- - - - -

Phil Collins (and Other Genesis Types) Some of you are going to die/Martyrs, of course, to the...

55 replies to this topic

#21 Davey Jones' Locker

I Need To Get A Life!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,900 posts

Posted 22 June 2012 - 04:07 AM

View PostBrunoBrimley, on 21 June 2012 - 02:57 PM, said:

I stay steadfast to my earlier proclamation of Mr.Gabe being late. (or at least his music is as far as I am concerned)

Like I said, give the New Blood album (and concert film) a chance. Yes, he's recycling old material but, stripped of the layers and layers of synths and ponderous drums, his music sounds MUCH better. I think it was a wise move on his behalf - it is a way of ensuring his legacy as a great songwriter and lyricist now that the original versions of his songs sound so dated. Synths may age but orchestras are timeless. Really, it is the only Gabriel album you need to own.

#22 Bibliogryphon

I Need To Get A Life!

• Members
  • 1,908 posts

Posted 22 June 2012 - 12:38 PM

View PostDavey Jones' Locker, on 22 June 2012 - 04:07 AM, said:

View PostBrunoBrimley, on 21 June 2012 - 02:57 PM, said:

I stay steadfast to my earlier proclamation of Mr.Gabe being late. (or at least his music is as far as I am concerned)

Like I said, give the New Blood album (and concert film) a chance. Yes, he's recycling old material but, stripped of the layers and layers of synths and ponderous drums, his music sounds MUCH better. I think it was a wise move on his behalf - it is a way of ensuring his legacy as a great songwriter and lyricist now that the original versions of his songs sound so dated. Synths may age but orchestras are timeless. Really, it is the only Gabriel album you need to own.

I still think So is an awesome album. Very eighties yes but a brilliant album.

I think this whole thread is being a bit sniffy about the musical acheivements of both PG & PC. Being successful does not always mean that you have sold out.
"I appear to have bypassed my good taste chip"

2013 DDP Teams:

Bibliogryphon's Bookworm Food (Theme Team)
I Can't Believe They're Not Deader
Unusual Suspects

#23 Spade_Cooley

Rich Homie Quantick

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,867 posts

Posted 22 June 2012 - 01:20 PM

"No Jacket Required" is better than "Selling England By The Pound", imho.
"I have never killed a man, but I have read many obituaries with great pleasure." - Clarence Darrow

"Get back to task and participate, or you will come with us at the finale to dance, although there will be shocking deaths. Yoshi is coming for me." - Pikalin Soutdalany

#24 Bibliogryphon

I Need To Get A Life!

• Members
  • 1,908 posts

Posted 25 June 2012 - 12:33 PM

View PostSpade_Cooley, on 22 June 2012 - 01:20 PM, said:

"No Jacket Required" is better than "Selling England By The Pound", imho.

Not sure I would agree with you but I did suggest to a colleague that "No Jacket Required" was more enjoyable to listen to than "The White Album" and I have never heard the last of it!

2013 DDP Teams:

Unusual Suspects

#25 Magere Hein

Film land, Homer!

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,688 posts

Posted 25 June 2012 - 06:25 PM

View PostBibliogryphon, on 22 June 2012 - 12:38 PM, said:

And so think I.

Bibliogryphon said:

I think this whole thread is being a bit sniffy about the musical acheivements of both PG & PC. Being successful does not always mean that you have sold out.

I'm not particularly fond of Phil Collins' solo work and Genesis albums after Abacab, although good songs can be found on most.

My love for Genesis remains though. Just a few days after release I got ...And Then There Were Three..., the first LP record I ever bought1. After that I've acquired almost all they've recorded. I regularly put Seconds Out on my stereo, preferably loud.

1I did buy a few singles before and had already shoplifted Never Mind The Bollocks, Here's The Sex Pistols

regards,
Hein
DDP 2014 team The Grey Horde:
King Abdullah of Saudi Arabia, Ayman al-Zawahiri, Lys Assia, Sister Wendy Beckett, Ryan Buell Posted Image,Jacques Chirac, Felix Dennis, Aretha Franklin, Ruth Bader Ginsburg, Marilyn Horne, Clive James, General Wojciech Jaruzelski, Wilko Johnson, Helmut Kohl, Joseph Kony, Misao Okawa, Bernie Madoff, Robert Mugabe, Julie Newmar, Michael Schumacher

DDP 2014 theme team Minions of Xuleneb:
King Albert II, Princess Beatrix, Prince Bernhard jr, Elco Brinkman, Corry Brokken, Dick Bruna, Raymond Ceulemans, Godfried Danneels, Piet de Jong, Mark Eyskens, Queen Fabiola Of Belgium Posted Image, Jan Janssen, Grand Duke Jean I of Luxembourg, Wubbo Ockels, Fernando Ricksen, Kees Rijvers, Wim Ruska, Toots Thielemans, Martinus J. G. Veltman, Geert Wilders

#26 charon

Looking for coin

• Members
  • 1,852 posts

Posted 22 November 2012 - 09:27 PM

Sorry if the wrong thread but it is the nearest prog rock one I could find.......

