166 replies to this topic

#141 Josco

I Need To Get A Life!

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,839 posts

Posted 23 February 2012 - 04:06 PM

View PostGodot, on 23 February 2012 - 03:45 PM, said:

...... Another thing - middle class very definitely didn't mean better as James Cameron pointed out when he showed all the Irish having a great time down in third class on Titanic - until it sunk and they all died. There's a lot to be said for the working class. It needs to be revived.

I don't think it's the class divisions that needs reviving, it's having a good time whichever class you're in. People are generally far too miserable these days, alcohol has become the new demon (they've got rid of smoking almost); beer in my local has gone up to 3 guineas a pint. Holy shit! It was 2/6 (about 12p) when I first started going to a pub.....
"If you have nothing to hide you have nothing to fear...." Jacqui Smith - Ex-Home Secretary (and many other misguided fools)
"I fear having to prove I have nothing to hide." Josco

"Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves".
William Pitt, 1783

Shaw's Principle: "Build a system that even a fool can use, and only a fool will want to use it."

#142 Godot

In a minute

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,860 posts

Posted 23 February 2012 - 04:15 PM

View PostJosco, on 23 February 2012 - 04:06 PM, said:

...... Another thing - middle class very definitely didn't mean better as James Cameron pointed out when he showed all the Irish having a great time down in third class on Titanic - until it sunk and they all died. There's a lot to be said for the working class. It needs to be revived.

I don't think it's the class divisions that needs reviving, it's having a good time whichever class you're in. People are generally far too miserable these days, alcohol has become the new demon (they've got rid of smoking almost); beer in my local has gone up to 3 guineas a pint. Holy shit! It was 2/6 (about 12p) when I first started going to a pub.....

Half a crown? You wuz robbed. A pint of Younger's Tartan was 1/6 when I first started, mind it was like dish water. You could drink that stuff all night and still pass a breath test.
Ring down the curtain, the farce is over

#143 Toast

Sanctuary Seller

• Members
  • 1,601 posts

Posted 23 February 2012 - 06:34 PM

Half-a-crown, now that's what I call a proper coin. I found one in a drawer the other day. Beautiful thing.
DDP teams:
If I'm Spared Myself, Of Course
Toast of the Turf
Nearer My God To Thee

#144 Paul Bearer

Zombie Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,094 posts

Posted 23 February 2012 - 07:38 PM

I was at Warwick castle at the weekend. They had various pre decimal coins in a plastic envelope, there was a florin, threepenny bit, tanner, penny, ha'penny, farthing, half a crown, a shilling all for £10.00. I seriously did think about buying one.
This is true my form is something odd,
But blaming me is blaming God;
Could I create myself anew
I would not fail in pleasing you.

#145 Guest_w_*

• Guests

Posted 23 February 2012 - 11:21 PM

I believe that I shall give up Devonshire clotted cream. Not a big loss really, as I've never had it.

#146 Spade_Cooley

Rich Homie Quantick

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,662 posts

Posted 24 February 2012 - 11:33 AM

OK Spade not complete bollocks but far too simplistic. I come from as working class a background as it's possible to get but I wouldn't have been surprised to find that my parents voted conservative - they never told me and I never asked. They had values, I suppose, that were more aligned to the BBC than ITV - and so do I. I couldn't warm to Magpie, but I couldn't relate much to people like Christopher Trace or Valerie Singleton either. But John Noaks, well he was very down to earth and working class. It's not just a class thing but a bit of a north-south thing too. The middle class is very strong down south but in the north in my town when I was a kid there weren't many middle class people so there were no Jonses to keep up with or to suggest what TV station to watch. The BBC just seemed better and didn't have any adverts. But when the other side did something decent such as Coronation Street, we watched it. The thing is, nearly all the best stuff was on BBC. ITV had Tommy Cooper, Benny Hill and World In Action and that was about it. Another thing - middle class very definitely didn't mean better as James Cameron pointed out when he showed all the Irish having a great time down in third class on Titanic - until it sunk and they all died. There's a lot to be said for the working class. It needs to be revived.

I think maybe my views are a little clouded perhaps because I grew up a) during Thatcherism and B) in an immigrant family, so maybe I'm too eager to over-simplify. Indeed, ITV was always bigger with immigrant audiences because it used to look like a foreign TV channel. every night being variety show night. Also, immigrants loved "Mind Your Language". I've watched that show on YouTube, I'm really glad that Barry Evans died alone and broke.

The traditional working class of this country doesn't exist anymore tbh, the right destroyed the unions and the left destroyed the churches. So outside of Islamic Fundamentalism (which is becoming increasingly middle class, you seen how much a return to Islamabad to train costs these days?) and the EDL, there's no real massed gatherings of the working man these days. Which is a shame, but I can't imagine there's anything we can do on a message board dedicated to zinging corpses that'll help revive the proleteriat.

