Not Seen Any Good Films/movies Too busy procrastinating to watch 'em

62 replies to this topic

#1 Paul Bearer

Zombie Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,188 posts

Posted 19 February 2011 - 10:05 PM

As we have a thread for 'seen any good movies' Thought I'd start up a thread about 'good' movies you've never seen, or wished you had the time or made the effort to go and see.

I have never seen Bambi. I've been told it's a good movie (in a cartoonish sort of way, I suppose). No doubt more alleged good movies to follow.
This is true my form is something odd,
But blaming me is blaming God;
Could I create myself anew
I would not fail in pleasing you.

#2 sympathyforthedevil

Shipman

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 489 posts

Posted 20 February 2011 - 12:43 AM

The Big Lebowski. Everyone keeps recommending it to me.

#3 Memento Mori

Shipman

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 279 posts

Posted 20 February 2011 - 12:52 AM

I haven't seen Saving Private Ryan or Atonement, which are - according to most - ''brilliant''.
Alles hat ein Ende, nur die Wurst hat zwei.

#4 time

Lord

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,863 posts

Posted 20 February 2011 - 02:44 AM

I haven't seen The Godfather, nor Godfather II, nor Godfather III.

In an effort to remedy this situation, I bought the trilogy on DVD about 6-7 years ago, and still haven't watched them.

Similar for Once Upon a Time in the West.

(I haven't seen any of the previously mentioned films either but haven't got those on DVD).
2014 DDP Team (Time's-up team Player of The Month, June 2014): John Bardon; Dora Bryan; Emile Ford; Valery Giscard d’Estaing; John Glenn; Eldon Griffiths; Bernard Haitink; Gerald Harper; Buck Henry (Joker); Patricia Knatchbull; Francis Matthews; Sheila Mercier; Les Munro; Pete Murray; I. M. Pei; Dudley Simpson; Nobby Stiles; Joseph Wapner; Peter Wyngarde; Jimmy Young.

2014 DDP Theme Team (...and its goodnight from him etc): Ronald Atkins, Ron Brown, Ronnie Carroll; Ronald Chesney, Ronnie Walter Cunningham, Ronnie Dawson, Ron Ely, Ronald Baron Fearn, Ron Flowers, Ronnie Gilbert, Ronald Harwood, Ronald Hines, Ron Isley, Ronnie Masterson (lost), Ronnie Moore, Ronald Pellar, Ronnie Ronalde, Ron Smith, Ronald Stevenson, Ron Suart (Joker)

2014 DDP Theme Team (Roger and Out): Roger Alton, Roger Angell, Sir Roger Bannister, Roger Cook, Roger Corman, Roger Daltrey, Roger Dimmock, Roger Etchegaray, Sir Roger Moore, Sir Roger Norrington, Sir Roger Penrose(Joker), Roger Protz, Roger Sainsbury, Roger Sloman, Roger Smith, Roger Spottiswood, Roger Squires, Roger Staubach, Roger Taylor, Roger Whitaker

Deathrace 2014 Team: Billy Graham (Joker), Ethel Lang, Javier Perez De Cuellar, Efrem Zimbalist Jr., Vera Lynn,Kirk Douglas, Al Molinaro, Dora Bryan, John Glenn, Gerald Harper, Patricia Knatchbull, Francis Matthews, Sheila Mercier, Les Munro, Buck Henry, I. M. Pei, Joseph Wapner, Jimmy Young, Wojtech Jaruszelski, Doris Day

2014 Hartlepool Deadlypool Team: Rev Billy Graham, Ethel Lang, Javier Perez De Cuellar, Carl Reiner, Efrem Zimbalist Jr., Vera Lynn, Kirk Douglas, Maximilian Schell, Al Molinaro, BB King. Subs: Doris Day, Wojciech Jaruzelski

I have CDO. It's like OCD except the letters are in alphabetical order, as they should be.

#5 Monoclinic

Missing in Action

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,705 posts

Posted 20 February 2011 - 11:05 AM

I have seen what to me seems like a tremendous amount of films with Ben Stiller in them, which leads me to the conclusion that Ben Stiller is unfortunately in every film and thus it is not worth watching every film. For this reason I have never seen Star Wars, The Godfather, Fightclub, Goodfellas, The Matrix (though I do have the DVD), Avatar, Batman films, Titanic. I could go on. I have however seen Bambi, can't remember the plot, don't they all die?

I make a point of watching British films, films that make you cry, films that make you laugh and Bienvenue chez les Ch'tis, in case you were worried I was one of those hippy nazis that don't let their children watch TV.

#6 Magere Hein

Film land, Homer!

