Journalists "Final" Copy

192 replies to this topic

#1 JR976evil

I Need To Get A Life!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,543 posts

Posted 23 January 2011 - 04:50 PM

There are quite a few hacks out there not much longer for this world, many still writing regularly.

Sir Peregrine Worsthorne (b. 1923) former editor of the Sunday Telegraph, still contributes the odd column here and there to various publications I believe.

US film critic Roger Ebert (b. 1942) famed for his thumbs/up down criteria along with the late Gene Siskel, has had extensive treatment for thyroid cancer over the past few years including large sections of his jaw removed can now no longer speak as a result, though he continues to write regular film reviews and is a prolific Tweeter. Has said he will not undergo any further treatment if the cancer comes back, definitely one to bear in mind for the 2012 list I reckon. Plenty of potential for puns too - "Ebert Gets Two Thumbs Down" "Last Picture Show For Ebert" "Movie Fades to Black" "Roger, Over and Out" or how about "Hopefully Not A Thumbs Down at The Pearly Gates" deserving of his own thread really.

Derek Jameson (b. 1929), former Mirror editor went on to become Radio 2 DJ and prolific TV presenter and personality, spotted recently on BBC2's The Young Ones (no, not that one).

That's just for starters really, must be many others I haven't thought of, what do people think?

#2 maryportfuncity

Dedicated Cumbrian Corpse Hound, or summat

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,665 posts

Posted 23 January 2011 - 07:24 PM

I think you have started with fire in your dead pooling belly JR976evil, keep 'em comin.

Re the journos, a surprisingly large number of the ground-breaking American 'New Journalists' - Tom Wolfe, Gay Talese etc, still breathe and remain highly obit worthy.
Posted Image

Maryport is a disappointment for which there is no cure, but the annual Deathrace thread hereabouts provides welcome distraction.

#3 Spade_Cooley

Rich Homie Quantick

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,668 posts

Posted 23 January 2011 - 08:27 PM

View Postmaryportfuncity, on Jan 23 2011, 07:24 PM, said:

Gay Talese

Would be ironic if he died of the flu.
"I have never killed a man, but I have read many obituaries with great pleasure." - Clarence Darrow

"Get back to task and participate, or you will come with us at the finale to dance, although there will be shocking deaths. Yoshi is coming for me." - Pikalin Soutdalany

#4 JR976evil

I Need To Get A Life!

• Members
  • 1,543 posts

Posted 23 January 2011 - 10:22 PM

US news veteran Dan Rather turns 80 this year, no longer broadcasting but regularly bemoaning the state of modern journalism.

Kenneth Kendall, aged 86 now retired, also seen recently on the Young Ones.

Though he may be more associated now with Ask the Family and other quiz shows, Robert Robinson was a noted journalist and is one worth watching at 83.

One-time ITN anchor Alistair Burnett, now aged 82, at the point where will he likely only make the news on his passing.

Brian Sewell, 80 in July.

Brian Walden, 78.

#5 JR976evil

I Need To Get A Life!

• Members
  • 1,543 posts

Posted 25 January 2011 - 04:18 AM

Former 60 Minutes anchor Mike Wallace (b. 1918) retired 2008 said to be in poor health, has suffered from clinical depression...

#6 Magere Hein

Film land, Homer!

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,527 posts

Posted 01 June 2011 - 06:52 PM

While researching General Giap (who'll turn 100 this summer, at my disadvantage) on the web I ran into an article by historian and journalist Stanley Karnow.

Posted Image

At 86, he's getting on considerably. As a Pulitzer Prize winner and a journo himself he may well get a UK obit. It seems he stays under deadpoolers' radar. May well be worth a punt in 2012.

Edit to add:

Posted Image

The caption below the picture in an article at www.cleveland.com, whatever that may be, reads:

This July 8, 2009, photo shows journalist and Vietnam-war expert Stanley Karnow, seated, in Washington paying respects to the first American causalities killed in Vietnam in 1959. Gen. Stanley McChrystal, NATO's top commander in Afghanistan, and Richard Holbrooke, the U.S. special envoy to the country, telephoned Karnow on July 27 to discuss the two conflicts.

He's quite a story-teller, too. A talk about our respected favourite Norodom Sihanouk.

regards,
Hein

Edited by Magere Hein, 01 June 2011 - 08:14 PM.
Reasonably recent picture, link to interview added.

