Derby Dead Pool 2012 DDPMMXII

398 replies to this topic

#1 themaninblack

Pun Plunderer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,175 posts

Posted 30 November 2011 - 09:06 PM

Right folks, it's that time of year again...

The rules...

and here's an excerpt from the email I'll be sending as to the procedure:

All I want is a team name, an email address, 20 nominations and a maximum of 3 subs. Make sure you have 20 different names and they all alive at the time you send the email out. Make sure the spelling is correct (although as we know from Mr. Al Megrahi, there are interpretations of names) and if the choices are obscure, that I am made aware of who they are (no need to explain who Nelson Mandela is for example, but if it's his brother-in-law or something, I probably do need to know). Also bear in mind there are some celebrities with similar or even identical names (Phil Taylor the darts player and Phil Taylor the ex-footballer for example). All this makes my job a lot easier.

Also put your subs in order so if one choice snuffs it, then I'll immediately replace them with the first sub on the list. I will inform you of this change when it happens.

Remember: unless indicated, the nominated joker is the one at the top of your list!

There is no reason to change the joker unless he/she carks it before December 31st, when I’ll ask you to nominate one. When you make the choice of joker, you have to stick to it. The same goes for the rest of the team. If you are re-entering under a different name, let me know what the previous name was for my records. If it's a theme team, let me know that it is, even if seems obvious looking at the list. You can enter theme and normal teams at your leisure, but put them as separate emails please, makes it better for me to count back on the ones I've received if there are any issues. There is a maximum number of 3 teams per individual (can be any combination of normal and theme teams) although I know in some cases that certain emails will contain many teams as part of a "syndicate" of different teams.

Good luck everybody!
"I must have killed more men than Cecil B. DeMille."

Gene Wilder as "the Waco Kid", Blazing Saddles (1974)

#2 Octopus of Odstock

Post twunt

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,825 posts

Posted 30 November 2011 - 09:29 PM

Huzzah! Well done on taking it on for another year, TMIB and I am looking forward to all the new little things on the site. You've taken it a lot further than I would've done had circumstance allowed me to keep it running.

I only hope I have a year more like 2010 than this year, though.

#3 themaninblack

Pun Plunderer

• Members
  • 6,175 posts

Posted 30 November 2011 - 09:32 PM

View PostOctopus of Odstock, on 30 November 2011 - 09:29 PM, said:

Huzzah! Well done on taking it on for another year, TMIB and I am looking forward to all the new little things on the site. You've taken it a lot further than I would've done had circumstance allowed me to keep it running.

I only hope I have a year more like 2010 than this year, though.

And there's more to come as I've done a few bits 'n pieces that will be revealed next year. Hopefully the process isn't going to be as problematic as last years...

#4 Rotten Ali

Value for money

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,215 posts

Posted 30 November 2011 - 09:39 PM

Epic work but I fear that the work load of handling 3 teams per entrant will be an emence job to undertake. How about limiting the third team squad can only contain those people already listed on the DDP this last year?
Yes Yes, Yes Yes... Yes (if only)
DL Shadow List: King Abdullah, Muhammad Ali, Sir Richard Attenborough, Tariq Aziz, Pope Benedict XVI, Tony Benn, Ian Brady, George HW Bush, Sid Caeser, Fidel Castro, George Cole, Katherine Crowe, Liz Dawn, Bob Dole, Kirk Douglas, Jean Claude Duvalier, Queen Fabiola of Belgium, Louis Farrakhan, Aretha Franklin, Zsa Zsa Gabor, James Garner, Ruth Bader Ginsburg, Mikhail Gorbachev, Billy Graham, King Harald V of Norway, Valerie Harper, Joao Havelange, Stephen Hawking, Jimmy Hill, Clive James, Yahya Jammeh, General Jaruzelski, Wilko Johnson, Casey Kasem, Stan Lee, Jerry Lee Lewis, Penny Marshall, T O N Mbasogo, Mary Tyler Moore, Hosni Mubarak, Ian Paisley, Nancy Reagan, Albert Reynolds, Ariel Sharon, Sam Simon, Jeremy Thorpe, Gough Whitlam, Lee Kuan Yew, Michael York & Jiang Zemin. 10/50

#5 themaninblack

Pun Plunderer

• Members
  • 6,175 posts

Posted 30 November 2011 - 09:52 PM

If too many come in then I might introduce an absolute limit, but most people will just send the one team....(he hopes)

#6 angryGreatness

Executioner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 657 posts

Posted 01 December 2011 - 01:53 AM

This'll be my first year competing, so this is quite exciting. :)

Why did you change the symbol for unique picks :ghost5: ?

