71 replies to this topic

#1 Tempus Fugit

Twunt Master

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,793 posts

Posted 15 March 2006 - 12:21 AM

"I have a new philosophy. I'm only going to dread one day at a time."

It's been over 14 months since I was last 100% sober, not a day I want to repeat.

#2 Canadian Paul

uber twunt

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,132 posts

Posted 15 March 2006 - 02:05 AM

View PostTempus Fugit, on Mar 14 2006, 04:21 PM, said:

I was surprised to find that 2003 DeathListee Harry Morgan didn't have a thread of his own.

This prolific veteran character actor certainly deserves his own thread,

Harry Morgan is probably best known for his role as Col. Sherman T. Potter in M*A*S*H.

He'll be 91 this year, well worth serious consideration for the '07 DeathList.

Posted Image

I'm not so sure. Sure he's old, but he's managed to steer completely clear of health problems, an exceptional feat for a man, a smoker no less, of his age.

I'd say he's got time and time again going for him...
Twunt Master Series (August 2007 - January 2008) (January 2008 - June 2008) (July 2008 - April 2009) (April 2009 - January 2010)

Uber Twunt Series (January 2010 - ?)

I still owe NAP

#3 in eternum+

Post-Twunt

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,229 posts

Posted 15 March 2006 - 02:16 AM

View PostCanadian Paul, on Mar 14 2006, 07:05 PM, said:

I'm not so sure. Sure he's old, but he's managed to steer completely clear of health problems, an exceptional feat for a man, a smoker no less, of his age.

CP, I believe this is Mr Fugit's way of making a point.
Proud to be Old Skool

#4 M Busby Airlines

Shipman

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 347 posts

Posted 15 March 2006 - 03:04 AM

View PostM Busby Airlines, on Feb 13 2006, 07:54 PM, said:

View PostBrunoBrimley, on Feb 13 2006, 06:30 PM, said:

View PostM Busby Airlines, on Feb 13 2006, 04:17 PM, said:

Anyone got news on country singer Billie Jo Spears?

B 1937. Triple by pass 1993.

I know she made an album last year but thats no reccomendation.

My understanding is she went and got the blanket from the bedroom when that big old moon was shining bright...said it reminded her of a blanket on the ground. Then she and her man went down walking by the river where their sweet love first began.

Anyway dont know about her health but she is barely 69 and since she has made it more then 10 year since bypaass surgery she may be artound for a while.

I remember when she had a big hit sensation with Blanket On The ground. It was almost smuttey but it has a nice sound. I seem to remember she had some vocal cord work done too and that she sounded a little lijke Skeeter Davis who sang Help me Make it Through the Night/. Is Davis still alive?

Shuffled off her mortal coil on Sept 19 2004. Cancer.Born Mary Francis Penick.Dec 30 1931.

One we missed?

Anybody mentioned Harry Morgan lately?

View PostOctopus of Odstock, on Feb 13 2006, 11:07 PM, said:

View PostM Busby Airlines, on Feb 13 2006, 08:35 PM, said:

95 & a cigar smoker?
Usually a good sign - no?

One would think, but Lew Grade lasted aeons, he was late 90's when he died, IIRC, George Burns was a cigar smoker, who went at 100 & again, IIRC, one of the more recently deceased WWI British veterans was a cigar smoker!

Anybody mentioned Harry Morgan lately?

One of my all-time favourite actors. Looked well the last time I saw him, which was early 2000's. I had him my DDP in 2004 & decided, if he doesn't go at 89, I can see him going on for years. I, for one, hope so.

View PostOctopus of Odstock, on Feb 13 2006, 11:42 PM, said:

View PostM Busby Airlines, on Feb 13 2006, 10:27 PM, said:

The last acknowledgement on IMDB was 1999.
Any advances ?

Yep, 2002, on a MASH 30 year celebration, which is when I saw him last.

Apparently inducted into a Western Films Hall of Fame only last month, but no word on his health.

Harry Morgan Profile

The above link is a nice write-up. No word on ill-health but he does look a little bit more older :banghead: & frail than he did when he was in 3rd Rock from the Sun & the film Incident In A Small Town.

and below... keeping on the cigar smokers theme - the legend himself. God bless ya' Harry

Posted Image

Still in our thoughts.

#5 Tempus Fugit

Twunt Master

• Members
  • 3,793 posts

Posted 15 March 2006 - 03:10 AM

View Postin eternum+, on Mar 15 2006, 02:16 AM, said:

View PostCanadian Paul, on Mar 14 2006, 07:05 PM, said:

CP, I believe this is Mr Fugit's way of making a point.

