And what rough beast, its hour come round at last,
Slouches towards Bethlehem to be born?

#102 charon

Looking for coin

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,853 posts

Posted 28 May 2012 - 06:43 AM

Wowsers , what a shit start to life he had.....

Johnny Tapia's life began with tragedy. His father had reportedly been murdered while his mother was pregnant with him. When he was eight years old, his mother, Virginia, was kidnapped, raped, hanged, repeatedly stabbed, and left for dead by her assailant. Tapia was awakened by her screams and saw her chained to the back of a pickup truck. He tried to alert others in his household, but no one believed him. His mother was later found by the police and taken to the hospital after she had crawled 100 yards to a road. She died four days after the attack without regaining consciousness. Raised thereafter by his grandmother, Tapia turned to boxing at the age of nine.

#103 MightyMoose

Hatchet man

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 32 posts

Posted 28 May 2012 - 12:45 PM

View Postcharon, on 28 May 2012 - 06:43 AM, said:

Johnny Tapia's life began with tragedy. His father had reportedly been murdered while his mother was pregnant with him. When he was eight years old, his mother, Virginia, was kidnapped, raped, hanged, repeatedly stabbed, and left for dead by her assailant. Tapia was awakened by her screams and saw her chained to the back of a pickup truck. He tried to alert others in his household, but no one believed him. His mother was later found by the police and taken to the hospital after she had crawled 100 yards to a road. She died four days after the attack without regaining consciousness. Raised thereafter by his grandmother, Tapia turned to boxing at the age of nine.

I believe there's a lot more to his life story than that, I have a recollection of something about a bus accident and another witness of a murder, there was talk of a book/film a few years back. Perhaps it's too grim & dirty for even Hollywood to dress up. Unlike Mickey Ward in The Fighter, this story was never going to have a (relatively) happy ending.
I'm sure I could pick 10 names for 2013:

Maggie Thatcher, Hugo Chavez, Zsa Zsa Gabor, Prince Philip, George Bush Sr, Wilfred Benitez, Blake Fielder-Civil, Steve Gleason, Kirk Douglas, Nelson Mandela.

#104 Spade_Cooley

Rich Homie Quantick

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,869 posts

Posted 28 May 2012 - 12:50 PM

View PostMightyMoose, on 28 May 2012 - 12:45 PM, said:

I believe there's a lot more to his life story than that, I have a recollection of something about a bus accident and another witness of a murder, there was talk of a book/film a few years back. Perhaps it's too grim & dirty for even Hollywood to dress up. Unlike Mickey Ward in The Fighter, this story was never going to have a (relatively) happy ending.

When he was 12 a bus he was travelling in went off road. Tapia ended up with a decapitated head in his lap as four people on the bus died.

It's just an insane life story, and it's a shame the dude wasn't able to battle his demons properly to tell it in a comfortable retirement.
"I have never killed a man, but I have read many obituaries with great pleasure." - Clarence Darrow

"Get back to task and participate, or you will come with us at the finale to dance, although there will be shocking deaths. Yoshi is coming for me." - Pikalin Soutdalany

#105 DevonDeathTrip

Tractor Eater

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,070 posts

Posted 28 May 2012 - 07:31 PM

Although he probably can't compete with Johnny Tapia in terms of sheer childhood trauma, the Irish boxer Michael Gomez also began his life unconventionally and carried on in a similar vein:

Michael Armstrong was born into an Irish Traveller family in Longford, Ireland. His mother went into labour with him while driving, so his partially sighted father took over the wheel but crashed the car into a lamp post on the way to the hospital; Michael was delivered in the back seat.

I'm sure I remember there was some discussion about making a film of his life as well.
Sometimes when we see the eyes- those horrible times when we see the eyes,eyes that ... that have no soul - then we know a darkness.

#106 Spade_Cooley

Rich Homie Quantick

• Members
  • 2,869 posts

Posted 28 May 2012 - 09:14 PM

And to round off this fantastic day for boxers, Paul Williams decided to get himself into a motorbike accident while not wearing a helmet, and may now be permanently paralysed from the neck down.
"I have never killed a man, but I have read many obituaries with great pleasure." - Clarence Darrow

"Get back to task and participate, or you will come with us at the finale to dance, although there will be shocking deaths. Yoshi is coming for me." - Pikalin Soutdalany

#107 Whitehouse

Shipman

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 424 posts

Posted 29 May 2012 - 10:26 PM

View PostSpade_Cooley, on 28 May 2012 - 12:50 PM, said:

View PostMightyMoose, on 28 May 2012 - 12:45 PM, said:

When he was 12 a bus he was travelling in went off road. Tapia ended up with a decapitated head in his lap as four people on the bus died.