#7 Body Snatcher 44

Chunder-er from Down Under

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 480 posts

Posted 01 December 2011 - 08:05 AM

View PostangryGreatness, on 01 December 2011 - 01:53 AM, said:

I'm hoping to enter the competition for the first time as well. I've drawn up a draft list but I think I might just sit on it for now and submit it closer to Christmas, just to see if anything changes.
BS' BC - 2009 = 4. BS' BC - 2010 = 7. BS' BC - 2011 = 8. BS' BC - 2012 = 12. BS' BC - 2013 = 12.

Body Snatcher's Body Count - 2014.
Blue=DDP
20 Australians. Lady Susan Renouf. Sir Jack Brabham. Bert Newton. Jarrod Lyle. Ken James. Lou Richards. Gough Whitlam. Bart Cummings. Darrell Eastlake. Prince Leonard I of Hutt. Jeanne Little. Reg Grundy. Stevie Wright. Joan Kirner. Betty Cuthbert. Rod Taylor. Clive James. Judy Moran. “Father Bob” Maguire. Alby Schultz. 10 Brits. Prince Philip, Duke of Edinburgh. John Cruickshank VC. Stephen Hawking. Jeremy Lloyd. Jimmy Hill. Wilko Johnson. Dame Vera Lynn. Sir Christopher Lee. Richard Attenborough. Bernard Fox. 10 Americans. George H.W. Bush. Kirk Douglas. Valerie Harper. Bob Dole. Olivia De Havilland. Nancy Reagan. Sam Simon. (Joker). Rev. Billy Graham. Sid Caesar. Muhammad Ali. 10 Citizens of the World. Liliane Bettencourt. Sir Run Run Shaw. Rev. Ian Paisley. Maureen O’Hara. Pope Benedict XVI. Louis Jourdan. Michael Schumacher. Zsa Zsa Gabor. Fidel Castro. General Wojciech Jaruzelski.

#8 Grande Pablo

Shipman

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 454 posts

Posted 02 December 2011 - 09:58 PM

I'm going to take a punt this year too. One question from one still a little wet behind the Deathlist ears - those with longer lists in their posts like Chunder above - are those lists purely for personal satisfaction?
DDP 2012 Morbid Midlands XX - 1/20 (Anthony Bate) =430th - 9 points

DDP 2013 Cannock Killing Club - 0/20 =531st - 0 points

DDP 2014 M6 Toll(ed) - 1/20
Tommy Mundon - Joker (d 21.07.14), Edward Clayton, Tom Coyne, Ed Doolan, Sir Doug Ellis, Jean Harvey (d 14.11.13 - bugger...), Anne Heywood, Vince Hill, Don Howe, Ace Kefford, Don Maclean, Brian Matthew, Peter McEnery, Valarie Minifie, Raymond Morris (d 11.03.14), Anna Quayle, Murray Walker, Billie Whitelaw, Leila Williams, Frank Windsor.

#9 angryGreatness

Executioner

• Members
  • 657 posts

Posted 02 December 2011 - 10:18 PM

View PostGrande Pablo, on 02 December 2011 - 09:58 PM, said:

I'm going to take a punt this year too. One question from one still a little wet behind the Deathlist ears - those with longer lists in their posts like Chunder above - are those lists purely for personal satisfaction?

All the lists over 20 names are usually either A) Lists for other Dead Pool competitions or B )Made just for fun.
DDP 2014:

Better Them Than Us!:
Daisy Berkowitz, Colin Bloomfield, Katherine Crowe Posted Image, Darren Daulton, Fred DeLuca, Sally Farmiloe, Dennis "Fergie" Frederiksen, Dr. Kate Granger, Valerie Harper, Clive James, Wilko Johnson, Carolyn McCarthy Posted Image, Graeme Pollock Posted Image, Mike Porcaro, Pat Rice, Amy Robach, Robert Schuller, Stuart Scott, Sam Simon, Joost Van Der Westhuizen

