Dead

42 replies to this topic

#1 Twelvetrees

Shipman

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 323 posts

Posted 19 May 2010 - 12:55 AM

I understand that the childrens' author Diana Wynne Jones has ceased receiving treatment for lung cancer. Reaching 2011 may be a bonus for her.
"Clive Dunn is immortal"

#2 Garn2

Bomber

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 191 posts

Posted 14 June 2010 - 02:54 PM

View PostTwelvetrees, on May 19 2010, 01:55 AM, said:

I understand that the childrens' author Diana Wynne Jones has ceased receiving treatment for lung cancer. Reaching 2011 may be a bonus for her.

More confirmation on that from her mailing list.

This chemotherapy has had no apparent effect on the cancers, and has not prevented more from occuring.

The senior person in Bristol [Royal Infirmary] has opined that this means she has months rather than years of life left to her. Diana is determined that she can prove this opinion wrong.

Doesn't sound very good, although she does hope to finish two books, so she may last a while yet.
DDP 2014: Colin Bloomfield, Katherine Crowe, Sally Farmiloe, Helen Fawkes, Kate Granger, Valerie Harper, Fred Ho, Sandy Jardine, Wojciech Jaruzelski, Wilko Johnson, Ritchii Kara (J), Andrew Madoff, Joe McGinniss, Mike Porcaro, Scott Putesky, Michael Schumacher, Sam Simon, Lynne Stewart, Joost van der Westhuizen

DDP 2013 (=15th), DDP 2012 (=7th), DDP 2011 (4th), DDP 2010 (=23th); Winner of Inverse Dead Pool 2011

#3 Grim Reaper

Post-Twunt

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,238 posts

Posted 31 December 2010 - 07:31 PM

The Diana Wynne Jones thread

#4 The Watcher

Hatchet man

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 21 posts

Posted 02 January 2011 - 06:28 PM

View PostGrim Reaper, on Dec 31 2010, 07:31 PM, said:

Surely Dora Saint (aka Miss Read who writes rather twee but very popular nostalgia books about rural schooldays) should be on the 2011 list as she is 98 this year.

#5 Oggbad

Morbid interest

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 12 posts

Posted 05 January 2011 - 11:42 PM

View PostThe Watcher, on Jan 2 2011, 06:28 PM, said:

View PostGrim Reaper, on Dec 31 2010, 07:31 PM, said:

Surely Dora Saint (aka Miss Read who writes rather twee but very popular nostalgia books about rural schooldays) should be on the 2011 list as she is 98 this year.
Agreed - the Saint appears to be queuing for her final book signing. And the Thrush Green series deserves some recognition - apart from appearing in every charity shop bookshelf. However Miss Jones looks fairly poorly having given up the chemo - which seems to make people feel even less chipper.

#6 Vinegar Tits

Executioner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 689 posts

Posted 26 March 2011 - 10:33 AM

News of her death is currently trending on Twitter. Died in her sleep last night apparently. The news seems to have come from Neil Gaiman.

***Posted Image WINNER OF THE DEATHLIST.NET JADE GOODY SWEEPSTAKE Posted Image***

...and also the Popbitch 2009/2010 deadpool...

Main DDP team:Madonna's Hand Of Bod (2013: =56th 8/20) - Sheila Mercier | Helen Fawkes | Gazza | Zsa Zsa Gabor | Jimmy Hill | Olivia De Havilland | Ian Watkins | Richard Attenborough | Liz Dawn | Richard Adams | Billy Graham | Albert Reynolds | Michael Schumacher | Christopher Lee | Rolf Harris | Wilko Johnson | Valerie Harper | Michael York | Misao Okawa | Ethel Lang
Personal DDP team:Are You Still Dying Darling (2011: =81th 7/20) - Ken Bates | Zsa Zsa Gabor | Ian Watkins | James Alexander Gordon | Dora Bryan | Manoel De Oliveira | Valerie Harper | Wilko Johnson | Liz Smith | Asa Briggs | Peter O'Sullevan | Jill Gascoigne | George Bush Snr | Mary Tyler Moore | Michael York | Doug Ellis | Pope Benedict | Penny Marshall | Misao Okawa | Sid Caesar

