- - - - -

Comics & Comedy Writers having the last laugh...

257 replies to this topic

#41 Octopus of Odstock

Post twunt

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,836 posts

Posted 15 November 2006 - 06:11 PM

View PostGuest, on Nov 15 2006, 03:02 PM, said:

Sorry to say, my father, John Drury - Sousaphone player with Shep's Banjo Boys on The Commedians, passed away in 1991. However, I am certain he is still performing :lol:

Thanks for that information. I had no idea, and sorry to hear of his passing, even though it was back in 1991. I share you sentiments in the hope he is still performing. :lol:

#42 maryportfuncity

Dedicated Cumbrian Corpse Hound, or summat

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,384 posts

Posted 15 November 2006 - 09:32 PM

Sorry to say, my father, John Drury - Sousaphone player with Shep's Banjo Boys on The Commedians, passed away in 1991. However, I am certain he is still performing.

Who is? Yer dad? Respect, could you please put me in touch with the doctors capable of conjuring a performance from a dead man!
Posted Image

Maryport is a disappointment for which there is no cure, but the annual Deathrace thread hereabouts provides welcome distraction.

#43 Anubis the Jackal

Twunt Master

• Moderators
  • 3,114 posts

Posted 16 November 2006 - 04:43 PM

View Postmaryportfuncity, on Nov 15 2006, 09:32 PM, said:

could you please put me in touch with the doctors capable of conjuring a performance from a dead man!

Whilst not strictly speaking a doctor, Blues singer Lucille Bogan (1897-1948) may have been up for the challenge, MPFC.

"I got nipples on my titties big as the end of my thumb, I got something between my legs to make a dead man come." Shave 'em Dry (1935)

Later nicked by the Rolling Stones for 'Start Me Up.'

Posted Image
Pardon me but I got to run
The fact's uncommonly clear
I got to find who's now the number one
And why my angel eyes ain't here

Excuse me while I disappear

#44 Tuber Mirum

Relic of the Golden Age

• Moderators
  • 3,194 posts

Posted 17 November 2006 - 10:30 AM

View PostAnubis the Jackal, on Nov 16 2006, 05:43 PM, said:

View Postmaryportfuncity, on Nov 15 2006, 09:32 PM, said:

could you please put me in touch with the doctors capable of conjuring a performance from a dead man!

Whilst not strictly speaking a doctor, Blues singer Lucille Bogan (1897-1948) may have been up for the challenge, MPFC.

"I got nipples on my titties big as the end of my thumb, I got something between my legs to make a dead man come." Shave 'em Dry (1935)

Later nicked by the Rolling Stones for 'Start Me Up.'

Posted Image
That'll be where Mrs Slocombe got: "Has anybody seen my pussy?" from as well.

#45 JR976evil

I Need To Get A Life!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,566 posts

Posted 26 January 2011 - 05:30 PM

There are quite a few aged comic writers still about, though very possibly not for much longer. Longtime writing partners Jimmy Perry (b. 1923) and David Croft (b. 1922) responsible for Dad's Army, Hi-De-Hi, Allo Allo among others, also Jeremy Lloyd (b. 1930).

Roy Clarke, recently bestowed with a lifetime achievement award, turns 81 on Friday.

Ray Galton (b. 1930) and Alan Simpson (b. 1929) creators of Hancock and Steptoe and Son, have the distinction of having long outlived their main stars.

Frank Carson (b. 1926) still active reportedly but not in the rudest of health, has a pacemaker...
Shelley Berman (b. 1925) perhaps best-known nowadays for playing Larry David's father on CYE.
Dick Van Dyke (b. 1925)
Carl Reiner (b. 1922) veteran actor, writer and director, seen recently in the Ocean's Trilogy
Sid Caesar (b. 1922)
Jonathan Winters (b. 1925)
Don Rickles (b. 1926)
Mel Brooks (b. 1926)
Jack Smethurst (b. 1932) best known for playing Eddie Booth in Love Thy Neighbour

Edited by heaven can wait, 26 January 2011 - 06:55 PM.
topics merged

#46 JR976evil

I Need To Get A Life!