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,586 posts

Posted 20 February 2011 - 11:36 AM

There must be thousands of films I havenīt seen:
  • Most films made in Hollywood.
  • Most films made in Europe.
  • Almost all films made in India, China, Japan and other furrinīspeaking nations.
  • Some films I deliberately didn't watch. Titanic was such a one. The most recent film I didn't want to watch was Geert Wilders' My Struggle Fitna.
regards,
Hein
DDP 2014 team The Grey Horde:
King Abdullah of Saudi Arabia, Ayman al-Zawahiri, Lys Assia, Sister Wendy Beckett, Ryan Buell Posted Image,Jacques Chirac, Felix Dennis, Aretha Franklin, Ruth Bader Ginsburg, Marilyn Horne, Clive James, General Wojciech Jaruzelski, Wilko Johnson, Helmut Kohl, Joseph Kony, Misao Okawa, Bernie Madoff, Robert Mugabe, Julie Newmar, Michael Schumacher

DDP 2014 theme team Minions of Xuleneb:
King Albert II, Princess Beatrix, Prince Bernhard jr, Elco Brinkman, Corry Brokken, Dick Bruna, Raymond Ceulemans, Godfried Danneels, Piet de Jong, Mark Eyskens, Queen Fabiola Of Belgium Posted Image, Jan Janssen, Grand Duke Jean I of Luxembourg, Wubbo Ockels, Fernando Ricksen, Kees Rijvers, Wim Ruska, Toots Thielemans, Martinus J. G. Veltman, Geert Wilders

#7 Toast

Sanctuary Seller

• Members
  • 1,713 posts

Posted 20 February 2011 - 12:11 PM

View PostMagere Hein, on Feb 20 2011, 11:36 AM, said:

[*] Some films I deliberately didn't watch. Titanic was such a one.

That was a very good decision.
DDP teams:
If I'm Spared Myself, Of Course
Toast of the Turf
Nearer My God To Thee

#8 Paul Bearer

Zombie Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,188 posts

Posted 20 February 2011 - 12:11 PM

I've never seen any of the Matrix films either, even though they are all on ITV 2, 3 or 4 every so often.
This is true my form is something odd,
But blaming me is blaming God;
Could I create myself anew
I would not fail in pleasing you.

#9 Dave to the Grave

Shipman

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 386 posts

Posted 20 February 2011 - 03:54 PM

I've never seen Disco Dancer. Apparently now available on DVD. From the bits I've seen, looks like a gift that would keep giving. :huh:

#10 maryportfuncity

Dedicated Cumbrian Corpse Hound, or summat

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,989 posts

Posted 20 February 2011 - 04:22 PM

I'll cop for a complete duck where viewing the Matrix films is concerned. Also never seen Gone With the Wind, Bridge on the River Kwai or I'm Alright Jack. In fact, I've avoided loads of classics, and fell asleep - extremely hungover - the only time I tried to watch Apolcalypse Now.
Posted Image

Maryport is a disappointment for which there is no cure, but the annual Deathrace thread hereabouts provides welcome distraction.

#11 Monoclinic

Missing in Action

• Members
  • 1,705 posts

Posted 20 February 2011 - 05:19 PM

View PostDave to the Grave, on Feb 20 2011, 04:54 PM, said:

I've never seen Disco Dancer. Apparently now available on DVD. From the bits I've seen, looks like a gift that would keep giving. :huh:

Er that just like any Indian party I've ever been too, bar the absence of Coca-Cola bottles on each table and old Mercedes in the car park...

#12 Lard Bazaar

Bang! And the dirt is gone!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,266 posts

Posted 20 February 2011 - 07:19 PM

I've never seen any of The Matrix films, and I am even less inclined to do so because there is this fucking annoying bitch at work with make up like Aunt Sally who wanders round like she owns the place in a long leather coat and boots, I think she thinks she is Keanu Reeves, but sadly she looks more like Vic Reeves. I swear by almighty God if she walks in my office one more time saying 'hello sweetheart' in that patronising drivelly tone she uses I will smack her in her over-made-up chops.

#13 DevonDeathTrip

Tractor Eater

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,070 posts

Posted 20 February 2011 - 09:22 PM

I haven't seen any of the Star Wars films.
Sometimes when we see the eyes- those horrible times when we see the eyes,eyes that ... that have no soul - then we know a darkness.

#14 Lady Grendel

Assassing

• Moderators
  • 1,873 posts

Posted 20 February 2011 - 11:15 PM

I've seen the first Matrix film, it was ok, got dragged to see Star Wars as a 10 year old because my brothers wanted to see it, hated it and have refused point blank to ever watch it again or any of it's successors. I saw Gone With the Wind the first time it was shown on TV back in my early teens, it was split over 2 nights and I never knew it didn't have a happy ending. I can remember it finishing and me choking out a goodnight to my parents and rushing off to bed to have a good cry, oh the joys of teenage hormones. I've seen The Big Lebowski and I did not enjoy it - sacrilege to some I fear, similarly I didn't like Bladerunner or Apocalypse Now.

