36. James Randi Magician/Skeptic

24 replies to this topic

#1 Tempus Fugit

Twunt Master

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,782 posts

Posted 10 February 2006 - 12:50 AM

James "The Amazing" Randi, has suffered a heart attack and undergone emergency bypass surgery.

The Amazing Randi is best known as a magician and debunker of the paranormal.
"I have a new philosophy. I'm only going to dread one day at a time."

It's been over 10 months since I was last 100% sober, not a day I want to repeat.

#2 Canadian Paul

uber twunt

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,132 posts

Posted 10 February 2006 - 01:12 AM

Tempus Fugit, on Feb 9 2006, 04:50 PM, said:

James "The Amazing" Randi, has suffered a heart attack and undergone emergency bypass surgery.

It's one to watch for sure. Too early to tell if he'll be an Alfredo di Stefano, an Ariel Sharon or a Shelley Winters yet...
Twunt Master Series (August 2007 - January 2008) (January 2008 - June 2008) (July 2008 - April 2009) (April 2009 - January 2010)

Uber Twunt Series (January 2010 - ?)

I still owe NAP

#3 Anubis the Jackal

Twunt Master

• Moderators
  • 3,114 posts

Posted 10 February 2006 - 10:09 AM

Tempus Fugit, on Feb 10 2006, 01:50 AM, said:

Noooo! The great man can't go yet, there's too much bullshit and flim-flam to laugh at!
Pardon me but I got to run
The fact's uncommonly clear
I got to find who's now the number one
And why my angel eyes ain't here

Excuse me while I disappear

#4 SalmonMousse

Bomber

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 169 posts

Posted 01 January 2012 - 09:59 AM

since I had to look him up. A magical mythbuster of charlatan entertainers making a buck from the masses using quackery.

http://en.wikipedia....iki/James_Randi

Bet he did not get a Christmas card from Uri
its a Mr Grim, he's come about the reaping....

#5 Magere Hein

Film land, Homer!

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,585 posts

Posted 01 January 2012 - 11:21 AM

Interesting choice, Randi.

His eventual passing will not go unnoticed, but will it be in 2012?

regards,
Hein
DDP 2014 team The Grey Horde:
King Abdullah of Saudi Arabia, Ayman al-Zawahiri, Lys Assia, Sister Wendy Beckett, Ryan Buell Posted Image,Jacques Chirac, Felix Dennis, Aretha Franklin, Ruth Bader Ginsburg, Marilyn Horne, Clive James, General Wojciech Jaruzelski, Wilko Johnson, Helmut Kohl, Joseph Kony, Misao Okawa, Bernie Madoff, Robert Mugabe, Julie Newmar, Michael Schumacher

DDP 2014 theme team Minions of Xuleneb:
King Albert II, Princess Beatrix, Prince Bernhard jr, Elco Brinkman, Corry Brokken, Dick Bruna, Raymond Ceulemans, Godfried Danneels, Piet de Jong, Mark Eyskens, Queen Fabiola Of Belgium Posted Image, Jan Janssen, Grand Duke Jean I of Luxembourg, Wubbo Ockels, Fernando Ricksen, Kees Rijvers, Wim Ruska, Toots Thielemans, Martinus J. G. Veltman, Geert Wilders

#6 Godot

In a minute

• Members
  • 3,860 posts

Posted 01 January 2012 - 01:07 PM

If this one passes the DL's fame test, then I'm a banana.
Ring down the curtain, the farce is over

#7 Spade_Cooley

Rich Homie Quantick

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,789 posts

Posted 01 January 2012 - 01:16 PM

View PostGodot, on 01 January 2012 - 01:07 PM, said:

Nah, gonna raise an objection on that one: I remember Randi being on British TV all the time as a nipper back in the 80s, I'm sure he used to do Aspel and Wogan and shit. Plus his endless dedication to trolling Uri Geller, combined with his One Million Dollar Paranormal Challenge, means he's a legit celebrity. Not a "BREAKING NEWS CANCEL EASTENDERS" when he dies death, but he'll get a BBC obituary.
"I have never killed a man, but I have read many obituaries with great pleasure." - Clarence Darrow

