98 replies to this topic

#41 Handrejka

Handrejka

Manx Minx

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,477 posts

Posted 02 May 2011 - 06:27 PM

Not sure if this is worth a separate thread or not but how about popular TV shows you've never seen.

I'll start

I've never seen

The Waltons
Little House on the Prairie
Charlie's Angels
ER
Seinfeld
Friends
Wallender
The West Wing
Britains Got Talent
Ashes to Ashes
Any of the current vampire genre shows

I've seen one episode of Desperate Housewives and one episode of Sex in the City and didn't think much of either or them.

2013 Alternative 50 final total 13/50 against DL 13/50 - See about me page for more details.
2014 final total 12/50 against DL 10
2015 Alternative 50 (4/50)
1. Rev Billy Graham.2. Zsa Zsa Gabor 3. Prince Philipp Duke of Edinburgh 4. Sam Simon 5. Kirk Douglas 6. Fidel Castro 7. Stepehn Hawking 8. Pele 9.Lupita Tovar
10.Ron Moody 11. Jean Alexander 12. George Blake 13. Peter Sallis 14. Valerie Harper 15.Mohamed Ali 16. Brain Cant 17. Gretel Bergman 18. Pat Priest
19. Stuart Hall 20. Jaques Rivette 21. Anthony Booth 22. Nigel Lawson 23. Buzz Aldrin 24. Kenneth Anger 25. Al Molinaro 26. Clive James 27. Tamara Press 28. Izzy Young
29. Zara Nutley 30. Caroline Aherne 31. Cyril Frankel 32. Olivia de Haviland 33. Hywel Bennet 34. SugarPie De Santo 35. William Barrington-Coupe 36. Christiana F. 37. Peter Sutcliffe
38. Dave Swarbick 39. Rene Angelil 40. Vincent Bugliosi 41. Helmut Scmidt 42. Gro Harlem Brundtland 43. Christopher Wenner 44. Clare Torry 45. irving Kanarek 46. Russ Tamblyn
47. Movita Castenada. 48. Klaus Rainer Rohl 49. Desmond Tutu 50. Akinwale Arobieke

"Wehat shall we do with the wisswass tdonkleys?" "Throw them in the turwetts til they've diwed."

#42 BufordTJustice

BufordTJustice

Dumb sumbitch

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,341 posts

Posted 02 May 2011 - 07:18 PM

My list is quite similar to Handrejka's

The Waltons
Little House on the Prairie
Charlie's Angels
ER
Seinfeld
Wallender
The West Wing
Ashes to Ashes
Sex and The City
Desperate House Wives
Any of the current vampire genre shows

also

Glee
Dancing on Ice
Strictly Come Dancing / any other dancing or singing reality program
The Inbetweeners or any other T4 type program
Hollyoaks / Corrie and minimal episodes of Emmerdale and Eastenders (If I was forced to watch one it would be Emmerdale)
This Morning

#43 Toast

Toast

Sanctuary Seller

• Members
  • 2,279 posts

Posted 28 May 2011 - 04:02 PM

The demise of Jeff Conaway prompts me to admit that I've never seen Grease.

I do remember him from Taxi, though, and it's interesting how memory has played me false. I had the impression that he was very handsome when younger (although not really my type). Yet looking back now at old pics from Taxi, he was not nearly as attractive as I thought. To my eyes, that is.

DDP teams:
I'm Sorry For Your Trouble
Nearer My God To Thee
Long Shot Kick De Bucket

"What do we say to the God of Death?"

"Not today."

"There's no cure for being a cunt." 

(Game Of Thrones)

#44 Davey Jones' Locker

Davey Jones' Locker

I REALLY Need To Get A Life!

• Members
  • 2,331 posts

Posted 28 May 2011 - 08:51 PM

My Aussie naturalisation/lobotomy will only be considered complete when they force me to watch, Clockwork Orange-style, The Man From Snowy River, Galipolli, Strictly Ballroom, Muriel's Wedding and Australia.
I'm happy to report they've not succeeded yet.
Although I'm not proud of the fact that Seņora honez got me to sit through the awful, The Adventures of Priscilla, Queen of the Desert once.
I did quite enjoy the happy-go-lucky tale of Romper Stomper though.