• Members
  • 1,566 posts

Posted 29 January 2011 - 04:13 PM

Also veteran comic actor Paul Dooley (b. 1928) appeared in many sitcoms and films over the years, notably as Dennis Christopher's exasperated father in the great Breaking Away, recently seen in the recurring role of Cheryl's dad in CYE

#47 Guest_Guest_*

• Guests

Posted 22 February 2011 - 05:01 PM

View Postmaryportfuncity, on Sep 3 2006, 10:53 AM, said:

The Comedians was massive once over but it's strange that IMBD - normally a mecca for anorak who know their facts - doesn't post a birthdate for half the performers. Has anyone around the UK noticed the likes of Charlie Daze playing a local club? How many of this lot are still alive? Some of them will be well into their seventies now, late nights, loadsa fags and drink, stressful job. We could have us some future winners here.
Jim Bowen has suffered 2 strokes in the past few days http://www.bbc.co.uk...ashire-12540642

#48 JR976evil

I Need To Get A Life!

• Members
  • 1,566 posts

Posted 26 February 2011 - 05:37 PM

View PostGuest, on Feb 22 2011, 05:01 PM, said:

View Postmaryportfuncity, on Sep 3 2006, 10:53 AM, said:

The Comedians was massive once over but it's strange that IMBD - normally a mecca for anorak who know their facts - doesn't post a birthdate for half the performers. Has anyone around the UK noticed the likes of Charlie Daze playing a local club? How many of this lot are still alive? Some of them will be well into their seventies now, late nights, loadsa fags and drink, stressful job. We could have us some future winners here.
Jim Bowen has suffered 2 strokes in the past few days http://www.bbc.co.uk...ashire-12540642

Nothing particularly super, smashing or great about that for him :deathban:

#49 themaninblack

Pun Plunderer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,307 posts

Posted 14 July 2011 - 10:25 PM

Roger Hancock, brother of Tony and agent to various writers and performers, died on April 23rd, same day as one of his clients, John Sullivan...
"I must have killed more men than Cecil B. DeMille."

Gene Wilder as "the Waco Kid", Blazing Saddles (1974)

#50 maryportfuncity

Dedicated Cumbrian Corpse Hound, or summat

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,384 posts

Posted 15 July 2011 - 10:13 AM

I bought Barry Cryer's autobiography, little more than a series of anecdotes, on CD and listened to it last week. Hancock was his agent, it never occured to me he was still alive this year. Cryer, Sykes and Norden must be starting to feel very lonely.
Posted Image

Maryport is a disappointment for which there is no cure, but the annual Deathrace thread hereabouts provides welcome distraction.

#51 JR976evil

I Need To Get A Life!

• Members
  • 1,566 posts

Posted 15 July 2011 - 02:50 PM

View Postmaryportfuncity, on Jul 15 2011, 11:13 AM, said:

I bought Barry Cryer's autobiography, little more than a series of anecdotes, on CD and listened to it last week. Hancock was his agent, it never occured to me he was still alive this year. Cryer, Sykes and Norden must be starting to feel very lonely.

On the upside, plenty of old chums waiting for them :angel5:

#52 TAFKAG

Twombly of Twimbledon Common

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,110 posts

Posted 23 August 2011 - 11:27 AM

John Howard Davies, former BBC Head of Comedy and director/producer of many sitcoms, has died. Also saw off Benny Hill at Thames TV, I believe.

~ O Sting, where is thy death? ~

#53 themaninblack

Pun Plunderer

• Members
  • 6,307 posts

Posted 23 August 2011 - 11:46 AM

View PostTAFKAG, on Aug 23 2011, 12:27 PM, said:

John Howard Davies, former BBC Head of Comedy and director/producer of many sitcoms, has died. Also saw off Benny Hill at Thames TV, I believe.

A legendary producer and of course the original screen Oliver Twist...

#54 notaguest

Shipman

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 469 posts

Posted 23 August 2011 - 11:52 AM

View PostTAFKAG, on Aug 23 2011, 12:27 PM, said:

Probably his greatest acheivment was that he produced and directed the first series of Fawlty Towers..probably the greatest comedy of all time.A sad loss indeed
I was thrown off this forum for posting too many interesting and entertaining posts,thus embarrassing less imaginative posters than myself.If you feel this is not fair or democratic and indeed infringes my basic human rights under the United Nations laws please let the moderators and admin know.Thanks.

#55 TAFKAG

Twombly of Twimbledon Common

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,110 posts

Posted 27 September 2011 - 01:59 PM

Sitcom writing legend David Croft has died. Don't panic! :referee:

~ O Sting, where is thy death? ~

#56 Magere Hein

Film land, Homer!