DDP 2014 team The Grey Horde:
King Abdullah of Saudi Arabia, Ayman al-Zawahiri, Lys Assia, Sister Wendy Beckett, Ryan Buell Posted Image,Jacques Chirac, Felix Dennis, Aretha Franklin, Ruth Bader Ginsburg, Marilyn Horne, Clive James, General Wojciech Jaruzelski, Wilko Johnson, Helmut Kohl, Joseph Kony, Misao Okawa, Bernie Madoff, Robert Mugabe, Julie Newmar, Michael Schumacher

DDP 2014 theme team Minions of Xuleneb:
King Albert II, Princess Beatrix, Prince Bernhard jr, Elco Brinkman, Corry Brokken, Dick Bruna, Raymond Ceulemans, Godfried Danneels, Piet de Jong, Mark Eyskens, Queen Fabiola Of Belgium Posted Image, Jan Janssen, Grand Duke Jean I of Luxembourg, Wubbo Ockels, Fernando Ricksen, Kees Rijvers, Wim Ruska, Toots Thielemans, Martinus J. G. Veltman, Geert Wilders

#7 Godot

In a minute

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,860 posts

Posted 11 October 2011 - 11:44 AM

Not the easiest story to put over to a newsdesk when Claire Hollingworth got in touch to say World War II was about to start. I can imagine the reaction: "Is there a press release?"
Ring down the curtain, the farce is over

#8 Magere Hein

Film land, Homer!

• Admin
  • 4,527 posts

Posted 05 November 2011 - 12:38 PM

View Postthemaninblack, on 05 November 2011 - 12:09 PM, said:

Andy Rooney has died http://www.google.co...f4cdc8ad3bb2aba

How do you get the link where I can just have "Andy Rooney" rather than all that spiel?

Like this, you mean?

regards,
Hein
DDP 2014 team The Grey Horde:
King Abdullah of Saudi Arabia, Ayman al-Zawahiri, Lys Assia, Sister Wendy Beckett, Ryan Buell Posted Image,Jacques Chirac, Felix Dennis, Aretha Franklin, Ruth Bader Ginsburg, Marilyn Horne, Clive James, General Wojciech Jaruzelski, Wilko Johnson, Helmut Kohl, Joseph Kony, Misao Okawa, Bernie Madoff, Robert Mugabe, Julie Newmar, Michael Schumacher

DDP 2014 theme team Minions of Xuleneb:
King Albert II, Princess Beatrix, Prince Bernhard jr, Elco Brinkman, Corry Brokken, Dick Bruna, Raymond Ceulemans, Godfried Danneels, Piet de Jong, Mark Eyskens, Queen Fabiola Of Belgium Posted Image, Jan Janssen, Grand Duke Jean I of Luxembourg, Wubbo Ockels, Fernando Ricksen, Kees Rijvers, Wim Ruska, Toots Thielemans, Martinus J. G. Veltman, Geert Wilders

#9 DevonDeathTrip

Tractor Eater

• Moderators
  • 4,070 posts

Posted 24 November 2011 - 10:21 PM

Malcolm Brabant, the BBC's man in Athens, has been seriously ill for several months - both physically and mentally - after allegedly suffering a severe allergic reaction to a yellow fever vaccine. The comments at the end of that article quote from his wife's Facebook page:

My husband has had another long and difficult day. He is now in a heart unit after having suffered an embolism that's gone to his lungs.

Sometimes when we see the eyes- those horrible times when we see the eyes,eyes that ... that have no soul - then we know a darkness.

#10 Guest_Guest_*

• Guests

Posted 25 November 2011 - 03:35 AM

Another BBC journalist,their former health correspondent Richard Hannaford, has died from cancer at 49 http://www.guardian....naford-obituary

Edited by Magere Hein, 25 November 2011 - 11:10 AM.
Two posts merged.

#11 Guest_Guest_*

• Guests

Posted 26 November 2011 - 12:28 AM

One of Americas most distinguished jouralists of the 20th century Tom Wicker has died at 85 http://www.nytimes.c...at-85.html?_r=1

#12 Grande Pablo

Shipman

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 415 posts

Posted 12 December 2011 - 11:00 PM

Ex-BBC journo Philip Cottrell

http://www.belfastte...9835.html?r=RSS
DDP 2012 Morbid Midlands XX - 1/20 (Anthony Bate) =430th - 9 points

DDP 2013 Cannock Killing Club - 0/20 =531st - 0 points

DDP 2014 M6 Toll(ed) - 1/20
Tommy Mundon - Joker, Edward Clayton, Tom Coyne, Ed Doolan, Sir Doug Ellis, Jean Harvey (d 14.11.13 - bugger...), Anne Heywood, Vince Hill, Don Howe, Ace Kefford, Don Maclean, Brian Matthew, Peter McEnery, Valarie Minifie, Raymond Morris (d 11.03.14), Anna Quayle, Murray Walker, Billie Whitelaw, Leila Williams, Frank Windsor.

