62 replies to this topic

#1 faustus

faustus

Sniper

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 143 posts

Posted 03 August 2004 - 03:45 PM

mmm...84 today and an excellent writer to boot...Probably in the best of health, but you never know...Could be a good one for 2005.....What does everyone else think...?
FAUSTUS

#2 Guest_Guest_*

Guest_Guest_*
  • Guests

Posted 17 June 2006 - 07:04 PM

i nkew someome called pg jaems once

#3 BrunoBrimley

BrunoBrimley

I REALLY Need To Get A Life!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,355 posts

Posted 17 June 2006 - 09:56 PM

i nkew someome called pg jaems once

Really? And that effects us in what way Guesty? And why are you typing the way I did when I was inebriated?

#4 Brinsworth House Baiter

Brinsworth House Baiter

Assassin

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 977 posts

Posted 22 June 2006 - 07:59 AM

Baroness? PD James is a woman? You know, I never realised that, but then I've haven't read any of her books. I was aware of the tv adaptations etc. but somehow always assumed PD James to be a middle to old aged ex-forces type living in Devon, as against a little white haired old lady.

I feel like an ignorant berk who's just had his day enlightened.
I am the crow king!

I can do anything!

Any Editors Out There? Gissa B-Job... www.pitcherthis.co.uk

Please.

I've just noticed the cunning moderation of my above signature. I'd like to thank the rogue moderator responsible and also add- prospective editors, please note that a B-Job would go down just as well as a proper one. Quite possibly even more so.

#5 Six

Six

Shipman

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 482 posts

Posted 22 June 2006 - 08:20 AM

You and me both, BHB. :banghead:

#6 Octopus of Odstock

Octopus of Odstock

Post twunt

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,839 posts

Posted 01 January 2012 - 11:55 AM

Interesting pick. No updates to her thread for 5 and a half-years and one of those posts is to say she's in good health, two to say they thought she was a man and two to say that they knew someone similiarly named. So, it looks like she has been picked for age reasons only, I guess.

Based on all the above evidence, I now fully expect her to be the first hit.

#7 Spade_Cooley

Spade_Cooley

Rich Homie Quantick

• Members
  • 3,744 posts

Posted 01 January 2012 - 01:16 PM

I think this was based on my suggestion. I thought she was a man for ages as well. Plus she's a Tory peer, so fuck her.

"I have never killed a man, but I have read many obituaries with great pleasure." - Clarence Darrow

#8 msc

msc

Post-Twunt

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,354 posts

Posted 01 January 2012 - 02:47 PM

Interesting pick. No updates to her thread for 5 and a half-years and one of those posts is to say she's in good health, two to say they thought she was a man and two to say that they knew someone similiarly named. So, it looks like she has been picked for age reasons only, I guess.

She gave an interview to the Guardian in November.

Disinclined, at 90, to begin another Dalgliesh novel, on the grounds that to die leaving a manuscript unfinished would be "intolerable", she chose instead to pursue a long-cherished, if surprising, ambition.

Now she could just being practical, but that bit certainly suggests she doesn't expect to be around long enough to finish another book, however long that may be. Going off the science of a Wikipedia page, it takes about three years for her to write a book, and she was fixing this one up instead...

There's a lot of lines to read between there.

Pan Breed 2016: J Feek (joker), R Angelil, M Crowe, J Diski, R Ford, E Lubbock, Bishop G Robinson, J vd Westhuizen, M Farren, B Brown, R Kincaid, H Marks, Rev S McDonald, S LaTourette, K Farnham, A Smith, N Stiles, M Sims, P Gartside, K Granger

