200 replies to this topic

#141 Phantom

uber twunt

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,443 posts

Posted 16 March 2008 - 02:57 AM

View PostLisandro, on Mar 16 2008, 02:46 AM, said:

Laughing at death (even if someone else) is a way of defending from the anxiety its sole mention provokes... as well as the hell of a lot of fun when it's about someone else!!! :lol:

By the way, this still-alive-and-kicking great anthropologist is NOT 100 years old. He is 99, since he was born on Nov 28, 1908. http://en.wikipedia....de_Levi_Strauss

How to fix this on the list?

The age on the list is correct. It's how old that person will be this year, not how old they currently are.

#142 Guest_Richard Walker_*

• Guests

Posted 02 May 2008 - 05:09 PM

According to sources of French press the health conditions of Claude Lévi-Strauss are very critical. The death of Mr. Lévi-Strauss can be announce next days or weeks.

#143 Canadian Paul

uber twunt

• Members
  • 4,132 posts

Posted 02 May 2008 - 05:35 PM

View PostRichard Walker, on May 2 2008, 12:09 PM, said:

According to sources of French press the health conditions of Claude Lévi-Strauss are very critical. The death of Mr. Lévi-Strauss can be announce next days or weeks.

BS sez Google News French.
Twunt Master Series (August 2007 - January 2008) (January 2008 - June 2008) (July 2008 - April 2009) (April 2009 - January 2010)

Uber Twunt Series (January 2010 - ?)

I still owe NAP

#144 Guest_Guest_*

• Guests

Posted 02 May 2008 - 10:08 PM

View PostCanadian Paul, on May 2 2008, 05:35 PM, said:

The death od Levi-Strauss will represent a significant loss to academic world. In my opinion, Claude Levi-Strauss is the most prominent anthropologist of 20th century.

#145 Octopus of Odstock

Post twunt

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,836 posts

Posted 02 May 2008 - 10:12 PM

View PostCanadian Paul, on May 2 2008, 06:35 PM, said:

Well done CP, but this guy has been making these comments for about a year & a half now & they're about as successful as iain's were (and come to think of it, mine, considering my brighty & breezy Sir Anthony Mamo will live for ever post...).

Guest, I am sure the world will cope with his death just tickety-boo.

#146 Guest_Guest_*

• Guests

Posted 04 May 2008 - 04:17 AM

I found this interesting article from French prestigious newspaper Le Monde. Claude Levi-Strauss seems be frail. I guess the death of Levi-Strauss is very close.

http://av.rds.yahoo.com/_ylt=A0Je5XOQNh1IX...ee/249/0/240618

#147 Guest_Guest_*

• Guests

Posted 04 May 2008 - 04:27 AM

This article was published in Le Point Magazine.

#148 Octopus of Odstock

Post twunt

• Members
  • 3,836 posts

Posted 04 May 2008 - 09:45 AM

View PostGuest, on May 4 2008, 05:17 AM, said:

I found this interesting article from French prestigious newspaper Le Monde. Claude Levi-Strauss seems be frail. I guess the death of Levi-Strauss is very close.

Listen, you idiot, it doesn't say that at all & it also dispels all the other rumours previously that C L-S had a condition that meant he couldn't go out "because his death was very close" and he was "very ill".

"On November 28, Claude Lévi-Strauss will be 100 years old. And on May 2, he has chosen seven large texts, of his revolutionary work which will adorn the "Pleiad". Until October 2007, Claude Lévi-Strauss continued to go twice per week to his office of the laboratory of social anthropology to the College of France. The access is not easy; it is necessary to take a small spiral staircase. This office dominates the library of research and a broad window opens on the young researchers who work there. The Master contemplates them and they contemplate the Master."

I couldn't see a thing in there about being frail. I know there are better French speakers (Indeed, we have three members who live in France) than me on here, but even I can work out the general gist. I don't mind a bit of speculation but rumours which aren't true are profoundly irritating.
Is he old? Yes. Will he die? Possibly - people of that age can just go like that (a la Mamo). But is he so ill that his life is hanging by a thread?
Well, considering he is selecting texts for an exhibition & was going to work up a steep spiral staircase twice a week, I'd say no.

and besides, if you look at the posts above (including the very similiar sounding post), C L-S has apparently been in "complete reclusion in the last few years". Really? The article above blows that theory away too.