Feel like deadpooling is working class anyway, there's a sense of a lack of respect or a refusal to bow to authority inherent in it.
"I have never killed a man, but I have read many obituaries with great pleasure." - Clarence Darrow

"Get back to task and participate, or you will come with us at the finale to dance, although there will be shocking deaths. Yoshi is coming for me." - Pikalin Soutdalany

#147 themaninblack

Pun Plunderer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,991 posts

Posted 24 February 2012 - 09:04 PM

I kind of lean on Spade's side in this debate. It reminds me of a magnificent debate I had at University with my best mate's girlfriend on this very subject of what's working class and what's middle class and I'm pretty sure that Blue Peter and The Muppets were mentioned as admissible evidence (We also once had a debate about whether to call vaginas flaps or slits - you can't beat a good education!).

Lots of WC people watch BP but it was made for the middle classes, undoubtedly.

The BBC have been better but ITV had their moments too (Shelley, The Sweeney, Minder, Widows, Auf Wiedersehen, Pet, Kenny Everett's Video Show, Brideshead Revisited, Rising Damp) and in CITV terms too (Knightmare, Dramarama, Worzel Gummidge, Dangermouse, Fat Tulip's Garden, Educating Marmalade, Tiswas).

TV was pretty good in those days. I actually don't like these dedicated children's channels because I think modern parents pander to children by having those channels on all the time and don't show them the real world enough. To me the 1980s which I grew up in really was much about IRA bombing campaigns, mass unemployment and the USSR than it was about Zammo and Rowland. Not to mention alternative comedy and wall-to-wall snooker...
"I must have killed more men than Cecil B. DeMille."

Gene Wilder as "the Waco Kid", Blazing Saddles (1974)

#148 Spade_Cooley

Rich Homie Quantick

• Members
  • 2,662 posts

Posted 24 February 2012 - 09:47 PM

Prodigious DL fan Melvyn Bragg wades into the debate.
"I have never killed a man, but I have read many obituaries with great pleasure." - Clarence Darrow

"Get back to task and participate, or you will come with us at the finale to dance, although there will be shocking deaths. Yoshi is coming for me." - Pikalin Soutdalany

#149 time

Lord

• Members
  • 2,737 posts

Posted 24 February 2012 - 09:49 PM

View Postthemaninblack, on 24 February 2012 - 09:04 PM, said:

I kind of lean on Spade's side in this debate. It reminds me of a magnificent debate I had at University with my best mate's girlfriend on this very subject of what's working class and what's middle class and I'm pretty sure that Blue Peter and The Muppets were mentioned as admissible evidence (We also once had a debate about whether to call vaginas flaps or slits - you can't beat a good education!).

Lots of WC people watch BP but it was made for the middle classes, undoubtedly.

The BBC have been better but ITV had their moments too (Shelley, The Sweeney, Minder, Widows, Auf Wiedersehen, Pet, Kenny Everett's Video Show, Brideshead Revisited, Rising Damp) and in CITV terms too (Knightmare, Dramarama, Worzel Gummidge, Dangermouse, Fat Tulip's Garden, Educating Marmalade, Tiswas).

TV was pretty good in those days. I actually don't like these dedicated children's channels because I think modern parents pander to children by having those channels on all the time and don't show them the real world enough. To me the 1980s which I grew up in really was much about IRA bombing campaigns, mass unemployment and the USSR than it was about Zammo and Rowland. Not to mention alternative comedy and wall-to-wall snooker...

Of course TV was much better 20+ years ago - there were only 4 channels - at most - to choose from (and I'm not sure Channel 4 had children's programmes). Now, there are so many channels the quality is spread far too thin, including far more dedicated children's programming.

I'm also of the opinion that its far too much aiming for the lowest common denominator.
2014 DDP Team (Time's-up team): John Bardon; Dora Bryan; Emile Ford; Valery Giscard d’Estaing; John Glenn; Eldon Griffiths; Bernard Haitink; Gerald Harper; Buck Henry (Joker); Patricia Knatchbull; Francis Matthews; Sheila Mercier; Les Munro; Pete Murray; I. M. Pei; Dudley Simpson; Nobby Stiles; Joseph Wapner; Peter Wyngarde; Jimmy Young.