It's just an insane life story, and it's a shame the dude wasn't able to battle his demons properly to tell it in a comfortable retirement.

Yaiks...

Even Chuck Norris will respect that.
My 2014 entries:

Team: Serious effort.
1) Fred Weintraub (Joker), 2) Eli Wallach, 3) Fernando Ricksen, 4) Valerie Harper, 5) Kirk Kerkorian, 6) Jim Bamber, 7) Clive James, 8) Billy Graham, 9) Marques Haynes, 10) Harry Dean Stanton, 11) Roger Bannister, 12) Richard Adams, 13) James Garner, 14) Burt Bacharach, 15) Jean Darling, 16) Alice Munro, 17) Mickey Rooney, 18) Carla Laemmle, 19) Ramón José Velásquez, 20) Bess Meyerson.

DDP Team: Serious effort Part 2.

1) Joost van der Westhuizen (Joker), 2) Michael Schumacher, 3) Vinnie Jones, 4) Michael Parkinson, 5) Brian May, 6) George H. W. Bush, 7) Barbara Bush, 8) Jimmy Carter, 9) Shane McGowan, 10) Muhammad Ali, 11) Aretha Franklin, 12) Joe Jackson (Michael's dad), 13) Jen Arnold (Little people), 14) Sharon Osborne, 15) Lynda Bellingham, 16) Wilko Johnson, 17) Sam Simon (Simpsons co-creator), 18) Sally Farmiloe, 19) Missy Elliott, 20) Larry D. Mann.

Reserve picks; Jerry Lewis, Glen Campbell, Peter Falk

Since no death was reported in this DDP list, I let it stand. Not entered in competition.
DDP team: Pass me the mike!
Joker Michael Waltrip, Michael Douglas, Michael Whitacker, Michael Caine, Michael Gambon, Michael J. Fox, Michael Keaton, Michael Schumacher, Michael Dikakis, Michael McDonald, Mick Jagger, (Michael) Duff McKagan, Michael Andretti, Michael Chiklis, Michael Madsen, Michael Jordan, Michael Bolton, Michael Bay, Michael Ballack, Mike Tyson. Reserve Pick(s): Michael Myers,Mike Oldfield, Mika brzezinski (only female here).

#108 angryGreatness

Executioner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 657 posts

Posted 12 June 2012 - 03:37 AM

Triple Gold-medal winning Cuban boxer Teofilo Stevenson has died of a heart attack, aged 60.
DDP 2014:

Better Them Than Us!:
Daisy Berkowitz, Colin Bloomfield, Katherine Crowe Posted Image, Darren Daulton, Fred DeLuca, Sally Farmiloe, Dennis "Fergie" Frederiksen, Dr. Kate Granger, Valerie Harper, Clive James, Wilko Johnson, Carolyn McCarthy Posted Image, Graeme Pollock Posted Image, Mike Porcaro, Pat Rice, Amy Robach, Robert Schuller, Stuart Scott, Sam Simon, Joost Van Der Westhuizen

Evergreen State of Decay [Theme: People born in Washington]
Paul Allen, Bob Barker, Glenn Beck Posted Image, Jerry Cantrell Posted Image, Carol Channing Posted Image, Orson Scott Card Posted Image, John Elway Posted Image, Kenny G Posted Image, Bill Gates, Ben Gibbard Posted Image. Ben Haggerty Posted Image, Donald M. Kendall Posted Image, Amanda Knox Posted Image, Gary Larson Posted Image, Ryan Lewis Posted Image, Chuck Palahniuk Posted Image, Anthony Ray Posted Image, Adam West, Jim Whittaker Posted Image, Michael Winslow Posted Image

Died in Committee [Theme: Current and former Senators]
Daniel Akaka Posted Image, Birch Bayh Posted Image, Edward Brooke Posted Image, Tom Coburn Posted Image, Ted Cruz Posted Image, Jeremiah Denton Posted Image, Bob Dole, Dianne Feinstein Posted Image, John Glenn, Orrin Hatch Posted Image, Ernest "Fritz" Hollings, Tim Johnson Posted Image, Mark Kirk Posted Image, Paul Laxalt Posted Image, John McCain, Mitch McConnell Posted Image, Walter Mondale, Harry Reid, Jay Rockefeller Posted Image, John Warner Posted Image

