Boxing Clever? On the ropes or out for the count

211 replies to this topic

#81 Banshees Scream

Dwarf tosser

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,429 posts

Posted 02 February 2012 - 04:38 AM

Angelo Dundee is no longer in the corner at the age of 90.

He trained Muhammad Ali folks.

#82 angryGreatness

Executioner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 657 posts

Posted 02 February 2012 - 04:44 AM

View PostBanshees Scream, on 02 February 2012 - 04:38 AM, said:

Could this be the Johnny Otis to Muhammad Ali's Etta James?
DDP 2014:

Better Them Than Us!:
Daisy Berkowitz, Colin Bloomfield, Katherine Crowe Posted Image, Darren Daulton, Fred DeLuca, Sally Farmiloe, Dennis "Fergie" Frederiksen, Dr. Kate Granger, Valerie Harper, Clive James, Wilko Johnson, Carolyn McCarthy Posted Image, Graeme Pollock Posted Image, Mike Porcaro, Pat Rice, Amy Robach, Robert Schuller, Stuart Scott, Sam Simon, Joost Van Der Westhuizen

Evergreen State of Decay [Theme: People born in Washington]
Paul Allen, Bob Barker, Glenn Beck Posted Image, Jerry Cantrell Posted Image, Carol Channing Posted Image, Orson Scott Card Posted Image, John Elway Posted Image, Kenny G Posted Image, Bill Gates, Ben Gibbard Posted Image. Ben Haggerty Posted Image, Donald M. Kendall Posted Image, Amanda Knox Posted Image, Gary Larson Posted Image, Ryan Lewis Posted Image, Chuck Palahniuk Posted Image, Anthony Ray Posted Image, Adam West, Jim Whittaker Posted Image, Michael Winslow Posted Image

Died in Committee [Theme: Current and former Senators]
Daniel Akaka Posted Image, Birch Bayh Posted Image, Edward Brooke Posted Image, Tom Coburn Posted Image, Ted Cruz Posted Image, Jeremiah Denton Posted Image, Bob Dole, Dianne Feinstein Posted Image, John Glenn, Orrin Hatch Posted Image, Ernest "Fritz" Hollings, Tim Johnson Posted Image, Mark Kirk Posted Image, Paul Laxalt Posted Image, John McCain, Mitch McConnell Posted Image, Walter Mondale, Harry Reid, Jay Rockefeller Posted Image, John Warner Posted Image

ShadowList 2014:
Rev. Billy Graham, General Jaruzelski, George Bush, Olivia de Havilland, Kirk Douglas, John Glenn, Luise Rainer, Christopher Lee, Nancy Reagan, Eli Wallach, Zsa Zsa Gabor, Bob Dole, Beverly Cleary, Robert Mugabe, Chuck Berry, Al Molinaro, Stan Lee, Lyndon LaRouche,
Ariel Sharon, Don Pardo, Jim Leavelle, Boutros Boutros-Ghali, Don Rickles, June Foray, Mort Walker, Paul Laxalt, I.M. Pei, Edward Brooke, Pope Benedict XVI, Alan Young, Henry Kissinger, Hiroo Onoda, Chuck Yeager, Dr. Henry Heimlich, George Shultz, Vera Lynn, Mickey Rooney, Fidel Castro, Noel Neill, Jimmy Carter, Ben Bradlee, Mary Tyler Moore, Jack T. Chick, Jerry Lewis, Jake LaMotta, King Abdullah bin Abdul-Aziz, Helmut Schmidt, Harper Lee, Gloria Vanderbilt, Abe Vigoda

#83 Damon Killian

You b*****d! Drop dead!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,250 posts

Posted 02 February 2012 - 01:21 PM

He was so close to being on my DDP to

Damn
We Are The 45%

#84 Guest_Guest_*

• Guests

Posted 03 February 2012 - 07:57 AM

View PostangryGreatness, on 02 February 2012 - 04:44 AM, said:

Could this be the Johnny Otis to Muhammad Ali's Etta James?

Muhammad Ali did look very weak at his birthday party.He could go any time

#85 sympathyforthedevil

Shipman

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 489 posts

Posted 19 February 2012 - 03:20 PM

Will Dereck Chisora and/or David Haye end up dead in a brawl or gunfight?

http://www.bbc.co.uk...boxing/17088619

One can only hope so...

#86 Spade_Cooley

Rich Homie Quantick

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,835 posts

Posted 20 February 2012 - 01:41 PM

Chisora manages to be an embarassment in the morally and culturally bankrupt world of heavyweight boxing. That's an achievement.

