62 replies to this topic

#1 faustus

faustus

Sniper

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 143 posts

Posted 03 August 2004 - 03:45 PM

mmm...84 today and an excellent writer to boot...Probably in the best of health, but you never know...Could be a good one for 2005.....What does everyone else think...?
FAUSTUS

#2 Guest_Guest_*

Guest_Guest_*
  • Guests

Posted 17 June 2006 - 07:04 PM

i nkew someome called pg jaems once

#3 BrunoBrimley

BrunoBrimley

I REALLY Need To Get A Life!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,346 posts

Posted 17 June 2006 - 09:56 PM

i nkew someome called pg jaems once

Really? And that effects us in what way Guesty? And why are you typing the way I did when I was inebriated?

#4 Brinsworth House Baiter

Brinsworth House Baiter

Assassin

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 977 posts

Posted 22 June 2006 - 07:59 AM

Baroness? PD James is a woman? You know, I never realised that, but then I've haven't read any of her books. I was aware of the tv adaptations etc. but somehow always assumed PD James to be a middle to old aged ex-forces type living in Devon, as against a little white haired old lady.

I feel like an ignorant berk who's just had his day enlightened.
I am the crow king!

I can do anything!

Any Editors Out There? Gissa B-Job... www.pitcherthis.co.uk

Please.

I've just noticed the cunning moderation of my above signature. I'd like to thank the rogue moderator responsible and also add- prospective editors, please note that a B-Job would go down just as well as a proper one. Quite possibly even more so.

#5 Six

Six

Shipman

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 482 posts

Posted 22 June 2006 - 08:20 AM

You and me both, BHB. :banghead:

#6 Octopus of Odstock

Octopus of Odstock

Post twunt

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,837 posts

Posted 01 January 2012 - 11:55 AM

Interesting pick. No updates to her thread for 5 and a half-years and one of those posts is to say she's in good health, two to say they thought she was a man and two to say that they knew someone similiarly named. So, it looks like she has been picked for age reasons only, I guess.

Based on all the above evidence, I now fully expect her to be the first hit.

#7 Spade_Cooley

Spade_Cooley

Rich Homie Quantick

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,064 posts

Posted 01 January 2012 - 01:16 PM

I think this was based on my suggestion. I thought she was a man for ages as well. Plus she's a Tory peer, so fuck her.
"I have never killed a man, but I have read many obituaries with great pleasure." - Clarence Darrow

"Get back to task and participate, or you will come with us at the finale to dance, although there will be shocking deaths. Yoshi is coming for me." - Pikalin Soutdalany

#8 msc

msc

Executioner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 639 posts

Posted 01 January 2012 - 02:47 PM

Interesting pick. No updates to her thread for 5 and a half-years and one of those posts is to say she's in good health, two to say they thought she was a man and two to say that they knew someone similiarly named. So, it looks like she has been picked for age reasons only, I guess.

She gave an interview to the Guardian in November.

Disinclined, at 90, to begin another Dalgliesh novel, on the grounds that to die leaving a manuscript unfinished would be "intolerable", she chose instead to pursue a long-cherished, if surprising, ambition.

Now she could just being practical, but that bit certainly suggests she doesn't expect to be around long enough to finish another book, however long that may be. Going off the science of a Wikipedia page, it takes about three years for her to write a book, and she was fixing this one up instead...

There's a lot of lines to read between there.

DDP – C Bloomfield (joker), M Crowe, H Fawkes, K Granger, E Lubbock, S Simon, J Hill, J van der Westhuizen, S Milne, R Sakamoto, P Sledge, G Campbell, J Villeneuve Sr, V Seselj, M Wilson, A Briggs, P Sallis, P MacNee, P Sutcliffe, C Aherne