Other teams combined: R Atkins, C Bossom, A McQuarrie, L Carrington, L Chalfont, P Duffy, M Shaw, J Dunnett, R Murray, B Trumpington, R Buxton, M Gordon, J Knight, J Ramsden, R Sheldon, L Strathcona, E Cockeram, E du Cann, R Eyre, M Holt, E Cameron, A Yarrow, P Sallis, D Simpson, G Sterne, N Parsons, W Russell, D Pelmear, G Bayldon, D Graham, B Sellars, GA Cooper, M Perry, Y Churchman, J Garbutt, L Webb, W Lucas, A Marrane, G Houston, G Palmer, F Ricksen, R Smith, K Travis, G Banks, J Carter, G Campbell, J Woodward, S Redstone, A Hintsa, J Cruyff, Michael of Romania, R Adams, M Anderson, L Bettencourt, ER Braithwaite, G Hamilton, V Lynn, D Wilmer, H Wouk, D Slocombe, M Wilson, C Hollingworth, RF Dorr, M Brinson, V Caslavska, S Mushatt-Jones, E Morano, P Esterhazy, I St-John, R Romero, J Ace, P Maxwell-Davies, M Czarnecki, J Lovelock, Philip, ZZ Gabor, R Dotrice, D Ellis, B Forsyth, C Eastwood Total: 5/100

2015: 21/100
2014: 24/100
2013: 28/100
2012: 25/100
Shadow Deathlist 2011- 10/50

#9 Guest_Guest_*

Guest_Guest_*
  • Guests

Posted 02 January 2012 - 12:03 PM

i'm pretty sure p.d. james is in rude health, for her age... (went to an event after she published her book last year)

#10 Toast

Toast

Sanctuary Seller

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,801 posts

Posted 02 January 2012 - 12:36 PM

No one goes on for ever, though. (Apart from Clive, of course.)

DDP teams:
I'm Sorry For Your Trouble

Toast's Moribund Musos

There is only one god, and his name is Death, and there is only one thing we say to Death:  "Not today."

There's no cure for being a cunt.  (Game Of Thrones)

#11 Bibliogryphon

Bibliogryphon

Jolly Green Gnat

• Members
  • 3,369 posts

Posted 07 January 2013 - 12:29 PM

This is the other pick I am not sure of (alongside Nicolas Parsons) whenever I see her she looks alert but considering we have never got over 20 I am not going to begrudge a few -"well they might" picks.

Most of my players don't understand the difference between probaility and wishful thinking.

"I appear to have bypassed my good taste chip"

2016 DDP Teams:

Bibliogryphon's Bookworm Food (Theme Team) 0/20
I Can't Believe They're Not Deader 0/20
Unusual Suspects 2/20

2016 Shadow List:

Billy Graham/Zsa Zsa Gabor/Joao Havelange/Olivia de Havilland/Peter Sallis/Muhammad Ali/Mary Tyler Moore/Tony Booth/Paul Gascoigne/Leslie Philips/Liz Dawn/Herman Wouk/Richard Adams/Glenn Campbell/Bhumibol Adulyadej/Denis Norden/Rodney Bewes/Prince Philip, Duke of Edinburgh/Clive James/Nancy Reagan/Peter Sutcliffe /Douglas Hurd/Martin Crowe/Helmut Kohl/Peter Vaughan/Jimmy Young/Don Rickles/June Brown/Bob Wilson/Mikhail Gorbachov/Grand Duke Jean I of Luxembourg/William Russell/Everton Weekes/Sidney Poitier/Walter Mondale/John Hurt/Dave Whelan/Brian Blessed/Tom Baker/Joni Mitchell/Abdelaziz Bouteflika/Val Kilmer /Robert Mugabe/Valerie Harper/Jimmy Carter /Cher /George Bush Snr/Neil Simon/Gordon Banks/Sheila Sim 1/50 (2015: 7/50)

#12 Death Impends

Death Impends

Post-Twunt

• Members
  • 1,346 posts

Posted 07 January 2013 - 07:05 PM

This is the other pick I am not sure of (alongside Nicolas Parsons) whenever I see her she looks alert but considering we have never got over 20 I am not going to begrudge a few -"well they might" picks.

Most of my players don't understand the difference between probaility and wishful thinking.