My deepest sympathy. ;) The Australian film industry is atrocious. Limit yourself to Picnic at Hanging Rock, Proof and (maybe) Lantana. Your missus may also enjoy My Brilliant Career. Everything else we have ever made here hasn't been worth the celluloid it is printed on. On behalf of all Aussies everywhere, I apologise to the rest of the world for inflicting our films upon you (and our soap operas too, for that matter.)

Anyway, my [American] boss laughed the other day when I confessed I have never seen Pulp Fiction (or anything else by Tarantino for that matter.) I limit myself to European arthouse these days. The last decent Hollywood film I saw was the Prestige. Could probably count the number of US films I have seen since that was released on one hand.

To wade into the debate above, I prefer "film", too. I can't stand that term, "movie" (or, for that matter, when people call a cinema a "theatre", a "picture theatre" or variants thereof.) :huh:

#45 harrymcnallysblueandwhitearmy

harrymcnallysblueandwhitearmy

It's God shit!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,564 posts

Posted 28 May 2011 - 09:30 PM

Don't be so hard on yourself. I seem to remember a couple of good 70s Aussie films apart from Picnic - The Club and The Odd Angry Shot, but it's been a while since I've seen them. Wolf Creek was kind of scary too.

None of them can touch Bouncer's Dream, of course.

why, you little...

#46 Davey Jones' Locker

Davey Jones' Locker

• Members
  • 2,331 posts

Posted 28 May 2011 - 09:40 PM

Never seen Casablanca, The Great Escape, The Sound of Music or Mary Poppins. Of those the only one I'd be interested in is Casablanca.

I will let you in on a little secret... Despite what the Hollywood hype machine will tell you, Casablanca isn't all that good... It is just a hokey, heavy-handed WW2 propaganda film. I absolutely cringed when I saw the scene where the French patriots drown out the Germans with "Les Marseillaise" in the "singing battle." :huh:

Also, since Bogart has been parodied so many times down the years, it is impossible to watch his scenes with a straight face. The ending is particularly vomit-inducing with the "this could be the beginning of a beautiful friendship" stuff. ;)

Finally, I always thought that "As Time Goes By" would be a single, special emotional centrepiece. Not true. They actually play it every five minutes throughout the entire bloody film. I actually quite like the song but even I was really bloody sick of it by the time it was over. By contrast, the "Knock on Wood" song provides a great, though lightweight, little moment.

Overall: I suppose it is good as far as blatant propaganda films go but definitely not the "greatest film of all time."

#47 Davey Jones' Locker

Davey Jones' Locker

• Members
  • 2,331 posts

Posted 28 May 2011 - 10:09 PM

While I am at it, Maltese Falcon is another Bogart film that doesn't live up to its hype at all, though the whole thing anticipates the cartoonish master villains seen in Hollywood films since, with Sydney Greenstreet playing a Jabba the Hutt type master villain and Peter Lorre as his uber-homosexual sidekick. Bloody hell I hate Bogart himself, though. I wonder who told that bloke he could act?

If you want something from 1940s Hollywood with a similar overall vibe to Casablanca but with much better execution, I would probably have to say Gilda with Rita Hayworth is your best bet.

#48 the_engineer

the_engineer

The Alpha & The Omega

• Members
  • 1,735 posts

Posted 01 March 2012 - 02:58 PM

never seen taxi driver ,the good the bad and the ugly or the any of the harry potter movies.

I don't believe in coincidences

''I won't have my son playing no pussy DS games''!!

A Man who never eats pork buns is never a whole man .

genesis 22 16 - 18

DDP 2015 - Sovereign-Reaper

Sam Simonjoker.gif, Joost van der westhuizen , Kate granger, Clive James ,Rev Billy Graham , Bobby 'the brain ' Heenan , Michael schumacher, Helen Fawkes, Fidel Castro , Dave Benton , Mario Jorge Lobo Zagallo , Tom Attwater, Jiang Zemin , Caroline Aherne, Paul Gascoigne, Joanne woodward,Peter Sallis,Sidney cooke,Martin Crowe, Ellen albertini dow.

DDP 2015 THEME TEAM - Couldn't even make 50 what lightweights !!

