Photo
- - - - -

Greatest Deaths EverWho got you fizzin' at the bunghole?

• Please log in to reply
113 replies to this topic

#1 Cowboy Ronnie

Cowboy Ronnie

I Need To Get A Life!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,994 posts

Posted 30 July 2007 - 06:45 PM

There's another Diana deathopic on C5 tonight, which got me to thinking - what are the greatest ever deaths? The person probably needs to be a combination of very famous, with an unexpected, violent even, demise.

Answers on a post card please.

#2 CarolAnn

CarolAnn

What's the character limit?

• Members
  • 1,643 posts

Posted 30 July 2007 - 06:50 PM

There's another Diana deathopic on C5 tonight, which got me to thinking - what are the greatest ever deaths? The person probably needs to be a combination of very famous, with an unexpected, violent even, demise.

Vic Morrow has always been one of my favorites, apart from the children.
Whenever I feel blue, I start breathing again.

#3 Handrejka

Handrejka

Manx Minx

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,838 posts

Posted 30 July 2007 - 07:16 PM

Steve Irwin has most of those criteria covered, as does the other dead blonde who was killed in a car accident - Jayne Mansfield.

Unexpected and violent but sad Kirsty McColl. Desmond Llewellyn's death was no surprising but I didn't expect him to go in a car accident. I didn't realise that old people die in that manner more often than you'd think.

2013 Alternative 50 final total 13/50 against DL 13/50 - See about me page for more details.
2014 final total 12/50 against DL 10
2015 final total 6/50 against DL 14

2016 4/50)

1 Zza Zza Gabor, 2. Rev Billy Graham 3.Olivia de Havilland 4 Prince Phillip 5,  Kirk Douglas 6 Bumipol Auduljadej 7 Helmut Kohl 8 Peter Sallis 9 Jean Alexander 10 Walter Scheel

11 Mikhail Gorbachev 12 George Blake 13 Brian Cant 14 Patricia Hitchcock 15 Howard Marks 16 Ilse Aichinger 17 Peter Vaughan 18 Clive James 19 Fidel Castro 20 Robert Mugabe

21 Jimmy Carter 22 Caroline Aherne 23 Muhammed Ali 24 Ian Brady 25 Tony Booth 26 Martin Crowe 27 Jerry Lewis 28 Burt Reynolds 29 Valerie Harper 30 Pele 31 Geoffrey Bayldon

32 John Glenn 33Alan Young 34 Peter Sarsted 35 John Noakes 36 Bernard Fox 37 Jacques Rivette 38 Nexhmije Hoxha 39 Stepehn Hawking 40 Hywel Bennet 41Than Shwe

42 Sinead O'Connor 43 Val Kilmer 44 Mary Tyler Moore 45 Jimmy Greaves 46 Norman Lloyd 47 Lupita Tovar 48 Pat Priest 49 Sean Connery 50 Mark Eden

"Wehat shall we do with the wisswass tdonkleys?" "Throw them in the turwetts til they've diwed."

#4 DevonDeathTrip

DevonDeathTrip

Tractor Eater

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,435 posts

Posted 30 July 2007 - 07:22 PM

Going back a few years, but the mysterious hunting accident that put an end to the life of King William II in 1100 must be one the greatest deaths ever on British soil.

I suppose a comparable modern day scenario would be if The Queen's head was blown off during a pheasant shoot. B)

Things fall apartit's scientific.

#5 Lady Grendel

Lady Grendel

Assassing

• Moderators
  • 1,878 posts

Posted 30 July 2007 - 07:22 PM

John Lennon is also covered by the above criteria. Elderly Scottish actor Ian Bannen also died, like Desmond Llewellyn, in a car crash.

#6 Star Crossed

Star Crossed

Assassin

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 997 posts

Posted 30 July 2007 - 07:25 PM

Payne Stewart, watched as his chilled corpse flew miles before plummetting into the ground. NTSB Report.

or JFK, of course, courtesy of good ol' Abraham Zapruder!
A lesson from history.
Tdonkleys snakc on Cnocolate and Cumcumber
"El hombre es dueño de su silencio, pero prisionero de sus palabras" - Argentinian proverb.
"Maybe they filmed the poltergeist on a cursed children berialground without knowing it." - Vaagheid
'Patience is the support of weakness; impatience the ruin of strength'

#7 Lord Fellatio Nelson

Lord Fellatio Nelson

Follically Challenged Bastard

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,447 posts

Posted 30 July 2007 - 07:26 PM

I suppose there are quite a few of the very famous who have died prematurely.
Otis Redding and Jim Reeves ( very famous in their day) didnt find Air travel very agreeable.
One possible unexpected very famous death, with a twist, would have to be Glenn Miller who, despite folklore telling us that he is laying at the bottom of the English channel in a Light Aircraft actually met his maker in a Paris brothel.
Carol, apparently Vic Morrow died a hero, saving two children from certain death. Correct?
JFK, for me, is THE greatest ever death. I dont reckon that its trumpable.

