Crispy

Saddam Hussein

Guest That Unregistered Bloke

From AOL news...

Saddam's defence team are apparently preparing an appeal. Saddam still faces further trials over a number of other alleged crimes.

More trials for Saddam? How many times are they thinking of executing him?

Saddam's got the death sentence - as has Awad Hama Badar Albandar and Barzan Ibrahim Al-Hasan Al-Tiriti, all three to be hanged - next question is when? Its 30 days for all appeals to be heard, so it looks a close call for those like me who are waiting for points this year.

Saddam is requesting death by firing squad; that should give us some indication of how hopeful he is of a successful appeal.

Saddam's got the death sentence - as has Awad Hama Badar Albandar and Barzan Ibrahim Al-Hasan Al-Tiriti, all three to be hanged - next question is when? Its 30 days for all appeals to be heard, so it looks a close call for those like me who are waiting for points this year.

No, it's not quite 30 days from now.

In Iraqi law, guilty verdicts on murder charges are automatically sent within 10 days to a nine-judge appellate chamber, no matter who the defendant is. It can take as little as 20 days for the appeal to be heard. If a death sentence is upheld, it must be carried out within 30 days, and Iraq's tripartite presidency must sign the execution papers.

It is also unclear whether Saddam can be executed before the Anfal trial concludes.

What with all the delays so far in this circus, I don't think anyone who's picked any of these guys in 2006, will get points, unless, of course, they do a Hermann Goering & cheat the gallows.

If they don't, everyone has 3 candidates at the top of their DDP list for 2007.

I will have to rearrange my 2007 potential ddp list to take this into account. For deathlist though, Saddam Hussein should be strongly considered for next year.

Isn't there some kind of unofficial deathlist rule that states that those sentenced to death cannot go oon the list?

If so I suggest we use the a loop-hole such as Hussein's lawyers claiming that he will die of natural causes before the execution comes round...

That all depends on whether the death certificate states (9mm) lead poisoning as COD, instead of a hail of bullets from the (requested) firing squad.

The death sentence on these three makes a bit of a mockery of next year's deadpools since inclusion of all three will be a steal for eveyone who lists them. I think all should be excluded, as should all official executions. It's not real life death.

If they don't, everyone has 3 candidates at the top of their DDP list for 2007.

I can see at least one of those 3 cheating the hangman and suiciding.

I'm sure they'll be executed in '07, the Americans wouldn't want to pull out of Iraq with Saddam and chums still breathing.

The death sentence on these three makes a bit of a mockery of next year's deadpools since inclusion of all three will be a steal for eveyone who lists them. I think all should be excluded, as should all official executions. It's not real life death.

I know what you mean. It feels too easy, almost wrong.

I'm certainly having trouble with who I leave out as a result of adding these three, and Asahara and possibly Mirza Tahir Hussain too.

But the thing is, whilst in a sense it does go against the spirit of the whole thing, you can't not include them as you'd miss out on points.

On the other hand though, I'd sleep easier at night if I chose Barzan Al-Tikriti on my DDP then I would if I chose Steve Prescott (very ill 31 yr old rugby player) from a conscience point of view, at the very least.

Saddam is requesting death by firing squad; that should give us some indication of how hopeful he is of a successful appeal.

Did Herman Goering not make the same request, only to be refused and slipped a cyanide capsule?

Excellent.

I assume Messrs Bush and Blair will be next in line for the firing squad, having killed slightly more people probably more horribly and senselessly than Saddam ever did. Admittedly they were only foreigners though.

That is probably a bit excessive. The Iran-Iraq war alone created near-on 900,000 casulties.

Unless you are going on some of the outrageous figures coming out of Iraq from the medical lot that 33 per cent of the population have been killed in the past month, or whatever they are peddling at the moment :rolleyes:

On the basis that

a. the crime he has been found guilty of occured in 1982

and

b. he was being armed by the UK Government at the time

Thatcher is also implicated and therefore should be hung from her scrawny neck until dead too.

And yes, Goering did request a firing squad on the basis that was how soldiers should be executed. The Nurenburg Court thought otherwise.

On the basis that

a. the crime he has been found guilty of occured in 1982

and

b. he was being armed by the UK Government at the time

Thatcher is also implicated and therefore should be hung from her scrawny neck until dead too.

Quite.

