141 replies to this topic

#1 maryportfuncity

maryportfuncity

Dedicated Cumbrian Corpse Hound, or summat

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,640 posts

Posted 30 October 2010 - 01:03 PM

I'll leave it to the crew in charge to decide if we should subsume the Nobel laureate thread into this but I was struggling to see where else to post the fact that I've just read a remarkably chipper interview with Carl Djerassi 87 years old yesterday. The length and quality of his remarkable life doubtlessy improved by his involvement in the development of the birth control pill. He'd probably have been competing more strongly for resources, a seat on the bus, space in a supermarket aisle etc if every one-night stand in the last fifty years had resulted in a sprog, or summat.

There are probably many other obit-worthy 'Tomorrow's World' types we should be listing here, before we list them in search of points.
Posted Image

Maryport is a disappointment for which there is no cure, but the annual Deathrace thread hereabouts provides welcome distraction.

#2 maryportfuncity

maryportfuncity

• Members
  • 11,640 posts

Posted 30 October 2010 - 01:25 PM

Apologies for starting the same thread twice.....didn't realise I'd got this first post through before my internet went down on me!
Posted Image

Maryport is a disappointment for which there is no cure, but the annual Deathrace thread hereabouts provides welcome distraction.

#3 Magere Hein

Magere Hein

Film land, Homer!

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,966 posts

Posted 30 October 2010 - 01:57 PM

Apologies for starting the same thread twice.....didn't realise I'd got this first post through before my internet went down on me!

Damage repaired. Which of the two starting posts should stay?

regards,
Hein
DDP 2015 team The Grey Horde: 1/20
DDP 2015 theme team Minions of Xuleneb : 0/20

1 Corinthians 15:55

#4 Paul Bearer

Paul Bearer

Zombie Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,317 posts

Posted 30 October 2010 - 02:53 PM

Pervert!
This is true my form is something odd,
But blaming me is blaming God;
Could I create myself anew
I would not fail in pleasing you.

#5 maryportfuncity

maryportfuncity

• Members
  • 11,640 posts

Posted 30 October 2010 - 04:14 PM

Damage repaired. Which of the two starting posts should stay?

regards,
Hein

The first one.

Edited by Lady Grendel, 30 October 2010 - 07:39 PM.
Second post deleted.

Posted Image

#6 TAFKAG

TAFKAG

Twombly of Twimbledon Common

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,111 posts

Posted 13 November 2010 - 09:38 PM

Didn't realise that the MDMA (and many other psychoactive drugs) 'inventor' Alexander Shulgin was still around, an estimated "4,000 psychedelic experiences" down the line, who "at 85 suffers severe short-term memory loss". No shit.

~ O Sting, where is thy death? ~

#7 wildstorm

wildstorm

Crazy Canuck

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 321 posts

Posted 14 November 2010 - 05:50 AM

How about The 'inventor of the laser/maser', Charles H. Townes? No word on his health, but turns 96 next year. :lol:

2015 Deathlist (My Nifty Fifty):
Zsa Zsa Gabor, Billy Graham, Sam Simon, Leonard Nimoy, Scott Putesky, Bryan Murray, Bernie Madoff, Johnny Gimble, Gordie Howe, Muhammad Ali, Max Keeping, Glen Campbell, René Angélil, Al Arbour, Gino Odjick, George HW Bush, Don Rickles, Jimmy Dickens, Bob Barker, Malcolm Young, Nancy Reagan, Morrissey, David Rockefeller, Stephen Hawking, Charles H. Townes, Harper Lee, June Foray, Mary Tyler Moore, Sean Connery, Carol Channing, Al Molinaro, Prince Philip, Bhumibol Adulyadej, Mikhail Gorbachev, Jake Lamotta, Abdullah Al Saud, Joyce Randolph, Jack Carter, Rob Ford, Robert Mugabe, Jayne Meadows, Randy Travis, Gaston Glock, Jean Coutu, Kirk Douglas, Norman Lear, Abe Vigoda, Herman Wouk, Dr. Henry Heimlich, Liliane Bettencourt