ShadowList 2014:
Rev. Billy Graham, General Jaruzelski, George Bush, Olivia de Havilland, Kirk Douglas, John Glenn, Luise Rainer, Christopher Lee, Nancy Reagan, Eli Wallach, Zsa Zsa Gabor, Bob Dole, Beverly Cleary, Robert Mugabe, Chuck Berry, Al Molinaro, Stan Lee, Lyndon LaRouche,
Ariel Sharon, Don Pardo, Jim Leavelle, Boutros Boutros-Ghali, Don Rickles, June Foray, Mort Walker, Paul Laxalt, I.M. Pei, Edward Brooke, Pope Benedict XVI, Alan Young, Henry Kissinger, Hiroo Onoda, Chuck Yeager, Dr. Henry Heimlich, George Shultz, Vera Lynn, Mickey Rooney, Fidel Castro, Noel Neill, Jimmy Carter, Ben Bradlee, Mary Tyler Moore, Jack T. Chick, Jerry Lewis, Jake LaMotta, King Abdullah bin Abdul-Aziz, Helmut Schmidt, Harper Lee, Gloria Vanderbilt, Abe Vigoda

#109 Spade_Cooley

Rich Homie Quantick

• Members
  • 2,869 posts

Posted 03 July 2012 - 06:37 AM

Current DDP pick Michael Dokes is in "the final rounds" of his battle against liver cancer.

#110 Spade_Cooley

Rich Homie Quantick

• Members
  • 2,869 posts

Posted 25 July 2012 - 06:35 PM

View PostSpade_Cooley, on 03 July 2012 - 06:37 AM, said:

Current DDP pick Michael Dokes is in "the final rounds" of his battle against liver cancer.

Boxing forums saying it's a case of days not months now for the crazy rapist.

#111 maryportfuncity

Dedicated Cumbrian Corpse Hound, or summat

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,246 posts

Posted 26 July 2012 - 04:01 PM

View PostSpade_Cooley, on 25 July 2012 - 06:35 PM, said:

What, is Mike Tyson dying?!
Posted Image

Maryport is a disappointment for which there is no cure, but the annual Deathrace thread hereabouts provides welcome distraction.

#112 Whitehouse

Shipman

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 424 posts

Posted 26 July 2012 - 04:07 PM

View PostDevonDeathTrip, on 28 May 2012 - 07:31 PM, said:

Although he probably can't compete with Johnny Tapia in terms of sheer childhood trauma, the Irish boxer Michael Gomez also began his life unconventionally and carried on in a similar vein:

Michael Armstrong was born into an Irish Traveller family in Longford, Ireland. His mother went into labour with him while driving, so his partially sighted father took over the wheel but crashed the car into a lamp post on the way to the hospital; Michael was delivered in the back seat.

I'm sure I remember there was some discussion about making a film of his life as well.

Can't be much worse than born Irish....
My 2014 entries:

Team: Serious effort.
1) Fred Weintraub (Joker), 2) Eli Wallach, 3) Fernando Ricksen, 4) Valerie Harper, 5) Kirk Kerkorian, 6) Jim Bamber, 7) Clive James, 8) Billy Graham, 9) Marques Haynes, 10) Harry Dean Stanton, 11) Roger Bannister, 12) Richard Adams, 13) James Garner, 14) Burt Bacharach, 15) Jean Darling, 16) Alice Munro, 17) Mickey Rooney, 18) Carla Laemmle, 19) Ramón José Velásquez, 20) Bess Meyerson.

DDP Team: Serious effort Part 2.

1) Joost van der Westhuizen (Joker), 2) Michael Schumacher, 3) Vinnie Jones, 4) Michael Parkinson, 5) Brian May, 6) George H. W. Bush, 7) Barbara Bush, 8) Jimmy Carter, 9) Shane McGowan, 10) Muhammad Ali, 11) Aretha Franklin, 12) Joe Jackson (Michael's dad), 13) Jen Arnold (Little people), 14) Sharon Osborne, 15) Lynda Bellingham, 16) Wilko Johnson, 17) Sam Simon (Simpsons co-creator), 18) Sally Farmiloe, 19) Missy Elliott, 20) Larry D. Mann.

