26. PD James Author

37 replies to this topic

#1 faustus

Sniper

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 143 posts

Posted 03 August 2004 - 03:45 PM

mmm...84 today and an excellent writer to boot...Probably in the best of health, but you never know...Could be a good one for 2005.....What does everyone else think...?
FAUSTUS

#2 Guest_Guest_*

• Guests

Posted 17 June 2006 - 07:04 PM

i nkew someome called pg jaems once

#3 BrunoBrimley

I REALLY Need To Get A Life!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,330 posts

Posted 17 June 2006 - 09:56 PM

View PostGuest, on Jun 17 2006, 07:04 PM, said:

i nkew someome called pg jaems once
Really? And that effects us in what way Guesty? And why are you typing the way I did when I was inebriated?

#4 Brinsworth House Baiter

Assassin

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 977 posts

Posted 22 June 2006 - 07:59 AM

Baroness? PD James is a woman? You know, I never realised that, but then I've haven't read any of her books. I was aware of the tv adaptations etc. but somehow always assumed PD James to be a middle to old aged ex-forces type living in Devon, as against a little white haired old lady.

I feel like an ignorant berk who's just had his day enlightened.
I am the crow king!

I can do anything!

Any Editors Out There? Gissa B-Job... www.pitcherthis.co.uk

Please.

I've just noticed the cunning moderation of my above signature. I'd like to thank the rogue moderator responsible and also add- prospective editors, please note that a B-Job would go down just as well as a proper one. Quite possibly even more so.

#5 Six

Shipman

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 482 posts

Posted 22 June 2006 - 08:20 AM

You and me both, BHB. :banghead:

#6 Octopus of Odstock

Post twunt

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,832 posts

Posted 01 January 2012 - 11:55 AM

Interesting pick. No updates to her thread for 5 and a half-years and one of those posts is to say she's in good health, two to say they thought she was a man and two to say that they knew someone similiarly named. So, it looks like she has been picked for age reasons only, I guess.

Based on all the above evidence, I now fully expect her to be the first hit.

#7 Spade_Cooley

Rich Homie Quantick

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,899 posts

Posted 01 January 2012 - 01:16 PM

I think this was based on my suggestion. I thought she was a man for ages as well. Plus she's a Tory peer, so fuck her.
"I have never killed a man, but I have read many obituaries with great pleasure." - Clarence Darrow

"Get back to task and participate, or you will come with us at the finale to dance, although there will be shocking deaths. Yoshi is coming for me." - Pikalin Soutdalany

#8 msc

Shipman

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 482 posts

Posted 01 January 2012 - 02:47 PM

View PostOctopus of Odstock, on 01 January 2012 - 11:55 AM, said:

Interesting pick. No updates to her thread for 5 and a half-years and one of those posts is to say she's in good health, two to say they thought she was a man and two to say that they knew someone similiarly named. So, it looks like she has been picked for age reasons only, I guess.

View PostOctopus of Odstock, on 01 January 2012 - 11:55 AM, said:

She gave an interview to the Guardian in November.

Disinclined, at 90, to begin another Dalgliesh novel, on the grounds that to die leaving a manuscript unfinished would be "intolerable", she chose instead to pursue a long-cherished, if surprising, ambition.

Now she could just being practical, but that bit certainly suggests she doesn't expect to be around long enough to finish another book, however long that may be. Going off the science of a Wikipedia page, it takes about three years for her to write a book, and she was fixing this one up instead...

There's a lot of lines to read between there.
2014 Pan Breed DDP – S Simon (joker), S Farmiloe, W Johnson, C Kasem, V Harper, G Cole, G Garcia Marquez, P Rice, J Hill, L Dawn, A Briggs, J vd Westhuizen, C Woodhead, C Moncrieff, T Benn, R Buell, I Watkins, H Fawkes, A Reynolds, J McGinniss

Other pools – J McVie, P Worsthorne, V Campbell, S Caesar, L Rainer, R Mugabe, P Wyngarde, K Douglas, G Whitlam, S Hall, A Franklin, R Attenborough, GHW Bush, H Kissinger, E Wallach, B Reynolds, J Garner, N Reagan, H Kessler, G Saks, L Ferlinghetti, O Chadwick, R Asherson, K Ollerenshaw, F Phelps, W Jaruzelski, G Amorth, H McCullough, F Dyson, C Pincher, O Pooley, C Townes, D Slocombe, A Hiller, F Bough, RR Shaw, A Imich, C Hollingworth, S Gall, Ghiggia, C Irving, FGD Jean, H Gregg, F Domino, B Kerr, P MacNee, C Yeager, R Suart, P Maxwell Davies, J Havelange, J de Cuellar, P Dimmock, G Ure, C Mitchelmore, J Nott, H Wouk, J Freeman, M Wilson, T Docherty, P Fox, G Howe, L Cosgrave, N Lawson, B Clemens, K Evren, RK Murray, M Soares, P Vaughan, R Baker, P Lally, L Smith, A Suarez, P Robbins, I Kanarek, IM Pei, ER Killen, J Ramsey, P de Jong, A Rhett, V Gagne. = combined 19/100

2013: 28/100
2012: 25/100
Shadow Deathlist 2011- 10/50

#9 Guest_Guest_*

• Guests

Posted 02 January 2012 - 12:03 PM

i'm pretty sure p.d. james is in rude health, for her age... (went to an event after she published her book last year)

#10 Toast

Sanctuary Seller

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,842 posts

Posted 02 January 2012 - 12:36 PM

No one goes on for ever, though. (Apart from Clive, of course.)
DDP teams:
If I'm Spared Myself, Of Course
Toast of the Turf
Nearer My God To Thee

#11 Bibliogryphon

I Need To Get A Life!

