- - - - -

Country for Old Men (and Women) So lonesome, they could die.

109 replies to this topic

#1 Anubis the Jackal

Twunt Master

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,114 posts

Posted 21 November 2008 - 11:37 AM

OK, we've got the Old Bluesman thread, the Old Folkies home and the Jazzers. Here's a new 'un for the Kings and Queens of Country, rednecks, crackers, lonesome wolves and rhinestone cowboys.

Kicking off with Kitty Wells, who I was very suprised to learn was still alive, 89 years old. I really like her version of Dylans "Forever Young"
Pardon me but I got to run
The fact's uncommonly clear
I got to find who's now the number one
And why my angel eyes ain't here

Excuse me while I disappear

#2 maryportfuncity

Dedicated Cumbrian Corpse Hound, or summat

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,312 posts

Posted 21 November 2008 - 12:30 PM

I'll see your Kitty Wells and raise you Earl Scruggs 84 year old banjo legend and lifetime achiever - in Country Music Award terms. Still in pretty good nick, mind.
Posted Image

Maryport is a disappointment for which there is no cure, but the annual Deathrace thread hereabouts provides welcome distraction.

#3 Monoclinic

Missing in Action

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,705 posts

Posted 21 November 2008 - 01:06 PM

I know of several suitable candidates for this thread... Jonathan Ross, Jamie Oliver, Simon Cowell, Harry Redknapp...

Oh that's cOunt...

[MPFC]Coat's on[/MPFC]

#4 Dave to the Grave

Shipman

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 386 posts

Posted 21 November 2008 - 01:06 PM

What about a Johnny Cash connection? Carl Smith, 81 year old first husband of June Carter Cash, and drinking buddy of Johnny.

I went to a country and western dance once.

I should have watched this first.

#5 DevonDeathTrip

Tractor Eater

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,070 posts

Posted 07 December 2008 - 02:40 PM

Another Johnny Cash connection; Marshall Grant, the only surviving member of Johnny Cash and The Tennessee Two, is now eighty and retired from the music business.

Also, country singer Thomas Hoyt "Slim" Bryant is 100 today.
Sometimes when we see the eyes- those horrible times when we see the eyes,eyes that ... that have no soul - then we know a darkness.

#6 DevonDeathTrip

Tractor Eater

• Moderators
  • 4,070 posts

Posted 17 January 2010 - 12:51 PM

American country music singer Carl Smith, who was very popular in the 1950s and 60s, died yesterday, according to his Wikipedia page. He was the former husband of June Carter Cash and the drinking companion of Johnny Cash.
Sometimes when we see the eyes- those horrible times when we see the eyes,eyes that ... that have no soul - then we know a darkness.

#7 Falkekopf

Shipman

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 386 posts

Posted 17 January 2010 - 03:11 PM

View PostDevonDeathTrip, on Jan 17 2010, 12:51 PM, said:

American country music singer Carl Smith, who was very popular in the 1950s and 60s, died yesterday, according to his Wikipedia page. He was the former husband of June Carter Cash and the drinking companion of Johnny Cash.

First confirmation.
DDP 2012 Team - Dance On Your Grave (=111th 5/20)

DDP 2013 Team - Dance On Your Grave (=136th 4/20)

DDP 2014 Team - Dance On Your Grave

Valerie Harper - Wilko Johnson - Clive James - Carla Laemmle - Olivia De Havilland - Sam Simon - Lord Peter Carrington - Liz Dawn - Rev Billy Graham - George Blake - Peter Sallis - Nik Turner - Prince Phillip - Baron Bramall - Geoffrey Bayldon - Damaris Hayman - Dora Bryan - Cliff Michelmore - Gough Whitlam - Christopher Lee

