The Welsh The Dai Is Cast

91 replies to this topic

#41 deadtowrites

Sniper

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 92 posts

Posted 25 January 2009 - 01:42 AM

After a recent discussion with a fellow DLer, I went on a wikihunt for Welsh Comedians and found these two comedians who seem to be old yet going strong. Wyn Calvin and Stan Stennett.

As it stands*, all Welsh born comedians who are remotely funny seem to have either moved in their infancies to the right side, sorry, east side of Offas Dyke or had public schooling in England. (Griff Rhys Jones, Dawn French, Paul Whitehouse, Keith Allen and Terry Jones for the benefit of BC Alum who it would appear adores lists). And yes, Rob Anton de Beke Brydon is absent for a reason. He is sh*t.

* from Wiki and my personal appraisal of the wiki list of Welsh comedians. There's nothing like some good old fashioned bias in a DL post :unsure:

#42 ethnic cleansing

Hatchet man

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 23 posts

Posted 25 January 2009 - 01:15 PM

Welsh guitarist Mickey Gee has died after a long battle with emphysema.

http://www.walesonline.co.uk/news/cardiff-...-name_page.html

#43 deadsox

Executioner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 686 posts

Posted 25 January 2009 - 02:17 PM

View Postdeadtowrites, on Jan 25 2009, 02:42 AM, said:

After a recent discussion with a fellow DLer, I went on a wikihunt for Welsh Comedians and found these two comedians who seem to be old yet going strong. Wyn Calvin and Stan Stennett.

As it stands*, all Welsh born comedians who are remotely funny seem to have either moved in their infancies to the right side, sorry, east side of Offas Dyke or had public schooling in England. (Griff Rhys Jones, Dawn French, Paul Whitehouse, Keith Allen and Terry Jones for the benefit of BC Alum who it would appear adores lists). And yes, Rob Anton de Beke Brydon is absent for a reason. He is sh*t.

* from Wiki and my personal appraisal of the wiki list of Welsh comedians. There's nothing like some good old fashioned bias in a DL post :unsure:

I think Tom Jones is pretty funny.

#44 Terminator

Post-Twunt

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,051 posts

Posted 19 April 2009 - 02:08 PM

Stephanie Parker, an actress in some Welsh TV drama tosh, has been found dead - aged 22.

A youngster hanging themself in Wales? Who'd haved guessed. :unsure:
Ad tabernam festino

#45 VSBfromH

I Need To Get A Life!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,834 posts

Posted 07 July 2009 - 07:35 AM

Bleddyn Williams

The Welsh rugby union legend has died at the age of 86. He was known as the "Prince of Centres", was the last man to lead Wales to victory over the All Blacks and also captained the British and Irish Lions.
Oh, Mickey! What's EGREGIOUS?!

#46 Tears of A Clown

Morbid interest

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 14 posts

Posted 15 July 2009 - 11:16 AM

One for the Welsh speakers among us.

Geraint Owen an actor in Welsh Soap Poboi y Cwm has died suddenly aged 43.
Come on Ronnie and Abdel give up the ghost and pop your clogs.

#47 DevonDeathTrip

Tractor Eater

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,070 posts

Posted 21 August 2009 - 09:39 PM

The Welsh language poet Dic Jones has died at the age of 75. He was also the Archdruid of Wales and a farmer.

He wrote poems extolling the Ffyrgi and the Jac Codi Baw the Massey Fergusson tractor and the JCB

Sometimes when we see the eyes- those horrible times when we see the eyes,eyes that ... that have no soul - then we know a darkness.

#48 Spade_Cooley

Rich Homie Quantick

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,860 posts

Posted 20 January 2010 - 12:50 PM

Welsh radio mainstay Gary Price has been taken off the airwaves aged 64.
"I have never killed a man, but I have read many obituaries with great pleasure." - Clarence Darrow

"Get back to task and participate, or you will come with us at the finale to dance, although there will be shocking deaths. Yoshi is coming for me." - Pikalin Soutdalany

#49 VSBfromH

I Need To Get A Life!

• Members
  • 1,834 posts

Posted 11 March 2010 - 07:01 PM

Micky Jones, guitarist with Welsh progressive rockers Man has died aged 63, look you!
Oh, Mickey! What's EGREGIOUS?!

#50 DevonDeathTrip

Tractor Eater

• Moderators
  • 4,070 posts

Posted 22 December 2010 - 09:10 PM

Welsh Assembly member Brynle Williams has spoken of his battle with colon cancer and his determination to return to work next year....
Sometimes when we see the eyes- those horrible times when we see the eyes,eyes that ... that have no soul - then we know a darkness.

#51 time

Lord

• Members
  • 2,932 posts

Posted 16 August 2011 - 06:45 PM

Huw Ceredig, who played Reg Harries for 29 years in Pobol y Cwm, has died aged 69.
2014 DDP Team (Time's-up team Player of The Month, June 2014): John Bardon; Dora Bryan; Emile Ford; Valery Giscard d’Estaing; John Glenn; Eldon Griffiths; Bernard Haitink; Gerald Harper; Buck Henry (Joker); Patricia Knatchbull; Francis Matthews; Sheila Mercier; Les Munro; Pete Murray; I. M. Pei; Dudley Simpson; Nobby Stiles; Joseph Wapner; Peter Wyngarde; Jimmy Young.