Michael Dunsford age up for debate of Renaissance
http://www.vintagevi...nce-passes.html

And what rough beast, its hour come round at last,
Slouches towards Bethlehem to be born?

#27 grobler

Shipman

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 393 posts

Posted 22 November 2012 - 11:00 PM

ahh...a good thread...totally irrelevent to the job in hand...but a good thread none the less... :smileyd:
Seconds Out is without doubt the best live Album ever recorded.
However....is there any reason to be linking Genesis members to an early demise ?

#28 Davey Jones' Locker

I Need To Get A Life!

• Members
  • 1,900 posts

Posted 23 November 2012 - 01:15 AM

View Postgrobler, on 22 November 2012 - 11:00 PM, said:

ahh...a good thread...totally irrelevent to the job in hand...but a good thread none the less... :smileyd:
Seconds Out is without doubt the best live Album ever recorded.
However....is there any reason to be linking Genesis members to an early demise ?

It mostly stemmed from a suicidally morbid interview Phil Collins gave in 2010. Here is a recap: http://www.guardian....e-spinal-injury

I loved Seconds Out and all the Gabriel stuff (Genesis and solo) when I was young but I have to confess I have gone right off them over the last two years. I don't like any Genesis-related albums now except for Gabriel's New Blood. It is the only Gabriel album you need, really. It is a very good summary of his career, minus the dated synths and ponderous drums. For the most part nowadays, though, I am more likely to listen to Jacques Brel than Peter Gabriel.

#29 maryportfuncity

Dedicated Cumbrian Corpse Hound, or summat

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,243 posts

Posted 30 September 2014 - 11:25 AM

Phil Collins' current involvement in the Genesis reunion (albeit only to talk about their history) has allowed him to start revealing he's a recovering alcoholic and his drinking messed up his health to the point of fuelling his pancreatitis.

None of which is likely to kill him this month, but it does explain why he hasn't worn as well as the others in the band and does - sort of - put him on our long-term radar.
Posted Image

Maryport is a disappointment for which there is no cure, but the annual Deathrace thread hereabouts provides welcome distraction.

#30 Lard Bazaar

Bang! And the dirt is gone!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,285 posts

Posted 30 September 2014 - 05:56 PM

View Postmaryportfuncity, on 30 September 2014 - 11:25 AM, said:

Phil Collins' current involvement in the Genesis reunion (albeit only to talk about their history) has allowed him to start revealing he's a recovering alcoholic and his drinking messed up his health to the point of fuelling his pancreatitis.

None of which is likely to kill him this month, but it does explain why he hasn't worn as well as the others in the band and does - sort of - put him on our long-term radar.

He's been on my 'He's A Massive Twat' radar for some years.

#31 Phantom

uber twunt

• Members
  • 4,402 posts

Posted 30 September 2014 - 07:28 PM

View PostLard Bazaar, on 30 September 2014 - 05:56 PM, said:

View Postmaryportfuncity, on 30 September 2014 - 11:25 AM, said:

He's been on my 'He's A Massive Twat' radar for some years.

When he had just a small bald spot on the top of his head, it made a perfect target.

A good line never dies
It just smells funny

----

Winner of the 2014 Wojciech Jarulzelski sweepstakes

DDP 2014 4/20
Jim Bamber , Ryan Buell, Katherine Crowe Posted Image, Liz Dawn, Ruth Duccini, Janet Fielding, Zsa Zsa Gabor , Billy Graham,"Superstar" Billy Graham, Rolf Harris, Joao Havelange, Bobby Heenan, Wojciech Jarulzelski, Wilko Johnson, Stephen Lewis, Jerry Maren, Les Munro, Sonny Rollins, Sam Simon, Gough Whitlam

DDP 2012 8/20 - Joint 47th

DDP 2013 11/20 - Joint 24th

#32 Davey Jones' Locker

I Need To Get A Life!

• Members
  • 1,900 posts

Posted 30 September 2014 - 10:07 PM

Well, judging by this article he is still in denial.