Evergreen State of Decay [Theme: People born in Washington]
Paul Allen, Bob Barker, Glenn Beck Posted Image, Jerry Cantrell Posted Image, Carol Channing Posted Image, Orson Scott Card Posted Image, John Elway Posted Image, Kenny G Posted Image, Bill Gates, Ben Gibbard Posted Image. Ben Haggerty Posted Image, Donald M. Kendall Posted Image, Amanda Knox Posted Image, Gary Larson Posted Image, Ryan Lewis Posted Image, Chuck Palahniuk Posted Image, Anthony Ray Posted Image, Adam West, Jim Whittaker Posted Image, Michael Winslow Posted Image

Died in Committee [Theme: Current and former Senators]
Daniel Akaka Posted Image, Birch Bayh Posted Image, Edward Brooke Posted Image, Tom Coburn Posted Image, Ted Cruz Posted Image, Jeremiah Denton Posted Image, Bob Dole, Dianne Feinstein Posted Image, John Glenn, Orrin Hatch Posted Image, Ernest "Fritz" Hollings, Tim Johnson Posted Image, Mark Kirk Posted Image, Paul Laxalt Posted Image, John McCain, Mitch McConnell Posted Image, Walter Mondale, Harry Reid, Jay Rockefeller Posted Image, John Warner Posted Image

ShadowList 2014:
Rev. Billy Graham, General Jaruzelski, George Bush, Olivia de Havilland, Kirk Douglas, John Glenn, Luise Rainer, Christopher Lee, Nancy Reagan, Eli Wallach, Zsa Zsa Gabor, Bob Dole, Beverly Cleary, Robert Mugabe, Chuck Berry, Al Molinaro, Stan Lee, Lyndon LaRouche,
Ariel Sharon, Don Pardo, Jim Leavelle, Boutros Boutros-Ghali, Don Rickles, June Foray, Mort Walker, Paul Laxalt, I.M. Pei, Edward Brooke, Pope Benedict XVI, Alan Young, Henry Kissinger, Hiroo Onoda, Chuck Yeager, Dr. Henry Heimlich, George Shultz, Vera Lynn, Mickey Rooney, Fidel Castro, Noel Neill, Jimmy Carter, Ben Bradlee, Mary Tyler Moore, Jack T. Chick, Jerry Lewis, Jake LaMotta, King Abdullah bin Abdul-Aziz, Helmut Schmidt, Harper Lee, Gloria Vanderbilt, Abe Vigoda

#10 themaninblack

Pun Plunderer

• Members
  • 6,175 posts

Posted 03 December 2011 - 09:19 AM

View PostangryGreatness, on 01 December 2011 - 01:53 AM, said:

I didn't. It's somehow different in the rules pages than in the teams/score pages. All it takes is a bit of re-coding and ghost will come back...

BTW could a mod change the sub-heading to have one less X please. Got carried away... Thanks!

#11 themaninblack

Pun Plunderer

• Members
  • 6,175 posts

Posted 03 December 2011 - 07:28 PM

MMXII - ah that's much better! :D

#12 Spade_Cooley

Rich Homie Quantick

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,833 posts

Posted 08 December 2011 - 09:43 AM

Just as clarity for 2012, and to quite possibly accidentally leak one of my prospective uniques: what's the rule on obituaries that appear behind the Times paywall?
"I have never killed a man, but I have read many obituaries with great pleasure." - Clarence Darrow

"Get back to task and participate, or you will come with us at the finale to dance, although there will be shocking deaths. Yoshi is coming for me." - Pikalin Soutdalany

#13 themaninblack

Pun Plunderer

• Members
  • 6,175 posts

Posted 08 December 2011 - 10:36 AM

Hmmm. If you have access to the page of the obituary, it could be possible to save it as a html document, ship it to me and then I'd add/link the document to the server...

#14 Estuarian Float

Underwater Slaughter

• Members
  • 504 posts

Posted 14 December 2011 - 11:35 PM

So from what I understand, we can have two theme teams this year. To make the theme team league game more exciting Im guessing?
Star Dust 2014 DDP: Daisy Berkowitz - Ryan Buell - Katherine Crowe - Darren Daulton - Felix Glenny - Rev Billy Graham - Superstar Billy Graham - Valerie Harper - Wojciech Jaruzelski - Wilko Johnson - Casey Kasem - Marina Khodorkovskaya - Wubbo Ockels - Mike Porcaro - Peter Robbins - Robert Schuller - Sam Simon - Lynne Stewart - Marcia Strassman - Vojislav Šešelj

2011 DDP Theme Team: Seoul Takers
2012 - 2014 DDP Theme Team: The Bedsoring '20s
2012 DDP Theme Team: Califorewarned, Oregoners, Washingtons of Bodies Away

2013 & 2014 DDP Theme Team: Bet on Black!

