Photo
- - - - -

Greatest Deaths EverWho got you fizzin' at the bunghole?

113 replies to this topic

#1 Cowboy Ronnie

Cowboy Ronnie

I Need To Get A Life!

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,994 posts

Posted 30 July 2007 - 06:45 PM

There's another Diana deathopic on C5 tonight, which got me to thinking - what are the greatest ever deaths? The person probably needs to be a combination of very famous, with an unexpected, violent even, demise.

Answers on a post card please.

#2 CarolAnn

CarolAnn

What's the character limit?

• Members
  • 1,550 posts

Posted 30 July 2007 - 06:50 PM

There's another Diana deathopic on C5 tonight, which got me to thinking - what are the greatest ever deaths? The person probably needs to be a combination of very famous, with an unexpected, violent even, demise.

Vic Morrow has always been one of my favorites, apart from the children.
Whenever I feel blue, I start breathing again.

#3 Handrejka

Handrejka

Manx Minx

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,429 posts

Posted 30 July 2007 - 07:16 PM

Steve Irwin has most of those criteria covered, as does the other dead blonde who was killed in a car accident - Jayne Mansfield.

Unexpected and violent but sad Kirsty McColl. Desmond Llewellyn's death was no surprising but I didn't expect him to go in a car accident. I didn't realise that old people die in that manner more often than you'd think.

2013 Alternative 50 final total 13/50 against DL 13/50 - See about me page for more details.
2014 final total 12/50 against DL 10
2015 Alternative 50 (4/50)
1. Rev Billy Graham.2. Zsa Zsa Gabor 3. Prince Philipp Duke of Edinburgh 4. Sam Simon 5. Kirk Douglas 6. Fidel Castro 7. Stepehn Hawking 8. Pele 9.Lupita Tovar
10.Ron Moody 11. Jean Alexander 12. George Blake 13. Peter Sallis 14. Valerie Harper 15.Mohamed Ali 16. Brain Cant 17. Gretel Bergman 18. Pat Priest
19. Stuart Hall 20. Jaques Rivette 21. Anthony Booth 22. Nigel Lawson 23. Buzz Aldrin 24. Kenneth Anger 25. Al Molinaro 26. Clive James 27. Tamara Press 28. Izzy Young
29. Zara Nutley 30. Caroline Aherne 31. Cyril Frankel 32. Olivia de Haviland 33. Hywel Bennet 34. SugarPie De Santo 35. William Barrington-Coupe 36. Christiana F. 37. Peter Sutcliffe
38. Dave Swarbick 39. Rene Angelil 40. Vincent Bugliosi 41. Helmut Scmidt 42. Gro Harlem Brundtland 43. Christopher Wenner 44. Clare Torry 45. irving Kanarek 46. Russ Tamblyn
47. Movita Castenada. 48. Klaus Rainer Rohl 49. Desmond Tutu 50. Akinwale Arobieke

"Wehat shall we do with the wisswass tdonkleys?" "Throw them in the turwetts til they've diwed."

#4 DevonDeathTrip

DevonDeathTrip

Tractor Eater

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,221 posts

Posted 30 July 2007 - 07:22 PM

Going back a few years, but the mysterious hunting accident that put an end to the life of King William II in 1100 must be one the greatest deaths ever on British soil.

I suppose a comparable modern day scenario would be if The Queen's head was blown off during a pheasant shoot. B)

Things fall apart. It's scientific

#5 Lady Grendel

Lady Grendel

Assassing

• Moderators
  • 1,870 posts

Posted 30 July 2007 - 07:22 PM

John Lennon is also covered by the above criteria. Elderly Scottish actor Ian Bannen also died, like Desmond Llewellyn, in a car crash.

#6 Star Crossed

Star Crossed

Assassin

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 997 posts

Posted 30 July 2007 - 07:25 PM

Payne Stewart, watched as his chilled corpse flew miles before plummetting into the ground. NTSB Report.

or JFK, of course, courtesy of good ol' Abraham Zapruder!
A lesson from history.
Tdonkleys snakc on Cnocolate and Cumcumber
"El hombre es dueño de su silencio, pero prisionero de sus palabras" - Argentinian proverb.
"Maybe they filmed the poltergeist on a cursed children berialground without knowing it." - Vaagheid
'Patience is the support of weakness; impatience the ruin of strength'

#7 Lord Fellatio Nelson

Lord Fellatio Nelson

Post twunt

• Members
  • 2,397 posts

Posted 30 July 2007 - 07:26 PM

I suppose there are quite a few of the very famous who have died prematurely.
Otis Redding and Jim Reeves ( very famous in their day) didnt find Air travel very agreeable.
One possible unexpected very famous death, with a twist, would have to be Glenn Miller who, despite folklore telling us that he is laying at the bottom of the English channel in a Light Aircraft actually met his maker in a Paris brothel.
Carol, apparently Vic Morrow died a hero, saving two children from certain death. Correct?
JFK, for me, is THE greatest ever death. I dont reckon that its trumpable.