2014 DDP Theme Team (...and its goodnight from him etc): Ronald Atkins, Ron Brown, Ronnie Carroll; Ronald Chesney, Ronnie Walter Cunningham, Ronnie Dawson, Ron Ely, Ronald Baron Fearn, Ron Flowers, Ronnie Gilbert, Ronald Harwood, Ronald Hines, Ron Isley, Ronnie Masterson (lost), Ronnie Moore, Ronald Pellar, Ronnie Ronalde, Ron Smith, Ronald Stevenson, Ron Suart (Joker)

2014 DDP Theme Team (Roger and Out): Roger Alton, Roger Angell, Sir Roger Bannister, Roger Cook, Roger Corman, Roger Daltrey, Roger Dimmock, Roger Etchegaray, Sir Roger Moore, Sir Roger Norrington, Sir Roger Penrose(Joker), Roger Protz, Roger Sainsbury, Roger Sloman, Roger Smith, Roger Spottiswood, Roger Squires, Roger Staubach, Roger Taylor, Roger Whitaker

Deathrace 2014 Team: Billy Graham (Joker), Ethel Lang, Javier Perez De Cuellar, Efrem Zimbalist Jr., Vera Lynn,Kirk Douglas, Al Molinaro, Dora Bryan, John Glenn, Gerald Harper, Patricia Knatchbull, Francis Matthews, Sheila Mercier, Les Munro, Buck Henry, I. M. Pei, Joseph Wapner, Jimmy Young, Wojtech Jaruszelski, Doris Day

2014 Hartlepool Deadlypool Team: Rev Billy Graham, Ethel Lang, Javier Perez De Cuellar, Carl Reiner, Efrem Zimbalist Jr., Vera Lynn, Kirk Douglas, Maximilian Schell, Al Molinaro, BB King. Subs: Doris Day, Wojciech Jaruzelski

I have CDO. It's like OCD except the letters are in alphabetical order, as they should be.

#52 Guest_Guest_*

• Guests

Posted 16 August 2011 - 09:48 PM

famous welsh actor Huw Ceredig has died.Why did you people not have him on your list????????????????

#53 Magere Hein

Film land, Homer!

• Admin
  • 4,676 posts

Posted 16 August 2011 - 09:54 PM

View PostGuest, on Aug 16 2011, 11:48 PM, said:

famous welsh actor Huw Ceredig has died.Why did you people not have him on your list????????????????
That question answers itself. :P

regards,
Hein
DDP 2014 team The Grey Horde:
King Abdullah of Saudi Arabia, Ayman al-Zawahiri, Lys Assia, Sister Wendy Beckett, Ryan Buell Posted Image,Jacques Chirac, Felix Dennis, Aretha Franklin, Ruth Bader Ginsburg, Marilyn Horne, Clive James, General Wojciech Jaruzelski, Wilko Johnson, Helmut Kohl, Joseph Kony, Misao Okawa, Bernie Madoff, Robert Mugabe, Julie Newmar, Michael Schumacher

DDP 2014 theme team Minions of Xuleneb:
King Albert II, Princess Beatrix, Prince Bernhard jr, Elco Brinkman, Corry Brokken, Dick Bruna, Raymond Ceulemans, Godfried Danneels, Piet de Jong, Mark Eyskens, Queen Fabiola Of Belgium Posted Image, Jan Janssen, Grand Duke Jean I of Luxembourg, Wubbo Ockels, Fernando Ricksen, Kees Rijvers, Wim Ruska, Toots Thielemans, Martinus J. G. Veltman, Geert Wilders

#54 Paul Bearer

Zombie Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,239 posts

Posted 16 August 2011 - 10:04 PM

View PostGuest, on Aug 16 2011, 10:48 PM, said:

1. Was he on your list?

2. Already posted here

3. Admins and mods can see your IP address notaguest.
This is true my form is something odd,
But blaming me is blaming God;
Could I create myself anew
I would not fail in pleasing you.

#55 time

Lord

• Members
  • 2,932 posts

Posted 16 August 2011 - 10:39 PM

View PostDavey Jones' Locker, on Aug 16 2011, 10:55 PM, said:

View Posttime, on Aug 17 2011, 04:45 AM, said:

Huw Ceredig, who played Reg Harries for 29 years in Pobol y Cwm, has died aged 69.

I'll leave it up to any Welshmen on this forum to decide if they are insulted or deeply gratified to be considered "foreign" by you Poms. :P

Meanwhile, Sif Ruud has rudely departed at the age of 95. She was the star of a number of Ingmar Bergman films including It Rains on Our Love, Wild Strawberries and The Magician, so this is a big loss for the world of non-English language cinema: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sif_Ruud

Pobol y Cwm is performed in Welsh ... that makes it foreign.

