Not Seen Any Good Films/movies Too busy procrastinating to watch 'em

62 replies to this topic

#41 Handrejka

Manx Minx

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,255 posts

Posted 02 May 2011 - 06:27 PM

Not sure if this is worth a separate thread or not but how about popular TV shows you've never seen.

I'll start

I've never seen

The Waltons
Little House on the Prairie
Charlie's Angels
ER
Seinfeld
Friends
Wallender
The West Wing
Britains Got Talent
Ashes to Ashes
Any of the current vampire genre shows

I've seen one episode of Desperate Housewives and one episode of Sex in the City and didn't think much of either or them.
Alternative 50 in no particular order (13/50)
1.Nelson Mandela 2.Margaret Thatcher 3. Jeremy Thorpe 4. Bill Pertwee 5. John Freeman 6.Guenther Grass 7. Oswald Morris 8. Glynis Johns 9. Zizi Jeanmaire 10. April Ashley
11. Allan Arbus 12. Siegfried Lenz 13. Helmut Kohl 14.Walter Scheel 15.Hywel Bennet 16.Clive James 17. Tamara Press 18.Dave Swarbrick 19. Gretel Bergmann 20. Paul Danquah
21. Fenella Fielding 22. Peter Sallis 23. Dannie Abse 24.Ronnie Biggs 25. Jovanka Broz 26. Bernie Nolan 27. Ron Moody 28. Vivian Pickles 29. Dave Davies 30. Nexhmije Hoxha
31. Doris Lessing 32. Henry Morgenthaler 33. Al Molinaro 34.Gil Taylor 35. Denis Healey 36. Gabriel Garcia Marquez 37. George Blake 38. Brian Cant 39. Fidel Castro 40. Kirk Douglas
41. Aretha Franklin 42. Annette Funicello 43.Bob Godfrey 44. Rev Billy Graham 45.Wojiech Jaruzelski 46.Irving Kanarek 47.Hiroo Onoda 48. Reg Pressley 49. Ariel Sharon 50. Duncan Norvelle.

2014 Alternative 50 in no order (3/50)
1. Jeremy Thorpe 2. Rev Billy Graham 3. Wojiech Jaruzelski 4. Stephen Hawking 5. Ron Moody 6. Jimmy Hill 7. Dora Bryan 8. John Freeman 9. Clive James 10. Fidel Castro
11. Gene Reynolds 12. Stuart Hall 13. Guenther Grass 14. Kirk Douglas 15. Oswald Morris 16. George Blake 17. Valerie Harper 18. Peter Sallis 19.Sugar Pie deSanto 20. Dannie Abse
21. Brian Cant 22. Siegfried Lenz 23.Tim O'Connor 24. Tamara Press 25. Ariel Sharon 26. Jacques Rivette 27. Fenella Fielding 28.James Alexander Gordon 29. John Noakes
30. Klaus Rainer Rohl 31. Helmut Kohl 32. Nexhmije Hoxha 33 Richard Kiel 34 Walter Scheel 35. Hywel Bennett 36. Lynne Reid Banks 37. Gretel Bergman 38.Irving Kanarek
39. John Stride 40Hiroo Onodo 41. Christopher Wenner 42. Clare Torry 43. William Barrington- Coupe 44. Keith Michell. 45 Johnny Hallyday 45. Yvonne Furneaux 47. Jean Alexander
48. Casey Kasem 49. Michael Schumacher 50. Marcia Barrett

"Wehat shall we do with the wisswass tdonkleys?" "Throw them in the turwetts til they've diwed."

#42 Damon Killian

HDWHW

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,204 posts

Posted 02 May 2011 - 07:18 PM

My list is quite similar to Handrejka's

The Waltons
Little House on the Prairie
Charlie's Angels
ER
Seinfeld
Wallender
The West Wing
Ashes to Ashes
Sex and The City
Desperate House Wives
Any of the current vampire genre shows

also

Glee
Dancing on Ice
Strictly Come Dancing / any other dancing or singing reality program
The Inbetweeners or any other T4 type program
Hollyoaks / Corrie and minimal episodes of Emmerdale and Eastenders (If I was forced to watch one it would be Emmerdale)
This Morning
Damon Killian said on 15 December 2013 @ 06:54 PM - "Biggs just for a laugh"

Paul Bearer replied on 15 December 2013 @ 06:56 PM - "Don't think so. He tweeted me to say he'll be watching the Great train robbery on Wednesday & Thursday this week. :-)"

18 December 2013 Ronnie Biggs died

#43 Toast

Sanctuary Seller

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,601 posts

Posted 28 May 2011 - 04:02 PM

The demise of Jeff Conaway prompts me to admit that I've never seen Grease.