(((The Dust Pool))) (((Predict the Paper))) (((Kentucky Derby Dead Pool)))

#15 themaninblack

Pun Plunderer

• Members
  • 6,175 posts

Posted 16 December 2011 - 09:05 AM

You can have either three normal teams, three theme teams, one theme team and two normal teams or one normal team and two theme teams...

#16 Godot

In a minute

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,860 posts

Posted 16 December 2011 - 09:12 AM

View Postthemaninblack, on 16 December 2011 - 09:05 AM, said:

You can have either three normal teams, three theme teams, one theme team and two normal teams or one normal team and two theme teams...

It should be one entrant one team. Any other system is stacking the odds against anyone who submits just one team. Counter argument is that anyone can submit three teams but why stop at three? Why not five? Theme team is OK but doubling or trippling up on normal teams smacks of cheating to me.
Ring down the curtain, the farce is over

#17 Estuarian Float

Underwater Slaughter

• Members
  • 504 posts

Posted 18 December 2011 - 07:50 PM

Im gonna do two themes. Having multiple normal teams takes the fun out of it. But it is 2012 you know.. lets make this a big year.
Star Dust 2014 DDP: Daisy Berkowitz - Ryan Buell - Katherine Crowe - Darren Daulton - Felix Glenny - Rev Billy Graham - Superstar Billy Graham - Valerie Harper - Wojciech Jaruzelski - Wilko Johnson - Casey Kasem - Marina Khodorkovskaya - Wubbo Ockels - Mike Porcaro - Peter Robbins - Robert Schuller - Sam Simon - Lynne Stewart - Marcia Strassman - Vojislav Šešelj

2011 DDP Theme Team: Seoul Takers
2012 - 2014 DDP Theme Team: The Bedsoring '20s
2012 DDP Theme Team: Califorewarned, Oregoners, Washingtons of Bodies Away

2013 & 2014 DDP Theme Team: Bet on Black!

(((The Dust Pool))) (((Predict the Paper))) (((Kentucky Derby Dead Pool)))

#18 msc

Shipman

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 450 posts

Posted 21 December 2011 - 02:24 AM

I'm giving this a shot for the first time. My rare abilities to keep folk alive in these things suggests I'll do rather badly.
2014 Pan Breed DDP – S Simon (joker), S Farmiloe, W Johnson, C Kasem, V Harper, G Cole, G Garcia Marquez, P Rice, J Hill, L Dawn, A Briggs, J vd Westhuizen, C Woodhead, C Moncrieff, T Benn, R Buell, I Watkins, H Fawkes, A Reynolds, J McGinniss

Other pools – J McVie, P Worsthorne, V Campbell, S Caesar, L Rainer, R Mugabe, P Wyngarde, K Douglas, G Whitlam, S Hall, A Franklin, R Attenborough, GHW Bush, H Kissinger, E Wallach, B Reynolds, J Garner, N Reagan, H Kessler, G Saks, L Ferlinghetti, O Chadwick, R Asherson, K Ollerenshaw, F Phelps, W Jaruzelski, G Amorth, H McCullough, F Dyson, C Pincher, O Pooley, C Townes, D Slocombe, A Hiller, F Bough, RR Shaw, A Imich, C Hollingworth, S Gall, Ghiggia, C Irving, FGD Jean, H Gregg, F Domino, B Kerr, P MacNee, C Yeager, R Suart, P Maxwell Davies, J Havelange, J de Cuellar, P Dimmock, G Ure, C Mitchelmore, J Nott, H Wouk, J Freeman, M Wilson, T Docherty, P Fox, G Howe, L Cosgrave, N Lawson, B Clemens, K Evren, RK Murray, M Soares, P Vaughan, R Baker, P Lally, L Smith, A Suarez, P Robbins, I Kanarek, IM Pei, ER Killen, J Ramsey, P de Jong, A Rhett, V Gagne. = combined 18/100

2013: 28/100
2012: 25/100
Shadow Deathlist 2011- 10/50

#19 Magere Hein

Film land, Homer!

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,629 posts

Posted 21 December 2011 - 02:40 AM

I'm working on a Low Countries theme team. It's not at all easy to find picks who'll pass the obit requirements.