#8 The Unknown Man

Executioner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 685 posts

Posted 15 July 2010 - 06:56 PM

Legendary country music singer Hank Cochran has died at age 74 of pancreatic cancer.
2013 DDP: 8/20, Finished =46th
2013 Shadowlist: 19/50
2014 DDP: 3/20
2014 shadow list
Muhammad Ali, Bob Barker, Pope Benedict XVI, Ryan Buell, George H. W. Bush, Mary Carlisle, Fidel Castro, Olivia de Havilland, Fred DeLuca, Kirk Douglas, Roy Douglas, Lawrence Ferlinghetti, Rhonda Fleming, Zsa Zsa Gabor, George Gaynes, Ruth Bader Ginsburg, Billy Graham, Valerie Harper, Denis Healey, Theodore Hesburgh, Clive James, Wojciech Jaruzelski, Wilko Johnson, Helmut Kohl, Jack Kyle, Carla Laemmle, Vera Lynn, Penny Marshall, John McVie, Al Molinaro, Hosni Mubarak, Robert Mugabe, Yasuhiro Nakasone, Maureen O'Hara, Isabel Peron, Prince Philip, Luise Rainer, Nancy Reagan, Helmut Schmidt, Robert Schuller, Ariel Sharon, Sam Simon, Kay Starr, Randy Travis, Joost Van Der Westhuizen, Gough Whitlam, Nicholas Winton, Chuck Yeager, Jiang Zemin & Efrem Zimbalist, Jr.

Winner of the 2012 HPDP

#9 harrymcnallysblueandwhitearmy

It's God shit!

• Members
  • 1,565 posts

Posted 21 July 2010 - 08:08 PM

Nashville stalwart session muso Fred Carter has died. He worked with every man, woman and their dog, including Roy Orbison, Ronnie Hawkins, The Band, Neil Young and Joan Baez, played guitar on The Boxer and bass on Lay Lady Lay. That's worthy of a mention in my book. Tough choice between the country and folkie threads, mind.

why, you little...

#10 VSBfromH

I Need To Get A Life!

• Members
  • 1,834 posts

Posted 16 August 2010 - 09:32 PM

George Richey

Songwriter, producer, music publisher and manager and widower of Tammy Wynette (her fifth and last husband), has died aged 74.
Oh, Mickey! What's EGREGIOUS?!

#11 DevonDeathTrip

Tractor Eater

• Moderators
  • 4,070 posts

Posted 16 September 2010 - 06:25 PM

View PostCanadian Paul, on Dec 19 2008, 11:10 PM, said:

View PostPhantom, on Nov 4 2008, 10:47 PM, said:

Merle Haggard has had a tumour removed from his lung

Merle Haggard will be at a concert in January. Quite the accomplishment, less than two months after lung cancer surgery... will be interesting to see if it happens...

Merle Haggard has just cancelled the remainder of his tour due to a "respiratory illness". Worth keeping an eye on, given his medical history.

#12 VSBfromH

I Need To Get A Life!

• Members
  • 1,834 posts

Posted 16 September 2010 - 06:49 PM

View PostDevonDeathTrip, on Sep 16 2010, 07:25 PM, said:

Merle Haggard will be at a concert in January. Quite the accomplishment, less than two months after lung cancer surgery... will be interesting to see if it happens...

Merle Haggard has just cancelled the remainder of his tour due to a "respiratory illness". Worth keeping an eye on, given his medical history.

Last time I saw him, he was looking... exhausted? unwell? depleted? damn, what is the word I'm looking for?!
Oh, Mickey! What's EGREGIOUS?!

#13 Rotten Ali

Value for money

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,274 posts

Posted 17 September 2010 - 01:57 PM

View PostVSBfromH, on Sep 16 2010, 07:49 PM, said:

View PostDevonDeathTrip, on Sep 16 2010, 07:25 PM, said:

Last time I saw him, he was looking... exhausted? unwell? depleted? damn, what is the word I'm looking for?!

Funny this - got him on my list but not put down his medical history - have now - thanks DDT - new in at number 88.
Yes yes yes yes yes... yes yes yes yes, no!

(Trevor Peacock as Jim Trott in the Vicar of Dibley)

DL Shadow List: King Abdullah, Muhammad Ali, Sir Richard Attenborough, Tariq Aziz, Pope Benedict XVI, Tony Benn, Ian Brady, George HW Bush, Sid Caeser, Fidel Castro, George Cole, Katherine Crowe, Liz Dawn, Bob Dole, Kirk Douglas, Jean Claude Duvalier, Queen Fabiola of Belgium, Louis Farrakhan, Aretha Franklin, Zsa Zsa Gabor, James Garner, Ruth Bader Ginsburg, Mikhail Gorbachev, Billy Graham, King Harald V of Norway, Valerie Harper, Joao Havelange, Stephen Hawking, Jimmy Hill, Clive James, Yahya Jammeh, General Jaruzelski, Wilko Johnson, Casey Kasem, Stan Lee, Jerry Lee Lewis, Penny Marshall, T O N Mbasogo, Mary Tyler Moore, Hosni Mubarak, Ian Paisley, Nancy Reagan, Albert Reynolds, Ariel Sharon, Sam Simon, Jeremy Thorpe, Gough Whitlam, Lee Kuan Yew, Michael York & Jiang Zemin. 12/50

