Sign in to follow this  
DevonDeathTrip

Remaining In A Standing Position After Death

Can a person remain standing after their time is up? I assumed that anyone who happened to die on their feet would just drop to the floor. But in my dream of Hannah Hauxwell freezing to death at night, she was found in a standing position, albeit propped up by a walking frame.

This has made me wonder. Apparently there was the "Standing Death of Benkei", but other than that, there does't seem to be much precedent. Someone on Yahoo answers reckons a lightning strike might do the trick, but I'm not sure.

A few years ago I made the mistake of viewing pictures from the Hillsborough disaster and in some pictures it was quite clear there were a few dead people standing. I know that's because there wasn't room for the corpses to fall so not quite what were you after but it was my first thought on seeing the thread.

Here's a Telegraph story about someone who managed to do so (asphyxiation of the lungs after a drinking injury) back in 2012, but it seems that he did so because he was being propped up by a breakfast bar/kitchen sink.

Here's a Telegraph story about someone who managed to do so (asphyxiation of the lungs after a drinking injury) back in 2012, but it seems that he did so because he was being propped up by a breakfast bar/kitchen sink.

Re the grim Hillsboro pictures etc. There are plenty of people who've remained upright after death in crush and/mass suffocation type deaths. People removing multiple bodies from Nazi gas chambers tended to deal with a pyramid rather than a carpet of bodies and people tied to posts and shot by firing squad still stay tied up. If the original question was about whether an individual could stay standing, I reckon the answer is that only happens when some other factor - like them being lashed to the steering wheel of a boat and freezing to death - overrides the body's lack of standing power after death.

Can a person remain standing after their time is up? I assumed that anyone who happened to die on their feet would just drop to the floor. But in my dream of Hannah Hauxwell freezing to death at night, she was found in a standing position, albeit propped up by a walking frame.

This has made me wonder. Apparently there was the "Standing Death of Benkei", but other than that, there does't seem to be much precedent. Someone on Yahoo answers reckons a lightning strike might do the trick, but I'm not sure.

Short answer; no. In order to remain standing your leg muscles need to be fully functional and at the moment of death they are not. Long answer; centre of gravity, inner ear canals ...

I'm alive (so people tell me) and when I trap a nerve - as sometimes happens - I go down every time like a sack of spuds.

• Like 1

I suppose it was just a crazy dream.

Branwell Bronte stood up to die, but no doubt toppled shortly afterwards.

Nostradamus predicted his demise the night before and legend has it that he definitely predicted he would be found standing up.

Short answer; no. In order to remain standing your leg muscles need to be fully functional and at the moment of death they are not. Long answer; centre of gravity, inner ear canals ...

I'm alive (so people tell me) and when I trap a nerve - as sometimes happens - I go down every time like a sack of spuds.

HAHAHA... only just saw this post cos it's DDT's thread but the way you describe age is hilarious (even though I suspect you's is quite possibly over-eggin how old you are, as do many middle-agers on here). Still... trapped nerves, eh? Cripes with stripes.......

Extra legs must come in handy as, this desert fox has managed it

http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=900_1421242142

I still think it might be possible with a walking frame.

I'm guessing that not one bovine out of the hundreds of millions that have been slaughtered has been left standing in the abattoir.