The first to ask "Is he dead yet?" about Castro...............ignore piss poor imitators. :D Hartlepool Deadlypool 2016 list Candidates:Olivia De HavillandCarol ChanningJean AlexanderKirk DouglasPaul GascoigneDoris DayAbe VigodaCliff MichelmoreClifton JamesMichael SchumacherSubs: Sean Connery and Ronnie Corbett <p> 

#8 Star Crossed

Star Crossed

Assassin

• Members
  • 997 posts

Posted 30 July 2007 - 07:29 PM

Yes, darling, I just told them that!
A lesson from history.
Tdonkleys snakc on Cnocolate and Cumcumber
"El hombre es dueño de su silencio, pero prisionero de sus palabras" - Argentinian proverb.
"Maybe they filmed the poltergeist on a cursed children berialground without knowing it." - Vaagheid
'Patience is the support of weakness; impatience the ruin of strength'

#9 Brinsworth House Baiter

Brinsworth House Baiter

Assassin

• Members
  • 977 posts

Posted 30 July 2007 - 07:33 PM

Forget JFK, I reckon Rod Hull's topple from the roof whilst attempting to fix the aerial is the one death where everyone remembers where they were when they heard the news...

Cheers,

BHB
I am the crow king!

I can do anything!

Any Editors Out There? Gissa B-Job... www.pitcherthis.co.uk

Please.

I've just noticed the cunning moderation of my above signature. I'd like to thank the rogue moderator responsible and also add- prospective editors, please note that a B-Job would go down just as well as a proper one. Quite possibly even more so.

#10 Lord Fellatio Nelson

Lord Fellatio Nelson

• Members
  • 3,447 posts

Posted 30 July 2007 - 07:34 PM

Thats because your fingers are quicker than mine sweetie, God they are soooo nimble!!!!! B)

The first to ask "Is he dead yet?" about Castro...............ignore piss poor imitators. :D Hartlepool Deadlypool 2016 list Candidates:Olivia De HavillandCarol ChanningJean AlexanderKirk DouglasPaul GascoigneDoris DayAbe VigodaCliff MichelmoreClifton JamesMichael SchumacherSubs: Sean Connery and Ronnie Corbett <p> 

#11 welshman

welshman

Ewe spoke, we ignored

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 402 posts

Posted 30 July 2007 - 07:37 PM

Tommy Cooper, live (ahem) on stage, "just like that"

http://news.bbc.co.u...les/3625301.stm

http://news.independ...icle2521678.ece
"We have enough religion to make us hate, but not enough to make us love one another." Jonathan Swift

#12 Lord Fellatio Nelson

Lord Fellatio Nelson

• Members
  • 3,447 posts

Posted 30 July 2007 - 07:38 PM

Forget JFK, I reckon Rod Hull's topple from the roof whilst attempting to fix the aerial is the one death where everyone remembers where they were when they heard the news...

Cheers,

BHB

Yes, I was sitting at home with a cuppa and a Hobnob when I heard. I couldnt help thinking " If only he hadnt gone onto the roof with one hand still stuck up Emus arse..."

#13 Lord Fellatio Nelson

Lord Fellatio Nelson

• Members
  • 3,447 posts

Posted 30 July 2007 - 07:41 PM

Tommy Cooper, live (ahem) on stage, "just like that"

http://news.bbc.co.u...les/3625301.stm

http://news.independ...icle2521678.ece

This one I do remember.
His collapse was slow, so slow. I actually thought that he was disappearing down a trap door as part of the act.
The terrible thing about it was you could clearly hear the " Death Rattle" while the audience laughed merrily away. B)

#14 Phantom

Phantom

Saddo

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,960 posts

Posted 30 July 2007 - 07:48 PM

Sid James' death live on stage was another one. There weren't any television cameras around though

It's always funny until someone gets hurt, and then it's hilarious.

-------

A good line never dies, It just smells funny

----
Phantom's Pick 'n' Mix 4/20 - 55th

1. Joey Feek (joker), 2. Martin Crowe, 3.  Tony Booth, 4. Johan Cryuff, 5. Gordon Banks, 6. Jimmy Greaves, 7. Nancy Reagan, 8. Robert M. Pirsig, 9. Patricia Hitchcock, 10. Ian St. John, 11. Jerry Maren, 12. Peter Vaughan, 13. Ian Brady, 14. Peter Sutcliffe, 15. Jimmy Perry, 16. Daisy Berkowitz, 17. Billy Graham, 18. Jaoa Havelenge, 19. Liz Dawn, 20. Sylvia Miles

Sad Last Days (Theme Team) 1/20 - Joint 285th

1. Macaulay Culkin (Joker), 2, Zsa Zsa Gabor, 3. Sean Connory, 4. Roger Moore, 5.  Ursula Andress, 6. Kirk Douglas, 7. Angela Lansbury, 8. Mary Tyler Moore, 9. Linda Ronstadt, 10. Kenny Rogers, 11. James Caan, 12. Sophia Loren. 13.  George H.W. Bush, 14.  Doris Day, 15. Cher, 16. Jerry Lee Lewis, 17.  Nancy Reagan, 18. Burt Reynolds, 19 Muhammed Ali, 20. Bill Cosby

