Claude Levi-Strauss Ancient anthropologist

200 replies to this topic

#1 Grim Reaper

Post-Twunt

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,239 posts

Posted 28 November 2003 - 01:57 PM

I note that Prof Claude Levi-Strauss is celebrating his 95th birthday today.

He was on the 2002 list but I think he deserves another chance for 2004. In all the years of Deathlist we've never successfully picked an anthropologist so I reckon its about time we got one!

Oh and hes French too - so thats a bonus! B)

#2 Guest_Theo_*

• Guests

Posted 05 July 2004 - 12:00 AM

Sandwiched inbetween that lot? He has to be soon

#3 Paul Bearer

Zombie Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,257 posts

Posted 04 August 2004 - 07:40 PM

Claude must be brickin' it by now
This is true my form is something odd,
But blaming me is blaming God;
Could I create myself anew
I would not fail in pleasing you.

#4 Guest_Four Donkeys of the Apocolypse_*

• Guests

Posted 09 August 2004 - 06:40 PM

A most interesting link and twist it would appear.

http://www.uccla.ca/...Articles/14.htm

#5 Guest_???????_*

• Guests

Posted 31 January 2005 - 05:49 PM

Notice that the old boy is written about here in the past tense, so they're not too keen on his chances...

http://www.mnsu.edu/emuseum/information/bi...uss_claude.html

#6 Dr. Gill E.Teen, Attorney At Law

Morbid interest

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9 posts

Posted 04 February 2005 - 03:50 AM

I hope I don't sound dumb for asking this but is this guy related to the Blue Jean manufacturer? Son, Brother, Nephew, or maybe he himself was involved...

this is a serious post...i really wonder <_<

:angry:
[I]They were leading a priest, a drunkard and an engineer to the guillotine. They asked the priest if he wanted to face up or down when he met his fate. The priest said that he would like to face up so he would be looking towards heaven when he died. They raised the blade of the guillotine, released it, it came speeding down and suddenly stopped just inches from his neck. The authorities took this as divine intervention and released the priest.
Next the drunkard came to the guillotine. He also decided to die face up hoping that he would be as fortunate as the priest. They raised the blade of the guillotine, released it, it came speeding down and suddenly stopped just inches from his neck. So they released the drunkard as well.
The engineer was next. He too decided to die facing up. They slowly raised the blade of the guillotine, when suddenly the engineer said, "Hey, I see what your problem is."

#7 Guest_Guest_*

• Guests

Posted 11 February 2005 - 05:09 PM

No, he´s not

#8 Guest_Gorilla_*

• Guests

Posted 05 March 2005 - 06:26 PM

Lets not forget he was also a great philosopher!
:lol:

#9 Banshees Scream

Dwarf tosser

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,443 posts

Posted 16 May 2005 - 08:38 PM

Gorilla, on Mar 5 2005, 06:26 PM, said:

Lets not forget he was also a great philosopher!
:P
And a good deathlist candidate

:P

#10 The Four Horsemen

Assassin

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 984 posts

Posted 17 May 2005 - 07:42 AM

Not yet, considering he's still alive.........
It is surely better to be pissed off than pissed on

#11 Guest_Guest_*

• Guests

Posted 14 September 2005 - 01:33 AM

Levi-Strauss is the great thinker alive.

#12 Gunjaman5000

Assassin

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 963 posts

Posted 14 September 2005 - 02:16 AM

Guest, on Sep 14 2005, 01:33 AM, said:

Levi-Strauss is the great thinker alive.
Here's another great thinker alive, Martha.
Not a hell of a many members in that club but crickey, you wanna see the parties... ;)
They burned the mother down.

#13 Guest_David_*

• Guests

Posted 06 October 2005 - 04:22 PM

Well, I wish he would live one hundred more years and that all of you woulld have the intelligence to read his wonderful books. The problem with most of you is that you consider knowledge as a hobby for the freaks...When the time of your death will come, you may finally understand that you knew nothing, that you totally wasted your lifes, unlike this great thinker who was humble enough to gather wisdom from the common man.
Consequently, I wait with great impatience to YOUR deaths, all of you, may it be swift and soon, you miserable dorks

#14 Boudicca

Stealth-mode addict

• Moderators
  • 1,242 posts

Posted 06 October 2005 - 04:32 PM

David, on Oct 6 2005, 04:22 PM, said:

Consequently, I wait with great impatience to YOUR deaths, all of you, may it be swift and soon..
That's a new one. We're usually wished long, slow, painful deaths.