#7 Spade_Cooley

Rich Homie Quantick

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,664 posts

Posted 26 March 2011 - 10:51 AM

Yeah, this is blowing up. Presumably the Beeb/Graun will already have had her obit written up so I doubt we'll have to wait long for the official word.
"I have never killed a man, but I have read many obituaries with great pleasure." - Clarence Darrow

"Get back to task and participate, or you will come with us at the finale to dance, although there will be shocking deaths. Yoshi is coming for me." - Pikalin Soutdalany

#8 Davey Jones' Locker

I Need To Get A Life!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,637 posts

Posted 26 March 2011 - 11:03 AM

Never heard of her. I just looked her up in Wikipedia a moment ago and I had vaguely heard of Howl's Moving Castle but she is definitely not a big name down here in the Antipodes. Well, at least the most boring candidate of the year is out of the way.

#9 Spade_Cooley

Rich Homie Quantick

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,664 posts

Posted 26 March 2011 - 11:11 AM

View PostDavey Jones' Locker, on Mar 26 2011, 11:03 AM, said:

Never heard of her. I just looked her up in Wikipedia a moment ago and I had vaguely heard of Howl's Moving Castle but she is definitely not a big name down here in the Antipodes. Well, at least the most boring candidate of the year is out of the way.

stfu and go jack off over more reports of Catholic child abuse.
"I have never killed a man, but I have read many obituaries with great pleasure." - Clarence Darrow

"Get back to task and participate, or you will come with us at the finale to dance, although there will be shocking deaths. Yoshi is coming for me." - Pikalin Soutdalany

#10 themaninblack

Pun Plunderer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,995 posts

Posted 26 March 2011 - 01:03 PM

View PostSpade_Cooley, on Mar 26 2011, 11:11 AM, said:

stfu and go jack off over more reports of Catholic child abuse.

Now now boys.

The irony is that Wynne has knocked off Liz Taylor off the Deathlist headlines after just three days. Still, the ol' drama queen won't mind about that...
"I must have killed more men than Cecil B. DeMille."

Gene Wilder as "the Waco Kid", Blazing Saddles (1974)

#11 Phantom

uber twunt

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,061 posts

Posted 26 March 2011 - 01:57 PM

Lots of blogsites reporting her death and an obit in Spanish so far.
Shouldn't be too long before one of the broadsheets pick up on the news

A good line never dies
It just smells funny

----

DDP 2014 1/20
Jim Bamber , Ryan Buell, Katherine Crowe Posted Image, Liz Dawn, Ruth Duccini, Janet Fielding, Zsa Zsa Gabor , Billy Graham,"Superstar" Billy Graham, Rolf Harris, Joao Havelange, Bobby Heenan, Wojciech Jarulzelski, Wilko Johnson, Stephen Lewis, Jerry Maren, Les Munro, Sonny Rollins, Sam Simon, Gough Whitlam

DDP 2012 8/20 - Joint 47th

DDP 2013 11/20 - Joint 24th

#12 Windsor

LFN Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,288 posts

Posted 26 March 2011 - 02:14 PM

Ah come on.
I'm sure some Cardinal may have read a choirboy one of her stories at bedtime...before slipping his hand under the covers.
Shadow List 2014.

Wilko Johnson, Muhammed Ali, Helen Fawkes, David Norris, Flora Fraser, Stephen Lewis, Jim Bowen, John Bardon, Albert Reynolds, Rev Billy Graham, Daisy Berkowitz, Wojciech Jaeuzelski, Clive James, Robert Mugabe, George H. W. Bush, Leslie Phillips, Zsa Zsa Gabor, Stephen Hawking, Nancy Reagan, Jeremy Thorpe, Cardinal Keith O'Brien, Tariq Aziz, Murray Walker, Stuart Hall, Luise Rainer, Liz Dawn, Bob Dole, Edgar Ray Killen, Prince Philip, Paul O'Grady, Arthur Scargill, Jalal Talabani, Iain Paisley, Mikhail Gorbachez, Sean Connery, Jimmy Greaves, Sir Nicholas Winton, Sam Simon, Derek Fowlds, Pope Benedict XVI, Richard Attenborough, Harlan Ellison, Fidel Castro, Valerie Harper, Saif al-Isam Megrahi, Queen Fabiola, Ariel Sharon, Liz Smith, Bruce Forsyth, Fred Phelps.