2016 Shadow List

4/50

Caroline Aherne, ean Alexander, Muhammed Ali, Rene Angelil, Gordon Banks,  Daisy Berkowitz, Tom "Dynamite Kid" Billington, Tony Booth, Ian Brady, George H.W Bush, Jacques Chirac, Beverly Cleary, Martin Crowe, Liz Dawn, Bob Dole, Clarissa Eden, Joey Feek, Janet Fielding, June Foray, Zsa Zsa Gabor, Gaston Glock, Billy Graham, "Superstar" Billy Graham, Jimmy Greaves, Rolf Harris, Joao Havelange, Patricia Hitchcock, Clare Hollingworth, Clive James, Helmut Kohl, Jerry Maren, Sylvia Miles, Joni Mitchell, Walter Mondale, Mary Tyler Moore, Hosni Mubarak, Robert Mugabe, Denis Norden, Jimmy Perry, Leslie Phillips, Nancy Reagan, Debbie Reynolds, Don Rickles, Sonny Rollins, Peter Sallis, Dudley Simpson, Ian St. John, Jackie Stallone, Peter Sutcliffe, Peter Vaughan.

Winner of the 2014 Wojciech Jarulzelski sweepstakes

DDP 2015 - 29th - DDP 2014 4/20 - Joint 71st , DDP 2013 11/20 - Joint 24th, DDP 2012 8/20 - Joint 47th

#15 Cowboy Ronnie

Cowboy Ronnie

I Need To Get A Life!

• Members
  • 1,994 posts

Posted 30 July 2007 - 07:52 PM

agreed with JFK, but if, for example, on September 11 the terrorists took control of Air Force One, with President GW Bush on board, and flew that into the World Trade Center, the world would be a safer place today that would arguably be a greater death.

#16 Lord Fellatio Nelson

Lord Fellatio Nelson

• Members
  • 3,447 posts

Posted 30 July 2007 - 08:04 PM

agreed with JFK, but if, for example, on September 11 the terrorists took control of Air Force One, with President GW Bush on board, and flew that into the World Trade Center, the world would be a safer place today that would arguably be a greater death.

I agree it would, but that death would be greater because of its relevence today, for this generation.
JFKs death was on the back of a cold war and a game of Russian roulette with a Nuclear weapons and the world really was on the Brink of a Nuclear war.
But, yes I agree with your scenario Cowboy.

#17 Godot

Godot

In a minute

• Members
  • 3,860 posts

Posted 30 July 2007 - 10:33 PM

Some more candidates:

Jesus of Nazareth*
The crew of Columbia
Admiral Nelson
Bonny and Clyde
Donald Campbell
Gordon of Karthoum
Adolf Hitler
William Wallace
Francis Bacon (died from pneumonia caught after inventing the first frozen chicken -chilled it with snow)

* Has to be top death, surely.

Plus tons of saints: Catherine, Peter, Sebastian and a whole lot more.
Ring down the curtain, the farce is over

#18 DevonDeathTrip

DevonDeathTrip

Tractor Eater

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,435 posts

Posted 30 July 2007 - 10:54 PM

Phil Drabble. For personal reasons.

Things fall apartit's scientific.

#19 Boleyn

Boleyn

Sniper

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 88 posts

Posted 30 July 2007 - 11:01 PM

Plus tons of saints: Catherine, Peter, Sebastian and a whole lot more.

i was going to mention how alot of the saints have had good/terrible deaths.
i can only think of catherine though, as its why "catherine wheel" fireworks are called so.

#20 Windsor

Windsor

LFN Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,465 posts

Posted 30 July 2007 - 11:23 PM

Franklin D. Roosevelt.
Well - it was great for Hitler. For all of 5 minutes...

Shadow List 2016.

Martin Crowe, Gordon Banks, Liz Smith, Glen Campbell, Abu Bakr al-Baghdadi, Peter Sallis, Winnie Ewing, Howard Marks, Ronald King, Robert Mugabe, Helmut Kohl, Arthur Scargill, Valerie Harper, Lady Saltoun of Abernethy, Lord Snowdon, Paula Tilbrook, Rev Billy Graham, Clive James, Zsa Zsa Gabor, Desmond Tutu, Denis Norden, Bhumibol Abdulyadej, Eric Lubbock, Sir Bruce Forsyth, Fidel Castro, Ray Edgar Killen, Hosni Mubarak, Dickie Bird, Muhammed Ali, Ian Brady, Bob Dole, Abdelaziz Bouteflika, George H. W. Bush, Nancy Reagan, Gay Byrne, Mohammed Al-Fayed, Henry Sandon, Sheila Sim, Dame Vera Lynn, Stuart Hall, Sir Roger Bannister, Prince Philip, Mary Wilson, Pope Benedict XVI, Stephen Hawking, Jim Bowen, Grand Duke Jean, Kirk Douglas, Murray Walker, Jimmy Carter.

2009: 13/50, 2010: 10/50, 2011: 9/50, 2012: 15/50, 2013:16/50, 2014: 10/50, 2015: 7/50, 2016: 5/50.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users