I do remember him from Taxi, though, and it's interesting how memory has played me false. I had the impression that he was very handsome when younger (although not really my type). Yet looking back now at old pics from Taxi, he was not nearly as attractive as I thought. To my eyes, that is.
DDP teams:
If I'm Spared Myself, Of Course
Toast of the Turf
Nearer My God To Thee

#44 Davey Jones' Locker

I Need To Get A Life!

• Members
  • 1,635 posts

Posted 28 May 2011 - 08:51 PM

View Posthonez, on Feb 23 2011, 01:32 PM, said:

My Aussie naturalisation/lobotomy will only be considered complete when they force me to watch, Clockwork Orange-style, The Man From Snowy River, Galipolli, Strictly Ballroom, Muriel's Wedding and Australia.
I'm happy to report they've not succeeded yet.
Although I'm not proud of the fact that Seņora honez got me to sit through the awful, The Adventures of Priscilla, Queen of the Desert once.
I did quite enjoy the happy-go-lucky tale of Romper Stomper though.

My deepest sympathy. ;) The Australian film industry is atrocious. Limit yourself to Picnic at Hanging Rock, Proof and (maybe) Lantana. Your missus may also enjoy My Brilliant Career. Everything else we have ever made here hasn't been worth the celluloid it is printed on. On behalf of all Aussies everywhere, I apologise to the rest of the world for inflicting our films upon you (and our soap operas too, for that matter.)

Anyway, my [American] boss laughed the other day when I confessed I have never seen Pulp Fiction (or anything else by Tarantino for that matter.) I limit myself to European arthouse these days. The last decent Hollywood film I saw was the Prestige. Could probably count the number of US films I have seen since that was released on one hand.

To wade into the debate above, I prefer "film", too. I can't stand that term, "movie" (or, for that matter, when people call a cinema a "theatre", a "picture theatre" or variants thereof.) :huh:

#45 harrymcnallysblueandwhitearmy

It's God shit!

• Members
  • 1,565 posts

Posted 28 May 2011 - 09:30 PM

Don't be so hard on yourself. I seem to remember a couple of good 70s Aussie films apart from Picnic - The Club and The Odd Angry Shot, but it's been a while since I've seen them. Wolf Creek was kind of scary too.

None of them can touch Bouncer's Dream, of course.

why, you little...

#46 Davey Jones' Locker

I Need To Get A Life!

• Members
  • 1,635 posts

Posted 28 May 2011 - 09:40 PM

View PostHandrejka, on Feb 23 2011, 05:33 AM, said:

Never seen Casablanca, The Great Escape, The Sound of Music or Mary Poppins. Of those the only one I'd be interested in is Casablanca.

I will let you in on a little secret... Despite what the Hollywood hype machine will tell you, Casablanca isn't all that good... It is just a hokey, heavy-handed WW2 propaganda film. I absolutely cringed when I saw the scene where the French patriots drown out the Germans with "Les Marseillaise" in the "singing battle." :huh:

Also, since Bogart has been parodied so many times down the years, it is impossible to watch his scenes with a straight face. The ending is particularly vomit-inducing with the "this could be the beginning of a beautiful friendship" stuff. ;)

Finally, I always thought that "As Time Goes By" would be a single, special emotional centrepiece. Not true. They actually play it every five minutes throughout the entire bloody film. I actually quite like the song but even I was really bloody sick of it by the time it was over. By contrast, the "Knock on Wood" song provides a great, though lightweight, little moment.

Overall: I suppose it is good as far as blatant propaganda films go but definitely not the "greatest film of all time."

#47 Davey Jones' Locker

I Need To Get A Life!

• Members
  • 1,635 posts

Posted 28 May 2011 - 10:09 PM

While I am at it, Maltese Falcon is another Bogart film that doesn't live up to its hype at all, though the whole thing anticipates the cartoonish master villains seen in Hollywood films since, with Sydney Greenstreet playing a Jabba the Hutt type master villain and Peter Lorre as his uber-homosexual sidekick. Bloody hell I hate Bogart himself, though. I wonder who told that bloke he could act?