No I'm not using Harry to make a point, he's a serious candidate.

Unlike a few recent threads, such as Jack Nicholson and Michael Crawford.

I think that anyone who's been an official DeathListee in the past (and might again become one), should have their own thread.
"I have a new philosophy. I'm only going to dread one day at a time."

It's been over 14 months since I was last 100% sober, not a day I want to repeat.

#6 Dr Hackenslash

Assassin

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 818 posts

Posted 15 March 2006 - 03:20 AM

View PostTempus Fugit, on Mar 15 2006, 03:10 AM, said:

No I'm not using Harry to make a point, he's a serious candidate.

Unlike a few recent threads, such as Jack Nicholson and Michael Crawford.

I think that anyone who's been an official DeathListee in the past (and might again become one), should have their own thread.

Don't dismiss Michael Crawford out-of-hand - he does perform his own stunts, after all.

And he was born on the Isle of Sheppey - as was Rod Hull, and he surprised us all.

Anyway, I agree with your point. Surely anyone who has been on the list should be monitored in a thread, and at 91, Morgan should have his own thread anyway.

#7 BrunoBrimley

I REALLY Need To Get A Life!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,330 posts

Posted 15 March 2006 - 12:47 PM

'twas a pleasant surprise to see Harry Morgan get his own thread. I always enjoyed his work and found him to be a fine and upstanding gentleman of an actor. Loved his work in Dragnet and then seeing him reprise his role as Bill Gannon in the film of the same name back in the 1980's.

Oh my the interesting things one learns when researching. Apparently he has 4 healthy strapping sons from his first marriage, two of whom are attorneys. He is married to the granddaughter of Francis X. Bushman a very very famous actor from the days of silent films and in the original 1925 version of Ben Hur..

I found out that Harry lost his first wife to the scythe of death in 1985(after some 45 years together)but being a real trooper he got back out there climbed onto the horse again and it was then that he married Barbara Bushman (not considered to be related fundamentally or otherwise to Babs Bush wife of former President George The Greater Bush). He married wifey number 2 in the year of 1986 the year dierectly after his first wife passed on.
His daughter in-law is the child of actor Lee J.Cobb who was in the classic film 12 Angry Men and also in Coogan's Bluff.

Further facts are that Harry has been a regular in at least 11 television shows and still knows how to be surly and charming all at the same time.

#8 Octopus of Odstock

Post twunt

• Members
  • 3,823 posts

Posted 15 March 2006 - 08:26 PM

I've said all I need say before.

He's a good candidate, but I will be genuinally very saddened when he does die.

#9 BrunoBrimley

• Members
  • 2,330 posts

Posted 16 March 2006 - 12:07 PM

tpom manhy photos on thes page takes near on a mihntue to load up.

#10 DevonDeathTrip

Tractor Eater

• Moderators
  • 4,070 posts

Posted 16 March 2006 - 12:45 PM

View PostBrunoBrimley, on Mar 16 2006, 12:07 PM, said:

Morning Bruno!

Do you consume alcohol with breakfast? If so I'm very impressed.
Sometimes when we see the eyes- those horrible times when we see the eyes,eyes that ... that have no soul - then we know a darkness.

#11 Bald rick

Shipman

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 310 posts

Posted 16 March 2006 - 12:49 PM

View PostDevonDeathTrip, on Mar 16 2006, 12:45 PM, said:

Morning Bruno!

Not so much with breakfast as for breakfast, methinks.
:P
When you're younger, you can eat what you like, drink what you like and still climb into your 26 inch waist trousers and zip them closed. Then you reach that age, 24, 25, when your muscles give up, they wave a little white flag and then without any warning at all, you're suddenly a fat bastard.

#12 Guest_iain_*

• Guests

Posted 16 March 2006 - 01:52 PM

why do you have a pic of the actor Peter Sallis on in al your posts tempus..are you expecting news of his imminent demise perhaps?

#13 Windsor

LFN Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,301 posts

Posted 16 March 2006 - 03:06 PM

View Postiain, on Mar 16 2006, 01:52 PM, said:

why do you have a pic of the actor Peter Sallis on in al your posts tempus..are you expecting news of his imminent demise perhaps?

I believe that Tempus Fugit is pointing out that the likes of Peter Sallis are going threadless where no-hopers, such as Brad Pitt, have been granted the honour of having their own thread.

(Sallis material is generally redirected to the 'Last of the Summer Wine' thread).
Shadow List 2014.

