60 replies to this topic

#1 Anubis the Jackal

Anubis the Jackal

Twunt Master

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,114 posts

Posted 10 May 2012 - 06:01 PM

A mate has started this rather wonderful tribute site to the lesser-known but often supremely talented bit-part players of stage and screen.

http://familiar-unkn...blogspot.co.uk/

A few good names in there for end-of-year lists
Pardon me but I got to run
The fact's uncommonly clear
I got to find who's now the number one
And why my angel eyes ain't here

Excuse me while I disappear

#2 Spade_Cooley

Spade_Cooley

Rich Homie Quantick

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,015 posts

Posted 10 May 2012 - 06:24 PM

I sold some books on Amazon a few years ago, and one of them was purchased by Michael Fenton Stevens. He's only 54 though.
"I have never killed a man, but I have read many obituaries with great pleasure." - Clarence Darrow

"Get back to task and participate, or you will come with us at the finale to dance, although there will be shocking deaths. Yoshi is coming for me." - Pikalin Soutdalany

#3 Bibliogryphon

Bibliogryphon

I REALLY Need To Get A Life!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,158 posts

Posted 17 May 2012 - 12:00 PM

Roy Dotrice (father to oooh Betty Michelle) will be 90 next year but he is said to be appearing in the Game of Thrones mini series

"I appear to have bypassed my good taste chip"

2015 DDP Teams: (2014)

Bibliogryphon's Bookworm Food (Theme Team) 1/20 (5/20 - =7th Theme Team League (=68th))
I Can't Believe They're Not Deader 1/20 (2/20 =351st)
Unusual Suspects 0/20 (5/20 =114th)

Winner of 2014 Inverse Deadpool

2015 Shadow List

Sam Simon/Billy Graham/Zsa Zsa Gabor/B B King/Joao Havelange/Olivia de Havilland/Peter Sallis/Kirk Douglas/Muhammad Ali/Mary Tyler Moore/George Bush Snr/Tony Booth/Leonard Nimoy/Paul Gascoigne/Leslie Philips/Denis Healey/Liz Dawn/Herman Wouk/Richard Adams/Vera Lynn/Jean Alexander/Glenn Campbell/Fats Domino/Fidel Castro/Bhumibol Adulyadej/Jake Lamotta/Robert Mugabe/Lord Carrington/Peter O’Sullevan/Abdelaziz Bouteflika/Helmut Schmidt/Joost van der Westhuizen/Phil Spector/Rob Ford/Bill Maynard/Denis Norden/Abe Vigoda/Rodney Bewes/Prince Philip, Duke of Edinburgh/Manuel Noriega/Douglas Hurd/Clive James/Kim Jong-Un/Ali Carter/Nancy Reagan/Ronnie Corbett/Cliff Mitchelmore/Peter Sutcliffe/ Christopher Lee/ Ian Brady

#4 Bibliogryphon

Bibliogryphon

• Members
  • 2,158 posts

Posted 28 May 2012 - 12:22 PM

For your consideration veteren theatre actor Richard Pasco, CBE (b.1926) who is married to Barbara Leigh-Hunt (b.1935). Barbara is best known for her performance as Lady Catherine de Burgh in the BBC adaptation of Pride & Prejudice which was made in 1995 and I was surprised to find she was still alive.

Bibliogryphon's Bookworm Food (Theme Team) 1/20 (5/20 - =7th Theme Team League (=68th))

2015 Shadow List

Sam Simon/Billy Graham/Zsa Zsa Gabor/B B King/Joao Havelange/Olivia de Havilland/Peter Sallis/Kirk Douglas/Muhammad Ali/Mary Tyler Moore/George Bush Snr/Tony Booth/Leonard Nimoy/Paul Gascoigne/Leslie Philips/Denis Healey/Liz Dawn/Herman Wouk/Richard Adams/Vera Lynn/Jean Alexander/Glenn Campbell/Fats Domino/Fidel Castro/Bhumibol Adulyadej/Jake Lamotta/Robert Mugabe/Lord Carrington/Peter O’Sullevan/Abdelaziz Bouteflika/Helmut Schmidt/Joost van der Westhuizen/Phil Spector/Rob Ford/Bill Maynard/Denis Norden/Abe Vigoda/Rodney Bewes/Prince Philip, Duke of Edinburgh/Manuel Noriega/Douglas Hurd/Clive James/Kim Jong-Un/Ali Carter/Nancy Reagan/Ronnie Corbett/Cliff Mitchelmore/Peter Sutcliffe/ Christopher Lee/ Ian Brady

#5 Bibliogryphon

Bibliogryphon

• Members
  • 2,158 posts

Posted 20 July 2012 - 12:56 PM

For your consideration veteren theatre actor Richard Pasco, CBE (b.1926) who is married to Barbara Leigh-Hunt (b.1935). Barbara is best known for her performance as Lady Catherine de Burgh in the BBC adaptation of Pride & Prejudice which was made in 1995 and I was surprised to find she was still alive.