I also need a catchy name.

regards,
Hein
DDP 2014 team The Grey Horde:
King Abdullah of Saudi Arabia, Ayman al-Zawahiri, Lys Assia, Sister Wendy Beckett, Ryan Buell Posted Image,Jacques Chirac, Felix Dennis, Aretha Franklin, Ruth Bader Ginsburg, Marilyn Horne, Clive James, General Wojciech Jaruzelski, Wilko Johnson, Helmut Kohl, Joseph Kony, Misao Okawa, Bernie Madoff, Robert Mugabe, Julie Newmar, Michael Schumacher

DDP 2014 theme team Minions of Xuleneb:
King Albert II, Princess Beatrix, Prince Bernhard jr, Elco Brinkman, Corry Brokken, Dick Bruna, Raymond Ceulemans, Godfried Danneels, Piet de Jong, Mark Eyskens, Queen Fabiola Of Belgium Posted Image, Jan Janssen, Grand Duke Jean I of Luxembourg, Wubbo Ockels, Fernando Ricksen, Kees Rijvers, Wim Ruska, Toots Thielemans, Martinus J. G. Veltman, Geert Wilders

#20 angryGreatness

Executioner

• Members
  • 657 posts

Posted 21 December 2011 - 04:06 AM

View PostMagere Hein, on 21 December 2011 - 02:40 AM, said:

I'm working on a Low Countries theme team. It's not at all easy to find picks who'll pass the obit requirements.

I also need a catchy name.

regards,
Hein

De(ath) Lage Landen?
DDP 2014:

Better Them Than Us!:
Daisy Berkowitz, Colin Bloomfield, Katherine Crowe Posted Image, Darren Daulton, Fred DeLuca, Sally Farmiloe, Dennis "Fergie" Frederiksen, Dr. Kate Granger, Valerie Harper, Clive James, Wilko Johnson, Carolyn McCarthy Posted Image, Graeme Pollock Posted Image, Mike Porcaro, Pat Rice, Amy Robach, Robert Schuller, Stuart Scott, Sam Simon, Joost Van Der Westhuizen

Evergreen State of Decay [Theme: People born in Washington]
Paul Allen, Bob Barker, Glenn Beck Posted Image, Jerry Cantrell Posted Image, Carol Channing Posted Image, Orson Scott Card Posted Image, John Elway Posted Image, Kenny G Posted Image, Bill Gates, Ben Gibbard Posted Image. Ben Haggerty Posted Image, Donald M. Kendall Posted Image, Amanda Knox Posted Image, Gary Larson Posted Image, Ryan Lewis Posted Image, Chuck Palahniuk Posted Image, Anthony Ray Posted Image, Adam West, Jim Whittaker Posted Image, Michael Winslow Posted Image

Died in Committee [Theme: Current and former Senators]
Daniel Akaka Posted Image, Birch Bayh Posted Image, Edward Brooke Posted Image, Tom Coburn Posted Image, Ted Cruz Posted Image, Jeremiah Denton Posted Image, Bob Dole, Dianne Feinstein Posted Image, John Glenn, Orrin Hatch Posted Image, Ernest "Fritz" Hollings, Tim Johnson Posted Image, Mark Kirk Posted Image, Paul Laxalt Posted Image, John McCain, Mitch McConnell Posted Image, Walter Mondale, Harry Reid, Jay Rockefeller Posted Image, John Warner Posted Image

ShadowList 2014:
Rev. Billy Graham, General Jaruzelski, George Bush, Olivia de Havilland, Kirk Douglas, John Glenn, Luise Rainer, Christopher Lee, Nancy Reagan, Eli Wallach, Zsa Zsa Gabor, Bob Dole, Beverly Cleary, Robert Mugabe, Chuck Berry, Al Molinaro, Stan Lee, Lyndon LaRouche,
Ariel Sharon, Don Pardo, Jim Leavelle, Boutros Boutros-Ghali, Don Rickles, June Foray, Mort Walker, Paul Laxalt, I.M. Pei, Edward Brooke, Pope Benedict XVI, Alan Young, Henry Kissinger, Hiroo Onoda, Chuck Yeager, Dr. Henry Heimlich, George Shultz, Vera Lynn, Mickey Rooney, Fidel Castro, Noel Neill, Jimmy Carter, Ben Bradlee, Mary Tyler Moore, Jack T. Chick, Jerry Lewis, Jake LaMotta, King Abdullah bin Abdul-Aziz, Helmut Schmidt, Harper Lee, Gloria Vanderbilt, Abe Vigoda

Reply to this topic

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users