#14 DevonDeathTrip

Tractor Eater

• Moderators
  • 4,070 posts

Posted 15 January 2011 - 09:28 PM

View PostSpade_Cooley, on Dec 1 2010, 01:03 PM, said:

View PostDevonDeathTrip, on Jul 8 2010, 08:30 PM, said:

Country music legend Charlie Louvin is suffering from pancreatic cancer. :skull: :(

Some dude on Yahoo Answers says that Charlie's back to 100%

Satan Isn't Real

Not looking good for Charlie...

#15 Falkekopf

Shipman

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 386 posts

Posted 26 January 2011 - 03:57 PM

View PostDevonDeathTrip, on Jan 15 2011, 09:28 PM, said:

Country music legend Charlie Louvin is suffering from pancreatic cancer. ;) :(

Satan Isn't Real

Gone!
DDP 2012 Team - Dance On Your Grave (=111th 5/20)

DDP 2013 Team - Dance On Your Grave (=136th 4/20)

DDP 2014 Team - Dance On Your Grave

Valerie Harper - Wilko Johnson - Clive James - Carla Laemmle - Olivia De Havilland - Sam Simon - Lord Peter Carrington - Liz Dawn - Rev Billy Graham - George Blake - Peter Sallis - Nik Turner - Prince Phillip - Baron Bramall - Geoffrey Bayldon - Damaris Hayman - Dora Bryan - Cliff Michelmore - Gough Whitlam - Christopher Lee

#16 Spade_Cooley

Rich Homie Quantick

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,902 posts

Posted 26 January 2011 - 04:29 PM

Now that's a portrait:

Posted Image
"I have never killed a man, but I have read many obituaries with great pleasure." - Clarence Darrow

"Get back to task and participate, or you will come with us at the finale to dance, although there will be shocking deaths. Yoshi is coming for me." - Pikalin Soutdalany

#17 maryportfuncity

Dedicated Cumbrian Corpse Hound, or summat

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,312 posts

Posted 26 January 2011 - 04:42 PM

Louvin is another winning DDT pick on the DDP, and Dr Ann McPherson is his joker...the boy is ON FIRE this year.
Posted Image

Maryport is a disappointment for which there is no cure, but the annual Deathrace thread hereabouts provides welcome distraction.

#18 Garn2

Bomber

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 201 posts

Posted 26 January 2011 - 04:50 PM

This is a textbook example for why you should never believe a word anybody says on Yahoo Answers....
DDP 2014: Daisy Berkowitz, Colin Bloomfield, Katherine Crowe, Sally Farmiloe, Helen Fawkes, Kate Granger, Valerie Harper, Fred Ho, Sandy Jardine, Wojciech Jaruzelski, Wilko Johnson, Ritchii Kara (J), Andrew Madoff, Joe McGinniss, Mike Porcaro, Michael Schumacher, Sam Simon, Lynne Stewart, Joost van der Westhuizen

DDP 2013 (=15th), DDP 2012 (=7th), DDP 2011 (4th), DDP 2010 (=23th); Winner of Inverse Dead Pool 2011

#19 Spade_Cooley

Rich Homie Quantick

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,902 posts

Posted 26 January 2011 - 04:50 PM

View PostGarn2, on Jan 26 2011, 04:50 PM, said:

This is a textbook example for why you should never believe a word anybody says on Yahoo Answers....

Schoolboy error for me, yeah.
"I have never killed a man, but I have read many obituaries with great pleasure." - Clarence Darrow

"Get back to task and participate, or you will come with us at the finale to dance, although there will be shocking deaths. Yoshi is coming for me." - Pikalin Soutdalany

#20 harrymcnallysblueandwhitearmy

It's God shit!

• Members
  • 1,565 posts

Posted 26 January 2011 - 05:35 PM

View PostFalkekopf, on Jan 26 2011, 03:57 PM, said:

View PostDevonDeathTrip, on Jan 15 2011, 09:28 PM, said:

Country music legend Charlie Louvin is suffering from pancreatic cancer. ;) :(

Satan Isn't Real

Gone!
Sorry to see him go, but the old boy done me proud DDP captaincy-wise. A Byrdsian tribute with GP doing the honours, rather than the unranking Roger LP version.

why, you little...

Reply to this topic

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users