- - - - -

Phil Collins (and Other Genesis Types) Some of you are going to die/Martyrs, of course, to the...

27 replies to this topic

#21 Davey Jones' Locker

I Need To Get A Life!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,718 posts

Posted 22 June 2012 - 04:07 AM

View PostBrunoBrimley, on 21 June 2012 - 02:57 PM, said:

I stay steadfast to my earlier proclamation of Mr.Gabe being late. (or at least his music is as far as I am concerned)

Like I said, give the New Blood album (and concert film) a chance. Yes, he's recycling old material but, stripped of the layers and layers of synths and ponderous drums, his music sounds MUCH better. I think it was a wise move on his behalf - it is a way of ensuring his legacy as a great songwriter and lyricist now that the original versions of his songs sound so dated. Synths may age but orchestras are timeless. Really, it is the only Gabriel album you need to own.

#22 Bibliogryphon

I Need To Get A Life!

• Members
  • 1,621 posts

Posted 22 June 2012 - 12:38 PM

View PostDavey Jones' Locker, on 22 June 2012 - 04:07 AM, said:

View PostBrunoBrimley, on 21 June 2012 - 02:57 PM, said:

I stay steadfast to my earlier proclamation of Mr.Gabe being late. (or at least his music is as far as I am concerned)

Like I said, give the New Blood album (and concert film) a chance. Yes, he's recycling old material but, stripped of the layers and layers of synths and ponderous drums, his music sounds MUCH better. I think it was a wise move on his behalf - it is a way of ensuring his legacy as a great songwriter and lyricist now that the original versions of his songs sound so dated. Synths may age but orchestras are timeless. Really, it is the only Gabriel album you need to own.

I still think So is an awesome album. Very eighties yes but a brilliant album.

I think this whole thread is being a bit sniffy about the musical acheivements of both PG & PC. Being successful does not always mean that you have sold out.
"I appear to have bypassed my good taste chip"

2013 DDP Teams:

Bibliogryphon's Bookworm Food (Theme Team)
I Can't Believe They're Not Deader
Unusual Suspects

#23 Spade_Cooley

Rich Homie Quantick

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,777 posts

Posted 22 June 2012 - 01:20 PM

"No Jacket Required" is better than "Selling England By The Pound", imho.
"I have never killed a man, but I have read many obituaries with great pleasure." - Clarence Darrow

"Get back to task and participate, or you will come with us at the finale to dance, although there will be shocking deaths. Yoshi is coming for me." - Pikalin Soutdalany

#24 Bibliogryphon

I Need To Get A Life!

• Members
  • 1,621 posts

Posted 25 June 2012 - 12:33 PM

View PostSpade_Cooley, on 22 June 2012 - 01:20 PM, said:

"No Jacket Required" is better than "Selling England By The Pound", imho.

Not sure I would agree with you but I did suggest to a colleague that "No Jacket Required" was more enjoyable to listen to than "The White Album" and I have never heard the last of it!
"I appear to have bypassed my good taste chip"

2013 DDP Teams:

Bibliogryphon's Bookworm Food (Theme Team)
I Can't Believe They're Not Deader
Unusual Suspects

#25 Magere Hein

Film land, Homer!

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,581 posts

Posted 25 June 2012 - 06:25 PM

View PostBibliogryphon, on 22 June 2012 - 12:38 PM, said:

I still think So is an awesome album. Very eighties yes but a brilliant album.

And so think I.

Bibliogryphon said:

I think this whole thread is being a bit sniffy about the musical acheivements of both PG & PC. Being successful does not always mean that you have sold out.

I'm not particularly fond of Phil Collins' solo work and Genesis albums after Abacab, although good songs can be found on most.

My love for Genesis remains though. Just a few days after release I got ...And Then There Were Three..., the first LP record I ever bought1. After that I've acquired almost all they've recorded. I regularly put Seconds Out on my stereo, preferably loud.

1I did buy a few singles before and had already shoplifted Never Mind The Bollocks, Here's The Sex Pistols

regards,
Hein
DDP 2014 team The Grey Horde:
King Abdullah of Saudi Arabia, Ayman al-Zawahiri, Lys Assia, Sister Wendy Beckett, Ryan Buell Posted Image,Jacques Chirac, Felix Dennis, Aretha Franklin, Ruth Bader Ginsburg, Marilyn Horne, Clive James, General Wojciech Jaruzelski, Wilko Johnson, Helmut Kohl, Joseph Kony, Misao Okawa, Bernie Madoff, Robert Mugabe, Julie Newmar, Michael Schumacher

DDP 2014 theme team Minions of Xuleneb:
King Albert II, Princess Beatrix, Prince Bernhard jr, Elco Brinkman, Corry Brokken, Dick Bruna, Raymond Ceulemans, Godfried Danneels, Piet de Jong, Mark Eyskens, Queen Fabiola Of Belgium Posted Image, Jan Janssen, Grand Duke Jean I of Luxembourg, Wubbo Ockels, Fernando Ricksen, Kees Rijvers, Wim Ruska, Toots Thielemans, Martinus J. G. Veltman, Geert Wilders

#26 charon

Looking for coin

• Members
  • 1,652 posts

Posted 22 November 2012 - 09:27 PM

Sorry if the wrong thread but it is the nearest prog rock one I could find.......

Michael Dunsford age up for debate of Renaissance
http://www.vintagevi...nce-passes.html

And what rough beast, its hour come round at last,
Slouches towards Bethlehem to be born?

#27 grobler

Shipman

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 393 posts

Posted 22 November 2012 - 11:00 PM

ahh...a good thread...totally irrelevent to the job in hand...but a good thread none the less... :smileyd:
Seconds Out is without doubt the best live Album ever recorded.
However....is there any reason to be linking Genesis members to an early demise ?

#28 Davey Jones' Locker

I Need To Get A Life!

• Members
  • 1,718 posts

Posted 23 November 2012 - 01:15 AM

View Postgrobler, on 22 November 2012 - 11:00 PM, said:

ahh...a good thread...totally irrelevent to the job in hand...but a good thread none the less... :smileyd:
Seconds Out is without doubt the best live Album ever recorded.
However....is there any reason to be linking Genesis members to an early demise ?

It mostly stemmed from a suicidally morbid interview Phil Collins gave in 2010. Here is a recap: http://www.guardian....e-spinal-injury

I loved Seconds Out and all the Gabriel stuff (Genesis and solo) when I was young but I have to confess I have gone right off them over the last two years. I don't like any Genesis-related albums now except for Gabriel's New Blood. It is the only Gabriel album you need, really. It is a very good summary of his career, minus the dated synths and ponderous drums. For the most part nowadays, though, I am more likely to listen to Jacques Brel than Peter Gabriel.

Reply to this topic

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users