God, I hate wind-up merchants. This kind of bull-sh*t has been posted since 2006 & enough is enough.

Sorry, that's my rant for the day. Move along, nothing to see here.

#149 Guest_Jean-Paul Sartre_*

• Guests

Posted 04 May 2008 - 04:38 PM

View PostOctopus of Odstock, on May 4 2008, 09:45 AM, said:

View PostGuest, on May 4 2008, 05:17 AM, said:

Listen, you idiot, it doesn't say that at all & it also dispels all the other rumours previously that C L-S had a condition that meant he couldn't go out "because his death was very close" and he was "very ill".

"On November 28, Claude Lévi-Strauss will be 100 years old. And on May 2, he has chosen seven large texts, of his revolutionary work which will adorn the "Pleiad". Until October 2007, Claude Lévi-Strauss continued to go twice per week to his office of the laboratory of social anthropology to the College of France. The access is not easy; it is necessary to take a small spiral staircase. This office dominates the library of research and a broad window opens on the young researchers who work there. The Master contemplates them and they contemplate the Master."

I couldn't see a thing in there about being frail. I know there are better French speakers (Indeed, we have three members who live in France) than me on here, but even I can work out the general gist. I don't mind a bit of speculation but rumours which aren't true are profoundly irritating.
Is he old? Yes. Will he die? Possibly - people of that age can just go like that (a la Mamo). But is he so ill that his life is hanging by a thread?
Well, considering he is selecting texts for an exhibition & was going to work up a steep spiral staircase twice a week, I'd say no.

and besides, if you look at the posts above (including the very similiar sounding post), C L-S has apparently been in "complete reclusion in the last few years". Really? The article above blows that theory away too.

God, I hate wind-up merchants. This kind of bull-sh*t has been posted since 2006 & enough is enough.

Sorry, that's my rant for the day. Move along, nothing to see here.

Mr. Octopus, you is a fool. I never said Mr. Levi-Strauss has a terminal disease. I said only Levi-Strauss' health is declining last years. This eminent anthropologist hasn't given interviews since 2005. Besides, some influential members of French Academy has declared Mr. Levi-Strauss must die very soon. I don't write at this forum because you. I don't give a damn to your opinions.

#150 Guest_Guest_*

• Guests

Posted 04 May 2008 - 06:19 PM

And on May 2, he has chosen seven large texts, of his revolutionary work which will adorn the "Pleiad". Until October 2007, Claude Lévi-Strauss continued to go twice per week to his office of the laboratory of social anthropology to the College of France.

Claude Levi-Strauss hasn't attended to the French Academy and the Collège de France last months due to his poor health.

#151 Octopus of Odstock

Post twunt

• Members
  • 3,836 posts

Posted 04 May 2008 - 09:46 PM

View PostJean-Paul Sartre, on May 4 2008, 05:38 PM, said:

Mr. Octopus, you is a fool. I never said Mr. Levi-Strauss has a terminal disease. I said only Levi-Strauss' health is declining last years. This eminent anthropologist hasn't given interviews since 2005. Besides, some influential members of French Academy has declared Mr. Levi-Strauss must die very soon. I don't write at this forum because you. I don't give a damn to your opinions.

If you are at the French Academy, then you must know it is: -You ARE a fool.

You IS a fool sounds like this man:-
Posted Image

:angry:

If you read as well as you claim to think, please take look at your posts above, you DID indeed say CLS has a terminal disease - Parkinson's. You said he was immobile & hadn't been out since 2005. Just read the posts on this & the last page. Can't be much a fool if I can read & you can't? :P
Not giving interviews is not a sign of imminent death. Van Johnson hasn't given interviews for nearly 25 years but he's still around, metal head 'n' all.

Besides, some influential members of French Academy has declared Mr. Levi-Strauss must die very soon.

Blimey! That's thanks for you. Bloody Frenchies, always killing their own. ;) Well if they want him dead so much, why don't they just get on with it? Can't take that much to overcome an apparently near-death 99 year old with Parkinson's who doesn't go out. Maybe they can grease the spiral staircase... :angry:

I declare Heather Mills must die very soon but what I want & what I get are two complete different things.

Besides, why only respond to me & not to Canadian Paul (sorry CP) saying you were bullshitting?