It just goes to show the arbitrary nature of things.

And what a bunch of bloody hypocrites we all are.

But the thing is, whilst in a sense it does go against the spirit of the whole thing, you can't not include them as you'd miss out on points.

Is that what it's all about? Points? Is that why we're here? Do I go to bed at night dreaming of points? No Octo my friend, I'm dreaming, like you, of the William Franklyns of this world, the long forgotten "sleeper" celebrity, ideally someone everyone has heard of, but that unique pick who makes everyone else exclaim "why didn't I think of him?" when he expires creating a little shimmer of satisfaction and delight for one cintilienth of your day. That's the joy of deathlisting.

Saddam, pah!

Me included!

Is this Karl Rove's 'October Surprise' (albeit in November) which he was boasting about? :rolleyes:

Now they will finally hang him! Selection number 1 on Deathlist 2007 belongs to Saddam Hussein...

It was reported in a British newspaper that he is likely going to be hung by Christmas.

Probably best for everyone if this is true. It will solve alot of DDP problems of selection morality (if there is such a thing).

Is that what it's all about? Points? Is that why we're here? Do I go to bed at night dreaming of points? No Octo my friend, I'm dreaming, like you, of the William Franklyns of this world, the long forgotten "sleeper" celebrity, ideally someone everyone has heard of, but that unique pick who makes everyone else exclaim "why didn't I think of him?" when he expires creating a little shimmer of satisfaction and delight for one cintilienth of your day. That's the joy of deathlisting.

Saddam, pah!

That's what I'm torn with now.

I've got a fair few candidates that fall in that category, and I really, really want to enter a team that is different, but could be successful. But at the same time, I don't want to finish last if I can help it.

Of course, the appeal may yet reduce the sentences to imprisonment (or to be really controversial acquittal :rolleyes: ).

The other thing though, is if everyone adds these three in, it may actually produce more unique picks as I'm sure there's celebrities on the periphery of a DDP list who, normally, would get two/three teams choosing them, but with these three, braver people may find they are alone in picking them.

Some tough decisions ahead at OOO Towers.

Excellent.

I assume Messrs Bush and Blair will be next in line for the firing squad, having killed slightly more people probably more horribly and senselessly than Saddam ever did. Admittedly they were only foreigners though.

Well, Bush goes on and on about being a Texan and having Texas values.....we punish mass murderers with death by lethal injection........

I'm sticking with Saddam - if he and his associates are hanged B4 2007,

then I (and others) snaffle the points in the DDP and leaving everyone else

thinking what might have been.

Besides, if you're making room for three certs, that's less room for possible deaths

in the year ahead that might go anyway....

Saddam, pah!

That's what I'm torn with now.

I've got a fair few candidates that fall in that category, and I really, really want to enter a team that is different, but could be successful. But at the same time, I don't want to finish last if I can help it.

Of course, the appeal may yet reduce the sentences to imprisonment (or to be really controversial acquittal :rolleyes: ).

The other thing though, is if everyone adds these three in, it may actually produce more unique picks as I'm sure there's celebrities on the periphery of a DDP list who, normally, would get two/three teams choosing them, but with these three, braver people may find they are alone in picking them.

Some tough decisions ahead at OOO Towers.

It's all about the points as far as I'm concerened, not much point in entering a competition if you're not really trying to win.

The question is will the other two get obituaries of their own right?

Surely all the attention will be on Saddam.

Doesn't it count, via DDP definition of an "obituary," if they are mentioned in Sadaam's obit?

Barzan would, probably.

The judge, whatshisface would be mentioned as part of the trial - I think, DDP anyway, it's not an obit per se, but a mention that they have died:- which surely the BBC would do.

TF, if only bloody Papon, del Toro, Gerald Ford and Gloria bloody Stuart would die, I would have no conundrum. :rolleyes:

Barzan would, probably.

The judge, whatshisface would be mentioned as part of the trial - I think, DDP anyway, it's not an obit per se, but a mention that they have died:- which surely the BBC would do.

TF, if only bloody Papon, del Toro, Gerald Ford and Gloria bloody Stuart would die, I would have no conundrum. :rolleyes:

Sounds like you're spolit for choice OoO... :o

I reckon the judge could be worth a punt. He is probably not famous enough for an obit, but I don't rate his survival chances very highly.