I was watching said adaptation last night at the behest of my wife and daughter and I wondered about some of the older members of the cast particularly Benjamin Whitrow (Mr Bennett) b.1937 and Christopher Benjamin (Sir William Lucas) b.1934 both still with us and both look like they have enjoyed fine food and wine.

2015 Shadow List

#6 JR976evil

JR976evil

I Need To Get A Life!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,587 posts

Posted 20 July 2012 - 10:34 PM

Zara Nutley, who was best known for supporting roles in Mind Your Language and Never the Twain, apparently is in a nursing home but there is no listed date of birth or even year. Does anyone know?

#7 Phantom

Phantom

uber twunt

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,608 posts

Posted 20 July 2012 - 10:52 PM

Zara Nutley, who was best known for supporting roles in Mind Your Language and Never the Twain, apparently is in a nursing home but there is no listed date of birth or even year. Does anyone know?

June 12, 1926 (age 86) is the info I was able to find

A good line never dies
It just smells funny

----
DDP 2015 - 1/20

Lauren Hilljoker.gif, Little Jimmy Dickens, Sylvia Miles, Liz Dawn, Joao Havelenge, Sam Simon, Chris Woodhead, Billy Graham, Daisy Berkowitz, Stephen Lewis, Jimmy Perry, Peter Sutcliffe, Ian Brady, Peter Vaughan, John Stevenson, Jerry Maren, Ian St. John, Patricia Hitchcock, Robert M. Pirsig, Nancy Reagan

2015 Shadow List

1/50

Jean Alexander, Muhammed Ali, Daisy Berkowitz, Tom "Dynamite Kid" Billington, Ian Brady, George H.W Bush, Jacques Chirac, Beverly Cleary, George Cole, Liz Dawn, Little Jimmy Dickens, Bob Dole, Clarissa Eden, Janet Fielding, June Foray, Zsa Zsa Gabor, Gaston Glock, Billy Graham, "Superstar" Billy Graham, Joao Havelange, Lauren Hill, Patricia Hitchcock, Clive James, B.B. King, Helmut Kohl, Stephen Lewis, Jerry Maren, Sylvia Miles, Al Molinaro, Mary Tyler Moore, Hosni Mubarak, Robert Mugabe, Les Munro, Leonard Nimoy, Denis Norden, Maureen O'Hara, Jimmy Perry, Leslie Phillips, Nancy Reagan, Don Rickles, Sonny Rollins, Peter Sallis, Helmut Schmidt, Sam Simon, Dudley Simpson, Ian St. John, Percy Sledge, Peter Sutcliffe, Peter Vaughan, Chris Woodhead

Winner of the 2014 Wojciech Jarulzelski sweepstakes

DDP 2014 4/20 - Joint 71st

DDP 2013 11/20 - Joint 24th

DDP 2012 8/20 - Joint 47th

#8 JR976evil

JR976evil

I Need To Get A Life!

• Members
  • 1,587 posts

Posted 21 July 2012 - 03:46 AM

Thanks for that :)

Worthy of consideration I'd say, her passing wouldn't generate a huge amount of press coverage by any means but enough to meet the criteria

#9 Phantom

Phantom

uber twunt

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,608 posts

Posted 21 July 2012 - 04:06 AM

Thanks for that :)

Worthy of consideration I'd say, her passing wouldn't generate a huge amount of press coverage by any means but enough to meet the criteria

I don't know if it's entirely accurate, as there was just one entry that had her D.O.B.