I have seen half of The Good, The Bad and The Ugly, there was a teachers strike at school one day and we got taken to the film theatre where they ran it to keep us quiet, but the bell went at 4 p.m. and I never got to see the end.

There are loads of films I haven't seen, including all of the Godfather films, Psycho and, to my shame, Spinal Tap and Young Frankenstein (I own both of these DVD's so there really is no excuse). I have seen Bambi though, the stag gets shot, that's all I remember about it.

Mostly I haven't seen recent films as my local cinema is 22 miles away and the last bus back from it is at 8 p.m., so I rely on friends passing me occasional copies of films or sometimes visiting a website I recently found that has many films (and TV series) uploaded onto it, won't give you the URL as I'm sure that's not allowed on DL.

I have had the misfortune to see all 3 of the Twilight films, I will admit to having read the books and they were ok, but the films are atrocious, about 6 hours of my life I won't get back.

#15 Godot

In a minute

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,860 posts

Posted 21 February 2011 - 08:49 AM

If I have a film recommended and fancy it I'll try to get to watch it one way or another, except for The Seven Samurai. I'm not sure why I've never watched this the whole way through. I've never seen Bambi either but I bet I've seen most of it in bits. Another Disney film, The Incredible Journey, was one I wanted to watch as a kid but never did and couldn't be bothered now. I'd like to see Mr Hulot's Holiday again as it was once shown at school as a Christmas film and everybody messed about which pissed off the art teacher who picked it. Not sure I could handle the whole of Battleship Potemkin but I'd like to see it for the massacre on the steps with the baby's pram that has been copied in films such as The Untouchables. Unfortunately they rarely run these films on telly that seems obsessed with running the same films over and over and over again.

3D leaves me cold. I can't see it catching on (which means it will be a soar away success). There are a load of action films I haven't seen and can't be bothered seeing - anything with Steven Seagal - but those aren't good films. The best film I saw that I'd never heard about before seeing it and had missed it in the cinema was Short Cuts. Falling Down was one of those too. Of the the more recent misses, I'm looking forward to seeing Toy Story 3.

Movies? I've heard Americans use this word.
Ring down the curtain, the farce is over

#16 Damon Killian

You b*****d! Drop dead!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,232 posts

Posted 21 February 2011 - 12:09 PM

I am one of the few people in the world who has never seen Jurrasic Park. I assume its good because so many people have seen it
Damon Killian said on 15 December 2013 @ 06:54 PM - "Biggs just for a laugh"

Paul Bearer replied on 15 December 2013 @ 06:56 PM - "Don't think so. He tweeted me to say he'll be watching the Great train robbery on Wednesday & Thursday this week. :-)"

18 December 2013 Ronnie Biggs died

#17 Handrejka

Manx Minx

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,263 posts

Posted 22 February 2011 - 07:33 PM

Never seen Casablanca, The Great Escape, The Sound of Music or Mary Poppins. Of those the only one I'd be interested in is Casablanca.
Alternative 50 in no particular order (13/50)
1.Nelson Mandela 2.Margaret Thatcher 3. Jeremy Thorpe 4. Bill Pertwee 5. John Freeman 6.Guenther Grass 7. Oswald Morris 8. Glynis Johns 9. Zizi Jeanmaire 10. April Ashley
11. Allan Arbus 12. Siegfried Lenz 13. Helmut Kohl 14.Walter Scheel 15.Hywel Bennet 16.Clive James 17. Tamara Press 18.Dave Swarbrick 19. Gretel Bergmann 20. Paul Danquah
21. Fenella Fielding 22. Peter Sallis 23. Dannie Abse 24.Ronnie Biggs 25. Jovanka Broz 26. Bernie Nolan 27. Ron Moody 28. Vivian Pickles 29. Dave Davies 30. Nexhmije Hoxha
31. Doris Lessing 32. Henry Morgenthaler 33. Al Molinaro 34.Gil Taylor 35. Denis Healey 36. Gabriel Garcia Marquez 37. George Blake 38. Brian Cant 39. Fidel Castro 40. Kirk Douglas
41. Aretha Franklin 42. Annette Funicello 43.Bob Godfrey 44. Rev Billy Graham 45.Wojiech Jaruzelski 46.Irving Kanarek 47.Hiroo Onoda 48. Reg Pressley 49. Ariel Sharon 50. Duncan Norvelle.