The first to ask "Is he dead yet?" about Castro...............ignore piss poor imitators. :D

2015 Hartlepool Deadly Pool Team: The Wankers Arms PH

Candidates:
Olivia De Havilland
Carol Channing
Ronnie Corbett
Kirk Douglas
Jimmy Hill
Doris Day
Abe Vigoda
Maureen O'Hara
Clifton James
Louis Jourdan

Subs: Sean Connery and Christopher Lee

#8 Star Crossed

Star Crossed

Assassin

• Members
  • 997 posts

Posted 30 July 2007 - 07:29 PM

Yes, darling, I just told them that!
A lesson from history.
Tdonkleys snakc on Cnocolate and Cumcumber
"El hombre es dueño de su silencio, pero prisionero de sus palabras" - Argentinian proverb.
"Maybe they filmed the poltergeist on a cursed children berialground without knowing it." - Vaagheid
'Patience is the support of weakness; impatience the ruin of strength'

#9 Brinsworth House Baiter

Brinsworth House Baiter

Assassin

• Members
  • 977 posts

Posted 30 July 2007 - 07:33 PM

Forget JFK, I reckon Rod Hull's topple from the roof whilst attempting to fix the aerial is the one death where everyone remembers where they were when they heard the news...

Cheers,

BHB
I am the crow king!

I can do anything!

Any Editors Out There? Gissa B-Job... www.pitcherthis.co.uk

Please.

I've just noticed the cunning moderation of my above signature. I'd like to thank the rogue moderator responsible and also add- prospective editors, please note that a B-Job would go down just as well as a proper one. Quite possibly even more so.

#10 Lord Fellatio Nelson

Lord Fellatio Nelson

Post twunt

• Members
  • 2,397 posts

Posted 30 July 2007 - 07:34 PM

Thats because your fingers are quicker than mine sweetie, God they are soooo nimble!!!!! B)

The first to ask "Is he dead yet?" about Castro...............ignore piss poor imitators. :D

Candidates:
Olivia De Havilland
Carol Channing
Ronnie Corbett
Kirk Douglas
Jimmy Hill
Doris Day
Abe Vigoda
Maureen O'Hara
Clifton James
Louis Jourdan

#11 welshman

welshman

Ewe spoke, we ignored

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 402 posts

Posted 30 July 2007 - 07:37 PM

Tommy Cooper, live (ahem) on stage, "just like that"

http://news.bbc.co.u...les/3625301.stm

http://news.independ...icle2521678.ece
"We have enough religion to make us hate, but not enough to make us love one another." Jonathan Swift

#12 Lord Fellatio Nelson

Lord Fellatio Nelson

Post twunt

• Members
  • 2,397 posts

Posted 30 July 2007 - 07:38 PM

Forget JFK, I reckon Rod Hull's topple from the roof whilst attempting to fix the aerial is the one death where everyone remembers where they were when they heard the news...

Cheers,

BHB

Yes, I was sitting at home with a cuppa and a Hobnob when I heard. I couldnt help thinking " If only he hadnt gone onto the roof with one hand still stuck up Emus arse..."

Candidates:
Olivia De Havilland
Carol Channing
Ronnie Corbett
Kirk Douglas
Jimmy Hill
Doris Day
Abe Vigoda
Maureen O'Hara
Clifton James
Louis Jourdan

#13 Lord Fellatio Nelson

Lord Fellatio Nelson

Post twunt

• Members
  • 2,397 posts

Posted 30 July 2007 - 07:41 PM

Tommy Cooper, live (ahem) on stage, "just like that"

http://news.bbc.co.u...les/3625301.stm

http://news.independ...icle2521678.ece

This one I do remember.
His collapse was slow, so slow. I actually thought that he was disappearing down a trap door as part of the act.
The terrible thing about it was you could clearly hear the " Death Rattle" while the audience laughed merrily away. B)

Candidates:
Olivia De Havilland
Carol Channing
Ronnie Corbett
Kirk Douglas
Jimmy Hill
Doris Day
Abe Vigoda
Maureen O'Hara
Clifton James
Louis Jourdan

#14 Phantom

Phantom

cadaver

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,128 posts

Posted 30 July 2007 - 07:48 PM

Sid James' death live on stage was another one. There weren't any television cameras around though

A good line never dies
It just smells funny

----
DDP 2015 - 4/20

Lauren Hilljoker.gif, Little Jimmy Dickens, Sylvia Miles, Liz Dawn, Joao Havelenge, Sam Simon, Chris Woodhead, Billy Graham, Daisy Berkowitz, Stephen Lewis, Jimmy Perry, Peter Sutcliffe, Ian Brady, Peter Vaughan, John Stephenson, Jerry Maren, Ian St. John, Patricia Hitchcock, Robert M. Pirsig, Nancy Reagan

