Sign in to follow this  
Cerberus

Sir Alastair Burnet

I remember "Spitting Image" doing him in the eighties, with a huge red nose (pre-Comic Relief)

He must be at least 80 by now. Anyone know if he's still with us? I seem to recall that he planned to retire after he'd done the Queen Mum's funeral, but she outlasted his career by several years.

Pleaase don't say he died years ago.

I also have fond memories of watching his impression on "Splitting Image" in the eighties. :rolleyes: He is still with us and is now 76 years old.

If you want a fond reminder, or your are an obsessive, check out tvark.org.uk... I'm sure there is a news clip of him. I love the old News at 545 title music - it sounds so wonderful, even after all these years.

He was on my data base but not in the 400 I had for competition but to be off the radar for eight years.....

Another one from my long list is gone. I was thinking he'd go closer to 90, but oh well.

Must be a record for the longest between posts for a celeb...

Must be a record for the longest between posts for a celeb...

I mentioned him on one of the possibilities threads a couple of years ago. Didn't know he had his own thread.

It's one of the longest gaps between me wondering and asking if anyone has any health info on a celeb and them dropping dead.

I remember "Spitting Image" doing him in the eighties, with a huge red nose

I remember one week they had his nose get larger and larger until it it exploded.

sorry for asking, but are you the same One shot Paddy thats on KDS?????

All this talk about dead newscasters reminds me that Dutch newscaster Frits Thors is still with us, aged 103. I don't think he's obitworthy in the UK, so no DDP material, but he can't live forever.

regards,

Hein

Wow, I was certian that Sir Alastair had left us sometime ago. I was that certain, I never imagined that this thread would even be in existence.

A quality Spitting Image character though, that made the show even funnier, when he was portrayed on it!

Now makes me wonder, how's Sir Trevor McDonald doing? Another Spitting Image Icon!!

Bah. Another name I thought of last "summer" as a possibility for DDP 2012, then didn't write it down and forgot about him by December. Such is life...

Note to self...Sandy Gall and Richard Baker for next year's list...

I seem to remember shortly after he retired from ITN in the early 90s he was pictured in the papers with cuts on his face having fallen over drunk in the street, but I can't find any reference to this anywhereon t'Internet. DId I imagine this, or does anyone else remember it?