2014 Alternative 50 in no order (6/50)
1. Jeremy Thorpe 2. Rev Billy Graham 3. Wojiech Jaruzelski 4. Stephen Hawking 5. Ron Moody 6. Jimmy Hill 7. Dora Bryan 8. John Freeman 9. Clive James 10. Fidel Castro
11. Gene Reynolds 12. Stuart Hall 13. Guenther Grass 14. Kirk Douglas 15. Oswald Morris 16. George Blake 17. Valerie Harper 18. Peter Sallis 19.Sugar Pie deSanto 20. Dannie Abse
21. Brian Cant 22. Siegfried Lenz 23.Tim O'Connor 24. Tamara Press 25. Ariel Sharon 26. Jacques Rivette 27. Fenella Fielding 28.James Alexander Gordon 29. John Noakes
30. Klaus Rainer Rohl 31. Helmut Kohl 32. Nexhmije Hoxha 33 Richard Kiel 34 Walter Scheel 35. Hywel Bennett 36. Lynne Reid Banks 37. Gretel Bergman 38.Irving Kanarek
39. John Stride 40Hiroo Onodo 41. Christopher Wenner 42. Clare Torry 43. William Barrington- Coupe 44. Keith Michell. 45 Johnny Hallyday 45. Yvonne Furneaux 47. Jean Alexander
48. Casey Kasem 49. Michael Schumacher 50. Marcia Barrett

"Wehat shall we do with the wisswass tdonkleys?" "Throw them in the turwetts til they've diwed."

#18 welshman

Ewe spoke, we ignored

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 402 posts

Posted 22 February 2011 - 08:06 PM

Amongst many films I haven't seen (including Inception - I bought the DVD to watch at Christmas FFS) never seen the Rocky Horror Picture Show or the Blues Brothers.
"We have enough religion to make us hate, but not enough to make us love one another." Jonathan Swift

#19 time

Lord

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,863 posts

Posted 22 February 2011 - 08:17 PM

I've never seen One Flew Over The Cuckoos Nest.

It might be quicker if I list the films I have seen.
2014 DDP Team (Time's-up team Player of The Month, June 2014): John Bardon; Dora Bryan; Emile Ford; Valery Giscard d’Estaing; John Glenn; Eldon Griffiths; Bernard Haitink; Gerald Harper; Buck Henry (Joker); Patricia Knatchbull; Francis Matthews; Sheila Mercier; Les Munro; Pete Murray; I. M. Pei; Dudley Simpson; Nobby Stiles; Joseph Wapner; Peter Wyngarde; Jimmy Young.

2014 DDP Theme Team (...and its goodnight from him etc): Ronald Atkins, Ron Brown, Ronnie Carroll; Ronald Chesney, Ronnie Walter Cunningham, Ronnie Dawson, Ron Ely, Ronald Baron Fearn, Ron Flowers, Ronnie Gilbert, Ronald Harwood, Ronald Hines, Ron Isley, Ronnie Masterson (lost), Ronnie Moore, Ronald Pellar, Ronnie Ronalde, Ron Smith, Ronald Stevenson, Ron Suart (Joker)

2014 DDP Theme Team (Roger and Out): Roger Alton, Roger Angell, Sir Roger Bannister, Roger Cook, Roger Corman, Roger Daltrey, Roger Dimmock, Roger Etchegaray, Sir Roger Moore, Sir Roger Norrington, Sir Roger Penrose(Joker), Roger Protz, Roger Sainsbury, Roger Sloman, Roger Smith, Roger Spottiswood, Roger Squires, Roger Staubach, Roger Taylor, Roger Whitaker

Deathrace 2014 Team: Billy Graham (Joker), Ethel Lang, Javier Perez De Cuellar, Efrem Zimbalist Jr., Vera Lynn,Kirk Douglas, Al Molinaro, Dora Bryan, John Glenn, Gerald Harper, Patricia Knatchbull, Francis Matthews, Sheila Mercier, Les Munro, Buck Henry, I. M. Pei, Joseph Wapner, Jimmy Young, Wojtech Jaruszelski, Doris Day

2014 Hartlepool Deadlypool Team: Rev Billy Graham, Ethel Lang, Javier Perez De Cuellar, Carl Reiner, Efrem Zimbalist Jr., Vera Lynn, Kirk Douglas, Maximilian Schell, Al Molinaro, BB King. Subs: Doris Day, Wojciech Jaruzelski

I have CDO. It's like OCD except the letters are in alphabetical order, as they should be.

#20 sympathyforthedevil

Shipman

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 489 posts

Posted 22 February 2011 - 09:14 PM

View PostGodot, on Feb 21 2011, 08:49 AM, said:

Movies? I've heard Americans use this word.

You've heard correctly.

You should also be aware that British people use it as well. Indeed as I am sure you're aware, Sky's channels showing such features were known as "Sky Movies".

Don't really know why you made that point, some kind of British English protector are you?

Reply to this topic

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users