Swift demises, and moderators being accused of being childish is all too much change for me. It's not the forum I once knew and loved.
Valar morghulis.

#15 Magere Hein

Film land, Homer!

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,730 posts

Posted 06 October 2005 - 04:35 PM

David, on Oct 6 2005, 06:22 PM, said:

The problem with most of you is that you consider knowledge as a hobby for the freaks...
I suppose that makes me one of the freaks, then. Thank you, I'll wear the appellation as a badge of honour

When the time of your death will come, you may finally understand that you knew nothing, that you totally wasted your lifes, unlike this great thinker who was humble enough to gather wisdom from the common man.
I can't say I've read much by Levi-Straus, but I'm sure that he, at the end of his life, is fully aware of the fact that he still knows next to nothing. This in contrast to some self-appointed do-gooders who think they know it all and make themselves ridiculous by writing stupidities like:

Consequently, I wait with great impatience to YOUR deaths, all of you, may it be swift and soon, you miserable dorks

Happy waiting,
Hein
DDP 2014 team The Grey Horde:
King Abdullah of Saudi Arabia, Ayman al-Zawahiri, Lys Assia, Sister Wendy Beckett, Ryan Buell Posted Image,Jacques Chirac, Felix Dennis, Aretha Franklin, Ruth Bader Ginsburg, Marilyn Horne, Clive James, General Wojciech Jaruzelski, Wilko Johnson, Helmut Kohl, Joseph Kony, Misao Okawa, Bernie Madoff, Robert Mugabe, Julie Newmar, Michael Schumacher

DDP 2014 theme team Minions of Xuleneb:
King Albert II, Princess Beatrix, Prince Bernhard jr, Elco Brinkman, Corry Brokken, Dick Bruna, Raymond Ceulemans, Godfried Danneels, Piet de Jong, Mark Eyskens, Queen Fabiola Of Belgium Posted Image, Jan Janssen, Grand Duke Jean I of Luxembourg, Wubbo Ockels, Fernando Ricksen, Kees Rijvers, Wim Ruska, Toots Thielemans, Martinus J. G. Veltman, Geert Wilders

#16 in eternum+

Post-Twunt

• Members
  • 1,229 posts

Posted 06 October 2005 - 05:09 PM

David, on Oct 6 2005, 12:22 PM, said:

Well, I wish he would live one hundred more years and that all of you woulld have the intelligence to read his wonderful books. The problem with most of you is that you consider knowledge as a hobby for the freaks...When the time of your death will come, you may finally understand that you knew nothing, that you totally wasted your lifes, unlike this great thinker who was humble enough to gather wisdom from the common man.
What makes you think we haven't read his wonderful books?

In fact, I reckon that as a structural anthropologist, ol' Claude would probably love this site, if he doesn't already. Besides, I don't think he's published anything since '95, so unless he's cosseted away researching something new and exciting, what good will another hundred years do?
Proud to be Old Skool

#17 football_fan

I have no life

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,617 posts

Posted 06 October 2005 - 05:26 PM

Your argument does not hold any weight. The author of a book does not have to be alive for one to read and enjoy his or her books. Many people enjoy reading books written by Charles Dickens and Ernest Hemingway, even though they have been dead for many years.

David, you are the person who is miserable, not us. You are the only one that is complaining. For future rants, please post here.
"A jury consists of twelve people who determine which client has the better lawyer".
- Robert Frost

#18 in eternum+

Post-Twunt

• Members
  • 1,229 posts

Posted 06 October 2005 - 05:38 PM

I'd just like to take this opportunity to use my 100th post to send Claude my best, and to thank him in advance for his expected support in the next few months.

YOU'RE A SUPAHSTAH!!
Proud to be Old Skool

#19 Banshees Scream

Dwarf tosser

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,443 posts

Posted 07 October 2005 - 06:31 PM

Hmm Claude Levi Strauss..

#20 Guest_JAMES LEE_*

• Guests

Posted 07 October 2005 - 06:36 PM

CLAUDE LÉVI-STRAUSS HAVE A HEALTH WEAK. HIS LIFE IS NEAR OF END.

[Shouting considered to be quite amusing in this case- Boudicca]

Reply to this topic

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users