"Get back to task and participate, or you will come with us at the finale to dance, although there will be shocking deaths. Yoshi is coming for me." - Pikalin Soutdalany

#8 Godot

In a minute

• Members
  • 3,860 posts

Posted 01 January 2012 - 03:07 PM

View PostSpade_Cooley, on 01 January 2012 - 01:16 PM, said:

Nah, gonna raise an objection on that one: I remember Randi being on British TV all the time as a nipper back in the 80s, I'm sure he used to do Aspel and Wogan and shit. Plus his endless dedication to trolling Uri Geller, combined with his One Million Dollar Paranormal Challenge, means he's a legit celebrity. Not a "BREAKING NEWS CANCEL EASTENDERS" when he dies death, but he'll get a BBC obituary.

I didn't watch much telly during the 80s. The only person I remember accusing Geller of being a glorified magician was Ali Bongo. I see Randi has a big enough Wikipedia spread but that's hardly a fame test. I'd put him with Ruby Muhammad and Fergie Frederiksen as "not worthies" in what should be an unimpeachable fame test. Anyway it's all academic since the committee does as it likes as always. I'm still a banana. Your Casandra Jardine DDP pick is better known IMHO.

#9 sympathyforthedevil

Shipman

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 489 posts

Posted 01 January 2012 - 03:49 PM

Are you Ian Hislop?

#10 I.R.Baboon

Hatchet man

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 44 posts

Posted 04 January 2012 - 01:03 PM

<p>

View PostGodot, on 01 January 2012 - 03:07 PM, said:

<br />

View PostSpade_Cooley, on 01 January 2012 - 01:16 PM, said:

<br />

<br />
If this one passes the DL's fame test, then I'm a banana.<br />
<br />
<br />
Nah, gonna raise an objection on that one: I remember Randi being on British TV all the time as a nipper back in the 80s, I'm sure he used to do Aspel and Wogan and shit. Plus his endless dedication to trolling Uri Geller, combined with his One Million Dollar Paranormal Challenge, means he's a legit celebrity. Not a &quot;BREAKING NEWS CANCEL EASTENDERS&quot; when he dies death, but he'll get a BBC obituary.<br />
<br />
<br />
I didn't watch much telly during the 80s. The only person I remember accusing Geller of being a glorified magician was Ali Bongo. I see Randi has a big enough Wikipedia spread but that's hardly a fame test. I'd put him with Ruby Muhammad and Fergie Frederiksen as &quot;not worthies&quot; in what should be an unimpeachable fame test. Anyway it's all academic since the committee does as it likes as always. I'm still a banana. Your Casandra Jardine DDP pick is better known IMHO.<br />
Randi was mentioned in the (dutch) Hitchens-obituary i read 2 weeks ago, and is quite a celebrity on the internet, so he does pass my test (Frederiksen didn't).</p>

#11 Davey Jones' Locker

I Need To Get A Life!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,721 posts

Posted 05 January 2012 - 10:07 PM

James Randi is famous in Australia for being on the receiving end of this rant by American-born talk show host, Don Lane.

#12 sympathyforthedevil

Shipman

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 489 posts

Posted 05 January 2012 - 10:09 PM

View PostDavey Jones' Locker, on 05 January 2012 - 10:07 PM, said:

James Randi is famous in Australia for being on the receiving end of this rant by American-born talk show host, Don Lane.

haha that's classic! Apparently the audience applauded Lane for the rant, but he was then forced to offer an apology to Randi.

#13 Davey Jones' Locker

I Need To Get A Life!

• Members
  • 1,721 posts

Posted 05 January 2012 - 10:14 PM

View Postsympathyforthedevil, on 05 January 2012 - 10:09 PM, said:

View PostDavey Jones' Locker, on 05 January 2012 - 10:07 PM, said:

haha that's classic! Apparently the audience applauded Lane for the rant, but he was then forced to offer an apology to Randi.

They replay that clip all the time on TV over here. Years later, not long before Lane died, he was featured on the Aussie version of "This is Your Life" and James Randi came on to his enormous embarrassment and told him that he finally forgave him.