Wilko Johnson, Muhammed Ali, Helen Fawkes, David Norris, Flora Fraser, Stephen Lewis, Jim Bowen, John Bardon, Albert Reynolds, Rev Billy Graham, Daisy Berkowitz, Wojciech Jaeuzelski, Clive James, Robert Mugabe, George H. W. Bush, Leslie Phillips, Zsa Zsa Gabor, Stephen Hawking, Nancy Reagan, Jeremy Thorpe, Cardinal Keith O'Brien, Tariq Aziz, Murray Walker, Stuart Hall, Luise Rainer, Liz Dawn, Bob Dole, Edgar Ray Killen, Prince Philip, Paul O'Grady, Arthur Scargill, Jalal Talabani, Iain Paisley, Mikhail Gorbachez, Sean Connery, Jimmy Greaves, Sir Nicholas Winton, Sam Simon, Derek Fowlds, Pope Benedict XVI, Richard Attenborough, Harlan Ellison, Fidel Castro, Valerie Harper, Saif al-Isam Megrahi, Queen Fabiola, Ariel Sharon, Liz Smith, Bruce Forsyth, Fred Phelps.

2009: 13/50, 2010: 10/50, 2011: 9/50, 2012: 15/50, 2013:16/50, 2014: 5/50 Winner of the 2010 Dustpool.

#14 BrunoBrimley

• Members
  • 2,330 posts

Posted 16 March 2006 - 08:52 PM

Morning Bruno!

it ahelops to moistern the oatmeal befoire I start cooking it and goes good onthe corn glakes as well, today I was otu of bourbon so I suvbstittitited some brugandy I founexd on mu cupbord.

#15 Canadian Paul

uber twunt

• Members
  • 4,132 posts

Posted 17 March 2006 - 01:04 AM

View PostBrunoBrimley, on Mar 16 2006, 12:52 PM, said:

Morning Bruno!

it ahelops to moistern the oatmeal befoire I start cooking it and goes good onthe corn glakes as well, today I was otu of bourbon so I suvbstittitited some brugandy I founexd on mu cupbord.

For our annual Sungod Festival, my roommate made Beer Soup, a traditional breakfast in Germany that essentially consists of bread, eggs and beer. A good sip or two of that will send your insides running.

Then of course there's Breakfast with the Captain: Captain Crunch + Captain Morgan. And Beerios.

But moving this thread back on topic, I still think Harry Morgan has a few years in him at least, despite what others think.
Twunt Master Series (August 2007 - January 2008) (January 2008 - June 2008) (July 2008 - April 2009) (April 2009 - January 2010)

I still owe NAP

#16 BrunoBrimley

• Members
  • 2,330 posts

Posted 17 March 2006 - 01:17 PM

muchr oblighes fgor those breakfast treats trips Paulei.

and I agrree Harry Mortgan should live mjany more years. I enjoued his work in third rock frome the sun as well wherer he played a rather sexyt pld progfresser. SDome episode aboutr an offfice with a tree if I recalsl it right.

sotty for the bad spellling tyheis morning had a rough nighrt which I cant completely renenber.

#17 TLC

Assassin

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 848 posts

Posted 17 March 2006 - 02:09 PM

View PostBrunoBrimley, on Mar 17 2006, 01:17 PM, said:

sotty for the bad spellling tyheis morning had a rough nighrt which I cant completely renenber.
A useful 'pick me up' I favour is the Vodka Espresso. It combines hair of the dog with a big jolt of caffeine in one tiny cup.

Could go nicely with CP's beer soup or Beerios ™ to help make sure you consume all of the important food groups in one hit before starting your day.

That's if your day is going to be an all day piss up (such as St. Paddy's day) at any rate. :unsure:
'I know a man named Hank,
he has more rhymes than a serious bank'

#18 Canadian Paul

uber twunt

• Members
  • 4,132 posts

Posted 10 April 2006 - 07:10 PM

91 today!

And still sexy:
Posted Image

I still owe NAP

#19 pulphack

Shipman

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 277 posts

Posted 10 April 2006 - 07:34 PM

blimey - happy birthday harry! cracking character actor and sounds like an all-round nice guy.

i suspect that with no major health problems he may not be as much of a candidate as we think. i was talking to a friend of mine who used to be an assesor for an insurance company about this guy we know who's 99 and in good health. apparently, the insurance company my chum worked for employed someone to work out the risk on insuring ancient types (i think they all have such assesors, but their actual job title escapes me). anyway, once they get past 90 and they have good health, their chances of pressing on to a 100 are greatly on the up. it's only once they get past 100 - apparently they tend to drop off the perch really quickly - yeah, i know, but i mean REALLY quickly, as though once the subconscious target is reached, everything relaxes a little too much.

so perhaps we should only be looking at him as a serious candidate in 2015!

incidentally, some francis x. bushman trivia - his last film, as far as i can see, was The Ghost In the Invisible Bikini, alongside nancy sinatra, basil rathbone, patsy kelly, and boris karloff. what a way to go...