And plus having a few old-but-healthy people on gives a few safe choices for removal come next year

DDP Team: Thomas Jefferson Survives (2016 - Rene Angelil, Alfredo "Chocolate" Armenteros, G. Monty Brinson, Bonnie Brown, Errol Christie, Martin Crowe, Johan Cruyff, Jenny Diski, Peter Esterhazy, Mark Farren, Joey Feek (J), Rob Ford, Phil Gartside, Sharon Jones, Bruce Langhorne, Eric Lubbock, Yoshiro Nakamatsu, Kris Travis, John Wicks, Suzanne Wright 4/20)

DDP History: (2015 - 12/20, 3rd place) (2014 - 7/20, =12th place) (2013 - 11/20, 4th place)

Personal 50: Zsa Zsa Gabor, Billy Graham, June Foray, David Rockefeller, Kirk Douglas, Herman Wouk, Olivia de Havilland, Jimmy Carter, George H. W. Bush, Jerry Maren, Jim Leavelle, Morton Sobell, Fidel Castro, Prince Philip, Bob Dole, Martin Crowe, Rob Ford, Henry Heimlich, Bhumibol Adulyadej,
Pat Harrington Jr., Vera Lynn, Helmut Kohl, I. M. Pei, Nancy Reagan, George S. Irving, Gershon Kingsley, Robert Mugabe, John Paul Stevens, Valerie Harper, Superstar Billy Graham, Muhammad Ali, Alan Young, Janet Waldo, Boutros Boutros-Ghali, John Glenn, Peter Sallis, Desmond Tutu, Fats Domino, Jack T. Chick, Gaston Glock, Sumner Redstone, Johan Cruyff, James Watson, E. O. Wilson, Masaya Nakamura, Yoshiro Nakamatsu, Doris Day, Charles Aznavour, Stephen Hawking, Abe Vigoda (2/50)

#13 wildstorm

wildstorm

Crazy Canuck

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 384 posts

Posted 20 April 2013 - 05:10 PM

A passage in this article says she didn't attend Thatcher's funeral because of "ill health"

Actually, here's the full excerpt (to save you guys the time of looking through the lengthy article):

"The crime novelist was invited to St Paul’s, but declined due to ill health and instead paid her respects at the Chapel of St Mary Undercroft on Tuesday night."

2016 Deathlist (My Nifty Fifty):

Zsa Zsa Gabor, Billy Graham, Bryan Murray, Chuck Blazer, Gino Odjick, René Angélil, Glen Campbell, George H.W. Bush, Helmut Kohl, Bhumibol Adulyadej, David Rockefeller, Colin Dexter, Kirk Douglas, Muhammad Ali, Stan Mikita, Valerie Harper, Sumner Redstone, Bishop Desmon Tutu, "Superstar" Billy Graham, Tommy Chong, Ayatollah Khamenei, Herman Wouk, Don Rickles, Pope Benedict XVI, Harper Lee, Beverly Cleary, Rob Ford, Val Kilmer, Mary Tyler Moore, Joyce Randolph, Peter Sallis, Glen Sather, Nancy Reagan, Hosni Mubarak, Dr. Henry Heimlich, Abe Vigoda, Diana Serra Cary, Carol Channing, Lilliane Bettencourt, I.M. Pei, Norman Lear, Scott Putesky, Gaston Glock, Hugh Downs, Joseph Kony, Jimmy Carter, John Glenn, Cpt. Eric Brown, Jerry Lewis, Robert Mugabe

#14 Toast

Toast

Sanctuary Seller

• Members
  • 2,801 posts

Posted 20 April 2013 - 07:06 PM

A passage in this article says she didn't attend Thatcher's funeral because of "ill health"

Actually, here's the full excerpt (to save you guys the time of looking through the lengthy article):

"The crime novelist was invited to St Paul’s, but declined due to ill health and instead paid her respects at the Chapel of St Mary Undercroft on Tuesday night."

I looked at the order of service for that do, it was all timed to the minute right up to when the Queen was due to arrive. People would have had to be sitting there for well over an hour before the service even began. Frankly, I would have come up with some excuse not to go, so it wouldn't surprise me much if someone in their 90s didn't fancy it.

(She'll keel over tomorrow now, won't she?)

DDP teams:

Toast's Moribund Musos

There is only one god, and his name is Death, and there is only one thing we say to Death:  "Not today."