A good line never dies
It just smells funny

----
DDP 2015 - 1/20

Lauren Hilljoker.gif, Little Jimmy Dickens, Sylvia Miles, Liz Dawn, Joao Havelenge, Sam Simon, Chris Woodhead, Billy Graham, Daisy Berkowitz, Stephen Lewis, Jimmy Perry, Peter Sutcliffe, Ian Brady, Peter Vaughan, John Stevenson, Jerry Maren, Ian St. John, Patricia Hitchcock, Robert M. Pirsig, Nancy Reagan

2015 Shadow List

1/50

Jean Alexander, Muhammed Ali, Daisy Berkowitz, Tom "Dynamite Kid" Billington, Ian Brady, George H.W Bush, Jacques Chirac, Beverly Cleary, George Cole, Liz Dawn, Little Jimmy Dickens, Bob Dole, Clarissa Eden, Janet Fielding, June Foray, Zsa Zsa Gabor, Gaston Glock, Billy Graham, "Superstar" Billy Graham, Joao Havelange, Lauren Hill, Patricia Hitchcock, Clive James, B.B. King, Helmut Kohl, Stephen Lewis, Jerry Maren, Sylvia Miles, Al Molinaro, Mary Tyler Moore, Hosni Mubarak, Robert Mugabe, Les Munro, Leonard Nimoy, Denis Norden, Maureen O'Hara, Jimmy Perry, Leslie Phillips, Nancy Reagan, Don Rickles, Sonny Rollins, Peter Sallis, Helmut Schmidt, Sam Simon, Dudley Simpson, Ian St. John, Percy Sledge, Peter Sutcliffe, Peter Vaughan, Chris Woodhead

Winner of the 2014 Wojciech Jarulzelski sweepstakes

DDP 2014 4/20 - Joint 71st

DDP 2013 11/20 - Joint 24th

DDP 2012 8/20 - Joint 47th

#10 adrian0719

adrian0719

Executioner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 546 posts

Posted 30 July 2012 - 01:22 AM

If you were willing to change this title to just 'Character Actors', may I just suggest Ellen Albertini Dow. She played Disco Dot in my favourite film, 54 and a lot of grannies. 94 in November.

DDP: I will not die, it's the world that will end!: Colin Bloomfield, Sam Simon, Vojislav Seselj, Hans Breukhoven, Martin Crowe, Rob Ford, George Alagiah, Percy Sledge, Henning Mankell, Wilko Johnson, Valerie Harper, Joost van der Westhuizen, Daisy Berkowitz, Caroline Aherne, Jules Bianchi, Jorge Zorreguieta, Francis George, Pat Rice, Mike Porcaro, Ryuichi Sakamato

DDP Theme Team: Blue in the Blood, and in the Face: Qaboos bin Said al Said, Prince Philip, Margaret Rhodes, Eric Lubbock, Patricia Knatchbull, Anthony Armstrong-Jones, Prince Kardam of Turnovo, Michael I of Romania, Grand Duke Jean of Luxembourg, Juan Carlos I of Spain, Queen Sirikit, Bhumibol Adulyadej, Abdullah bin Abulaziz Al-Saud, Sabah Al-Ahmad Al-Jaber Al-Sabah, Peter Carrington, Claus von Bülow, Prince Mikasa, Salman bin Abulaziz Al Saud, Marella Agnelli, Hubert de Givenchy

Shadow: Jerry Maren, Vera Lynn, Clarissa Eden, Bernard Lewis, Sheila Sim, Jerry Tarkanian, Chris Sager, Kenneth Kaunda, William Schallert, Yogi Berra, John B. Anderson, Dorothy Malone, Ralph Hauenstein, Dickie Moore, Jimmy Lydon, John Forbes Nash, Jean Doré, Jim Ed Brown, Bart Starr, Mike Slive, John Warner, Gordie Howe, Judy Martz, Bryan Muarry, Danielle Darrieux, John Dingell, Ursula Franklin, Harry Whitington, Yasuhiro Nakasone, Desmond Tutu, Muhammad Ali, Hugh Downs, Robert Mugabe, George H.W. Bush, John Paul Stevens, Carol Channing, Honor Blackman, BB King, Diana Dill, Grant Tinker, Rudy Behlmer, Abdelaziz Bouteflika, Kirk Douglas, Rev. Billy Graham, Joao Havelange, Nancy Reagan, Zsa Zsa Gabor, Olivia deHavilland, Fidel Castro, Little Jimmy Dickens

#11 harrymcnallysblueandwhitearmy

harrymcnallysblueandwhitearmy

It's God shit!

• Members
  • 1,565 posts

Posted 16 October 2012 - 09:57 AM

A mate has started this rather wonderful tribute site to the lesser-known but often supremely talented bit-part players of stage and screen.