#20 Handrejka

Manx Minx

• Members
  • 2,275 posts

Posted 10 April 2006 - 08:00 PM

[quote name='pulphack' post='59087' date='Apr 10 2006, 08:34 PM']blimey - happy birthday harry! cracking character actor and sounds like an all-round nice guy.

i suspect that with no major health problems he may not be as much of a candidate as we think. i was talking to a friend of mine who used to be an assesor for an insurance company about this guy we know who's 99 and in good health. apparently, the insurance company my chum worked for employed someone to work out the risk on insuring ancient types (i think they all have such assesors, but their actual job title escapes me). anyway, once they get past 90 and they have good health, their chances of pressing on to a 100 are greatly on the up. it's only once they get past 100 - apparently they tend to drop off the perch really quickly - yeah, i know, but i mean REALLY quickly, as though once the subconscious target is reached, everything relaxes a little too much.[/quote]

Reminds me of a guy I spoke to at work recently. 93 years old and looking for long term investments and then there was my mum's 96 year old neighbour who's just renewed is passport for 10 years.

I think Harry Morgan will be good for a few years yet. Hope so, seems like a genuinely good sort.

[Quote fixed - HCW another glitch???]
Alternative 50 in no particular order (13/50)
1.Nelson Mandela 2.Margaret Thatcher 3. Jeremy Thorpe 4. Bill Pertwee 5. John Freeman 6.Guenther Grass 7. Oswald Morris 8. Glynis Johns 9. Zizi Jeanmaire 10. April Ashley
11. Allan Arbus 12. Siegfried Lenz 13. Helmut Kohl 14.Walter Scheel 15.Hywel Bennet 16.Clive James 17. Tamara Press 18.Dave Swarbrick 19. Gretel Bergmann 20. Paul Danquah
21. Fenella Fielding 22. Peter Sallis 23. Dannie Abse 24.Ronnie Biggs 25. Jovanka Broz 26. Bernie Nolan 27. Ron Moody 28. Vivian Pickles 29. Dave Davies 30. Nexhmije Hoxha
31. Doris Lessing 32. Henry Morgenthaler 33. Al Molinaro 34.Gil Taylor 35. Denis Healey 36. Gabriel Garcia Marquez 37. George Blake 38. Brian Cant 39. Fidel Castro 40. Kirk Douglas
41. Aretha Franklin 42. Annette Funicello 43.Bob Godfrey 44. Rev Billy Graham 45.Wojiech Jaruzelski 46.Irving Kanarek 47.Hiroo Onoda 48. Reg Pressley 49. Ariel Sharon 50. Duncan Norvelle.

2014 Alternative 50 in no order (7/50)
1. Jeremy Thorpe  2. Rev Billy Graham 3. Wojiech Jaruzelski 4. Stephen Hawking 5. Ron Moody 6. Jimmy Hill 7. Dora Bryan 8. John Freeman 9. Clive James 10. Fidel Castro
11. Gene Reynolds 12. Stuart Hall 13. Guenther Grass 14. Kirk Douglas 15. Oswald Morris  16. George Blake 17. Valerie Harper 18. Peter Sallis 19.Sugar Pie deSanto 20. Dannie Abse
21. Brian Cant 22. Siegfried Lenz 23.Tim O'Connor 24. Tamara Press 25. Ariel Sharon 26. Jacques Rivette 27. Fenella Fielding 28.James Alexander Gordon 29. John Noakes
30. Klaus Rainer Rohl 31. Helmut Kohl 32. Nexhmije Hoxha 33 Richard Kiel 34 Walter Scheel 35. Hywel Bennett 36. Lynne Reid Banks 37. Gretel Bergman 38.Irving Kanarek
39. John Stride 40Hiroo Onodo 41. Christopher Wenner 42. Clare Torry 43. William Barrington- Coupe 44. Keith Michell. 45 Johnny Hallyday 45. Yvonne Furneaux 47.  Jean Alexander
48. Casey Kasem 49. Michael Schumacher 50. Marcia Barrett

"Wehat shall we do with the wisswass tdonkleys?" "Throw them in the turwetts til they've diwed."

Reply to this topic

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users