Other Combined Deadpools – A Hiller, S W Beckett, D Ellis, T West, F Fielding, M Anderson, L Nimoy, R Ginsburg, R Ford, N Bockwinkel, P Tobin, Topol, O Pooley, J Woodward, H Wouk, G Janner, B Adelyadej, M Ali, R Angelil, D Berkowitz, T Booth, G Cole, J Havelange, S Kuttner, F Ricksen, S Sim, S Wagstaff, D Tutu, FGD Jean, C Mitchelmore, E Cameron, R Moody, J Prior, R Benaud, G Ratzinger, A McQuarrie, S Mercier, G Lee Boggs, N Kember, G Balydon, P Cardin, J Lingard, Rev B Graham, C James, N Lawson, C Woodhead, F Starr, S Hall, B Walden, C Moncrieff, P Worsthorne, R Mugabe, J Perry, L Ferlinghetti, L Carrington, C Eden, W Russell, B Aldiss, R Hardy, K Dodd, B Newbery, T Lehrer, E Morricone, P Cellier, P Dickinson, J Plowright. J Astin, M Gorbachev, J Dickens, A Ashley, T Dalyell, J Molyneaux, R Mason, S Poitier, R Atkins, J Fontaine, M Falkender, M Imison, W Ewing, S Lewis. Total 2/100

2014 – 24/100
2013: 28/100
2012: 25/100
Shadow Deathlist 2011- 10/50

#9 Guest_Guest_*

Guest_Guest_*
  • Guests

Posted 02 January 2012 - 12:03 PM

i'm pretty sure p.d. james is in rude health, for her age... (went to an event after she published her book last year)

#10 Toast

Toast

Sanctuary Seller

• Members
  • 2,003 posts

Posted 02 January 2012 - 12:36 PM

No one goes on for ever, though. (Apart from Clive, of course.)

DDP teams:
I'm Sorry For Your Trouble
Nearer My God To Thee
Long Shot Kick De Bucket

"What do we say to the God of Death?"

"Not today."

"There's no cure for being a cunt." 

(Game Of Thrones)

#11 Bibliogryphon

Bibliogryphon

Jolly Green Gnat

• Members
  • 2,243 posts

Posted 07 January 2013 - 12:29 PM

This is the other pick I am not sure of (alongside Nicolas Parsons) whenever I see her she looks alert but considering we have never got over 20 I am not going to begrudge a few -"well they might" picks.

Most of my players don't understand the difference between probaility and wishful thinking.

"I appear to have bypassed my good taste chip"

2015 DDP Teams: (2014)

Bibliogryphon's Bookworm Food (Theme Team) 1/20 (5/20 - =7th Theme Team League (=68th))
I Can't Believe They're Not Deader 1/20 (2/20 =351st)
Unusual Suspects 0/20 (5/20 =114th)

Winner of 2014 Inverse Deadpool

2015 Shadow List

Sam Simon/Billy Graham/Zsa Zsa Gabor/B B King/Joao Havelange/Olivia de Havilland/Peter Sallis/Kirk Douglas/Muhammad Ali/Mary Tyler Moore/George Bush Snr/Tony Booth/Leonard Nimoy/Paul Gascoigne/Leslie Philips/Denis Healey/Liz Dawn/Herman Wouk/Richard Adams/Vera Lynn/Jean Alexander/Glenn Campbell/Fats Domino/Fidel Castro/Bhumibol Adulyadej/Jake Lamotta/Robert Mugabe/Lord Carrington/Peter OSullevan/Abdelaziz Bouteflika/Helmut Schmidt/Joost van der Westhuizen/Phil Spector/Rob Ford/Bill Maynard/Denis Norden/Abe Vigoda/Rodney Bewes/Prince Philip, Duke of Edinburgh/Manuel Noriega/Douglas Hurd/Clive James/Kim Jong-Un/Ali Carter/Nancy Reagan/Ronnie Corbett/Cliff Mitchelmore/Peter Sutcliffe/ Christopher Lee/ Ian Brady 1/50

#12 Death Impends

Death Impends

Post-Twunt

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,146 posts

Posted 07 January 2013 - 07:05 PM

This is the other pick I am not sure of (alongside Nicolas Parsons) whenever I see her she looks alert but considering we have never got over 20 I am not going to begrudge a few -"well they might" picks.

Most of my players don't understand the difference between probaility and wishful thinking.