2009: 13/50, 2010: 10/50, 2011: 9/50, 2012: 15/50, 2013:16/50, 2014: 2/50 Winner of the 2010 Dustpool.

#13 Cereal Killer

Hatchet man

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 19 posts

Posted 26 March 2011 - 02:20 PM

Has there been a UK obit yet?

#14 Windsor

LFN Hunter

• Members
  • 6,288 posts

Posted 26 March 2011 - 02:27 PM

Just thinking...I hope she didn't send back her census return early...
Shadow List 2014.

Wilko Johnson, Muhammed Ali, Helen Fawkes, David Norris, Flora Fraser, Stephen Lewis, Jim Bowen, John Bardon, Albert Reynolds, Rev Billy Graham, Daisy Berkowitz, Wojciech Jaeuzelski, Clive James, Robert Mugabe, George H. W. Bush, Leslie Phillips, Zsa Zsa Gabor, Stephen Hawking, Nancy Reagan, Jeremy Thorpe, Cardinal Keith O'Brien, Tariq Aziz, Murray Walker, Stuart Hall, Luise Rainer, Liz Dawn, Bob Dole, Edgar Ray Killen, Prince Philip, Paul O'Grady, Arthur Scargill, Jalal Talabani, Iain Paisley, Mikhail Gorbachez, Sean Connery, Jimmy Greaves, Sir Nicholas Winton, Sam Simon, Derek Fowlds, Pope Benedict XVI, Richard Attenborough, Harlan Ellison, Fidel Castro, Valerie Harper, Saif al-Isam Megrahi, Queen Fabiola, Ariel Sharon, Liz Smith, Bruce Forsyth, Fred Phelps.

2009: 13/50, 2010: 10/50, 2011: 9/50, 2012: 15/50, 2013:16/50, 2014: 2/50 Winner of the 2010 Dustpool.

#15 Guest_Guest_*

• Guests

Posted 26 March 2011 - 02:32 PM

So this is the m o st successful month for deathlist since july 2009 with 3 hits and still 5 days to go.One notes that 3 of the 4 have been first timers too

#16 Guest_Guest_*

• Guests

Posted 26 March 2011 - 02:34 PM

PS my condolences go out to Dianas family and friends , of course...

#17 Paul Bearer

Zombie Administrator

• Admin
  • 6,101 posts

Posted 26 March 2011 - 02:37 PM

I suppose this is an obit
This is true my form is something odd,
But blaming me is blaming God;
Could I create myself anew
I would not fail in pleasing you.

#18 sympathyforthedevil

Shipman

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 489 posts

Posted 26 March 2011 - 05:48 PM

View PostPaul Bearer, on Mar 26 2011, 02:37 PM, said:

Hmmm, not sure I've seen an obituary before that starts with the words "has person x died? Is this just a rumour?"

#19 Lard Bazaar

Bang! And the dirt is gone!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,236 posts

Posted 26 March 2011 - 06:10 PM

Fuck it - she was my DDP sub. I'm never going to beat my personal best of 98th at this rate.

#20 Phantom

uber twunt

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,061 posts

Posted 26 March 2011 - 06:16 PM

examiner.com obit

A good line never dies
It just smells funny

----

DDP 2014 1/20
Jim Bamber , Ryan Buell, Katherine Crowe Posted Image, Liz Dawn, Ruth Duccini, Janet Fielding, Zsa Zsa Gabor , Billy Graham,"Superstar" Billy Graham, Rolf Harris, Joao Havelange, Bobby Heenan, Wojciech Jarulzelski, Wilko Johnson, Stephen Lewis, Jerry Maren, Les Munro, Sonny Rollins, Sam Simon, Gough Whitlam

DDP 2012 8/20 - Joint 47th

DDP 2013 11/20 - Joint 24th

Reply to this topic

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users