#13 Spade_Cooley

Rich Homie Quantick

• Members
  • 2,668 posts

Posted 01 February 2012 - 11:31 PM

So, in what was my attempt at a "smart" pick this year, I opted for 29-year-old Times journalist Mary Bowers, who saw in the new year in a coma after being hit by a lorry. The news on the hack jungle telegraph regarding her ranges from "very grim" through to "she's totally making humming noises now, that's like being alive" depending on who you talk to, so I'm not celebrating that choice just yet. However, the Times has decided to launch a cycle-safety campaign resultantly, meaning that a massive picture of Ms Bowers will be appearing on the front cover of The Thunderer tomorrow. Keep 'em peeled.
"I have never killed a man, but I have read many obituaries with great pleasure." - Clarence Darrow

"Get back to task and participate, or you will come with us at the finale to dance, although there will be shocking deaths. Yoshi is coming for me." - Pikalin Soutdalany

#14 Grande Pablo

Shipman

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 415 posts

Posted 14 February 2012 - 11:47 PM

US novelist & latter scandal-hack Dominick Dunne

http://www.himho.com...unne-died-7309/
DDP 2012 Morbid Midlands XX - 1/20 (Anthony Bate) =430th - 9 points

DDP 2013 Cannock Killing Club - 0/20 =531st - 0 points

DDP 2014 M6 Toll(ed) - 1/20
Tommy Mundon - Joker, Edward Clayton, Tom Coyne, Ed Doolan, Sir Doug Ellis, Jean Harvey (d 14.11.13 - bugger...), Anne Heywood, Vince Hill, Don Howe, Ace Kefford, Don Maclean, Brian Matthew, Peter McEnery, Valarie Minifie, Raymond Morris (d 11.03.14), Anna Quayle, Murray Walker, Billie Whitelaw, Leila Williams, Frank Windsor.

#15 Spade_Cooley

Rich Homie Quantick

• Members
  • 2,668 posts

Posted 15 February 2012 - 12:02 AM

View PostGrande Pablo, on 14 February 2012 - 11:47 PM, said:

US novelist & latter scandal-hack Dominick Dunne

http://www.himho.com...unne-died-7309/

Posted Image

#16 msc

Shipman

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 398 posts

Posted 15 February 2012 - 08:18 AM

It's getting bad when people are dying twice.
2014 Pan Breed DDP – S Simon (joker), S Farmiloe, W Johnson, C Kasem, V Harper, G Cole, G Garcia Marquez, P Rice, J Hill, L Dawn, A Briggs, J vd Westhuizen, C Woodhead, C Moncrieff, T Benn, R Buell, I Watkins, H Fawkes, A Reynolds, J McGinniss

Other pools – J McVie, P Worsthorne, V Campbell, S Caesar, L Rainer, R Mugabe, P Wyngarde, K Douglas, G Whitlam, S Hall, A Franklin, R Attenborough, GHW Bush, H Kissinger, E Wallach, B Reynolds, J Garner, N Reagan, H Kessler, G Saks, L Ferlinghetti, O Chadwick, R Asherson, K Ollerenshaw, F Phelps, W Jaruzelski, G Amorth, H McCullough, F Dyson, C Pincher, O Pooley, C Townes, D Slocombe, A Hiller, F Bough, RR Shaw, A Imich, C Hollingworth, S Gall, Ghiggia, C Irving, FGD Jean, H Gregg, F Domino, B Kerr, P MacNee, C Yeager, R Suart, P Maxwell Davies, J Havelange, J de Cuellar, P Dimmock, G Ure, C Mitchelmore, J Nott, H Wouk, J Freeman, M Wilson, T Docherty, P Fox, G Howe, L Cosgrave, N Lawson, B Clemens, K Evren, RK Murray, M Soares, P Vaughan, R Baker, P Lally, L Smith, A Suarez, P Robbins, I Kanarek, IM Pei, ER Killen, J Ramsey, P de Jong, A Rhett, V Gagne. = combined 8/100