And plus having a few old-but-healthy people on gives a few safe choices for removal come next year

DDP Team - Thomas Jefferson Survives (2015 - Caroline Aherne, Harry Beitzel, Bob Benmosche, Colin Bloomfield, Martin Crowe (J), Little Jimmy Dickens, Wendell H. Ford, Kate Granger, Michael C. Gross, Lauren Hill, John McCabe, Bryan Murray, Gino Odjick, Qaboos bin Said Al Said of Oman, Robert H. Schuller, Stuart Scott, Sam Simon, Percy Sledge, Ion Trewin, Ralph V. Whitworth 5/20) (2014 - 7/20, =12th place) (2013 - 11/20, 4th place)

Personal 50: Sam Simon, Billy Graham,
Little Jimmy Dickens, Gordie Howe, Clive James, Leonard Nimoy, David Rockefeller, Zsa Zsa Gabor, Kirk Douglas, Herman Wouk, Olivia de Havilland, Bob Dole, June Foray, George H.W. Bush, Fidel Castro, Prince Philip, Robert Mugabe, Al Molinaro, Jim Leavelle, Henry Heimlich, Bhumibol Adulyadej, Pope Benedict XVI, Morton Sobell, George S. Irving, Nancy Reagan, Maureen O'Hara, Muhammad Ali, Boutros Boutros-Ghali, Alan Young, King Abdullah, Lee Kuan Yew, Jimmy Carter, Carol Channing, Patrick Macnee, Ingvar Kamprad, Jim Nabors, John Dingell, Melvin Laird, Gaston Glock, John Glenn, Ennio Morricone, Mikhail Gorbachev, Bart Starr, Mary Tyler Moore, Joanne Woodward, Francoise Gilot, Chuck Yeager, Jerry Lewis, Yogi Berra, Abe Vigoda (3/50, 12/50 in 2014, 14/50 in 2013)

#13 wildstorm

wildstorm

Crazy Canuck

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 327 posts

Posted 20 April 2013 - 05:10 PM

A passage in this article says she didn't attend Thatcher's funeral because of "ill health"

Actually, here's the full excerpt (to save you guys the time of looking through the lengthy article):

"The crime novelist was invited to St Paul’s, but declined due to ill health and instead paid her respects at the Chapel of St Mary Undercroft on Tuesday night."

2015 Deathlist (My Nifty Fifty):
Zsa Zsa Gabor, Billy Graham, Sam Simon, Leonard Nimoy, Scott Putesky, Bryan Murray, Bernie Madoff, Johnny Gimble, Gordie Howe, Muhammad Ali, Max Keeping, Glen Campbell, René Angélil, Al Arbour, Gino Odjick, George HW Bush, Don Rickles, Jimmy Dickens, Bob Barker, Malcolm Young, Nancy Reagan, Morrissey, David Rockefeller, Stephen Hawking, Charles H. Townes, Harper Lee, June Foray, Mary Tyler Moore, Sean Connery, Carol Channing, Al Molinaro, Prince Philip, Bhumibol Adulyadej, Mikhail Gorbachev, Jake Lamotta, Abdullah Al Saud, Joyce Randolph, Jack Carter, Rob Ford, Robert Mugabe, Jayne Meadows, Randy Travis, Gaston Glock, Jean Coutu, Kirk Douglas, Norman Lear, Abe Vigoda, Herman Wouk, Dr. Henry Heimlich, Liliane Bettencourt

#14 Toast

Toast

Sanctuary Seller

• Members
  • 2,003 posts

Posted 20 April 2013 - 07:06 PM

A passage in this article says she didn't attend Thatcher's funeral because of "ill health"

Actually, here's the full excerpt (to save you guys the time of looking through the lengthy article):

"The crime novelist was invited to St Paul’s, but declined due to ill health and instead paid her respects at the Chapel of St Mary Undercroft on Tuesday night."

I looked at the order of service for that do, it was all timed to the minute right up to when the Queen was due to arrive. People would have had to be sitting there for well over an hour before the service even began. Frankly, I would have come up with some excuse not to go, so it wouldn't surprise me much if someone in their 90s didn't fancy it.