#152 Canadian Paul

uber twunt

• Members
  • 4,132 posts

Posted 04 May 2008 - 09:56 PM

View PostOctopus of Odstock, on May 4 2008, 04:46 PM, said:

Besides, why only respond to me & not to Canadian Paul (sorry CP) saying you were bullshitting?

Hey hey, don't get me involved in this. Vive le Quebec libre!!!!

Posted Image

:angry:
Twunt Master Series (August 2007 - January 2008) (January 2008 - June 2008) (July 2008 - April 2009) (April 2009 - January 2010)

Uber Twunt Series (January 2010 - ?)

I still owe NAP

#153 Octopus of Odstock

Post twunt

• Members
  • 3,836 posts

Posted 04 May 2008 - 10:13 PM

On that note, why is C L-S not in the Belgian Academy, considering he is one of them?

Is it because he wasn't good enough for them or because there isn't one? Answers on a postcard please...
(I mean Monoclinic, there must be some academy for Belgians? Surely Belgium's finest minds are not being nicked by the French as their own all the time? Scandalous if so.....)

Oh, I just re-read the whole thread. Our emiment guest said C L-S death was "very close" in November 2005. About as close as Belgium will get to being a world superpower....

Actually this makes the thread a bit more interesting because the man himself is even more boring than Ingmar Bergman. He looks like he could do with a good night out on the pull.

Sorry, I'm being silly now. Demob happy.

#154 Guest_Jean-Paul Sartre_*

• Guests

Posted 05 May 2008 - 01:38 AM

Octopus,
I comitted a evident lapse when putted "is" after "you". Claude Levi-Strauss is a French citizen. He is born in Brussels, but his parents were French. Claude Levi-Strauss is a distinguished member of the French Academy since 1973. He succeed the French prominent writer Henry de Montherlant in the French Academy. Mr. Levi-Strauss has suffered from Parkinson's disease for the last years, unfortunetaly. Parkinson's is a progressive disease. The fight of Pope John Paul II against Parkinson's disease lasted more than 10 years.

#155 Guest_Jean-Paul Sartre_*

• Guests

Posted 05 May 2008 - 01:41 AM

Correction: Claude Levi-Strauss was born in Brussels.

#156 Guest_sarah_*

• Guests

Posted 09 September 2008 - 07:49 PM

Does anyone know the best place to get credible info mr levi-strauss's state I have him in a "snuff club" and the kitty is approximatly £800!!!
;)

#157 halleluyahjohntudor

Bomber

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 207 posts

Posted 10 September 2008 - 09:58 PM

View Postsarah, on Sep 9 2008, 08:49 PM, said:

Does anyone know the best place to get credible info mr levi-strauss's state
:crossbone:

Not here, evidently

#158 InquilineKea

Hatchet man

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 64 posts

Posted 28 November 2008 - 12:57 AM

It's his 100th birthday today but there aren't any English articles mentioning it. I ran the French ones through Google Translate and got at this:

AFP: L'Académie française honore son centenaire, Claude Lévi-Strauss
http://news.google.com/news?sourceid=navcl...86085&hl=fr
Recherche Google :
http://translate.google.com/translate?u=ht...p;ie=ISO-8859-1
Translated version of http://www.latribune.fr/culture/livres-bd/...euse-fete-.html
http://translate.google.com/translate?u=ht...p;ie=ISO-8859-1
Translated version of http://www.letemps.ch/template/culture.asp...;article=244939
http://translate.google.com/translate?u=ht...=1&ie=UTF-8
Translated version of http://www.24heures.ch/actu/claude-levi-st...aire-2008-11-26

==
so basically all that I can ascertain is that he "recently" said "if I am still alive it is only accidentally" and that he didnt attend the celebrations in honor of his 100th birthday. so I dont even know if he's still aware or not; of whether or not he's close to death now.

#159 Guest_Michael S Collins_*

• Guests

Posted 28 November 2008 - 02:28 AM

Well, as far as I am aware, the man is still working in Paris about once a week which suggests he's not doing too badly.

Mind you, at 100, he's closer to death than he is his pension age. But still, a great milestone.

Happy birthday to the man.

#160 Guest_Guest_*

• Guests

Posted 28 November 2008 - 05:54 AM

I guess Claude Lévi-Strauss is near of death. There aren't any recent interviews or images of him. Besides, Lévi-Strauss didn't attend to meeting at French Academy that paid tribute to him.

Reply to this topic

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users