Kate Granger joker.gif, Joost van der westhuizen , Helen Fawkes, Paul gascoigne, Tammy Lynn stych, Ian Watkins, Michael Schumacher, Edward Davenport, Matt 'Rosey' Anoa'i, Jamie lynn spears, Amanda Knox, Divya Palat, Kris Taylor, Frankie Muniz, Amanda Bynes, The great Khali, Jennifer Arnold, Rob ford, Deryck whibley,Kim jong Un.

Hartlepool Deadlypool 2015

1) sam simon
2) billy graham - evangelist
3) Bobby the brain Heenan
4) dr kate granger
5)
misao okawa
6) Joost van der westhuizen
7) caroline aherne
8) martin crowe
9) bhumibol adulyadej
10) helen fawkes

#49 CaptainChorizo

CaptainChorizo

Assassin

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 993 posts

Posted 02 June 2012 - 08:42 PM

I have not seen a single episode of an NCIS/CSI type show which seem to be really popular for some reason.

DDP Teams 2015

Heading Nowhere
Joker Sam Simon 2. Lauren Hill 3.Martin Crowe 4.Jean Dore 5.Bryan Murray 6.Aimee Willett 7.Samantha Beaven 8.Martin Foran 9.Jenny Diski 10.Stuart Scott 11.Helen Fawkes 12.Kate Granger 13Caroline Aherne. 14.Robert Schuller 15.Colin Bloomfield 16.Daisy Berkowitz 17.Peter Sutcliffe 18.Seijun Suzuki 19.Anker Jorgensen 20.Christiane F

Theme teams
Little Eadies Euthanizers (Documentaries)
Joker Caroline Aherne 2.Albert Maysles 3.Verne Gagne 4.Eugene Peyton Deatrick Jr 5.Desmond Tutu 6.Takna Jigme Zangpo 7.Maxon Crumb 8.Danielle Darrieux 9.Alejandro Jodorowsky 10.Abdullah The Butcher 11.Ginger Baker 12.Joseph Kony 13.Ushio Shinohara 14.Nokiro Shinohara 15.Kristen Hallenga 16.Agnes Varda 17.Lina Wertmuller 18.Burt Pugach 19.Whitey Bulger 20.Grace Slick
Diem Brown Memorial Deathsquad(Reality TV)
Joker Ryan Buell 2.Real 3.Pat Patterson 4.Ozzy Osbourne 5. Rudy Boesch 6.Jackie Stallone 7.Jean Broke-Smith 8.Leif Garrett 9.Daisy de la Hoya 10.Jason "Gummi Bear" Davis 11.George H. Ross 12.Helmut Berger 13.Scott MacIntyre 14.Jenna Jameson 15.Amber Siyavus 16.Diego Maradona 17.Valerie Harper 18.Steven Adler 19.Phil Margera 20.Rikishi

#50 Paul Bearer

Paul Bearer

Zombie Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,531 posts

Posted 03 June 2012 - 12:08 AM

I have not seen a single episode of an NCIS/CSI type show which seem to be really popular for some reason.

Nor me, although my daughter is currently studying forensic science at uni, I suppose I really should take some kind of interest in it.
This is true my form is something odd,
But blaming me is blaming God;
Could I create myself anew
I would not fail in pleasing you.

#51 Magere Hein

Magere Hein

MH: normal field

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,317 posts

Posted 03 June 2012 - 12:57 PM

Nor me, although my daughter is currently studying forensic science at uni, I suppose I really should take some kind of interest in it.

You could do so by committing some interesting crime. Murdering an actor in such a show should do nicely.

regards,
Hein

DDP 2015 team The Grey Horde: 5/20 (37 points, =49)
DDP 2015 theme team Minions of Xuleneb : 2/20 (10 points)

Do I contradict myself? Very well, then I contradict myself, I am large, I contain multitudes.

#52 Toast

Toast

Sanctuary Seller

• Members
  • 2,279 posts

Posted 03 June 2012 - 04:59 PM

You could do so by committing some interesting crime. Murdering an actor in such a show should do nicely.

regards,
Hein

He'd get no points for that, though, would he?

DDP teams:
I'm Sorry For Your Trouble
Nearer My God To Thee
Long Shot Kick De Bucket

"What do we say to the God of Death?"

"Not today."