(She'll keel over tomorrow now, won't she?)

DDP teams:
Nearer My God To Thee
Long Shot Kick De Bucket

"Not today."

(Game Of Thrones)

#15 Guest_Guest_*

Guest_Guest_*
  • Guests

Posted 20 April 2013 - 08:21 PM

I'm sure I saw her down the gym last night. She was doing 100 press ups then lifting weights! Maybe she just didn't like Thatcher?

#16 Shaun of the Dead

Shaun of the Dead

Executioner

• Members
  • 675 posts

Posted 09 November 2013 - 01:20 PM

http://www.bbc.co.uk...t-arts-24867584-Update On P.D James- she seems incredibly sharp for 93 and is still looking good for her age! It seems her next book will be her last before she voluntarily retires though!

-Shaun of the Dead's Shadow Deathlist:
1)Sam Simon 2)Zsa Zsa Gabor 3)Billy Graham 4)Bhumibol Adulyadej 5)João Havelange 6)Stephen Hawking 7)Sir Nicholas Winton 8)Muhammad Ali 9)Antony Booth 10)Herman Wouk 11)Sheila Mercier 12)Peter Sallis 13)Daisy Berkowitz 14)David Rockefeller 15)Cliff Michelmore 16)Liz Smith 17)Fidel Castro 18)Prince Philip 19)George H.W Bush 20)Maureen O`Hara 21)Denis Healey 22)Joost van der Westhuizen 23)Kirk Douglas 24)Alan Young 25)Abe Vigoda 26)June Foray 27)Norman Lloyd 28)Peter Carrington 29)Lilianne Bettencourt 30)Colin Dexter 31)Leonard Nimoy 32)Nancy Reagan 33)Caroline Aherne 34)Paul Gascoigne 35)Rob Ford 36)Peter Sutcliffe 37)Phil Spector 38)Helen Fawkes 39)Vera Lynn 40)Olivia de Havilland 41)Peter O`Sullevan 42)Liz Dawn 43)Helmut Schmidt 44)Jimmy Hill 45)Clive James 46)Mary Tyler Moore 47)Valerie Harper 48)Carol Channing 49)Al Molinaro 50)Ian Brady

-Deathrace 2015:
 1)Bhumibol Adulyadej 2)Lilliane Bettencourt 3)Liz Dawn 4)Colin Dexter 5)Zsa Zsa Gabor 6)Paul Gascoigne 7)Billy Graham 8)Dr Kate Granger 9)Valerie Harper 10)João Havelange 11)Ken Hechler 12)Clare Hollingworth 13)Ethel Lang joker.gif 14)Grace Lee Boggs 15)Kitty McGeever 16)Sakari Momoi 17)Morrissey 18)Misao Okawa 19)Sam Simon 20)Douglas Slocombe 

#17 Toast

Toast

Sanctuary Seller

• Members
  • 2,003 posts

Posted 09 November 2013 - 07:41 PM

http://www.bbc.co.uk...t-arts-24867584-Update On P.D James- she seems incredibly sharp for 93 and is still looking good for her age! It seems her next book will be her last before she voluntarily retires though!

I read that earlier and I think she's got a bit of a nerve.

Some writers, particularly of detective fiction, have published books that they should not have published. I don't think my publisher would let me do that and I don't think my children would like me to. I hope I would know myself whether a book was worth publishing.

Which writers does she mean, I wonder. Frankly I think she herself should have packed it in a while ago. I used to enjoy her books, but the recent ones are almost unreadable. Turgid, slow and ponderous.

DDP teams:
Nearer My God To Thee
Long Shot Kick De Bucket

"Not today."

(Game Of Thrones)

#18 msc

msc

Executioner

• Members
  • 639 posts

Posted 09 November 2013 - 11:21 PM

I assumed that was a very blatant reference to Christie's later novels.