If you want something from 1940s Hollywood with a similar overall vibe to Casablanca but with much better execution, I would probably have to say Gilda with Rita Hayworth is your best bet.

#48 the_engineer

The Alpha & The Omega

• Members
  • 1,374 posts

Posted 01 March 2012 - 02:58 PM

never seen taxi driver ,the good the bad and the ugly or the any of the harry potter movies.
I don't believe in coincidences

Basketball was invented in 1987 by konami.

genesis 22 16 - 18

DDP 2014 - Sovereign-Reaper

wilko johnsonPosted Image , joost van der westhuizen ,George h.w bush , sam simon , valerie harper , Kate Granger , Katherine Crowe , wojcech jaruzelski ,Sally Farmiloe , Clive James , Billy Graham , Tony Benn , Zsa Zsa Gabor , Vera lynn , Kirk Douglas , Saif Gaddafi , Superstar Billy Graham ,Stuart Hall , Fats Domino ,Isabel Peron.

Hartlepool Deadlypool 2014

Billy Graham
Wojcech Jaruzelski
Wilko Johnson
Sam Simon
Joost Van Der Westhuizen
Valerie Harper
Kate Granger
Sally Farmiloe
Katherine Crowe
Clive James

subs 1) George H.W Bush 2) Rolf Harris

#49 CaptainChorizo

Executioner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 645 posts

Posted 02 June 2012 - 08:42 PM

I have not seen a single episode of an NCIS/CSI type show which seem to be really popular for some reason.
DDP Teams 2014

Heading Nowhere
1Joker Sam Simon 2. Daisy Berkowitz 3.Billy Graham 4.Wilko Johnson 5.Ritchii Kara 6.Sally Farmiloe 7.Andrew Madoff 8.Kate Granger 9.Joe McGinniss 10.Katherine Crowe 11.Pete Way 12.Albert Reynolds 13.Jack Ramsay 14.David Norris 15.Valerie Harper 16.Joost van der Westhuizen 17.Clive James 18.Pat Rice 19.Michael Schumacher 20.Darren Daulton

Theme teams
Last Picture Show(Film Directors)
Joker Seijun Suzuki 2.Jonas Mekas 3.Ib Melchior 4.Bernardo Bertolucci 5.Manoel de Oliveira 6.Gabriel Axel 7.Lewis Gilbert 8.Lina Wertmuller 9.Michael Anderson 10.Miklos Jancso 11.Franco Zeffirelli 12.Alain Resnais 13.Lee Grant 14.Tinto Brass 15.Andrew V. McLaglen 16.Adolfo Aristarian 17.Vojtech Jasny 18.Andrejz Wadja 19.Francesco Rosi 20.Arthur Hiller
45 Is The New 80(45 and under)
Joker Ritchii Kara 2.Kate Granger 3.Kristen Hallenga 4.Joost Van der Westhuizen 5.Katherine Crowe 6.Chasey Lain 7.Chyna 8. Real
9.Tito Vilanova 10.Shifty Shellshock 11.Gheorghe Muresan 12.Nadezhda Tolokonnikova 13.Gabe Nevins 14.Jenna Jameson 15.Jael Strauss 16.:Asma al-Assad 17.Jen Arnold 18.Nick Stahl 19.Lil Wayne 20.Rosa Mendes

#50 Paul Bearer

Zombie Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,096 posts

Posted 03 June 2012 - 12:08 AM

View PostCaptainChorizo, on 02 June 2012 - 08:42 PM, said:

I have not seen a single episode of an NCIS/CSI type show which seem to be really popular for some reason.

Nor me, although my daughter is currently studying forensic science at uni, I suppose I really should take some kind of interest in it.
This is true my form is something odd,
But blaming me is blaming God;
Could I create myself anew
I would not fail in pleasing you.

#51 Magere Hein

Film land, Homer!

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,526 posts

Posted 03 June 2012 - 12:57 PM

View PostPaul Bearer, on 03 June 2012 - 12:08 AM, said:

Nor me, although my daughter is currently studying forensic science at uni, I suppose I really should take some kind of interest in it.

