76 replies to this topic

#1 little sister

Hatchet man

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 33 posts

Posted 26 October 2003 - 04:06 PM

May I suggest:

Artist / Fleet Street photographer Humphrey Spender (94)
[snip]

Love and kisses

Little sis

#2 Frenzy

Hatchet man

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 46 posts

Posted 01 October 2004 - 06:47 PM

Photographer Richard Avedon Dies at 81

#3 Guest_iain_*

• Guests

Posted 02 December 2005 - 07:59 PM

Cowboy Ronnie will be interested in this one..Ronald Reagans official photographer while he was president, Michael Evans has died at 61

#4 Tempus Fugit

Twunt Master

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,776 posts

Posted 08 March 2006 - 12:54 AM

Gordon Parks, a renowned photographer for Life magazine,

also Hollywood's first major black director with "The Learning Tree" and the hit film "Shaft."

Has died aged 93.
"I have a new philosophy. I'm only going to dread one day at a time."

It's been over 10 months since I was last 100% sober, not a day I want to repeat.

#5 Guest_iain_*

• Guests

Posted 08 March 2006 - 01:13 AM

One of americas first black film directors ,who directed the movie 'Shaft' among others ,Gordon Parks has died at 93

#6 Tempus Fugit

Twunt Master

• Members
  • 3,776 posts

Posted 08 March 2006 - 01:14 AM

View Postiain, on Mar 8 2006, 01:13 AM, said:

One of americas first black film directors ,who directed the movie 'Shaft' among others ,Gordon Parks has died at 93

Yes I know iain, I just made some corrections to Wiki's recent deaths page.

Do you get all your recent death news from Wiki iain?

because if so, where do you think that the people who post the news on Wiki get their info from.
"I have a new philosophy. I'm only going to dread one day at a time."

It's been over 10 months since I was last 100% sober, not a day I want to repeat.

#7 Canadian Paul

uber twunt

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,132 posts

Posted 08 March 2006 - 02:10 AM

View PostTempus Fugit, on Mar 7 2006, 04:54 PM, said:

Gordon Parks, a renowned photographer for Life magazine,

also Hollywood's first major black director with "The Learning Tree" and the hit film "Shaft."

Has died aged 93.

Yikes. Famous people are dropping like flies lately.
Twunt Master Series (August 2007 - January 2008) (January 2008 - June 2008) (July 2008 - April 2009) (April 2009 - January 2010)

Uber Twunt Series (January 2010 - ?)

I still owe NAP

#8 VSBfromH

I Need To Get A Life!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,834 posts

Posted 07 June 2006 - 10:51 AM

Arnold Newman

New York photographer famed for shots of the likes of Pablo Picasso, Marilyn Monroe, Ronald Reagan and Igor Stravinsky (see below) dies aged 88

Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image
Oh, Mickey! What's EGREGIOUS?!

#9 Guest_Guest_iain_*_*

• Guests

Posted 21 August 2006 - 07:45 AM

Joe Rosenthal has died.He was famous.In fact he was possibly the moisty famouos photographer in the world.His photograph of the US flag being raised at end of world war is possinble the most famous photo ever taken.SDo dont anyone dare say that he is n ot worthy of a mention in this thread.

#10 Gunjaman5000

Assassin

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 963 posts

Posted 21 August 2006 - 07:51 AM

View PostGuest_iain_*, on Aug 21 2006, 07:45 AM, said:

Joe Rosenthal has died.He was famous.In fact he was possibly the moisty famouos photographer in the world.His photograph of the US flag being raised at end of world war is possinble the most famous photo ever taken.SDo dont anyone dare say that he is n ot worthy of a mention in this thread.
You may have a point there Iain, although raising the flag over Iwo Jima didn't signal the end of WWII. Keep up the good work.
They burned the mother down.

#11 Guest_Guest_iain_*_*

• Guests

Posted 21 August 2006 - 08:00 AM

here is CNN report of this FAMOUS death

#12 VSBfromH

I Need To Get A Life!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,834 posts

Posted 21 August 2006 - 08:40 AM

View PostGuest_iain_*, on Aug 21 2006, 08:45 AM, said:

Ooh, iain, so defensive! Chill! It's only a forum!
Oh, Mickey! What's EGREGIOUS?!

#13 Octopus of Odstock

Post twunt

• Members
  • 3,801 posts

Posted 21 August 2006 - 10:15 AM

View PostGuest_iain_*, on Aug 21 2006, 08:45 AM, said:

Ok, I dare.

I've never heard of him - he certainly isn't the most famous photographer ever & his photo, whilst iconic, certainly isn't the most famous picture ever. (If I had to choose one, I'd plump for the picture of the Earth from the moon, but that's another matter)

So, what are you going to do about it, Idiain?

#14 maryportfuncity

Dedicated Cumbrian Corpse Hound, or summat

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,654 posts

Posted 21 August 2006 - 11:29 AM

Most famous photographer.....but surely, Arthur Edwards, former royal snapper for The Sun, everyone knows Arthur.

Retired but still chipper and prone to taunting us with his good health when interviewed, DL 2019, maybe.
Posted Image

Maryport is a disappointment for which there is no cure, but the annual Deathrace thread hereabouts provides welcome distraction.