Bring back Andrew Golota.
"I have never killed a man, but I have read many obituaries with great pleasure." - Clarence Darrow

"Get back to task and participate, or you will come with us at the finale to dance, although there will be shocking deaths. Yoshi is coming for me." - Pikalin Soutdalany

#87 maryportfuncity

Dedicated Cumbrian Corpse Hound, or summat

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,124 posts

Posted 20 February 2012 - 02:52 PM

Given our lack of heavyweight talent other than these two (despite his appauling failings as a human being Chisora boxed admirably over the weekend), whaddya reckon to them getting a lengthy (9 month) ban and then facing each other in the ring for decent pay-per-view sums considering they're a pair of average British heavyweights, before the year is out?
Posted Image

Maryport is a disappointment for which there is no cure, but the annual Deathrace thread hereabouts provides welcome distraction.

#88 Damon Killian

You b*****d! Drop dead!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,250 posts

Posted 20 February 2012 - 05:12 PM

View Postmaryportfuncity, on 20 February 2012 - 02:52 PM, said:

Given our lack of heavyweight talent other than these two (despite his appauling failings as a human being Chisora boxed admirably over the weekend), whaddya reckon to them getting a lengthy (9 month) ban and then facing each other in the ring for decent pay-per-view sums considering they're a pair of average British heavyweights, before the year is out?

BBC site saying the two of them could go to jail over the incident

http://www.bbc.co.uk...boxing/17088619
We Are The 45%

#89 Spade_Cooley

Rich Homie Quantick

• Members
  • 2,835 posts

Posted 24 February 2012 - 01:38 PM

See, why bother going to all that rigmarole of "research" and "setting up google alerts" and "reading the newspapers" to find out the health of your DDP picks when you can just ask people on Twitter?

Posted Image Dom@ichlugebullets
@bigdaddybunce Have you got an update on Mickey Duff's health? I heard he was on his last legs over Christmas...

Posted Image Steve Bunce@bigdaddybunce
@ichlugebullets I'm on it. Thanks. Adios.

Hide conversation

1:34 PM - 24 Feb 12 via Twitter for iPad · Details
"I have never killed a man, but I have read many obituaries with great pleasure." - Clarence Darrow

"Get back to task and participate, or you will come with us at the finale to dance, although there will be shocking deaths. Yoshi is coming for me." - Pikalin Soutdalany

#90 maryportfuncity

• Members
  • 11,124 posts

Posted 10 March 2012 - 08:29 PM

Heard today that Dave Charnley - aka The Dartford Destroyer - died earlier in the month,aged 76. Fierce lightweight who still holds a record because his 1962 destruction of Darkie Hughes in a British title fight is still the shortest lightweight title fight in UK history. 40 seconds, including the count!
Posted Image

Maryport is a disappointment for which there is no cure, but the annual Deathrace thread hereabouts provides welcome distraction.

#91 DevonDeathTrip

Tractor Eater

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,070 posts

Posted 25 March 2012 - 10:18 PM

Legendary boxing journalist and historian Bert Sugar has died of lung cancer at the age of 74.
Sometimes when we see the eyes- those horrible times when we see the eyes,eyes that ... that have no soul - then we know a darkness.

#92 Spade_Cooley

Rich Homie Quantick

• Members
  • 2,835 posts

Posted 25 March 2012 - 10:30 PM

View PostDevonDeathTrip, on 25 March 2012 - 10:18 PM, said:

Legendary boxing journalist and historian Bert Sugar has died of lung cancer at the age of 74.

That feeling when looking at The Living End's 2012 line-up:

Posted Image

#93 Phantom

uber twunt

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,332 posts

Posted 25 March 2012 - 10:33 PM

View PostDevonDeathTrip, on 25 March 2012 - 10:18 PM, said:

I almost regretted picking him for my draft pool when i read his cancer was supposed to be in remission.
He had been quite active with writing lots of articles the past couple of months

A good line never dies
It just smells funny

----

Winner of the 2014 Wojciech Jarulzelski sweepstakes

DDP 2014 3/20
Jim Bamber , Ryan Buell, Katherine Crowe Posted Image, Liz Dawn, Ruth Duccini, Janet Fielding, Zsa Zsa Gabor , Billy Graham,"Superstar" Billy Graham, Rolf Harris, Joao Havelange, Bobby Heenan, Wojciech Jarulzelski, Wilko Johnson, Stephen Lewis, Jerry Maren, Les Munro, Sonny Rollins, Sam Simon, Gough Whitlam

DDP 2012 8/20 - Joint 47th

DDP 2013 11/20 - Joint 24th

#94 Guest_Tarquin Warthog-Jones_*

• Guests

Posted 26 March 2012 - 09:59 AM

UK obituary for Bert Sugar:

http://www.dailymail...r.html?ITO=1490

#95 themaninblack

Pun Plunderer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,175 posts

Posted 26 March 2012 - 10:51 AM

It's taken 86 days (unofficially) for The Living End to regain the lead...
"I must have killed more men than Cecil B. DeMille."