#15 Guest_Guest_*

Guest_Guest_*
  • Guests

Posted 20 April 2013 - 08:21 PM

I'm sure I saw her down the gym last night. She was doing 100 press ups then lifting weights! Maybe she just didn't like Thatcher?

#16 Shaun of the Dead

Shaun of the Dead

I Need To Get A Life!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,568 posts

Posted 09 November 2013 - 01:20 PM

http://www.bbc.co.uk...t-arts-24867584-Update On P.D James- she seems incredibly sharp for 93 and is still looking good for her age! It seems her next book will be her last before she voluntarily retires though!

Shadow Deathlist:

1)Martin Crowe 2)Howard Marks 3)Antony Booth 4)Zsa Zsa Gabor 5)Joao Havelange 6)Billy Graham 7)Kirk Douglas 8)Herman Wouk 9)Leslie Philips 10)Bhumibol Adulyadej 11) Helmut Kohl 12)Vera Lynn 13)Olivia de Havilland 14)Cliff Michelmore 15)Peter Sallis 16)Denis Norden 17)Javier Perez de Cuellar 18)Fidel Castro19)George H.W Bush 20)Nancy Reagan 21)Prince Phillip 22)Douglas Slocombe 23)Muhammad Ali 24)Stephen Hawking 25)Colin Dexter 6)Ian Brady 27)Clive James 28)Valerie Harper 29) Lord Peter Carrington 30)Stan Lee 31)Liz Dawn 32)Glen Campbell 33)Rob Ford 34)Charles Aznavour 35)Joost van der Westhuizen 36)Liz Smith (Actress) 37)Jake LaMotta 38)Richard Adams39)Clare Hollingworth40)Fats Domino 41) Lord Jim Prior 42)Boutros Boutros Ghali 43)George P Schultz 44)John Noakes 45)Mary Tyler Moore 46)Paul Gascoigne 47)Jimmy Young 48)Ian St John 49)Jimmy Carter 50)Abe Vigoda

Derby Dead Pool Team:Shaun of the Dead 69

1)Joey Feek joker.gif 2)Kristen Hallenga 3)Dr Kate Granger 4)Billy Graham 5)Zsa Zsa Gabor 6)Martin Crowe 7)Howard  Marks 8)Jenny Diski 9)Paul Gascoigne 10)Rene Angelil 11)Val Kilmer 12)Rob Ford 13)Joost van der Westhuizen 14)Jeanne Little 15)John Noakes 16)Gladys Hooper 17)Muhammad Ali 18)Stephen Hawking 19)Bhumibol Adulyadej20)Leslie Phillips

No More Expenses:(Theme team)

1)Eric Lubbock joker.gif 2)Ronald Atkins 3)Albert McQuarrie 4)Clive Bossom 5)Michael Shaw  6)Robert Sheldon 7)Jill Knight
8)John Eden 9)James Ramsden 10)Edward du Cann 11)Patrick Jenkin ghost.gif12)Jim Prior 13)Bill Rodgers14)David Waddington 15)Douglas Hurd 16)Nigel Lawson 17)Roy Hattersley 18)Sir Peter Tapsell 19)Norman Tebbit 20)Cecil Parkinson

#17 Toast

Toast

Sanctuary Seller

• Members
  • 2,801 posts

Posted 09 November 2013 - 07:41 PM

http://www.bbc.co.uk...t-arts-24867584-Update On P.D James- she seems incredibly sharp for 93 and is still looking good for her age! It seems her next book will be her last before she voluntarily retires though!

I read that earlier and I think she's got a bit of a nerve.

Some writers, particularly of detective fiction, have published books that they should not have published. I don't think my publisher would let me do that and I don't think my children would like me to. I hope I would know myself whether a book was worth publishing.

Which writers does she mean, I wonder. Frankly I think she herself should have packed it in a while ago. I used to enjoy her books, but the recent ones are almost unreadable. Turgid, slow and ponderous.

DDP teams:

Toast's Moribund Musos

#18 msc

msc

Post-Twunt

• Members
  • 1,354 posts

Posted 09 November 2013 - 11:21 PM

I assumed that was a very blatant reference to Christie's later novels.