2014 DDP Theme Team (...and its goodnight from him etc): Ronald Atkins, Ron Brown, Ronnie Carroll; Ronald Chesney, Ronnie Walter Cunningham, Ronnie Dawson, Ron Ely, Ronald Baron Fearn, Ron Flowers, Ronnie Gilbert, Ronald Harwood, Ronald Hines, Ron Isley, Ronnie Masterson, Ronnie Moore, Ronald Pellar, Ronnie Ronalde, Ron Smith, Ronald Stevenson, Ron Suart (Joker)

2014 DDP Theme Team (Roger and Out): Roger Alton, Roger Angell, Sir Roger Bannister, Roger Cook, Roger Corman, Roger Daltrey, Roger Dimmock, Roger Etchegaray, Sir Roger Moore, Sir Roger Norrington, Sir Roger Penrose(Joker), Roger Protz, Roger Sainsbury, Roger Sloman, Roger Smith, Roger Spottiswood, Roger Squires, Roger Staubach, Roger Taylor, Roger Whitaker

Deathrace 2014 Team: Billy Graham (Joker), Ethel Lang, Javier Perez De Cuellar, Efrem Zimbalist Jr., Vera Lynn,Kirk Douglas, Al Molinaro, Dora Bryan, John Glenn, Gerald Harper, Patricia Knatchbull, Francis Matthews, Sheila Mercier, Les Munro, Buck Henry, I. M. Pei, Joseph Wapner, Jimmy Young, Wojtech Jaruszelski, Doris Day

2014 Hartlepool Deadlypool Team: Rev Billy Graham, Ethel Lang, Javier Perez De Cuellar, Carl Reiner, Efrem Zimbalist Jr., Vera Lynn, Kirk Douglas, Maximilian Schell, Al Molinaro, BB King. Subs: Doris Day, Wojciech Jaruzelski

I have CDO. It's like OCD except the letters are in alphabetical order, as they should be.

#150 Spade_Cooley

Rich Homie Quantick

• Members
  • 2,662 posts

Posted 24 February 2012 - 09:57 PM

I will stand up for a lot of lowest common denominator TV, but the truth is Britain does LCD really, really poorly. No British reality show has ever come close to the schadenfreude excellence of My Super Sweet 16, the catty bitchiness of Next, or the improv effortlessness of the first few series of Jersey Shor. All three shows are as dumb as a box of nails/Andy "The Hammer" Hamilton, but they have an effortless entertainment about them. What are the... not even great, acceptable British trash TV shows? Take Me Out is key as a guilty pleasure, Snog Marry Avoid has its moments but other than that... there's probably not been a key British reality show since George Galloway was pretending to be a cat.

#151 Toast

Sanctuary Seller

• Members
  • 1,601 posts

Posted 25 February 2012 - 01:30 AM

I don't watch television any more. The beginning of the end came when someone gave me a digibox because he was getting Sky. I then found that there was too much crap to choose from, and it became too much of a chore to sort through it all. I could cope with 5 (well, 4½ channels), but I just can't be arsed with it now. If I find I've missed something decent, I can watch it on catch-up. But I don't bother much.
DDP teams:
If I'm Spared Myself, Of Course
Toast of the Turf
Nearer My God To Thee

#152 Banshees Scream

Dwarf tosser

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,416 posts

Posted 26 February 2012 - 05:33 AM

I will stand up for a lot of lowest common denominator TV, but the truth is Britain does LCD really, really poorly. No British reality show has ever come close to the schadenfreude excellence of My Super Sweet 16, the catty bitchiness of Next, or the improv effortlessness of the first few series of Jersey Shor. All three shows are as dumb as a box of nails/Andy "The Hammer" Hamilton, but they have an effortless entertainment about them. What are the... not even great, acceptable British trash TV shows? Take Me Out is key as a guilty pleasure, Snog Marry Avoid has its moments but other than that... there's probably not been a key British reality show since George Galloway was pretending to be a cat.

It's that you know about it. I guess I'm detached, I don't know.

I'm not in the NBA.

#153 the_engineer

The Alpha & The Omega

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,374 posts

Posted 26 February 2012 - 11:43 PM

View PostToast, on 25 February 2012 - 01:30 AM, said:

I don't watch television any more. The beginning of the end came when someone gave me a digibox because he was getting Sky. I then found that there was too much crap to choose from, and it became too much of a chore to sort through it all. I could cope with 5 (well, 4½ channels), but I just can't be arsed with it now. If I find I've missed something decent, I can watch it on catch-up. But I don't bother much.

Haven't watched TV since 2008 and i don't miss it one bit I only use my TV for computer games or DVDs. To be fair I do watch the odd football match live on terrestrial TV or big news event other than that i have the internet.

In my case the internet really did kill off the television.
I don't believe in coincidences

Basketball was invented in 1987 by konami.

genesis 22 16 - 18

DDP 2014 - Sovereign-Reaper

wilko johnsonPosted Image , joost van der westhuizen ,George h.w bush , sam simon , valerie harper , Kate Granger , Katherine Crowe , wojcech jaruzelski ,Sally Farmiloe , Clive James , Billy Graham , Tony Benn , Zsa Zsa Gabor , Vera lynn , Kirk Douglas , Saif Gaddafi , Superstar Billy Graham ,Stuart Hall , Fats Domino ,Isabel Peron.