#8 Guest_Pointless reporting club_*

Guest_Pointless reporting club_*
  • Guests

Posted 16 November 2010 - 02:55 PM

CEO of Sigma-Aldrich

#9 InquilineKea

InquilineKea

Hatchet man

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 65 posts

Posted 22 November 2010 - 02:36 AM

Townes is still in very good health for his age, and he's still very active (he's still mobile and publishing papers). Anything could happen at age 96 (falls can be fatal), but I'm not betting on him going anytime soon. (I think he'll surpass Bethe as the oldest Physics Nobel laureate)

Among all the older Nobel laureates, I'd bet against him and Chen Ning Yang dying. The others probably have higher chances of dying.

#10 The Unknown Man

The Unknown Man

Executioner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 711 posts

Posted 22 November 2010 - 03:34 AM

Australian scientist Frank Fenner has died aged 95.
2014 DDP: 4/20, Finished =211th
2014 Shadowlist: 7/50
2015 DDP: 0/20
2015 Shadowlist
Caroline Aherne, Muhammad Ali, Bob Barker, Daisy Berkowitz, King Bhumibol Adulyadej of Thailand, Tony Booth, Ryan Buell, George H. W. Bush, Glen Campbell, Mary Carlisle, Fidel Castro, Olivia De Havilland, Kirk Douglas, Roy Douglas, Lawrence Ferlinghetti, Rob Ford, Zsa Zsa Gabor, George Gaynes, Ruth Bader Ginsburg, Billy Graham, Monty Hall, Valerie Harper, Joao Havelange, Denis Healey, Theodore Hesburgh, Clive James, Helmut Kohl, Jerry Lewis, Vera Lynn, Scott MacIntyre, Penny Marshall, Al Molinaro, Mary Tyler Moore, Hosni Mubarak, Robert Mugabe, Yasuhiro Nakasone, Leonard Nimoy, Maureen O'Hara, Javier Perez de Cuellar, Isabel Peron, Prince Philip, Nancy Reagan, Helmut Schmidt, Robert H. Schuller, Sam Simon, Desmond Tutu, Joost Van Der Westhuizen, Nicholas Winton, Chuck Yeager & Jiang Zemin

Winner of the 2012 HPDP

#11 InquilineKea

InquilineKea

Hatchet man

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 65 posts

Posted 22 November 2010 - 01:33 PM

I was going to put him on my DDP next year (after he got in the news for his prediction) but when i googled his name again, i realized that he suddenly died. o_0

But he seemed to be as unusually active as Townes was (for his age)

I might be able to get some insider information on Hans Dehmelt. He was aggressively pursuing a paleolithic diet several years ago. I'm not sure what he is up to now though. Here's his website: http://faculty.washington.edu/dehmelt/. And a sample diet of his: http://faculty.washi...reds102708B.htm

And a paper of his: YOU ARE A PRIMATE, LIVE AS ONE: faculty.washington.edu/dehmelt/110508.rtf

I certainly do hope that he lives as long as possible though.

#12 Monoclinic

Monoclinic

Missing in Action

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,705 posts

Posted 22 November 2010 - 08:58 PM

I might be able to get some insider information on Hans Dehmelt. He was aggressively pursuing a paleolithic diet several years ago. I'm not sure what he is up to now though. Here's his website: http://faculty.washington.edu/dehmelt/. And a sample diet of his: http://faculty.washi...reds102708B.htm

Blue cheese dressing has been around since the paleolithic times? That discovery merits a Nature publication.

#13 TAFKAG

TAFKAG

Twombly of Twimbledon Common

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,111 posts

Posted 29 November 2010 - 09:14 PM

Maurice Vincent Wilkes, somewhat obscurish British computer scientist and second winner of the Turing Award aka. the "Nobel" for computing sciences. Obit assured and he turns 94 this year, but no news on his health. Thought I'd bring him up though, since I stumbled on him accidently.

