Sign in to follow this  
Estuarian Float

Kentucky Derby Dead Pool

A fusion of the Derby Dead Pool & Kentucky Derby!

The ultimate objective of this deathpool is to pick the winning horse at the Kentucky Derby and make the most pretend money from it. The gambler with the most money after the race wins! Your first 20 "racehorses" will be your team of DDP picks. For each hit, you earn pretend money to bet on real horses on Derby day which is May 3rd. You can divide the pretend money you win from your DDP hits on any of the Derby horses. You can put it all on one horse, or spread it around. If your horse scratches, you get your money back. You cannot redistribute your wagering money after you've already placed a bet unless the horse you bet on has scratched.

You get a dollar for each point you score in the DDP. You can also get bonus money. (See below) If the winning horse is one of your horses, the money you placed on that horse will be multiplied by 5. Second place horse money will be multiplied by 3. Third place horse money will be multiplied by 1.5. The money you don't spend on horses also goes into your final score. You can start placing money on horses when I post the roster in this thread.

You can also get money for bonuses

Each of the following bonuses is worth $10

-Person born or died in Kentucky

-Person born or died in Indiana

-Person born or died in any town named Derby

-Qualified for a DDP bonus (joker, unique pick, etc) (only get paid once)

-Person was 100 or older

You can also scavenge for specific photos of your deceased hit. Each of the following can pocket you another $20. You can only use each of these bonuses once for each hit. (NO PHOTOSHOPPING!)

-Post a picture of the deceased on or standing next to a horse

-Post a picture of the deceased with a bottle or glass of bourbon

-Post a picture of the deceased holding one or more roses

-Post a picture of the deceased in Louisville, KY (must be recognizably Louisville)

-Post a picture of the deceased holding a Louisville Slugger

-Post a picture of the deceased with Muhammad Ali

-Post a picture of the deceased enjoying fireworks

-Post a picture of the deceased on a steamboat

-Post a picture of the deceased in a dirty river

-Post a picture of the deceased wearing a large or decorated hat

-Post a picture of the deceased standing on their head

-Post a picture of the deceased cruising through the ghetto

-Post a picture of the deceased holding either cucumber or cream cheese

-Post a picture of the deceased looking down from a tall building

-Post a picture of the deceased eating something deep-fried

-Post a picture of the deceased being interviewed by Diane Sawyer

-Post a picture of the deceased on a bed with wheels

-Post a picture of the deceased playing the trumpet

-Post a picture of the deceased sitting on a cooler

-Post a picture of the deceased playing basketball

-Post a picture of the deceased in a hot air balloon

-Post a picture of the deceased with an object or in a situation that alludes to the name of a known former KY Derby horse (I will judge whether it is too vague or not.)

*I reserve the right to add more photo quests

To enter the Kentucky Derby Dead Pool, just confirm with a post in this thread with the name of the team you want to enter, and you'll be signed up! You don't need to reveal your picks, only your DDP team name. You can play theme teams too. Deadline for entry coincides with the deadline for DDP 2014.

tumbleweed01.jpg

I know...

Are my instructions too complicated? Do Brits know about the Kentucky Derby?...

i would like to play but seems to need streamlining , how about we each pick 10 celebs and then everyone chooses one of their picks. Whoever dies out of said pick wins that round and so on and so forth .

winner is the person who wins most rounds.

I know...

Are my instructions too complicated? Do Brits know about the Kentucky Derby?...

Yes I've heard of it of course but I'm a bit of an America-holic or whatevever. Trying to comprehend the rules is like trying to solve a Rubik's cube with your toes while doing a one handed handstand on the saddle of a unicycle. But I think I'll possibly enter it just because it seems more fun than some of the other fruity Deadpools that have just appeared here recently.

RULES SIMPLIFIED:

-You get fake money for every point you score in the Derby Dead Pool before May 3rd

-You can also acquire bonus money

-You'll bet that money on horses when I post their names and odds of winning in April

-Players who bet on the 1st, 2nd & 3rd place horses will have their money multiplied

-Player with the most money after the Kentucky Derby race on May 3rd wins the pool

-All you have to do to enter this game is post your DDP team name in this thread before New Year. You won't have to do anything else until its time to bet on horses in April. You can pick horses with high odds or horses with names you like. Whatever you like.

RULES SIMPLIFIED:

-You get fake money for every point you score in the Derby Dead Pool before May 3rd

-You can also acquire bonus money

-You'll bet that money on horses when I post their names and odds of winning in April

-Players who bet on the 1st, 2nd & 3rd place horses will have their money multiplied

-Player with the most money after the Kentucky Derby race on May 3rd wins the pool

-All you have to do to enter this game is post your DDP team name in this thread before New Year. You won't have to do anything else until its time to bet on horses in April. You can pick horses with high odds or horses with names you like. Whatever you like.

When are the Belmont Stakes and the Preakness Stakes held? If they are later in the year, wouldn't it be more fun if we could "bet" on those too? Instead of just ending in May?

EDIT: Actually I just did the Googling and they're in May and June so it wouldn't make much difference. I'll enter anyway.

I'll play, even though I haven't even considered my DDP team yet, and as ever, my extremely well-thought-out, clever and inspiring team name will be Lard Bazaar.

I will enter my 2014 ddp main team Heading Nowhere

go on then i'll enter too.

my ddp 2014 team name is Sovereign - Reaper

I'm in, team name is If I'm Spared Myself Of Course

So far we have

Lard Bazaar

CaptainChorizo

the_engineer

Dr. Zorders

Death Impends

Toast

Estuarian Float

Haha. I still want to play....... even though I have only 12 points to play with (as of today anyway). Might be a bit useful if you tell us when it starts UK time. And if you'd mentioned the fact that it's on Sunday.

Post a picture of the deceased with an object or in a situation that alludes to the name of a known former KY Derby horse (I will judge whether it is too vague or not.)

hqdefault.jpg

I'd like to claim a bonus for this photo which is a clear reference to the winner of the 1886 Kentucky Derby, Ben Ali

• Like 2

Not to be outdone, here's a picture of Tony Benn with UK faux-working-class leftie loudmouth Owen Jones

23_fullsize.jpg

Er, hopefully that's not too vague an association with the 2004 runner-up Smarty Jones?

Oh and here's a picture of Ariel Sharon during the 1967 Six-Day-War. He was a general by that time. Surely that's not too far off the 1937 winner "War Admiral"? Or if you don't like that you could have "War Emblem" the 2002 winner, since he has that thingy on his shoulders that shows his rank?

Ariel-Sharon-1973_inside_full_content_pm_v8.jpg

Edit: Also I just spotted the 1970 winner "Dust Commander", and obviously the war took place in very dusty landscape. Thought I'd better name that one before someone else tries to nick it.....

:D Nice pics. Rack up them points!

So unfortunate that I have to use pictures of Felix Glenny... But anyway...

Here's a pic of him getting another kiss from his bride after the ceremony which alludes to 2012 winner I'll Have Another. He's also got a red rose!

girl2.jpg

Haha. I still want to play....... even though I have only 12 points to play with (as of today anyway). Might be a bit useful if you tell us when it starts UK time. And if you'd mentioned the fact that it's on Sunday.

The race is set on Saturday at 6:24 PM local time. Which means 11:24 PM London time.

Just a few hours away. I guess I'll put my money on Uncle Sigh