Reserve picks; Jerry Lewis, Glen Campbell, Peter Falk

Since no death was reported in this DDP list, I let it stand. Not entered in competition.
DDP team: Pass me the mike!
Joker Michael Waltrip, Michael Douglas, Michael Whitacker, Michael Caine, Michael Gambon, Michael J. Fox, Michael Keaton, Michael Schumacher, Michael Dikakis, Michael McDonald, Mick Jagger, (Michael) Duff McKagan, Michael Andretti, Michael Chiklis, Michael Madsen, Michael Jordan, Michael Bolton, Michael Bay, Michael Ballack, Mike Tyson. Reserve Pick(s): Michael Myers,Mike Oldfield, Mika brzezinski (only female here).

#113 Spade_Cooley

Rich Homie Quantick

• Members
  • 2,869 posts

Posted 12 August 2012 - 06:30 PM

View PostSpade_Cooley, on 25 July 2012 - 06:35 PM, said:

18 days to precise. One day too early for a 13th bonus, two days two late for a birthday bonus. A scumbag until his last breath.

(updated with DDP-relevant obit)

#114 angryGreatness

Executioner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 657 posts

Posted 12 August 2012 - 08:31 PM

Sid Waddell & Michael Dokes:

-Both involved in the world of sport
-Both died of cancer
-Both born on August 10th
-Both died on August 11th
-Both were on my shortlist for 2013.
-Both served 9 years in prison for beating their fiancee.

Spooky
DDP 2014:

Better Them Than Us!:
Daisy Berkowitz, Colin Bloomfield, Katherine Crowe Posted Image, Darren Daulton, Fred DeLuca, Sally Farmiloe, Dennis "Fergie" Frederiksen, Dr. Kate Granger, Valerie Harper, Clive James, Wilko Johnson, Carolyn McCarthy Posted Image, Graeme Pollock Posted Image, Mike Porcaro, Pat Rice, Amy Robach, Robert Schuller, Stuart Scott, Sam Simon, Joost Van Der Westhuizen

Evergreen State of Decay [Theme: People born in Washington]
Paul Allen, Bob Barker, Glenn Beck Posted Image, Jerry Cantrell Posted Image, Carol Channing Posted Image, Orson Scott Card Posted Image, John Elway Posted Image, Kenny G Posted Image, Bill Gates, Ben Gibbard Posted Image. Ben Haggerty Posted Image, Donald M. Kendall Posted Image, Amanda Knox Posted Image, Gary Larson Posted Image, Ryan Lewis Posted Image, Chuck Palahniuk Posted Image, Anthony Ray Posted Image, Adam West, Jim Whittaker Posted Image, Michael Winslow Posted Image

Died in Committee [Theme: Current and former Senators]
Daniel Akaka Posted Image, Birch Bayh Posted Image, Edward Brooke Posted Image, Tom Coburn Posted Image, Ted Cruz Posted Image, Jeremiah Denton Posted Image, Bob Dole, Dianne Feinstein Posted Image, John Glenn, Orrin Hatch Posted Image, Ernest "Fritz" Hollings, Tim Johnson Posted Image, Mark Kirk Posted Image, Paul Laxalt Posted Image, John McCain, Mitch McConnell Posted Image, Walter Mondale, Harry Reid, Jay Rockefeller Posted Image, John Warner Posted Image

ShadowList 2014:
Rev. Billy Graham, General Jaruzelski, George Bush, Olivia de Havilland, Kirk Douglas, John Glenn, Luise Rainer, Christopher Lee, Nancy Reagan, Eli Wallach, Zsa Zsa Gabor, Bob Dole, Beverly Cleary, Robert Mugabe, Chuck Berry, Al Molinaro, Stan Lee, Lyndon LaRouche,
Ariel Sharon, Don Pardo, Jim Leavelle, Boutros Boutros-Ghali, Don Rickles, June Foray, Mort Walker, Paul Laxalt, I.M. Pei, Edward Brooke, Pope Benedict XVI, Alan Young, Henry Kissinger, Hiroo Onoda, Chuck Yeager, Dr. Henry Heimlich, George Shultz, Vera Lynn, Mickey Rooney, Fidel Castro, Noel Neill, Jimmy Carter, Ben Bradlee, Mary Tyler Moore, Jack T. Chick, Jerry Lewis, Jake LaMotta, King Abdullah bin Abdul-Aziz, Helmut Schmidt, Harper Lee, Gloria Vanderbilt, Abe Vigoda

#115 Spade_Cooley

Rich Homie Quantick

• Members
  • 2,869 posts

Posted 12 August 2012 - 08:36 PM

Michael Dokes was also a producer on "Indoor League". Big shove ha'penny fan.