#15 Phantom

uber twunt

• Members
  • 4,059 posts

Posted 21 August 2006 - 11:58 AM

View PostGuest_iain_*, on Aug 21 2006, 07:45 AM, said:

Iain,

How about photographers such as David Bailey? I'd say he is more famous than Joe Rosenthal.
In fact if I mentioned Rosenthal's name to most Americans, they'd say "who?" They may recognise the photo, but wouldn't have a clue as to the name of the photographer behind the camera.
The only other remarkable thing about the photo, was that it was used for a postage stamp here in the US. The thing about it was that the soldiers featured in it were still alive. Usually a person can not appear on a postage stamp unless they're dead. The only other time this has happened I believe was a photo of one of the first Model T Fords and the driver of the car featured in that photo was still alive.

But I honestly wouldn't say that Joe Rosenthal is a world famous photographer, he's known just for that one photo

A good line never dies
It just smells funny

----

DDP 2014 1/20
Jim Bamber , Ryan Buell, Katherine Crowe Posted Image, Liz Dawn, Ruth Duccini, Janet Fielding, Zsa Zsa Gabor , Billy Graham,"Superstar" Billy Graham, Rolf Harris, Joao Havelange, Bobby Heenan, Wojciech Jarulzelski, Wilko Johnson, Stephen Lewis, Jerry Maren, Les Munro, Sonny Rollins, Sam Simon, Gough Whitlam

DDP 2012 8/20 - Joint 47th

DDP 2013 11/20 - Joint 24th

#16 Octopus of Odstock

Post twunt

• Members
  • 3,801 posts

Posted 21 August 2006 - 12:27 PM

Actually looking at it again, Iain isn't saying Rosenthal is the most famous photographer in the world but the "Moisty famouos" photographer there's ever been, and who would we be to disagree? <_<

On a serious note, and a further one, re. Rosenthal's fame, how many people do you hear going, "who do you think you are, Joe Rosenthal?". I rest my case.

#17 Phantom

uber twunt

• Members
  • 4,059 posts

Posted 21 August 2006 - 12:34 PM

View PostOctopus of Odstock, on Aug 21 2006, 12:27 PM, said:

Actually looking at it again, Iain isn't saying Rosenthal is the most famous photographer in the world but the "Moisty famouos" photographer there's ever been, and who would we be to disagree? :lol:

On a serious note, and a further one, re. Rosenthal's fame, how many people do you hear going, "who do you think you are, Joe Rosenthal?". I rest my case.

I think Iain confuses a mention on CNN as being proof of someone's fame. Stanford Newman got a mention on CNN, but unless they saw Newman's cigars being sold or even smoked them and knew a little about the company, they wouldn't have a clue who he was.

Although he does claim that Rosenthal's death was famous. so I guess he wasn't famous when he was alive <_<

A good line never dies
It just smells funny

----

DDP 2014 1/20
Jim Bamber , Ryan Buell, Katherine Crowe Posted Image, Liz Dawn, Ruth Duccini, Janet Fielding, Zsa Zsa Gabor , Billy Graham,"Superstar" Billy Graham, Rolf Harris, Joao Havelange, Bobby Heenan, Wojciech Jarulzelski, Wilko Johnson, Stephen Lewis, Jerry Maren, Les Munro, Sonny Rollins, Sam Simon, Gough Whitlam

#18 Canadian Paul

uber twunt

• Members
  • 4,132 posts

Posted 21 August 2006 - 03:49 PM

View PostOctopus of Odstock, on Aug 21 2006, 04:27 AM, said:

Actually looking at it again, Iain isn't saying Rosenthal is the most famous photographer in the world but the "Moisty famouos" photographer there's ever been, and who would we be to disagree? <_<

In all honesty, if I had gotten to it first, I probably would have posted it in Near Misses too, just due to his age and the iconic status of your picture. As you've pointed out, however, it's not a cut-and-dry case. I think in the end, it's got a lot to do with how many deaths you post. If I were to do it, I'd probably have gotten away with it, or perhaps a light disagreement or two, whereas it's natural to view iain's submissions with a cautious eye.

Overall I'd say near miss, but also wouldn't argue with those who disagree.
Twunt Master Series (August 2007 - January 2008) (January 2008 - June 2008) (July 2008 - April 2009) (April 2009 - January 2010)

Uber Twunt Series (January 2010 - ?)

I still owe NAP

#19 Phantom

uber twunt

• Members
  • 4,059 posts

Posted 21 August 2006 - 03:54 PM

View PostCanadian Paul, on Aug 21 2006, 03:49 PM, said:

View PostOctopus of Odstock, on Aug 21 2006, 04:27 AM, said:

In all honesty, if I had gotten to it first, I probably would have posted it in Near Misses too, just due to his age and the iconic status of your picture. As you've pointed out, however, it's not a cut-and-dry case. I think in the end, it's got a lot to do with how many deaths you post. If I were to do it, I'd probably have gotten away with it, or perhaps a light disagreement or two, whereas it's natural to view iain's submissions with a cautious eye.

Overall I'd say near miss, but also wouldn't argue with those who disagree.

CP,
I think Rosenthal unfortunately falls into the category where his photo is more famous than he is.

A good line never dies
It just smells funny

----

DDP 2014 1/20

#20 Octopus of Odstock

Post twunt

• Members
  • 3,801 posts

Posted 21 August 2006 - 04:32 PM

View PostCanadian Paul, on Aug 21 2006, 04:49 PM, said:

CP, my issue is not whether its a near miss. My issue is whether Rosenthal is the most famous photographer ever who took THE most famous photograph. The answer is no, and no.

Reply to this topic

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users