I did look for the Eminent Welshmen thread, but there isn't one.
2014 DDP Team (Time's-up team Player of The Month, June 2014): John Bardon; Dora Bryan; Emile Ford; Valery Giscard d’Estaing; John Glenn; Eldon Griffiths; Bernard Haitink; Gerald Harper; Buck Henry (Joker); Patricia Knatchbull; Francis Matthews; Sheila Mercier; Les Munro; Pete Murray; I. M. Pei; Dudley Simpson; Nobby Stiles; Joseph Wapner; Peter Wyngarde; Jimmy Young.

2014 DDP Theme Team (...and its goodnight from him etc): Ronald Atkins, Ron Brown, Ronnie Carroll; Ronald Chesney, Ronnie Walter Cunningham, Ronnie Dawson, Ron Ely, Ronald Baron Fearn, Ron Flowers, Ronnie Gilbert, Ronald Harwood, Ronald Hines, Ron Isley, Ronnie Masterson (lost), Ronnie Moore, Ronald Pellar, Ronnie Ronalde, Ron Smith, Ronald Stevenson, Ron Suart (Joker)

2014 DDP Theme Team (Roger and Out): Roger Alton, Roger Angell, Sir Roger Bannister, Roger Cook, Roger Corman, Roger Daltrey, Roger Dimmock, Roger Etchegaray, Sir Roger Moore, Sir Roger Norrington, Sir Roger Penrose(Joker), Roger Protz, Roger Sainsbury, Roger Sloman, Roger Smith, Roger Spottiswood, Roger Squires, Roger Staubach, Roger Taylor, Roger Whitaker

Deathrace 2014 Team: Billy Graham (Joker), Ethel Lang, Javier Perez De Cuellar, Efrem Zimbalist Jr., Vera Lynn,Kirk Douglas, Al Molinaro, Dora Bryan, John Glenn, Gerald Harper, Patricia Knatchbull, Francis Matthews, Sheila Mercier, Les Munro, Buck Henry, I. M. Pei, Joseph Wapner, Jimmy Young, Wojtech Jaruszelski, Doris Day

2014 Hartlepool Deadlypool Team: Rev Billy Graham, Ethel Lang, Javier Perez De Cuellar, Carl Reiner, Efrem Zimbalist Jr., Vera Lynn, Kirk Douglas, Maximilian Schell, Al Molinaro, BB King. Subs: Doris Day, Wojciech Jaruzelski

I have CDO. It's like OCD except the letters are in alphabetical order, as they should be.

#56 DevonDeathTrip

Tractor Eater

• Moderators
  • 4,070 posts

Posted 17 August 2011 - 11:03 PM

View Posttime, on Aug 16 2011, 11:39 PM, said:

View PostDavey Jones' Locker, on Aug 16 2011, 10:55 PM, said:

View Posttime, on Aug 17 2011, 04:45 AM, said:

I'll leave it up to any Welshmen on this forum to decide if they are insulted or deeply gratified to be considered "foreign" by you Poms. :P

Meanwhile, Sif Ruud has rudely departed at the age of 95. She was the star of a number of Ingmar Bergman films including It Rains on Our Love, Wild Strawberries and The Magician, so this is a big loss for the world of non-English language cinema: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sif_Ruud

Pobol y Cwm is performed in Welsh ... that makes it foreign.

I did look for the Eminent Welshmen thread, but there isn't one.

Never say I don't do anything around the house. Posted Image

Deathlisters might also like to use the Talk Like A Taff and The Welsh Film Industry threads as points of reference.

#57 Davey Jones' Locker

I Need To Get A Life!

• Members
  • 1,890 posts

Posted 12 September 2011 - 04:04 AM

Some famous Welsh actor who I have never of has died at age 39 from lymphoma: http://www.abc.net.au/news/2011-09-12/spar...ar-dead/2881816

#58 Redmega

Hatchet man

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 44 posts

Posted 12 September 2011 - 09:22 AM

View PostDavey Jones' Locker, on Sep 12 2011, 05:04 AM, said:

Some famous Welsh actor who I have never of has died at age 39 from lymphoma: http://www.abc.net.au/news/2011-09-12/spar...ar-dead/2881816

One of my more speculative picks, but as usual I'm a bit gutted about it. I heard they postponed filming of the Spartacus sequel when he became ill, hoping that he'd recover - then went on to write and film a prequel instead to give him even more time. Guess they'll have to recast after all. Having seen how good Xena looked in that series (for her age) I presumed they'd found the elixir of youth, but were only using it to treat hollywood (c-list) celebs.

#59 notaguest

Shipman

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 469 posts

Posted 12 September 2011 - 02:04 PM

View PostDavey Jones' Locker, on Sep 12 2011, 05:04 AM, said:

thank you for that touching tribute .You were just a bit late though!
I was thrown off this forum for posting too many interesting and entertaining posts,thus embarrassing less imaginative posters than myself.If you feel this is not fair or democratic and indeed infringes my basic human rights under the United Nations laws please let the moderators and admin know.Thanks.

#60 Paul Bearer

Zombie Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,239 posts

Posted 10 February 2012 - 11:02 PM

Emyr Daniel
This is true my form is something odd,
But blaming me is blaming God;
Could I create myself anew
I would not fail in pleasing you.

Reply to this topic