• Members
  • 1,996 posts

Posted 07 January 2013 - 12:29 PM

This is the other pick I am not sure of (alongside Nicolas Parsons) whenever I see her she looks alert but considering we have never got over 20 I am not going to begrudge a few -"well they might" picks.

Most of my players don't understand the difference between probaility and wishful thinking.
"I appear to have bypassed my good taste chip"

2014 DDP Teams:

Bibliogryphon's Bookworm Food (Theme Team) 5/20
I Can't Believe They're Not Deader 4/20
Unusual Suspects 2/20

#12 Death Impends

Post-Twunt

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,105 posts

Posted 07 January 2013 - 07:05 PM

View PostBibliogryphon, on 07 January 2013 - 12:29 PM, said:

This is the other pick I am not sure of (alongside Nicolas Parsons) whenever I see her she looks alert but considering we have never got over 20 I am not going to begrudge a few -"well they might" picks.

Most of my players don't understand the difference between probaility and wishful thinking.

And plus having a few old-but-healthy people on gives a few safe choices for removal come next year
DDP Team - Thomas Jefferson Survives (2014 - 7/20 - Evans, Crowe, Ockels, Jaruzelski, Kasem, Farmiloe, Madoff) (2013 - 11/20, 4th place)

Personal 50: Billy Graham, Wojciech Jaruzelski, Sam Simon, Valerie Harper, Clive James, Wilko Johnson, Casey Kasem, Luise Rainer, Gough Whitlam, Zsa Zsa Gabor, Kirk Douglas, Olivia de Havilland, Eli Wallach, Superstar Billy Graham, Fidel Castro, Pope Benedict XVI, Prince Philip, George H.W. Bush, Albert Reynolds, Werner Franz, June Foray, Janet Waldo, George S. Irving, Henry Heimlich, Ingvar Kamprad, Bob Dole, Al Molinaro, Richard Attenborough, Nancy Reagan, King Abdullah, Helmut Kohl, Gunter Grass, Robert Mugabe, Fred Phelps, Jack Chick, John Glenn, Christopher Lee, Maureen O'Hara, Monty Hall, Bob Barker, James D. Watson, Mikhail Gorbachev, Muhammad Ali, Gershon Kingsley, Aaron Shikler, Lauren Bacall, Sid Caesar, Mickey Rooney, Stephen Hawking, Abe Vigoda (14/50 last year)

#13 wildstorm

Crazy Canuck

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 300 posts

Posted 20 April 2013 - 05:10 PM

A passage in this article says she didn't attend Thatcher's funeral because of "ill health"

Actually, here's the full excerpt (to save you guys the time of looking through the lengthy article):

"The crime novelist was invited to St Paul’s, but declined due to ill health and instead paid her respects at the Chapel of St Mary Undercroft on Tuesday night."
2014 Deathlist (My Nifty Fifty):
ZsaZsa Gabor, Wilko Johnson, Robert Schuller, Peter Robbins, Casey Kasem, Sam Simon, ‘Superstar’ Billy Graham, Valerie Harper, Prince Philip, Richard Attenborough, Michael Schumacher, Mike Porcaro, Nancy Reagan, Muhammad Ali, Ingvar Kamprad, Joseph Kony, Brian May, John McVie, Scott Putesky, Don Pardo, Rev. Billy Graham, Farley Mowat, Stephen Hawking, John Prine, George H.W. Bush, Herman Wouk, Robert Mugabe, Fidel Castro, Luise Rainer, Jack Ramsay, Julie Chang, Gabriel Garcia Marquez, Jerry Lewis, Barbara Bush, John Glen, Harper Lee, Randy Travis, Fred DeLuca, Pete Way, Beverly Cleary, Gene Wilder, Dr. Henry Heimlich, Bob Barker, Amanda Bynes, Jacques Chirac, General Jaruzelski, Al Molinaro, Don Imus, Keith Richards, Pope Benedict XVI

#14 Toast

Sanctuary Seller

• Members
  • 1,842 posts

Posted 20 April 2013 - 07:06 PM

View Postwildstorm, on 20 April 2013 - 05:10 PM, said:

A passage in this article says she didn't attend Thatcher's funeral because of "ill health"

Actually, here's the full excerpt (to save you guys the time of looking through the lengthy article):

"The crime novelist was invited to St Paul’s, but declined due to ill health and instead paid her respects at the Chapel of St Mary Undercroft on Tuesday night."