""I'm getting up and watching cricket, turning on the television at 11am and having a bottle of wine," he says.
"I was never an alcoholic; I just got to be doing that most days."

http://tvnz.co.nz/en...ruggles-6095948

He seems to be killing himself from lack of motivation and boredom - then again, Genesis' lack of motivation on some of their last few albums (We Can't Dance in particular) nearly killed us from boredom too so maybe it is just karma....

#33 Bibliogryphon

I Need To Get A Life!

• Members
  • 1,908 posts

Posted 01 October 2014 - 11:21 AM

View PostDavey Jones' Locker, on 30 September 2014 - 10:07 PM, said:

""I'm getting up and watching cricket, turning on the television at 11am and having a bottle of wine," he says.

He seems to be killing himself from lack of motivation and boredom - then again, Genesis' lack of motivation on some of their last few albums (We Can't Dance in particular) nearly killed us from boredom too so maybe it is just karma....

In a small act of defence for Mr Collins if you think We Can't Dance is bad the Collinsless Calling All Stations is much worse.

2013 DDP Teams:

Unusual Suspects

#34 Spade_Cooley

Rich Homie Quantick

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,867 posts

Posted 01 October 2014 - 11:26 AM

MAMA

HAHA

UHHH
"I have never killed a man, but I have read many obituaries with great pleasure." - Clarence Darrow

"Get back to task and participate, or you will come with us at the finale to dance, although there will be shocking deaths. Yoshi is coming for me." - Pikalin Soutdalany

#35 Davey Jones' Locker

I Need To Get A Life!

• Members
  • 1,900 posts

Posted 01 October 2014 - 10:20 PM

View PostBibliogryphon, on 01 October 2014 - 11:21 AM, said:

View PostDavey Jones' Locker, on 30 September 2014 - 10:07 PM, said:

In a small act of defence for Mr Collins if you think We Can't Dance is bad the Collinsless Calling All Stations is much worse.

Yes, I know the album well. Yes, most of it is terrible but I like "One Man's Fool" so the album ends on a positive note. "Small Talk" is virtually unlistenable, "Alien Afternoon" would be okay-ish but for the fact that it is a rehash of "Keep it Dark" from 16 years earlier and "Dividing Line", "Uncertain Weather" and "There Must be Some Other Way" are Banks at his most bombastic and generic. Hard to believe the bloke wrote "Island in the Darkness" for his 'Strictly, Inc." solo album at around the same time. That was one of his finest hours and in direct contrast to this sludge. (If you haven't heard "Island in the Darkness" go and listen to it on YouTube RIGHT NOW and, as you do so, imagine it being included on Calling All Stations instead of whichever three songs from that album you despise the most. Here is the link: https://www.youtube....h?v=JA6FuLSTMJk )

I wouldn't mind hearing Phil cover something like "Shipwrecked" or "If That's What You Need" just to see if he could put some more life into those songs and it is the sort of commercial love ballad material that would appeal to him. I feel there is potential in them but it is buried deep. Of course, they could just turn out sappy in his hands... It is a pity he didn't try one of them during the "Live Over Europe" reunion album, just for something different.

Why, oh why, couldn't Banks and Rutherford have taken a leaf out of Gabriel's book and taken some risks and thrown in just a couple of avante-garde numbers? Even the otherwise uber-commercial Invisible Touch had the little synth experiment, "The Brazilian" to end on a strong note but that last vestige of experimentation had disappeared when the sludgy We Can't Dance and Calling All Stations were released. :(

#36 Bibliogryphon

I Need To Get A Life!

• Members
  • 1,908 posts

Posted 02 October 2014 - 09:24 AM

I quite like some of the stuff on Tony Banks' solo albums Bankstatement and Still where he uses a range of guest vocalists including Nik Kershaw and Fish. A lot of hit and miss but some really good tracks.

2013 DDP Teams:

Unusual Suspects

#37 Davey Jones' Locker

I Need To Get A Life!

• Members
  • 1,900 posts

Posted 02 October 2014 - 07:50 PM

View PostBibliogryphon, on 02 October 2014 - 09:24 AM, said:

I quite like some of the stuff on Tony Banks' solo albums Bankstatement and Still where he uses a range of guest vocalists including Nik Kershaw and Fish. A lot of hit and miss but some really good tracks.
I like Still but not Bankstatement. A Curious Feeling and Strictly, Inc. are probably his two best solo albums, though, IMHO. I used to be a big fan of Tony's as he was the person most responsible for som great Genesis songs from Firth of Fifth and most of the music on Wind and Wuthering through to some of the more interesting 1980s material like Me and Sarah Jane, Evidence of Autumn, Domino and The Brazilian. I have gone off him a lot though due to the cheesiness of some of his synth sounds and the morbidity of a lot of his lyrics (says I, a DeathLister!) especiallywhat he was composing on And Then There Were Three but even some of his more modern doom-'n'-gloom-fests too.