You could do so by committing some interesting crime. Murdering an actor in such a show should do nicely.

regards,
Hein
DDP 2014 team The Grey Horde:
King Abdullah of Saudi Arabia, Ayman al-Zawahiri, Lys Assia, Sister Wendy Beckett, Ryan Buell Posted Image,Jacques Chirac, Felix Dennis, Aretha Franklin, Ruth Bader Ginsburg, Marilyn Horne, Clive James, General Wojciech Jaruzelski, Wilko Johnson, Helmut Kohl, Joseph Kony, Misao Okawa, Bernie Madoff, Robert Mugabe, Julie Newmar, Michael Schumacher

DDP 2014 theme team Minions of Xuleneb:
King Albert II, Princess Beatrix, Prince Bernhard jr, Elco Brinkman, Corry Brokken, Dick Bruna, Raymond Ceulemans, Godfried Danneels, Piet de Jong, Mark Eyskens, Queen Fabiola Of Belgium Posted Image, Jan Janssen, Grand Duke Jean I of Luxembourg, Wubbo Ockels, Fernando Ricksen, Kees Rijvers, Wim Ruska, Toots Thielemans, Martinus J. G. Veltman, Geert Wilders

#52 Toast

Sanctuary Seller

• Members
  • 1,601 posts

Posted 03 June 2012 - 04:59 PM

View PostMagere Hein, on 03 June 2012 - 12:57 PM, said:

View PostPaul Bearer, on 03 June 2012 - 12:08 AM, said:

You could do so by committing some interesting crime. Murdering an actor in such a show should do nicely.

regards,
Hein

He'd get no points for that, though, would he?
DDP teams:
If I'm Spared Myself, Of Course
Toast of the Turf
Nearer My God To Thee

#53 the_engineer

The Alpha & The Omega

• Members
  • 1,374 posts

Posted 05 June 2012 - 10:00 PM

Thinking of watching the lord of the rings trilogy and the harry potter movies not really my cup of tea though , can anyone tell me if they are worth watching?

genesis 22 16 - 18

wilko johnsonPosted Image , joost van der westhuizen ,George h.w bush , sam simon , valerie harper , Kate Granger , Katherine Crowe , wojcech jaruzelski ,Sally Farmiloe , Clive James , Billy Graham , Tony Benn , Zsa Zsa Gabor , Vera lynn , Kirk Douglas , Saif Gaddafi , Superstar Billy Graham ,Stuart Hall , Fats Domino ,Isabel Peron.

Billy Graham
Wojcech Jaruzelski
Wilko Johnson
Sam Simon
Joost Van Der Westhuizen
Valerie Harper
Kate Granger
Sally Farmiloe
Katherine Crowe
Clive James

#54 Paul Bearer

Zombie Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,096 posts

Posted 05 June 2012 - 10:22 PM

View Postthe_engineer, on 05 June 2012 - 10:00 PM, said:

Thinking of watching the lord of the rings trilogy and the harry potter movies not really my cup of tea though , can anyone tell me if they are worth watching?

If you like special effects, the 'Lord of the Rings' are the movies too watch. (My favourite one is the second movie in that trilogy)
This is true my form is something odd,
But blaming me is blaming God;
Could I create myself anew
I would not fail in pleasing you.

#55 charon

Looking for coin

• Members
  • 1,387 posts

Posted 05 June 2012 - 10:57 PM

View PostDavey Jones' Locker, on 28 May 2011 - 09:40 PM, said:

View PostHandrejka, on Feb 23 2011, 05:33 AM, said:

Never seen Casablanca, The Great Escape, The Sound of Music or Mary Poppins. Of those the only one I'd be interested in is Casablanca.

I will let you in on a little secret... Despite what the Hollywood hype machine will tell you, Casablanca isn't all that good... It is just a hokey, heavy-handed WW2 propaganda film. I absolutely cringed when I saw the scene where the French patriots drown out the Germans with "Les Marseillaise" in the "singing battle." :rolleyes:

A similar film to The Great Escape was The Wooden Horse (same prison camp etc etc). Good old Peter Butterworth from the Carry On franchise was interred there during the war, and was one of the vaulters in the escape in real life.
He auditioned for the part of a vaulter in the film but was bumped ' cos he didn't look up to it :}
And what rough beast, its hour come round at last,
Slouches towards Bethlehem to be born?

#56 Banshees Scream

Dwarf tosser

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,416 posts

Posted 05 June 2012 - 11:25 PM

The IMDB tells me there isn't much playing at the moment to some people. :hatsoff:

#57 Bibliogryphon

Post-Twunt

• Members
  • 1,329 posts

Posted 08 June 2012 - 12:55 PM

Difficult one!!

LOTR

If you have read the books then the films are OK to watch but a wasted opportunity.