Gene Wilder as "the Waco Kid", Blazing Saddles (1974)

#96 Grande Pablo

Shipman

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 454 posts

Posted 04 April 2012 - 09:04 PM

Indonesian boxer Muhammad Afrizal

http://uk.eurosport....in-surgery.html
DDP 2012 Morbid Midlands XX - 1/20 (Anthony Bate) =430th - 9 points

DDP 2013 Cannock Killing Club - 0/20 =531st - 0 points

DDP 2014 M6 Toll(ed) - 1/20
Tommy Mundon - Joker (d 21.07.14), Edward Clayton, Tom Coyne, Ed Doolan, Sir Doug Ellis, Jean Harvey (d 14.11.13 - bugger...), Anne Heywood, Vince Hill, Don Howe, Ace Kefford, Don Maclean, Brian Matthew, Peter McEnery, Valarie Minifie, Raymond Morris (d 11.03.14), Anna Quayle, Murray Walker, Billie Whitelaw, Leila Williams, Frank Windsor.

#97 Spade_Cooley

Rich Homie Quantick

• Members
  • 2,835 posts

Posted 26 April 2012 - 08:19 PM

1956 flyweight Olympic gold medallist and latter British national champion Terry Spinks has died aged 74.

#98 maryportfuncity

• Members
  • 11,124 posts

Posted 01 May 2012 - 03:13 PM

Did anyone else see the healthy and (fairly) sane Frank Bruno being given Piers Morgan's shallow as a spoonful of spunk in depth treatment a couple of weeks back? Either way, suicide or reckeless self-endangerment via drugs and fast living seem well off the Bruno agenda at the moment.
Posted Image

#99 adrian0719

Executioner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 536 posts

Posted 28 May 2012 - 04:06 AM

Boxer Johnny Tapia has been found dead in his home, aged 45
DDP: I will not die, it's the world that will end!: Sam Simon, Michael Schumacher, Sandy Jardine, Wilko Johnson, Candye Kane, Ryan Glenny, Lynne Stewart, Joost van der Westhuizen, Daisy Berkowitz, Clive James, Rev. Billy Graham, Casey Kasem, Mike Porcaro, Darren Daulton, Wubbo Ockels, Mike Burney, Sally Farmiloe, Pat Rice, Valerie Harper, David Norris

DDP Theme Team: The British (D)i(e)sles:
Katherine Crowe, Mary Wilson, Doug Ellis, Maureen O’Hara, Peter Maxwell Davies, Albert Reynolds, Tony Benn, John Bardon, Chris Woodhead, James Alexander Gordon, Liz Dawn, Peter Carrington, Jimmy Hill, Ethel Lang, Henry McCullough, Penny Calvert, Prince Philip, Christopher Lee, Ian Paisley, Murray Walker

Shadow:
Jay Lake, Alby Schultz, Abdullah bin Abdul-Aziz Al Saud, Little Jimmy Dickens, Wojciech Jaruzelski, Chespirito, June Foray, Dawn Sears, Kate Bornstein, Frances Oldham Kelly, Kim Kyong-hui, Bunny Mellon, Ellen Albertini Dow, Bob Dole, Hutton Gibson, Joao Havelange, Carlo Azeglio Ciampi, Ramon Jose Velasquez, Carman, Dora Bryan, Noel Neill, Abdul Sattar Edhil, Alicia Alonso, Kirk Douglas, Misao Okawa, Joan Kirner, Nancy Reagan, Raymond Gravel, Robert Schuller, Olivia de Havilland, Bess Myerson, Norman Lear, Zsa Zsa Gabor, Fidel Castro, Nuon Chea, Raul H. Castro, Mario Oriano-Ambrosini, Akkineni Nageswara Rao, George H.W. Bush, Joe Lala, Dean Bailey, Margherita Marchione, Robert Mugabe, Ieng Thirith, Don Rickles, Adolfo Suarez, Ariel Sharon, Gough Whitlam, Superstar Billy Graham

#100 Spade_Cooley

Rich Homie Quantick

• Members
  • 2,835 posts

Posted 28 May 2012 - 06:23 AM

Mi Muerte Loca

Reply to this topic

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users