DDP – C Bloomfield (joker), M Crowe, H Fawkes, K Granger, E Lubbock, S Simon, J Hill, J van der Westhuizen, S Milne, R Sakamoto, P Sledge, G Campbell, J Villeneuve Sr, V Seselj, M Wilson, A Briggs, P Sallis, P MacNee, P Sutcliffe, C Aherne

Other Combined Deadpools – A Hiller, S W Beckett, D Ellis, T West, F Fielding, M Anderson, L Nimoy, R Ginsburg, R Ford, N Bockwinkel, P Tobin, Topol, O Pooley, J Woodward, H Wouk, G Janner, B Adelyadej, M Ali, R Angelil, D Berkowitz, T Booth, G Cole, J Havelange, S Kuttner, F Ricksen, S Sim, S Wagstaff, D Tutu, FGD Jean, C Mitchelmore, E Cameron, R Moody, J Prior, R Benaud, G Ratzinger, A McQuarrie, S Mercier, G Lee Boggs, N Kember, G Balydon, P Cardin, J Lingard, Rev B Graham, C James, N Lawson, C Woodhead, F Starr, S Hall, B Walden, C Moncrieff, P Worsthorne, R Mugabe, J Perry, L Ferlinghetti, L Carrington, C Eden, W Russell, B Aldiss, R Hardy, K Dodd, B Newbery, T Lehrer, E Morricone, P Cellier, P Dickinson, J Plowright. J Astin, M Gorbachev, J Dickens, A Ashley, T Dalyell, J Molyneaux, R Mason, S Poitier, R Atkins, J Fontaine, M Falkender, M Imison, W Ewing, S Lewis. Total 2/100

2014 – 24/100
2013: 28/100
2012: 25/100
Shadow Deathlist 2011- 10/50

#19 Toast

Toast

Sanctuary Seller

• Members
  • 2,003 posts

Posted 10 November 2013 - 10:14 AM

You might be right, but the tense she uses "Some writers.... have published books" just seems to me to imply she's talking about the recent past. Either way, she sounds smug in a way that imo she has no right to be.

DDP teams:
Nearer My God To Thee
Long Shot Kick De Bucket

"Not today."

(Game Of Thrones)

#20 Bibliogryphon

Bibliogryphon

Jolly Green Gnat

• Members
  • 2,243 posts

Posted 11 November 2013 - 10:31 AM

You might be right, but the tense she uses "Some writers.... have published books" just seems to me to imply she's talking about the recent past. Either way, she sounds smug in a way that imo she has no right to be.

I also think she is over optimistic about the integrity of her family and publisher. I suspect when she does die they would happily publish her shopping lists if they thought money could be made from them. (I know nothing of her specific family but other literary families do not give much hope)

"I appear to have bypassed my good taste chip"

2015 DDP Teams: (2014)

Bibliogryphon's Bookworm Food (Theme Team) 1/20 (5/20 - =7th Theme Team League (=68th))
I Can't Believe They're Not Deader 1/20 (2/20 =351st)
Unusual Suspects 0/20 (5/20 =114th)

Winner of 2014 Inverse Deadpool

2015 Shadow List

Sam Simon/Billy Graham/Zsa Zsa Gabor/B B King/Joao Havelange/Olivia de Havilland/Peter Sallis/Kirk Douglas/Muhammad Ali/Mary Tyler Moore/George Bush Snr/Tony Booth/Leonard Nimoy/Paul Gascoigne/Leslie Philips/Denis Healey/Liz Dawn/Herman Wouk/Richard Adams/Vera Lynn/Jean Alexander/Glenn Campbell/Fats Domino/Fidel Castro/Bhumibol Adulyadej/Jake Lamotta/Robert Mugabe/Lord Carrington/Peter OSullevan/Abdelaziz Bouteflika/Helmut Schmidt/Joost van der Westhuizen/Phil Spector/Rob Ford/Bill Maynard/Denis Norden/Abe Vigoda/Rodney Bewes/Prince Philip, Duke of Edinburgh/Manuel Noriega/Douglas Hurd/Clive James/Kim Jong-Un/Ali Carter/Nancy Reagan/Ronnie Corbett/Cliff Mitchelmore/Peter Sutcliffe/ Christopher Lee/ Ian Brady 1/50

Reply to this topic

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: dead

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users