#38 Paul Bearer

Zombie Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,241 posts

Posted 03 October 2014 - 06:09 PM

Genesis on the one show now. Phil Collins seems to be ageing not very well.
This is true my form is something odd,
But blaming me is blaming God;
Could I create myself anew
I would not fail in pleasing you.

#39 Deathray

Public Health Candidate

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 631 posts

Posted 04 October 2014 - 12:36 PM

View PostMagere Hein, on 25 June 2012 - 06:25 PM, said:

View PostBibliogryphon, on 22 June 2012 - 12:38 PM, said:

And so think I.

Bibliogryphon said:

I'm not particularly fond of Phil Collins' solo work and Genesis albums after Abacab, although good songs can be found on most.

My love for Genesis remains though. Just a few days after release I got ...And Then There Were Three..., the first LP record I ever bought1. After that I've acquired almost all they've recorded. I regularly put Seconds Out on my stereo, preferably loud.

1I did buy a few singles before and had already shoplifted Never Mind The Bollocks, Here's The Sex Pistols

regards,
Hein

I suppose anarchists can't really be pissed at you shoplifting their work.
DDP Teams:

Deathray's Kervorkian Clinic (3/60 (0/20)(0/20)(3/20)

Deathray's Kevorkian Clinic; Kate Granger, Wilko Johnson, Valerie Harper, Paul Lamb, Rev. Billy Graham, Nancy Reagan, Zsa Zsa Gabor, Helen Falkes, Vera Lynn, Ian Brady, Chapman Pincher, Kirk Douglas, Elizabeth Dawn, Liz Smith, Daisy Berkowitz, George Cole, Dennis Healey, Tracy Connolley, Archie MacPherson, Tico Torres

Serving Heads of State; (theme team of serving heads of states) Queen Elizabeth II,Robert Mugabe. Akito, Shimon Peres, Abdullah bin Abdulaziz Al Saud, Bhumibol Adulyadej, Karolos Papoulias, Giorgio Napolitano, Juan Carlos I, Elliot Belgrave, D.M Jayaratne, Harald V, Paul Biya, Khalifa bin Salman Al Khalifa, Sabah Al-Ahmad Al-Jaber Al-Sabah ,Jalal Talabani, Raul Castro, Arthur Foulkes, Andul Halim of Kedah, Mahmoud Abbas

Centenarians: (theme team of people over 100) Carla Laemmle, Colonel Geoffrey Alexander Rowly-Conwy, 9th Baron of Langford, William Frankland, Philip Hollom, Simone Schaller, Wolfgang Suschitzky, Kathleen Ollerenshaw, Reinhard Hardegen, Elmo Williams, Peter Stursberg, Herb Jeffries, Al Suomi, Mary Carlisle, Roberta McCain, Clare Hollingworth,Nicholas Winton, Arthur Gardner, Lupita Tovar, Connie Marrero

#40 Magere Hein

Film land, Homer!

• Admin
  • 4,688 posts

Posted 04 October 2014 - 02:15 PM

View PostDeathray, on 04 October 2014 - 12:36 PM, said:

I suppose anarchists can't really be pissed at you shoplifting their work.

Dunno, I never asked. Then again:

Posted Image

regards,
Hein
DDP 2014 team The Grey Horde:
King Abdullah of Saudi Arabia, Ayman al-Zawahiri, Lys Assia, Sister Wendy Beckett, Ryan Buell Posted Image,Jacques Chirac, Felix Dennis, Aretha Franklin, Ruth Bader Ginsburg, Marilyn Horne, Clive James, General Wojciech Jaruzelski, Wilko Johnson, Helmut Kohl, Joseph Kony, Misao Okawa, Bernie Madoff, Robert Mugabe, Julie Newmar, Michael Schumacher

DDP 2014 theme team Minions of Xuleneb:
King Albert II, Princess Beatrix, Prince Bernhard jr, Elco Brinkman, Corry Brokken, Dick Bruna, Raymond Ceulemans, Godfried Danneels, Piet de Jong, Mark Eyskens, Queen Fabiola Of Belgium Posted Image, Jan Janssen, Grand Duke Jean I of Luxembourg, Wubbo Ockels, Fernando Ricksen, Kees Rijvers, Wim Ruska, Toots Thielemans, Martinus J. G. Veltman, Geert Wilders

Reply to this topic

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users