Some news on his health - he's dead. Someone probably stumbled on him accidentally.

~ O Sting, where is thy death? ~

#14 DevonDeathTrip

DevonDeathTrip

Tractor Eater

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,110 posts

Posted 01 December 2010 - 08:56 PM

Samuel Cohen, inventor of the neutron bomb, which in his opinion was "the most sane and moral weapon ever devised", has died at the age of 89.
Sometimes when we see the eyes- those horrible times when we see the eyes,eyes that ... that have no soul - then we know a darkness.

#15 thefunkyfaz

thefunkyfaz

Shipman

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 298 posts

Posted 01 December 2010 - 09:58 PM

The legendary Professor Heinz Wolff is now 82, although recent photos show him looking not much older than he did in his Great Egg Race days. So not really a contender for a year or two yet (even though The Sun erroneously published his obit a few years back...)
The Funky Faz's Morgue of Merriment (2014 Joint 31st-46pts) DDP2015 Sam Simon Posted Image, Alwen Hughes, Rev Billy Graham, Clive James, Denis Healey, Denis Norden, Elizabeth Dawn, Henry Kissinger, Jimmy Hill, Kenneth Cope, Liz Smith, Paul Gascoigne, Peter Sallis, Peter Sutcliffe, Richard Davies, Shimon Peres, Timothy Dudley-Smith, Val Doonican, Zara Nutley, Zsa Zsa Gabor
The Funky Faz's Crypt of Chortles (2014 Joint 248th-17pts) DDP2015 Richard BakerPosted Image, Ayatollah Ali Khameini, Bill Maynard, Brian Cant, Burt Kwouk, Dick Van Dyke, George H W Bush, Jimmy Carter, Joni Mitchell, Kirk Douglas, Leonard Nimoy, Leslie Phillips, Nancy Reagan, Patrick Macnee, Redvers Kyle, Robert Mugabe, Shaw Taylor, Stanley Baxter, Tony Britton, Warren Mitchell.

The Funky Faz's Wormfood Bingo 2015 Bill Maynard, Rev Billy Graham, Clive James, Denis Healey, Denis Norden, Patrick Macnee, Paul Gascoigne, Peter Sallis, Peter Sutcliffe, Richard Baker, Val Doonican, Warren Mitchell

"You've all done very well!"

#16 VSBfromH

VSBfromH

I Need To Get A Life!

• Members
  • 1,834 posts

Posted 16 February 2011 - 08:01 AM

Reg Moores

The inventor of the suitcase on wheels and the radio microphone has died at his Brighton home. A former RAF man, ice skater and magician, he was also European Whistling Champion :( in 1966.
Oh, Mickey! What's EGREGIOUS?!

#17 time

time

Lord

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,040 posts

Posted 16 February 2011 - 09:38 AM

Reg Moores

The inventor of the suitcase on wheels and the radio microphone has died at his Brighton home. A former RAF man, ice skater and magician, he was also European Whistling Champion :( in 1966.

Had I realised that this bloke lived that close I'd have gone round and slapped him. There's nothing worse than some flight attendant returning from Gatwick at stupid o'clock in the morning dragging one of these past your window, across the joints in the paving slabs.

Its even worse if they're whistling too.

(admin, please feel free to transfer to Room 101).

2015 DDP Team (Time's-up team) Richard Davies (Joker), Emile Ford, Daphne Fowler, John Glenn, Bernard Haitink, Gerald Harper, Buck Henry, Colin Jeavons, George Johnson, Patricia Knatchbull, Sheila Mercier, Les Munro, Cormac Murphy O’Connor, Pete Murray, I.M. Pei, Dudley Simpson, Nobby Stiles, Joseph Wapner, Peter Wyngarde, Jimmy Young

2015 DDP Theme Team (...and its goodnight from him etc): Ronald Atkins, Ron Brown, Ronnie Carroll, Ronald Chesney, Ronnie Corbett, Ronnie Walter Cunningham, Ronnie Dawson, Ron Ely, Ronald Baron Fearn, Ron Flowers, Ronnie Gilbert, Ronald Harwood, Ronald Hines, Ron Isley, Ronnie Moore, Ronnie Moran, Ronnie Ronalde, Ron Smith, Ronald Stevenson, Ron Suart (Joker)