#116 charon

Looking for coin

• Members
  • 1,853 posts

Posted 31 August 2012 - 07:08 PM

Joe Lewis @ 68 , karate dude and kickboxer (so goes in boxing thread???). http://www.allvoices...ewis-died-today

Thanks to him falling out with Bruce Lee, Chuck Norris got his break as the villian in Way of the Dragon............

#117 Spade_Cooley

Rich Homie Quantick

• Members
  • 2,869 posts

Posted 14 September 2012 - 02:22 PM

Former WBA Inter-Continental Light Middleweight champ Shaun "The Guvnor" Cummins found murdered at his home.

#118 the_engineer

The Alpha & The Omega

• Members
  • 1,530 posts

Posted 14 September 2012 - 08:57 PM

View PostWhitehouse, on 26 July 2012 - 04:07 PM, said:

I'd watch that movie .

Hey what you got against Irish people part of my family is Irish , don't you know where the best singers , best looking and best tarmac layers in the world. Just think if the potato famine never happened and many Irish didn't emigrate to UK ans USA and every other fookin country in the world Ireland would of won the world cup,topped the Olympics table,all those great and famous businesses started in america by Irish immigrants would of been famous Irish Brands etc etc . :)

Ireland could of ruled the world ahh c'est la vie . :D :P
I don't believe in coincidences

Basketball was invented in 1987 by konami.

A Man who never eats pork buns is never a whole man .

genesis 22 16 - 18

DDP 2014 - Sovereign-Reaper

wilko johnsonPosted Image , joost van der westhuizen ,George h.w bush , sam simon , valerie harper , Kate Granger , Katherine Crowe, wojcech jaruzelski ,Sally Farmiloe , Clive James , Billy Graham , Tony Benn , Zsa Zsa Gabor , Vera lynn , Kirk Douglas , Saif Gaddafi , Superstar Billy Graham ,Stuart Hall , Fats Domino ,Isabel Peron.

Hartlepool Deadlypool 2014

Billy Graham
Wojcech Jaruzelski
Wilko Johnson
Sam Simon
Joost Van Der Westhuizen
Valerie Harper
Kate Granger

Sally Farmiloe
Katherine Crowe
Clive James

subs 1) George H.W Bush 2) Rolf Harris

#119 JR976evil

I Need To Get A Life!

• Members
  • 1,560 posts

Posted 15 September 2012 - 03:45 AM

View Postthe_engineer, on 14 September 2012 - 08:57 PM, said:

View PostWhitehouse, on 26 July 2012 - 04:07 PM, said:

I'd watch that movie .

Hey what you got against Irish people part of my family is Irish , don't you know where the best singers , best looking and best tarmac layers in the world. Just think if the potato famine never happened and many Irish didn't emigrate to UK ans USA and every other fookin country in the world Ireland would of won the world cup,topped the Olympics table,all those great and famous businesses started in america by Irish immigrants would of been famous Irish Brands etc etc . :)

Ireland could of ruled the world ahh c'est la vie . :D :P

Yeah, but they gave us Bono as well :P

#120 Grande Pablo

Shipman

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 466 posts

Posted 17 September 2012 - 11:38 AM

Ex-WBA champion Shaun Cummins dead http://news.boxrec.c...r-shaun-cummins

Other sites suggests parts of his body were found in his feezer!
DDP 2012 Morbid Midlands XX - 1/20 (Anthony Bate) =430th - 9 points

DDP 2013 Cannock Killing Club - 0/20 =531st - 0 points

DDP 2014 M6 Toll(ed) - 1/20
Tommy Mundon - Joker (d 21.07.14), Edward Clayton, Tom Coyne, Ed Doolan, Sir Doug Ellis, Jean Harvey (d 14.11.13 - bugger...), Anne Heywood, Vince Hill, Don Howe, Ace Kefford, Don Maclean, Brian Matthew, Peter McEnery, Valarie Minifie, Raymond Morris (d 11.03.14), Anna Quayle, Murray Walker, Billie Whitelaw, Leila Williams, Frank Windsor.

Reply to this topic

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users