actors british alive

27 replies to this topic

#1 Anubis the Jackal

Twunt Master

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,114 posts

Posted 10 May 2012 - 06:01 PM

A mate has started this rather wonderful tribute site to the lesser-known but often supremely talented bit-part players of stage and screen.

http://familiar-unkn...blogspot.co.uk/

A few good names in there for end-of-year lists
Pardon me but I got to run
The fact's uncommonly clear
I got to find who's now the number one
And why my angel eyes ain't here

Excuse me while I disappear

#2 Spade_Cooley

Rich Homie Quantick

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,662 posts

Posted 10 May 2012 - 06:24 PM

I sold some books on Amazon a few years ago, and one of them was purchased by Michael Fenton Stevens. He's only 54 though.
"I have never killed a man, but I have read many obituaries with great pleasure." - Clarence Darrow

"Get back to task and participate, or you will come with us at the finale to dance, although there will be shocking deaths. Yoshi is coming for me." - Pikalin Soutdalany

#3 Bibliogryphon

Post-Twunt

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,329 posts

Posted 17 May 2012 - 12:00 PM

Roy Dotrice (father to oooh Betty Michelle) will be 90 next year but he is said to be appearing in the Game of Thrones mini series
"I appear to have bypassed my good taste chip"

2013 DDP Teams:

Bibliogryphon's Bookworm Food (Theme Team)
I Can't Believe They're Not Deader
Unusual Suspects

#4 Bibliogryphon

Post-Twunt

• Members
  • 1,329 posts

Posted 28 May 2012 - 12:22 PM

For your consideration veteren theatre actor Richard Pasco, CBE (b.1926) who is married to Barbara Leigh-Hunt (b.1935). Barbara is best known for her performance as Lady Catherine de Burgh in the BBC adaptation of Pride & Prejudice which was made in 1995 and I was surprised to find she was still alive.

2013 DDP Teams:

Unusual Suspects

#5 Bibliogryphon

Post-Twunt

• Members
  • 1,329 posts

Posted 20 July 2012 - 12:56 PM

View PostBibliogryphon, on 28 May 2012 - 12:22 PM, said:

For your consideration veteren theatre actor Richard Pasco, CBE (b.1926) who is married to Barbara Leigh-Hunt (b.1935). Barbara is best known for her performance as Lady Catherine de Burgh in the BBC adaptation of Pride & Prejudice which was made in 1995 and I was surprised to find she was still alive.

I was watching said adaptation last night at the behest of my wife and daughter and I wondered about some of the older members of the cast particularly Benjamin Whitrow (Mr Bennett) b.1937 and Christopher Benjamin (Sir William Lucas) b.1934 both still with us and both look like they have enjoyed fine food and wine.

2013 DDP Teams:

Unusual Suspects

#6 JR976evil

I Need To Get A Life!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,542 posts

Posted 20 July 2012 - 10:34 PM

Zara Nutley, who was best known for supporting roles in Mind Your Language and Never the Twain, apparently is in a nursing home but there is no listed date of birth or even year. Does anyone know?

#7 Phantom

uber twunt

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,018 posts

Posted 20 July 2012 - 10:52 PM

View PostJR976evil, on 20 July 2012 - 10:34 PM, said:

Zara Nutley, who was best known for supporting roles in Mind Your Language and Never the Twain, apparently is in a nursing home but there is no listed date of birth or even year. Does anyone know?

June 12, 1926 (age 86) is the info I was able to find

A good line never dies
It just smells funny

----

DDP 2014 1/20
Jim Bamber , Ryan Buell, Katherine Crowe Posted Image, Liz Dawn, Ruth Duccini, Janet Fielding, Zsa Zsa Gabor , Billy Graham,"Superstar" Billy Graham, Rolf Harris, Joao Havelange, Bobby Heenan, Wojciech Jarulzelski, Wilko Johnson, Stephen Lewis, Jerry Maren, Les Munro, Sonny Rollins, Sam Simon, Gough Whitlam

DDP 2012 8/20 - Joint 47th

DDP 2013 11/20 - Joint 24th

#8 JR976evil

I Need To Get A Life!