2013: 28/100
2012: 25/100
Shadow Deathlist 2011- 10/50

#17 time

Lord

• Members
  • 2,740 posts

Posted 15 February 2012 - 09:58 AM

Former 'Royal Reporter' James Whitaker has died this morning, aged 71.
2014 DDP Team (Time's-up team): John Bardon; Dora Bryan; Emile Ford; Valery Giscard d’Estaing; John Glenn; Eldon Griffiths; Bernard Haitink; Gerald Harper; Buck Henry (Joker); Patricia Knatchbull; Francis Matthews; Sheila Mercier; Les Munro; Pete Murray; I. M. Pei; Dudley Simpson; Nobby Stiles; Joseph Wapner; Peter Wyngarde; Jimmy Young.

2014 DDP Theme Team (...and its goodnight from him etc): Ronald Atkins, Ron Brown, Ronnie Carroll; Ronald Chesney, Ronnie Walter Cunningham, Ronnie Dawson, Ron Ely, Ronald Baron Fearn, Ron Flowers, Ronnie Gilbert, Ronald Harwood, Ronald Hines, Ron Isley, Ronnie Masterson, Ronnie Moore, Ronald Pellar, Ronnie Ronalde, Ron Smith, Ronald Stevenson, Ron Suart (Joker)

2014 DDP Theme Team (Roger and Out): Roger Alton, Roger Angell, Sir Roger Bannister, Roger Cook, Roger Corman, Roger Daltrey, Roger Dimmock, Roger Etchegaray, Sir Roger Moore, Sir Roger Norrington, Sir Roger Penrose(Joker), Roger Protz, Roger Sainsbury, Roger Sloman, Roger Smith, Roger Spottiswood, Roger Squires, Roger Staubach, Roger Taylor, Roger Whitaker

Deathrace 2014 Team: Billy Graham (Joker), Ethel Lang, Javier Perez De Cuellar, Efrem Zimbalist Jr., Vera Lynn,Kirk Douglas, Al Molinaro, Dora Bryan, John Glenn, Gerald Harper, Patricia Knatchbull, Francis Matthews, Sheila Mercier, Les Munro, Buck Henry, I. M. Pei, Joseph Wapner, Jimmy Young, Wojtech Jaruszelski, Doris Day

2014 Hartlepool Deadlypool Team: Rev Billy Graham, Ethel Lang, Javier Perez De Cuellar, Carl Reiner, Efrem Zimbalist Jr., Vera Lynn, Kirk Douglas, Maximilian Schell, Al Molinaro, BB King. Subs: Doris Day, Wojciech Jaruzelski

I have CDO. It's like OCD except the letters are in alphabetical order, as they should be.

#18 Toast

Sanctuary Seller

• Members
  • 1,603 posts

Posted 15 February 2012 - 12:36 PM

View Posttime, on 15 February 2012 - 09:58 AM, said:

Did we know he was ill? No matter, I'm annoyed with myself for not picking him as he always looked like the type to drop dead of a heart attack anyway.
DDP teams:
If I'm Spared Myself, Of Course
Toast of the Turf
Nearer My God To Thee

#19 Phantom

uber twunt

• Members
  • 4,061 posts

Posted 15 February 2012 - 01:26 PM

awww that's a shame. he'll miss the jubilee party

A good line never dies
It just smells funny

----

DDP 2014 1/20
Jim Bamber , Ryan Buell, Katherine Crowe Posted Image, Liz Dawn, Ruth Duccini, Janet Fielding, Zsa Zsa Gabor , Billy Graham,"Superstar" Billy Graham, Rolf Harris, Joao Havelange, Bobby Heenan, Wojciech Jarulzelski, Wilko Johnson, Stephen Lewis, Jerry Maren, Les Munro, Sonny Rollins, Sam Simon, Gough Whitlam

DDP 2012 8/20 - Joint 47th

DDP 2013 11/20 - Joint 24th

#20 Spade_Cooley

Rich Homie Quantick

• Members
  • 2,668 posts

Posted 15 February 2012 - 01:42 PM

View PostPhantom, on 15 February 2012 - 01:26 PM, said:

awww that's a shame. he'll miss the jubilee party

With any luck he'll get to watch it with Prince Philip.

Reply to this topic

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users