag turned round to Bobtail one day and told him to fuck right off. And that was many years before Bill Grundy.
Ring down the curtain, the farce is over

#211 DevonDeathTrip

Tractor Eater

• Moderators
  • 4,070 posts

Posted 08 March 2012 - 08:31 PM

View PostGodot, on 08 March 2012 - 07:30 PM, said:

Harry you can always be relied on to post the important deaths. I never knew there were books DDT. I only ever saw the telly version which could be quite racy for a four-year-old. It taught me all my social skills. I don't think I'd ever heard swearing on TV until Tag turned round to Bobtail one day and told him to fuck right off. And that was many years before Bill Grundy.

Actually, reading Harry's post again, he is referring to the TV programme. I was muddled as this is the authors thread and I didn't imagine Dennis Skinner would have had a television in his early life. :unsure:

#212 harrymcnallysblueandwhitearmy

It's God shit!

• Members
  • 1,565 posts

Posted 30 March 2012 - 07:46 AM

Always sad to report a Harry death. Harry Crews, kind of a poor man's Bukowski, dead at 76. The Gospel Singer was pretty good, as I remember, must give it another read. Maybe I'll give the Kim Gordon/Lydia Lunch band named after him a listen too. On second thoughts...

why, you little...

#213 VSBfromH

I Need To Get A Life!

• Members
  • 1,834 posts

Posted 30 March 2012 - 10:36 AM

John Arden

The playwright most famous for "Serjeant Musgrave's Dance" has died aged 81.
Oh, Mickey! What's EGREGIOUS?!

#214 harrymcnallysblueandwhitearmy

It's God shit!

• Members
  • 1,565 posts

Posted 03 April 2012 - 09:12 PM

Since reading this review last year I've been telling myself to read Pereira Maintains, and now that Antonio Tabucchi has died I'll make good on it. Authors are so much sexier when they're dead.

why, you little...

#215 Octopus of Odstock

Post twunt

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,826 posts

Posted 11 April 2012 - 08:08 PM

Dora Saint, mentioned in dispatches here frequently, has died, aged 98 - http://www.telegraph...Dora-Saint.html

#216 time

Lord

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,901 posts

Posted 12 April 2012 - 03:24 PM

The author of Douglas Adams' biography, "Wish You Were Here", Nick Webb, has died.

For those who haven't read it, I can recommend it.
2014 DDP Team (Time's-up team Player of The Month, June 2014): John Bardon; Dora Bryan; Emile Ford; Valery Giscard d’Estaing; John Glenn; Eldon Griffiths; Bernard Haitink; Gerald Harper; Buck Henry (Joker); Patricia Knatchbull; Francis Matthews; Sheila Mercier; Les Munro; Pete Murray; I. M. Pei; Dudley Simpson; Nobby Stiles; Joseph Wapner; Peter Wyngarde; Jimmy Young.

2014 DDP Theme Team (...and its goodnight from him etc): Ronald Atkins, Ron Brown, Ronnie Carroll; Ronald Chesney, Ronnie Walter Cunningham, Ronnie Dawson, Ron Ely, Ronald Baron Fearn, Ron Flowers, Ronnie Gilbert, Ronald Harwood, Ronald Hines, Ron Isley, Ronnie Masterson (lost), Ronnie Moore, Ronald Pellar, Ronnie Ronalde, Ron Smith, Ronald Stevenson, Ron Suart (Joker)

2014 DDP Theme Team (Roger and Out): Roger Alton, Roger Angell, Sir Roger Bannister, Roger Cook, Roger Corman, Roger Daltrey, Roger Dimmock, Roger Etchegaray, Sir Roger Moore, Sir Roger Norrington, Sir Roger Penrose(Joker), Roger Protz, Roger Sainsbury, Roger Sloman, Roger Smith, Roger Spottiswood, Roger Squires, Roger Staubach, Roger Taylor, Roger Whitaker

Deathrace 2014 Team: Billy Graham (Joker), Ethel Lang, Javier Perez De Cuellar, Efrem Zimbalist Jr., Vera Lynn,Kirk Douglas, Al Molinaro, Dora Bryan, John Glenn, Gerald Harper, Patricia Knatchbull, Francis Matthews, Sheila Mercier, Les Munro, Buck Henry, I. M. Pei, Joseph Wapner, Jimmy Young, Wojtech Jaruszelski, Doris Day

2014 Hartlepool Deadlypool Team: Rev Billy Graham, Ethel Lang, Javier Perez De Cuellar, Carl Reiner, Efrem Zimbalist Jr., Vera Lynn, Kirk Douglas, Maximilian Schell, Al Molinaro, BB King. Subs: Doris Day, Wojciech Jaruzelski

I have CDO. It's like OCD except the letters are in alphabetical order, as they should be.

#217 Paul Bearer

Zombie Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,224 posts

Posted 24 April 2012 - 10:49 PM

Ernest Callenbach dies at 83. Wrote environmental novel 'Ecotopia'
This is true my form is something odd,
But blaming me is blaming God;
Could I create myself anew
I would not fail in pleasing you.

#218 VSBfromH

I Need To Get A Life!

• Members
  • 1,834 posts

Posted 01 May 2012 - 09:23 AM

View PostJR976evil, on 13 February 2011 - 07:42 PM, said:

Anyone mentioned Michael Bond, author of Paddingon Bear, just turned 85...

Article in today's Telegraph. Looking hale and hearty at 86.
Oh, Mickey! What's EGREGIOUS?!

#219 maryportfuncity

• Members
  • 11,122 posts

Posted 01 May 2012 - 03:05 PM

Yeah, short of a sudden heart attack or catching the wrong plane, Bond won't be a shoo in for ages yet. Some authors do last a long time.
Posted Image

#220 Bibliogryphon

I Need To Get A Life!

• Members
  • 1,784 posts

Posted 02 May 2012 - 11:36 AM

View Postmaryportfuncity, on 01 May 2012 - 03:05 PM, said:

Yeah, short of a sudden heart attack or catching the wrong plane, Bond won't be a shoo in for ages yet. Some authors do last a long time.

Yeh particularly children's authors here are a few more who have reached a grand old age.

Shirley Hughes who wrote the Alfie books born 1927
Nicolas Fisk (aka David Higgenbottom) author of Kids sci-fi books like Grinny, Trillions and Starstormers born 1923
Eric Carle (The Very Hungry Caterpillar) born 1929

No health information about any of these but just by age alone they are worthy of consideration.
"I appear to have bypassed my good taste chip"

2013 DDP Teams:

Bibliogryphon's Bookworm Food (Theme Team)
I Can't Believe They're Not Deader
Unusual Suspects

Reply to this topic

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 1 anonymous users