#14 Guest_Paddy_*

• Guests

Posted 02 February 2012 - 01:04 PM

James Randi is a hero, so I for one wouldn't question his fame status. Plus, when I googled "most influential sceptics", his wikipedia page came up as the second item. That ought to do.

#15 Godot

In a minute

• Members
  • 3,860 posts

Posted 02 February 2012 - 06:09 PM

I'm not saying Randi won't get an obituary. He's fine for DDP. But this is the Deathlist that has its own unwritten rules on fame. I think it would need to rewrite them if they weren't unwritten. It seems to me that whoever didn't write the rules knew what he wasn't doing.

Of course you might point to the wording of the blurb that heads the list and that allows for Mr Randi because of the fame test that appears to have undergone a subtle change or two over the years. There's no mention now of stars as there has been in the past. But it does still refer to celebrities. Now James Randi may well be a celebrity, and I may well be a banana.

On the other hand, after viewing this video, and what he did to those wankers like Geller and Popoff I find I've become his number one fan. I still think he wouldn't pass a vox pop but I have to agree now, James Randi is a superstar. I'll get back to my tree, still a bit green. Apologies to Davey Jones, Spade C, the DL committee and all other Randi fans. Wouldn't it be great if Popoff was eligible for the list.

#16 sympathyforthedevil

Shipman

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 489 posts

Posted 02 February 2012 - 09:27 PM

View PostGodot, on 02 February 2012 - 06:09 PM, said:

I'm not saying Randi won't get an obituary. He's fine for DDP. But this is the Deathlist that has its own unwritten rules on fame. I think it would need to rewrite them if they weren't unwritten. It seems to me that whoever didn't write the rules knew what he wasn't doing.

Of course you might point to the wording of the blurb that heads the list and that allows for Mr Randi because of the fame test that appears to have undergone a subtle change or two over the years. There's no mention now of stars as there has been in the past. But it does still refer to celebrities. Now James Randi may well be a celebrity, and I may well be a banana.

On the other hand, after viewing this video, and what he did to those wankers like Geller and Popoff I find I've become his number one fan. I still think he wouldn't pass a vox pop but I have to agree now, James Randi is a superstar. I'll get back to my tree, still a bit green. Apologies to Davey Jones, Spade C, the DL committee and all other Randi fans. Wouldn't it be great if Popoff was eligible for the list.

The evangelist thing was obvious even before Randi's explanation. But I like him nonetheless.

#17 Godot

In a minute

• Members
  • 3,860 posts

Posted 03 February 2012 - 12:00 AM

View Postsympathyforthedevil, on 02 February 2012 - 09:27 PM, said:

View PostGodot, on 02 February 2012 - 06:09 PM, said:

The evangelist thing was obvious even before Randi's explanation. But I like him nonetheless.

Most of this was new to me. I don't get out much.

#18 SalmonMousse

Bomber

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 169 posts

Posted 06 February 2012 - 07:19 PM

you and me both Godot
its a Mr Grim, he's come about the reaping....

#19 Bibliogryphon

I Need To Get A Life!

• Members
  • 1,633 posts

Posted 18 February 2014 - 12:27 PM

Apparently Penn Jillette (someone who I have heard of) is writting a biography of James Randi (someone who I had never heard of (until i started visiting the Deathlist))

Do you think he will be lucky with his timing and have it finished just in time to hit the shelves to coincide with his death?

Otherwise he will be left with a lot a waste paper that The Works would not even try to flog for 50p
"I appear to have bypassed my good taste chip"

2013 DDP Teams:

Bibliogryphon's Bookworm Food (Theme Team)
I Can't Believe They're Not Deader
Unusual Suspects

#20 59demon

Morbid interest

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9 posts

Posted 24 February 2014 - 04:52 PM

I don't typically know who most of the DeathList picks are until I 'Google' them any given year. I'm not sure if it's due to my youth or my locale (US). I couldn't have told you who Wilko Johnson, Eli Wallach, Gough Whitlam, Chapman Pincher, Luise Rainer, Joao Havelange, Clive James, Denis Healey, Chris Woodhead, ad infinitum were until I searched.

That being said, I certainly know who James Randi is. Brilliant man. I'll be sad to see him go.

Reply to this topic

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users