Deathrace 2015 Team: Eric 'Winkle' Brown, Richard Davies, Emile Ford, Daphne Fowler, John Glenn, Bernard Haitink, Gerald Harper, Colin Jeavons, George Johnson, Patricia Knatchbull, Sheila Mercier (Joker), Les Munro, Cormac Murphy O’Connor, Pete Murray, I.M. Pei, Dudley Simpson, Nobby Stiles, Joseph Wapner, Peter Wyngarde, Jimmy Young

2015 Hartlepool Deadlypool Team: Ethel LangEric 'Winkle' Brown, Rev Billy Graham, Doris Day, Richard Davies, Vera Lynn, Kirk Douglas, George 'Johnny' Johnson, Javier Perez De Cuellar, Al Molinaro, Subs: BB King. Mary Quant

I have CDO. It's like OCD except the letters are in alphabetical order, as they should be.

#18 VSBfromH

VSBfromH

I Need To Get A Life!

• Members
  • 1,834 posts

Posted 16 February 2011 - 12:22 PM

Reg Moores

Had I realised that this bloke lived that close I'd have gone round and slapped him. There's nothing worse than some flight attendant returning from Gatwick at stupid o'clock in the morning dragging one of these past your window, across the joints in the paving slabs.

Its even worse if they're whistling too.

(admin, please feel free to transfer to Room 101).

Get your entry in now!

#19 VSBfromH

VSBfromH

I Need To Get A Life!

• Members
  • 1,834 posts

Posted 17 February 2011 - 05:15 PM

Ron Hickman

The inventor of the Black and Decker Workmate and designer of the Lotus Elan has died aged 78.

#20 time

time

Lord

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,040 posts

Posted 23 February 2011 - 05:41 PM

Leland Snow.

Inventor of the modern aerial spray aircraft died on Sunday, aged 80...

...while jogging near his home.

2015 DDP Team (Time's-up team) Richard Davies (Joker), Emile Ford, Daphne Fowler, John Glenn, Bernard Haitink, Gerald Harper, Buck Henry, Colin Jeavons, George Johnson, Patricia Knatchbull, Sheila Mercier, Les Munro, Cormac Murphy O’Connor, Pete Murray, I.M. Pei, Dudley Simpson, Nobby Stiles, Joseph Wapner, Peter Wyngarde, Jimmy Young

2015 DDP Theme Team (...and its goodnight from him etc): Ronald Atkins, Ron Brown, Ronnie Carroll, Ronald Chesney, Ronnie Corbett, Ronnie Walter Cunningham, Ronnie Dawson, Ron Ely, Ronald Baron Fearn, Ron Flowers, Ronnie Gilbert, Ronald Harwood, Ronald Hines, Ron Isley, Ronnie Moore, Ronnie Moran, Ronnie Ronalde, Ron Smith, Ronald Stevenson, Ron Suart (Joker)

Deathrace 2015 Team: Eric 'Winkle' Brown, Richard Davies, Emile Ford, Daphne Fowler, John Glenn, Bernard Haitink, Gerald Harper, Colin Jeavons, George Johnson, Patricia Knatchbull, Sheila Mercier (Joker), Les Munro, Cormac Murphy O’Connor, Pete Murray, I.M. Pei, Dudley Simpson, Nobby Stiles, Joseph Wapner, Peter Wyngarde, Jimmy Young

2015 Hartlepool Deadlypool Team: Ethel LangEric 'Winkle' Brown, Rev Billy Graham, Doris Day, Richard Davies, Vera Lynn, Kirk Douglas, George 'Johnny' Johnson, Javier Perez De Cuellar, Al Molinaro, Subs: BB King. Mary Quant

I have CDO. It's like OCD except the letters are in alphabetical order, as they should be.

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users