If you haven't read the books then I would recommend reading the books but you might enjoy the films more if you haven't read the books!!

HARRY POTTER

Just don't bother!
"I appear to have bypassed my good taste chip"

2013 DDP Teams:

Bibliogryphon's Bookworm Food (Theme Team)
I Can't Believe They're Not Deader
Unusual Suspects

#58 harrymcnallysblueandwhitearmy

It's God shit!

• Members
  • 1,565 posts

Posted 29 June 2012 - 10:33 PM

I've never seen Silkwood, When Harry McNally Met Sally, Sleepless in Seattle or You've Got Mail - is it worth becoming a Nora explorer?

why, you little...

#59 time

Lord

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,737 posts

Posted 29 June 2012 - 11:24 PM

View Postharrymcnallysblueandwhitearmy, on 29 June 2012 - 10:33 PM, said:

I've never seen Silkwood, When Harry McNally Met Sally, Sleepless in Seattle or You've Got Mail - is it worth becoming a Nora explorer?
My opinion:

Silkwood - worth watching if you can get past the cast;
WHMS - enjoyable if undemanding - watch with Mrs. HMBWA for maximum enjoyment;
Sleepless, YGM - haven't watched all the way through - nuff said.
2014 DDP Team (Time's-up team): John Bardon; Dora Bryan; Emile Ford; Valery Giscard d’Estaing; John Glenn; Eldon Griffiths; Bernard Haitink; Gerald Harper; Buck Henry (Joker); Patricia Knatchbull; Francis Matthews; Sheila Mercier; Les Munro; Pete Murray; I. M. Pei; Dudley Simpson; Nobby Stiles; Joseph Wapner; Peter Wyngarde; Jimmy Young.

2014 DDP Theme Team (...and its goodnight from him etc): Ronald Atkins, Ron Brown, Ronnie Carroll; Ronald Chesney, Ronnie Walter Cunningham, Ronnie Dawson, Ron Ely, Ronald Baron Fearn, Ron Flowers, Ronnie Gilbert, Ronald Harwood, Ronald Hines, Ron Isley, Ronnie Masterson, Ronnie Moore, Ronald Pellar, Ronnie Ronalde, Ron Smith, Ronald Stevenson, Ron Suart (Joker)

2014 DDP Theme Team (Roger and Out): Roger Alton, Roger Angell, Sir Roger Bannister, Roger Cook, Roger Corman, Roger Daltrey, Roger Dimmock, Roger Etchegaray, Sir Roger Moore, Sir Roger Norrington, Sir Roger Penrose(Joker), Roger Protz, Roger Sainsbury, Roger Sloman, Roger Smith, Roger Spottiswood, Roger Squires, Roger Staubach, Roger Taylor, Roger Whitaker

Deathrace 2014 Team: Billy Graham (Joker), Ethel Lang, Javier Perez De Cuellar, Efrem Zimbalist Jr., Vera Lynn,Kirk Douglas, Al Molinaro, Dora Bryan, John Glenn, Gerald Harper, Patricia Knatchbull, Francis Matthews, Sheila Mercier, Les Munro, Buck Henry, I. M. Pei, Joseph Wapner, Jimmy Young, Wojtech Jaruszelski, Doris Day

2014 Hartlepool Deadlypool Team: Rev Billy Graham, Ethel Lang, Javier Perez De Cuellar, Carl Reiner, Efrem Zimbalist Jr., Vera Lynn, Kirk Douglas, Maximilian Schell, Al Molinaro, BB King. Subs: Doris Day, Wojciech Jaruzelski

I have CDO. It's like OCD except the letters are in alphabetical order, as they should be.

#60 the_engineer

The Alpha & The Omega

• Members
  • 1,374 posts

Posted 30 June 2012 - 01:53 AM

View PostBibliogryphon, on 08 June 2012 - 12:55 PM, said:

Difficult one!!

LOTR

If you have read the books then the films are OK to watch but a wasted opportunity.

If you haven't read the books then I would recommend reading the books but you might enjoy the films more if you haven't read the books!!

HARRY POTTER

Just don't bother!

Be watching LOTR Trilogy this weekend hopefully I enjoy it lots of people only have good things to say about them.

genesis 22 16 - 18

Billy Graham
Wojcech Jaruzelski
Wilko Johnson
Sam Simon
Joost Van Der Westhuizen
Valerie Harper
Kate Granger
Sally Farmiloe
Katherine Crowe
Clive James