Posted Image
I see the recently-departed (and already mentioned, yes I fucking know, before some twat points it out) John Clive was added to that site just four days before Dicky O. I remember him best as the camp tourist who had his would-be boyfriend nicked by Sally Geeson in Carry On Abroad... which probably says more about my film tastes than I ought to admit, considering he was also in The Italian Job, A Clockwork Orange and Yellow Submarine.
  • Lord Fellatio Nelson likes this

why, you little...

#12 Guest_Guest_*

Guest_Guest_*
  • Guests

Posted 18 October 2012 - 11:29 AM

Is that John Clive in that pic? I didn't recognise the name when I heard he'd died b ut I definately can recall seeing that face on tv a lot as a kid.No idea what shows though. RIP

#13 lorna doom

lorna doom

Hatchet man

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 60 posts

Posted 19 October 2012 - 12:06 AM

John Stride may be worth watching.....not a well man apparently.

#14 themaninblack

themaninblack

Pun Plunderer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,353 posts

Posted 14 November 2012 - 11:04 AM

Well one character actor that'll no longer get the call is Roger Hammond who has died aged 76.

A classic "you know him when you see him" actor. I remember him best from the 'Red-headed League' episode of 'The Adventures of Sherlock Holmes' in 1984.

Not been a great year for character actors, what with John Clive, Geoffrey Hughes and James Grout biting the dust...
"I must have killed more men than Cecil B. DeMille."

Gene Wilder as "the Waco Kid", Blazing Saddles (1974)

#15 Bibliogryphon

Bibliogryphon

• Members
  • 2,158 posts

Posted 14 November 2012 - 12:48 PM

I just had to check up to see whether John Savident was still alive and he is. Now aged 74.

He is best known for playing Fred Elliott in Coronation Street but the more discerning amongst us will remeber his very creepy and camp turn as Egrorian in the excellent Blake's 7 episode "Orbit".

He hit the headlines several years ago when he was stabbed in the neck at his home by someone he met in a bar.

2015 Shadow List

#16 Guest_Guest_*

Guest_Guest_*
  • Guests

Posted 14 November 2012 - 12:53 PM

What about Margery Mason?

Turning 100 next year qualifies her for being mentioned...

#17 Lord Fellatio Nelson

Lord Fellatio Nelson

Post twunt

• Members
  • 2,276 posts

Posted 14 November 2012 - 07:57 PM

Posted Image
I see the recently-departed (and already mentioned, yes I fucking know, before some twat points it out) John Clive was added to that site just four days before Dicky O. I remember him best as the camp tourist who had his would-be boyfriend nicked by Sally Geeson in Carry On Abroad... which probably says more about my film tastes than I ought to admit, considering he was also in The Italian Job, A Clockwork Orange and Yellow Submarine.

You forgot this one Harry........
Twas good being young in the 70s.

The first to ask "Is he dead yet?" about Castro...............ignore piss poor imitators. :D

2015 Hartlepool Deadly Pool Team: The Wankers Arms PH

Candidates:
Olivia De Havilland
Carol Channing
Ronnie Corbett
Kirk Douglas
Jimmy Hill
Doris Day
Abe Vigoda
Maureen O'Hara
Clifton James
Louis Jourdan

Subs: Sean Connery and Christopher Lee

#18 themaninblack

themaninblack

Pun Plunderer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,353 posts

Posted 14 November 2012 - 08:07 PM

Posted Image

If I didn't know better I'd say that was Sylvester McCoy on the left of that group of robots...
"I must have killed more men than Cecil B. DeMille."

Gene Wilder as "the Waco Kid", Blazing Saddles (1974)

#19 Lord Fellatio Nelson

Lord Fellatio Nelson

Post twunt

• Members
  • 2,276 posts

Posted 14 November 2012 - 08:12 PM

Posted Image

If I didn't know better I'd say that was Sylvester McCoy on the left of that group of robots...

I think you are correct. On the far right is Christopher Biggins.
Such a small world is showbusiness, eh!

The first to ask "Is he dead yet?" about Castro...............ignore piss poor imitators. :D

2015 Hartlepool Deadly Pool Team: The Wankers Arms PH

Candidates:
Olivia De Havilland
Carol Channing
Ronnie Corbett
Kirk Douglas
Jimmy Hill
Doris Day
Abe Vigoda
Maureen O'Hara
Clifton James
Louis Jourdan

Subs: Sean Connery and Christopher Lee

#20 Guest_Droosy_*

Guest_Droosy_*
  • Guests

Posted 15 November 2012 - 10:31 AM

Was Roger Hammond <http://www.guardian..../roger-hammond> a character actor??

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users