2015 Shadow List

7/50

Jean Alexander, Muhammed Ali, Daisy Berkowitz, Tom "Dynamite Kid" Billington, Ian Brady, George H.W Bush, Jacques Chirac, Beverly Cleary, George Cole, Liz Dawn, Little Jimmy Dickens, Bob Dole, Clarissa Eden, Janet Fielding, June Foray, Zsa Zsa Gabor, Gaston Glock, Billy Graham, "Superstar" Billy Graham, Joao Havelange, Lauren Hill, Patricia Hitchcock, Clive James, B.B. King, Helmut Kohl, Stephen Lewis, Jerry Maren, Sylvia Miles, Al Molinaro, Mary Tyler Moore, Hosni Mubarak, Robert Mugabe, Les Munro, Leonard Nimoy, Denis Norden, Maureen O'Hara, Jimmy Perry, Leslie Phillips, Nancy Reagan, Don Rickles, Sonny Rollins, Peter Sallis, Helmut Schmidt, Sam Simon, Dudley Simpson, Ian St. John, Percy Sledge, Peter Sutcliffe, Peter Vaughan, Chris Woodhead

Winner of the 2014 Wojciech Jarulzelski sweepstakes

DDP 2014 4/20 - Joint 71st , DDP 2013 11/20 - Joint 24th, DDP 2012 8/20 - Joint 47th

#15 Cowboy Ronnie

Cowboy Ronnie

I Need To Get A Life!

• Moderators
  • 1,994 posts

Posted 30 July 2007 - 07:52 PM

agreed with JFK, but if, for example, on September 11 the terrorists took control of Air Force One, with President GW Bush on board, and flew that into the World Trade Center, the world would be a safer place today that would arguably be a greater death.

#16 Lord Fellatio Nelson

Lord Fellatio Nelson

Post twunt

• Members
  • 2,397 posts

Posted 30 July 2007 - 08:04 PM

agreed with JFK, but if, for example, on September 11 the terrorists took control of Air Force One, with President GW Bush on board, and flew that into the World Trade Center, the world would be a safer place today that would arguably be a greater death.

I agree it would, but that death would be greater because of its relevence today, for this generation.
JFKs death was on the back of a cold war and a game of Russian roulette with a Nuclear weapons and the world really was on the Brink of a Nuclear war.
But, yes I agree with your scenario Cowboy.

Candidates:
Olivia De Havilland
Carol Channing
Ronnie Corbett
Kirk Douglas
Jimmy Hill
Doris Day
Abe Vigoda
Maureen O'Hara
Clifton James
Louis Jourdan

#17 Godot

Godot

In a minute

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,860 posts

Posted 30 July 2007 - 10:33 PM

Some more candidates:

Jesus of Nazareth*
The crew of Columbia
Admiral Nelson
Bonny and Clyde
Donald Campbell
Gordon of Karthoum
Adolf Hitler
William Wallace
Francis Bacon (died from pneumonia caught after inventing the first frozen chicken -chilled it with snow)

* Has to be top death, surely.

Plus tons of saints: Catherine, Peter, Sebastian and a whole lot more.
Ring down the curtain, the farce is over

#18 DevonDeathTrip

DevonDeathTrip

Tractor Eater

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,221 posts

Posted 30 July 2007 - 10:54 PM

Phil Drabble. For personal reasons.

Things fall apart. It's scientific

#19 Boleyn

Boleyn

Sniper

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 88 posts

Posted 30 July 2007 - 11:01 PM

Plus tons of saints: Catherine, Peter, Sebastian and a whole lot more.

i was going to mention how alot of the saints have had good/terrible deaths.
i can only think of catherine though, as its why "catherine wheel" fireworks are called so.

#20 Windsor

Windsor

LFN Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,412 posts

Posted 30 July 2007 - 11:23 PM

Franklin D. Roosevelt.
Well - it was great for Hitler. For all of 5 minutes...

Shadow List 2015.

Sam Simon, Robert Mugabe, Bhumibol Abdulyadej, Rob Ford, Bob Dole, Muhammed Ali, Qaboos bin Sa'id, Zsa Zsa Gabor, Ian Brady, Peter Sutcliffe, Clive James, Caroline Aherne, Abdelaziz Bouteflika, George H. W. Bush, Nancy Reagan, Greville Janner, Rev Billy Graham, Henry Sandon, Sheila Sim, Desmond Tutu, Jean Alexander, Leon Brittan, Prince Philip, Sir Roger Bannister, Sir Albert McQuarrie, Mary Wilson, Pope Benedict XVI, Pope Francis, Ayatollah Ali Khamenei, Sir Christopher Lee, Stephen Hawking, Harlan Ellison, Jim Bowen, Fidel Castro, Grand Duke Jean, Kirk Douglas, Denis Healey, Valerie Harper, Ken Dodd, Sir Nicholas Winton, Jalal Talabani, Vera Lynn, Murray Walker, Lord Snowdon, Flora Fraser, Tariq Aziz, Bill Cosby, Liz Smith, Liz Dawn, Daisy Berkowitz.

2009: 13/50, 2010: 10/50, 2011: 9/50, 2012: 15/50, 2013:16/50, 2014: 10/50, 2015: 4/50 Winner of the 2010 Dustpool.

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users