I looked at the order of service for that do, it was all timed to the minute right up to when the Queen was due to arrive. People would have had to be sitting there for well over an hour before the service even began. Frankly, I would have come up with some excuse not to go, so it wouldn't surprise me much if someone in their 90s didn't fancy it.

(She'll keel over tomorrow now, won't she?)
DDP teams:
Toast of the Turf
Nearer My God To Thee

#15 Guest_Guest_*

• Guests

Posted 20 April 2013 - 08:21 PM

I'm sure I saw her down the gym last night. She was doing 100 press ups then lifting weights! Maybe she just didn't like Thatcher?

#16 Shaun of the Dead

Shipman

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 406 posts

Posted 09 November 2013 - 01:20 PM

http://www.bbc.co.uk...t-arts-24867584-Update On P.D James- she seems incredibly sharp for 93 and is still looking good for her age! It seems her next book will be her last before she voluntarily retires though!

#17 Toast

Sanctuary Seller

• Members
  • 1,842 posts

Posted 09 November 2013 - 07:41 PM

View PostShaun of the Dead, on 09 November 2013 - 01:20 PM, said:

http://www.bbc.co.uk...t-arts-24867584-Update On P.D James- she seems incredibly sharp for 93 and is still looking good for her age! It seems her next book will be her last before she voluntarily retires though!

I read that earlier and I think she's got a bit of a nerve.

Some writers, particularly of detective fiction, have published books that they should not have published. I don't think my publisher would let me do that and I don't think my children would like me to. I hope I would know myself whether a book was worth publishing.

Which writers does she mean, I wonder. Frankly I think she herself should have packed it in a while ago. I used to enjoy her books, but the recent ones are almost unreadable. Turgid, slow and ponderous.
DDP teams:
Toast of the Turf
Nearer My God To Thee

#18 msc

Shipman

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 482 posts

Posted 09 November 2013 - 11:21 PM

I assumed that was a very blatant reference to Christie's later novels.
2014 Pan Breed DDP – S Simon (joker), S Farmiloe, W Johnson, C Kasem, V Harper, G Cole, G Garcia Marquez, P Rice, J Hill, L Dawn, A Briggs, J vd Westhuizen, C Woodhead, C Moncrieff, T Benn, R Buell, I Watkins, H Fawkes, A Reynolds, J McGinniss

Other pools – J McVie, P Worsthorne, V Campbell, S Caesar, L Rainer, R Mugabe, P Wyngarde, K Douglas, G Whitlam, S Hall, A Franklin, R Attenborough, GHW Bush, H Kissinger, E Wallach, B Reynolds, J Garner, N Reagan, H Kessler, G Saks, L Ferlinghetti, O Chadwick, R Asherson, K Ollerenshaw, F Phelps, W Jaruzelski, G Amorth, H McCullough, F Dyson, C Pincher, O Pooley, C Townes, D Slocombe, A Hiller, F Bough, RR Shaw, A Imich, C Hollingworth, S Gall, Ghiggia, C Irving, FGD Jean, H Gregg, F Domino, B Kerr, P MacNee, C Yeager, R Suart, P Maxwell Davies, J Havelange, J de Cuellar, P Dimmock, G Ure, C Mitchelmore, J Nott, H Wouk, J Freeman, M Wilson, T Docherty, P Fox, G Howe, L Cosgrave, N Lawson, B Clemens, K Evren, RK Murray, M Soares, P Vaughan, R Baker, P Lally, L Smith, A Suarez, P Robbins, I Kanarek, IM Pei, ER Killen, J Ramsey, P de Jong, A Rhett, V Gagne. = combined 19/100

2013: 28/100
2012: 25/100
Shadow Deathlist 2011- 10/50

#19 Toast

Sanctuary Seller

• Members
  • 1,842 posts

Posted 10 November 2013 - 10:14 AM

You might be right, but the tense she uses "Some writers.... have published books" just seems to me to imply she's talking about the recent past. Either way, she sounds smug in a way that imo she has no right to be.
DDP teams:
Toast of the Turf
Nearer My God To Thee

#20 Bibliogryphon

I Need To Get A Life!

• Members
  • 1,996 posts

Posted 11 November 2013 - 10:31 AM

View PostToast, on 10 November 2013 - 10:14 AM, said:

You might be right, but the tense she uses "Some writers.... have published books" just seems to me to imply she's talking about the recent past. Either way, she sounds smug in a way that imo she has no right to be.

I also think she is over optimistic about the integrity of her family and publisher. I suspect when she does die they would happily publish her shopping lists if they thought money could be made from them. (I know nothing of her specific family but other literary families do not give much hope)
"I appear to have bypassed my good taste chip"

2014 DDP Teams:

Bibliogryphon's Bookworm Food (Theme Team) 5/20
I Can't Believe They're Not Deader 4/20
Unusual Suspects 2/20

Reply to this topic

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users