• Members
  • 1,542 posts

Posted 21 July 2012 - 03:46 AM

View PostPhantom, on 20 July 2012 - 10:52 PM, said:

Thanks for that :)

Worthy of consideration I'd say, her passing wouldn't generate a huge amount of press coverage by any means but enough to meet the criteria

#9 Phantom

uber twunt

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,018 posts

Posted 21 July 2012 - 04:06 AM

View PostJR976evil, on 21 July 2012 - 03:46 AM, said:

View PostPhantom, on 20 July 2012 - 10:52 PM, said:

Thanks for that :)

Worthy of consideration I'd say, her passing wouldn't generate a huge amount of press coverage by any means but enough to meet the criteria

I don't know if it's entirely accurate, as there was just one entry that had her D.O.B.

A good line never dies
It just smells funny

----

DDP 2014 1/20
Jim Bamber , Ryan Buell, Katherine Crowe Posted Image, Liz Dawn, Ruth Duccini, Janet Fielding, Zsa Zsa Gabor , Billy Graham,"Superstar" Billy Graham, Rolf Harris, Joao Havelange, Bobby Heenan, Wojciech Jarulzelski, Wilko Johnson, Stephen Lewis, Jerry Maren, Les Munro, Sonny Rollins, Sam Simon, Gough Whitlam

DDP 2012 8/20 - Joint 47th

DDP 2013 11/20 - Joint 24th

#10 adrian0719

Executioner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 525 posts

Posted 30 July 2012 - 01:22 AM

If you were willing to change this title to just 'Character Actors', may I just suggest Ellen Albertini Dow. She played Disco Dot in my favourite film, 54 and a lot of grannies. 94 in November.
DDP: I will not die, it's the world that will end!: Sam Simon, Michael Schumacher, Sandy Jardine, Wilko Johnson, Candye Kane, Ryan Glenny, Lynne Stewart, Joost van der Westhuizen, Daisy Berkowitz, Clive James, Rev. Billy Graham, Casey Kasem, Mike Porcaro, Darren Daulton, Wubbo Ockels, Mike Burney, Sally Farmiloe, Pat Rice, Valerie Harper, David Norris

DDP Theme Team: The British (D)i(e)sles: Katherine Crowe, Mary Wilson, Doug Ellis, Maureen O’Hara, Peter Maxwell Davies, Albert Reynolds,
Tony Benn, John Bardon, Chris Woodhead, James Alexander Gordon, Liz Dawn, Peter Carrington, Jimmy Hill, Ethel Lang, Henry McCullough, Penny Calvert, Prince Philip, Christopher Lee, Ian Paisley, Murray Walker

Shadow: Jay Lake, Alby Schultz, Abdullah bin Abdul-Aziz Al Saud, Little Jimmy Dickens, Wojciech Jaruzelski, Chespirito, June Foray, Dawn Sears, Kate Bornstein, Frances Oldham Kelly, Kim Kyong-hui,
Bunny Mellon, Ellen Albertini Dow, Bob Dole, Hutton Gibson, Joao Havelange, Carlo Azeglio Ciampi, Ramon Jose Velasquez, Carman, Dora Bryan, Noel Neill, Abdul Sattar Edhil, Alicia Alonso, Kirk Douglas, Misao Okawa, Joan Kirner, Nancy Reagan, Raymond Gravel, Robert Schuller, Olivia de Havilland, Bess Myerson, Norman Lear, Zsa Zsa Gabor, Fidel Castro, Nuon Chea, Raul H. Castro, Mario Oriano-Ambrosini, Akkineni Nageswara Rao, George H.W. Bush, Joe Lala, Dean Bailey, Margherita Marchione, Robert Mugabe, Ieng Thirith, Don Rickles, Adolfo Suarez, Ariel Sharon, Gough Whitlam, Superstar Billy Graham

#11 harrymcnallysblueandwhitearmy

It's God shit!

• Members
  • 1,565 posts

Posted 16 October 2012 - 09:57 AM

View PostAnubis the Jackal, on 10 May 2012 - 06:01 PM, said:

A mate has started this rather wonderful tribute site to the lesser-known but often supremely talented bit-part players of stage and screen.

Posted Image
I see the recently-departed (and already mentioned, yes I fucking know, before some twat points it out) John Clive was added to that site just four days before Dicky O. I remember him best as the camp tourist who had his would-be boyfriend nicked by Sally Geeson in Carry On Abroad... which probably says more about my film tastes than I ought to admit, considering he was also in The Italian Job, A Clockwork Orange and Yellow Submarine.

why, you little...