Pan Breed 2016: J Feek (joker), R Angelil, M Crowe, J Diski, R Ford, E Lubbock, Bishop G Robinson, J vd Westhuizen, M Farren, B Brown, R Kincaid, H Marks, Rev S McDonald, S LaTourette, K Farnham, A Smith, N Stiles, M Sims, P Gartside, K Granger

Other teams combined: R Atkins, C Bossom, A McQuarrie, L Carrington, L Chalfont, P Duffy, M Shaw, J Dunnett, R Murray, B Trumpington, R Buxton, M Gordon, J Knight, J Ramsden, R Sheldon, L Strathcona, E Cockeram, E du Cann, R Eyre, M Holt, E Cameron, A Yarrow, P Sallis, D Simpson, G Sterne, N Parsons, W Russell, D Pelmear, G Bayldon, D Graham, B Sellars, GA Cooper, M Perry, Y Churchman, J Garbutt, L Webb, W Lucas, A Marrane, G Houston, G Palmer, F Ricksen, R Smith, K Travis, G Banks, J Carter, G Campbell, J Woodward, S Redstone, A Hintsa, J Cruyff, Michael of Romania, R Adams, M Anderson, L Bettencourt, ER Braithwaite, G Hamilton, V Lynn, D Wilmer, H Wouk, D Slocombe, M Wilson, C Hollingworth, RF Dorr, M Brinson, V Caslavska, S Mushatt-Jones, E Morano, P Esterhazy, I St-John, R Romero, J Ace, P Maxwell-Davies, M Czarnecki, J Lovelock, Philip, ZZ Gabor, R Dotrice, D Ellis, B Forsyth, C Eastwood Total: 5/100

2015: 21/100
2014: 24/100
2013: 28/100
2012: 25/100
Shadow Deathlist 2011- 10/50

#19 Toast

Toast

Sanctuary Seller

• Members
  • 2,801 posts

Posted 10 November 2013 - 10:14 AM

You might be right, but the tense she uses "Some writers.... have published books" just seems to me to imply she's talking about the recent past. Either way, she sounds smug in a way that imo she has no right to be.

DDP teams:

Toast's Moribund Musos

#20 Bibliogryphon

Bibliogryphon

Jolly Green Gnat

• Members
  • 3,369 posts

Posted 11 November 2013 - 10:31 AM

You might be right, but the tense she uses "Some writers.... have published books" just seems to me to imply she's talking about the recent past. Either way, she sounds smug in a way that imo she has no right to be.

I also think she is over optimistic about the integrity of her family and publisher. I suspect when she does die they would happily publish her shopping lists if they thought money could be made from them. (I know nothing of her specific family but other literary families do not give much hope)

"I appear to have bypassed my good taste chip"

2016 DDP Teams:

Bibliogryphon's Bookworm Food (Theme Team) 0/20
I Can't Believe They're Not Deader 0/20
Unusual Suspects 2/20

2016 Shadow List:

Billy Graham/Zsa Zsa Gabor/Joao Havelange/Olivia de Havilland/Peter Sallis/Muhammad Ali/Mary Tyler Moore/Tony Booth/Paul Gascoigne/Leslie Philips/Liz Dawn/Herman Wouk/Richard Adams/Glenn Campbell/Bhumibol Adulyadej/Denis Norden/Rodney Bewes/Prince Philip, Duke of Edinburgh/Clive James/Nancy Reagan/Peter Sutcliffe /Douglas Hurd/Martin Crowe/Helmut Kohl/Peter Vaughan/Jimmy Young/Don Rickles/June Brown/Bob Wilson/Mikhail Gorbachov/Grand Duke Jean I of Luxembourg/William Russell/Everton Weekes/Sidney Poitier/Walter Mondale/John Hurt/Dave Whelan/Brian Blessed/Tom Baker/Joni Mitchell/Abdelaziz Bouteflika/Val Kilmer /Robert Mugabe/Valerie Harper/Jimmy Carter /Cher /George Bush Snr/Neil Simon/Gordon Banks/Sheila Sim 1/50 (2015: 7/50)

Reply to this topic

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: dead

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users