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,762 posts

Posted 27 September 2011 - 02:10 PM

View PostTAFKAG, on Sep 27 2011, 03:59 PM, said:

I was just waiting to see who'd be the first to spot that one.

A big loss for comedy.

regards,
Hein
DDP 2014 team The Grey Horde:
King Abdullah of Saudi Arabia, Ayman al-Zawahiri, Lys Assia, Sister Wendy Beckett, Ryan Buell Posted Image,Jacques Chirac, Felix Dennis, Aretha Franklin, Ruth Bader Ginsburg, Marilyn Horne, Clive James, General Wojciech Jaruzelski, Wilko Johnson, Helmut Kohl, Joseph Kony, Misao Okawa, Bernie Madoff, Robert Mugabe, Julie Newmar, Michael Schumacher

DDP 2014 theme team Minions of Xuleneb:
King Albert II, Princess Beatrix, Prince Bernhard jr, Elco Brinkman, Corry Brokken, Dick Bruna, Raymond Ceulemans, Godfried Danneels, Piet de Jong, Mark Eyskens, Queen Fabiola Of Belgium Posted Image, Jan Janssen, Grand Duke Jean I of Luxembourg, Wubbo Ockels, Fernando Ricksen, Kees Rijvers, Wim Ruska, Toots Thielemans, Martinus J. G. Veltman, Geert Wilders
This is rather as if you imagine a puddle waking up one morning and thinking, 'This is an interesting world I find myself in — an interesting hole I find myself in — fits me rather neatly, doesn't it? In fact it fits me staggeringly well, must have been made to have me in it!'
Douglas Adams on the Anthropic Principle. From The Salmon of Doubt

#57 Phantom

uber twunt

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,441 posts

Posted 27 September 2011 - 02:18 PM

View PostMagere Hein, on Sep 27 2011, 02:10 PM, said:

View PostTAFKAG, on Sep 27 2011, 03:59 PM, said:

I was just waiting to see who'd be the first to spot that one.

A big loss for comedy.

regards,
Hein

Saw that about an hour ago, but had to get my daughter on the school bus then couldn't find the proper thread for it.
Loved Dad's Army and It Ain't Half Hot Mum.

Wasn't a great fan of Allo Allo, but did enjoy Gordon Kaye's performance as Elwood P. Dowd in a stage production of Harvey at Wimbledon Theatre. He starred alongside Frank Thornton.

Used to get Don Estelle setting up a stall each Christmas at the Arndale Center in Wandsworth desperately trying to sell his albums

A good line never dies
It just smells funny

----

Winner of the 2014 Wojciech Jarulzelski sweepstakes

DDP 2014 4/20
Jim Bamber , Ryan Buell, Katherine Crowe Posted Image, Liz Dawn, Ruth Duccini, Janet Fielding, Zsa Zsa Gabor , Billy Graham,"Superstar" Billy Graham, Rolf Harris, Joao Havelange, Bobby Heenan, Wojciech Jarulzelski, Wilko Johnson, Stephen Lewis, Jerry Maren, Les Munro, Sonny Rollins, Sam Simon, Gough Whitlam

DDP 2012 8/20 - Joint 47th

DDP 2013 11/20 - Joint 24th

#58 JR976evil

I Need To Get A Life!

• Members
  • 1,566 posts

Posted 27 September 2011 - 03:54 PM

View PostTAFKAG, on Sep 27 2011, 02:59 PM, said:

Wonder if Clive will make it to the service?

#59 Spade_Cooley

Rich Homie Quantick

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,930 posts

Posted 27 September 2011 - 04:17 PM

BBC already nabbed "You have been watching...." as the obit line. Bad luck MIB.
"I have never killed a man, but I have read many obituaries with great pleasure." - Clarence Darrow

"Get back to task and participate, or you will come with us at the finale to dance, although there will be shocking deaths. Yoshi is coming for me." - Pikalin Soutdalany

#60 themaninblack

Pun Plunderer

• Members
  • 6,307 posts

Posted 27 September 2011 - 04:27 PM

View PostSpade_Cooley, on Sep 27 2011, 05:17 PM, said:

BBC already nabbed "You have been watching...." as the obit line. Bad luck MIB.

Don't worry Spade, I have something else... :referee:

Reply to this topic

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users