"There's no cure for being a cunt." 

(Game Of Thrones)

#53 the_engineer

the_engineer

The Alpha & The Omega

• Members
  • 1,735 posts

Posted 05 June 2012 - 10:00 PM

Thinking of watching the lord of the rings trilogy and the harry potter movies not really my cup of tea though , can anyone tell me if they are worth watching?

genesis 22 16 - 18

Sam Simonjoker.gif, Joost van der westhuizen , Kate granger, Clive James ,Rev Billy Graham , Bobby 'the brain ' Heenan , Michael schumacher, Helen Fawkes, Fidel Castro , Dave Benton , Mario Jorge Lobo Zagallo , Tom Attwater, Jiang Zemin , Caroline Aherne, Paul Gascoigne, Joanne woodward,Peter Sallis,Sidney cooke,Martin Crowe, Ellen albertini dow.

Kate Granger joker.gif, Joost van der westhuizen , Helen Fawkes, Paul gascoigne, Tammy Lynn stych, Ian Watkins, Michael Schumacher, Edward Davenport, Matt 'Rosey' Anoa'i, Jamie lynn spears, Amanda Knox, Divya Palat, Kris Taylor, Frankie Muniz, Amanda Bynes, The great Khali, Jennifer Arnold, Rob ford, Deryck whibley,Kim jong Un.

1) sam simon
4) dr kate granger
5)
misao okawa
7) caroline aherne
8) martin crowe
9) bhumibol adulyadej
10) helen fawkes

#54 Paul Bearer

Paul Bearer

Zombie Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,531 posts

Posted 05 June 2012 - 10:22 PM

Thinking of watching the lord of the rings trilogy and the harry potter movies not really my cup of tea though , can anyone tell me if they are worth watching?

If you like special effects, the 'Lord of the Rings' are the movies too watch. (My favourite one is the second movie in that trilogy)
This is true my form is something odd,
But blaming me is blaming God;
Could I create myself anew
I would not fail in pleasing you.

#55 charon

charon

Looking for coin

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,525 posts

Posted 05 June 2012 - 10:57 PM

Never seen Casablanca, The Great Escape, The Sound of Music or Mary Poppins. Of those the only one I'd be interested in is Casablanca.

I will let you in on a little secret... Despite what the Hollywood hype machine will tell you, Casablanca isn't all that good... It is just a hokey, heavy-handed WW2 propaganda film. I absolutely cringed when I saw the scene where the French patriots drown out the Germans with "Les Marseillaise" in the "singing battle." :rolleyes:

A similar film to The Great Escape was The Wooden Horse (same prison camp etc etc). Good old Peter Butterworth from the Carry On franchise was interred there during the war, and was one of the vaulters in the escape in real life.
He auditioned for the part of a vaulter in the film but was bumped ' cos he didn't look up to it :}
And what rough beast, its hour come round at last,
Slouches towards Bethlehem to be born?

#56 Banshees Scream

Banshees Scream

Dwarf tosser

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,472 posts

Posted 05 June 2012 - 11:25 PM

The IMDB tells me there isn't much playing at the moment to some people. :hatsoff:

#57 Bibliogryphon

Bibliogryphon

Jolly Green Gnat

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,883 posts

Posted 08 June 2012 - 12:55 PM

Difficult one!!

LOTR

If you have read the books then the films are OK to watch but a wasted opportunity.

If you haven't read the books then I would recommend reading the books but you might enjoy the films more if you haven't read the books!!

HARRY POTTER

Just don't bother!

"I appear to have bypassed my good taste chip"

2015 DDP Teams: (2014)

Bibliogryphon's Bookworm Food (Theme Team) 1/20 (5/20 - =7th Theme Team League (=68th))
I Can't Believe They're Not Deader 2/20 (2/20 =351st)
Unusual Suspects 1/20 (5/20 =114th)

