Jo Bryant Cardiac Sarcoma

21 replies to this topic

#21 charon

Looking for coin

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,916 posts

Posted 13 June 2012 - 06:00 PM

David Bryants daughter (the bowler with the pipe) maybe?

Ach, who cares.
And what rough beast, its hour come round at last,
Slouches towards Bethlehem to be born?

#22 DevonDeathTrip

Tractor Eater

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,070 posts

Posted 13 June 2012 - 08:42 PM

OK, it was me who started this and it will be me who finishes it as well.

When I made the original post in the dark recesses of the "Fringes of Fame" thread, I didn't think at the time that JB needed her own thread and I haven't changed my mind about that. I am uncomfortable with the idea of starting something specifically to court outrage, for me that has never been what Deathlist is about. Don't get me wrong, I enjoyed the Emlyn Hughes and Paul Hunter threads as much as anyone else on here, but, IMO, setting out to reel in the ranters in this instance wouldn't be right. Or perhaps I mean to say even more wrong than usual.

The third objector on this thread came up with the usual, tedious drivel that others have already chosen to swat away. The second ranter appears to be confused. However our first guest came up with some pertinent points which have so far been ignored. I will attempt to remedy this now.

View PostEnough, on 12 June 2012 - 03:21 PM, said:

Tractor Eater - you seem to be unaware of the fact that "cancer sufferer Jo Bryant" is in fact a human being, a human being who is not only awe-inspiring in her daily fight against a tragic and savage diagnosis but also courageous in her efforts to raise awareness of it. You should be ashamed of your callous and cold-hearted message. Your senseless arrogance is disgusting.

I am, of course, pefectly aware of her humanity. Should I have mentioned her at all? Probably not, but as someone with a slight grasp of oncology, perhaps I lost sight of her humanity too much in the face of her extremely rare diagnosis. Unfortunately I stand by my original assertation about her prognosis and the likelyhood of national press interest in her case. However, I am also big and ugly enough to admit that my choice of words was wrong, particularly the second sentence of my post. I am sorry and I understand that, based on that particular post, a passing visitor to this site would think that I was being callous. Cold hearted? Sometimes yes, I'm afraid so. I've always seen it as a way of counterbalancing the time I have to be warm hearted and believe me, guest, that's all of the time I'm not on here. Arrogant? Definitely not. Strange as it may seem to you, I am in fact a sensitive soul and have spent much of the day mulling over your post. I'm guessing that you know the person concerned and I realise that you inhabit the moral high ground here. Although I am not ashamed, I do feel a little chastened and will attempt to be a better person in the future. If you can take any satisfaction from this episode, guest, perhaps it will be because these attempts will, in a roundabout way, have been inspired by Jo Bryant.

I am going to lock this thread now. I know that other members will not agree with what I have written and I may be abusing my mod powers a bit here, but I'd prefer it if this discussion was now concluded.

DDT
Sometimes when we see the eyes- those horrible times when we see the eyes,eyes that ... that have no soul - then we know a darkness.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users