#12 Guest_Guest_*

• Guests

Posted 18 October 2012 - 11:29 AM

Is that John Clive in that pic? I didn't recognise the name when I heard he'd died b ut I definately can recall seeing that face on tv a lot as a kid.No idea what shows though. RIP

#13 lorna doom

Hatchet man

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 59 posts

Posted 19 October 2012 - 12:06 AM

John Stride may be worth watching.....not a well man apparently.

#14 themaninblack

Pun Plunderer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,978 posts

Posted 14 November 2012 - 11:04 AM

Well one character actor that'll no longer get the call is Roger Hammond who has died aged 76.

A classic "you know him when you see him" actor. I remember him best from the 'Red-headed League' episode of 'The Adventures of Sherlock Holmes' in 1984.

Not been a great year for character actors, what with John Clive, Geoffrey Hughes and James Grout biting the dust...
"I must have killed more men than Cecil B. DeMille."

Gene Wilder as "the Waco Kid", Blazing Saddles (1974)

#15 Bibliogryphon

Post-Twunt

• Members
  • 1,329 posts

Posted 14 November 2012 - 12:48 PM

I just had to check up to see whether John Savident was still alive and he is. Now aged 74.

He is best known for playing Fred Elliott in Coronation Street but the more discerning amongst us will remeber his very creepy and camp turn as Egrorian in the excellent Blake's 7 episode "Orbit".

He hit the headlines several years ago when he was stabbed in the neck at his home by someone he met in a bar.

2013 DDP Teams:

Unusual Suspects

#16 Guest_Guest_*

• Guests

Posted 14 November 2012 - 12:53 PM

What about Margery Mason?

Turning 100 next year qualifies her for being mentioned...

#17 Lord Fellatio Nelson

Post twunt

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,043 posts

Posted 14 November 2012 - 07:57 PM

View Postharrymcnallysblueandwhitearmy, on 16 October 2012 - 09:57 AM, said:

Posted Image
I see the recently-departed (and already mentioned, yes I fucking know, before some twat points it out) John Clive was added to that site just four days before Dicky O. I remember him best as the camp tourist who had his would-be boyfriend nicked by Sally Geeson in Carry On Abroad... which probably says more about my film tastes than I ought to admit, considering he was also in The Italian Job, A Clockwork Orange and Yellow Submarine.
You forgot this one Harry........
Twas good being young in the 70s.
2014 Hartlepool Deadly Pool Team: The Wankers Arms PH
Candidates:
Olivia De Havilland
Carol Channing
Eli Wallach
Kirk Douglas
Jimmy Hill
Luise Ranier
Abe Vigoda
Paul Gascoigne
Clifton James
Sid Caesar

Subs: Maureen O'Hara and Christopher Lee

#18 themaninblack

Pun Plunderer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,978 posts

Posted 14 November 2012 - 08:07 PM

View PostLord Fellatio Nelson, on 14 November 2012 - 07:57 PM, said:

Posted Image

If I didn't know better I'd say that was Sylvester McCoy on the left of that group of robots...
"I must have killed more men than Cecil B. DeMille."

Gene Wilder as "the Waco Kid", Blazing Saddles (1974)

#19 Lord Fellatio Nelson

Post twunt

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,043 posts

Posted 14 November 2012 - 08:12 PM

View Postthemaninblack, on 14 November 2012 - 08:07 PM, said:

View PostLord Fellatio Nelson, on 14 November 2012 - 07:57 PM, said:

Posted Image

If I didn't know better I'd say that was Sylvester McCoy on the left of that group of robots...
I think you are correct. On the far right is Christopher Biggins.
Such a small world is showbusiness, eh!
2014 Hartlepool Deadly Pool Team: The Wankers Arms PH
Candidates:
Olivia De Havilland
Carol Channing
Eli Wallach
Kirk Douglas
Jimmy Hill
Luise Ranier
Abe Vigoda
Paul Gascoigne
Clifton James
Sid Caesar

Subs: Maureen O'Hara and Christopher Lee

#20 Guest_Droosy_*

• Guests

Posted 15 November 2012 - 10:31 AM

Was Roger Hammond <http://www.guardian.co.uk/stage/2012/nov/13/roger-hammond> a character actor??

Reply to this topic

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users