Hartlepool Deadlypool 2014

Billy Graham
Wojcech Jaruzelski
Wilko Johnson
Sam Simon
Joost Van Der Westhuizen
Valerie Harper
Kate Granger
Sally Farmiloe
Katherine Crowe
Clive James

subs 1) George H.W Bush 2) Rolf Harris

#154 Gunjaman5000

Assassin

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 963 posts

Posted 27 February 2012 - 02:36 AM

If I may wade in to the discussion with my customary much too little, much too late, could I add that everything was better before (with a few noteworthy exceptions, chiefly the internet). I've never worked anywhere, lived anywhere, eaten/drank/shagged anywhere that is better now than it was before. Maybe it's something to do with inherent sentimentality or an aversion to change deep inside us all, I don't know.

Unless of course no one finishes that sentence when I'm around.

"It used to be really great here before that cunt turned up..."
They burned the mother down.

#155 CarolAnn

What's the character limit?

• Members
  • 1,544 posts

Posted 03 March 2012 - 04:57 AM

I'm giving up my middle class, always better in the past, no satellite television sanity for Lent.
Whenever I feel blue, I start breathing again.

#156 Godot

In a minute

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,860 posts

Posted 15 February 2013 - 10:53 PM

I've given up pancakes.
Ring down the curtain, the farce is over

#157 Guest_Bartelli_*

• Guests

Posted 16 February 2013 - 04:30 AM

Im givin up lent, for good. And the stain on my head whenever that happens

#158 CaptainChorizo

Executioner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 645 posts

Posted 16 February 2013 - 04:56 AM

As an Agnostic I am not sure if I am giving anything up or not. Could go either way.
DDP Teams 2014

Heading Nowhere
1Joker Sam Simon 2. Daisy Berkowitz 3.Billy Graham 4.Wilko Johnson 5.Ritchii Kara 6.Sally Farmiloe 7.Andrew Madoff 8.Kate Granger 9.Joe McGinniss 10.Katherine Crowe 11.Pete Way 12.Albert Reynolds 13.Jack Ramsay 14.David Norris 15.Valerie Harper 16.Joost van der Westhuizen 17.Clive James 18.Pat Rice 19.Michael Schumacher 20.Darren Daulton

Theme teams
Last Picture Show(Film Directors)
Joker Seijun Suzuki 2.Jonas Mekas 3.Ib Melchior 4.Bernardo Bertolucci 5.Manoel de Oliveira 6.Gabriel Axel 7.Lewis Gilbert 8.Lina Wertmuller 9.Michael Anderson 10.Miklos Jancso 11.Franco Zeffirelli 12.Alain Resnais 13.Lee Grant 14.Tinto Brass 15.Andrew V. McLaglen 16.Adolfo Aristarian 17.Vojtech Jasny 18.Andrejz Wadja 19.Francesco Rosi 20.Arthur Hiller
45 Is The New 80(45 and under)
Joker Ritchii Kara 2.Kate Granger 3.Kristen Hallenga 4.Joost Van der Westhuizen 5.Katherine Crowe 6.Chasey Lain 7.Chyna 8. Real
9.Tito Vilanova 10.Shifty Shellshock 11.Gheorghe Muresan 12.Nadezhda Tolokonnikova 13.Gabe Nevins 14.Jenna Jameson 15.Jael Strauss 16.:Asma al-Assad 17.Jen Arnold 18.Nick Stahl 19.Lil Wayne 20.Rosa Mendes

#159 CarolAnn

What's the character limit?

• Members
  • 1,544 posts

Posted 17 February 2013 - 04:32 AM

Sanity. I figure it's best to just go with the flow.
Whenever I feel blue, I start breathing again.

#160 Lord Fellatio Nelson

Post twunt

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,051 posts

Posted 17 February 2013 - 11:52 AM

View PostCarolAnn, on 17 February 2013 - 04:32 AM, said:

Sanity. I figure it's best to just go with the flow.
It is CA, its so much easier to drift than to try and power yourself forwards against that constant flow.
Fuck it, i say, whats the worst that can happen? We Live, we breathe, we stop breathing, we die.
Nowt complicated in that, right?
2014 Hartlepool Deadly Pool Team: The Wankers Arms PH
Candidates:
Olivia De Havilland
Carol Channing
Eli Wallach
Kirk Douglas
Jimmy Hill
Luise Ranier
Abe Vigoda
Paul Gascoigne
Clifton James