Winner of 2014 Inverse Deadpool

2015 Shadow List

Sam Simon/Billy Graham/Zsa Zsa Gabor/B B King/Joao Havelange/Olivia de Havilland/Peter Sallis/Kirk Douglas/Muhammad Ali/Mary Tyler Moore/George Bush Snr/Tony Booth/Leonard Nimoy/Paul Gascoigne/Leslie Philips/Denis Healey/Liz Dawn/Herman Wouk/Richard Adams/Vera Lynn/Jean Alexander/Glenn Campbell/Fats Domino/Fidel Castro/Bhumibol Adulyadej/Jake Lamotta/Robert Mugabe/Lord Carrington/Peter OSullevan/Abdelaziz Bouteflika/Helmut Schmidt/Joost van der Westhuizen/Phil Spector/Rob Ford/Bill Maynard/Denis Norden/Abe Vigoda/Rodney Bewes/Prince Philip, Duke of Edinburgh/Manuel Noriega/Douglas Hurd/Clive James/Kim Jong-Un/Ali Carter/Nancy Reagan/Ronnie Corbett/Cliff Mitchelmore/Peter Sutcliffe/ Christopher Lee/ Ian Brady 5/50

#58 harrymcnallysblueandwhitearmy

harrymcnallysblueandwhitearmy

It's God shit!

• Members
  • 1,564 posts

Posted 29 June 2012 - 10:33 PM

I've never seen Silkwood, When Harry McNally Met Sally, Sleepless in Seattle or You've Got Mail - is it worth becoming a Nora explorer?

why, you little...

#59 time

time

Lord

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,361 posts

Posted 29 June 2012 - 11:24 PM

I've never seen Silkwood, When Harry McNally Met Sally, Sleepless in Seattle or You've Got Mail - is it worth becoming a Nora explorer?

My opinion:

Silkwood - worth watching if you can get past the cast;
WHMS - enjoyable if undemanding - watch with Mrs. HMBWA for maximum enjoyment;
Sleepless, YGM - haven't watched all the way through - nuff said.

2015 DDP Team (Time's-up team) Richard Davies (Joker), Emile Ford, Daphne Fowler, John Glenn, Bernard Haitink, Gerald Harper, Buck Henry, Colin Jeavons, George Johnson, Patricia Knatchbull, Sheila Mercier, Les Munro, Cormac Murphy O’Connor, Pete Murray, I.M. Pei, Dudley Simpson, Nobby Stiles, Joseph Wapner, Peter Wyngarde, Jimmy Young

2015 DDP Theme Team (...and its goodnight from him etc): Ronald Atkins, Ron Brown, Ronnie CarrollRonald Chesney, Ronnie Corbett, Ronnie Walter Cunningham, Ronnie Dawson, Ron Ely, Ronald Baron Fearn, Ron Flowers, Ronnie GilbertRonald Harwood, Ronald Hines, Ron Isley, Ronnie Moore, Ronnie Moran, Ronnie Ronalde, Ron Smith, Ronald Stevenson, Ron Suart (Joker)

Deathrace 2015 Team: Eric 'Winkle' Brown, Richard Davies, Emile Ford, Daphne Fowler, John Glenn, Bernard Haitink, Gerald Harper, Colin Jeavons, George Johnson, Patricia Knatchbull, Sheila Mercier (Joker), Les Munro, Cormac Murphy O’Connor, Pete Murray, I.M. Pei, Dudley Simpson, Nobby Stiles, Joseph Wapner, Peter Wyngarde, Jimmy Young

2015 Hartlepool Deadlypool Team: Ethel LangEric 'Winkle' Brown, Rev Billy Graham, Doris Day, Richard Davies, Vera Lynn, Kirk Douglas, George 'Johnny' Johnson, Javier Perez De Cuellar, Al Molinaro, Subs: BB KingMary Quant

I have CDO. It's like OCD except the letters are in alphabetical order, as they should be.

#60 the_engineer

the_engineer

The Alpha & The Omega

• Members
  • 1,735 posts

Posted 30 June 2012 - 01:53 AM

Difficult one!!

LOTR

If you have read the books then the films are OK to watch but a wasted opportunity.

If you haven't read the books then I would recommend reading the books but you might enjoy the films more if you haven't read the books!!

HARRY POTTER

Just don't bother!

Be watching LOTR Trilogy this weekend hopefully I enjoy it lots of people only have good things to say about them.

genesis 22 16 - 18

1) sam simon
4) dr kate granger
5)
misao okawa
7) caroline aherne
8) martin crowe
9) bhumibol adulyadej
10) helen fawkes