- - - - -

Max Schmeling Hitler's Boxer (or maybe not)

319 replies to this topic

#61 Guest_th@lug@_*

• Guests

Posted 04 February 2005 - 10:25 AM

max has passed away. they just said it on the radio.
and he was not hitler's boxer!
r.i.p.

#62 Guest_janKG_*

• Guests

Posted 04 February 2005 - 11:05 AM

Max Schmeling is dead.

Now could you please remove this silly job-description, that he was Hitler's Boxer. He definitely was NOT.
Neither was he a Nazi or anything near it. In fact he always refused to join the Nazi party, and protected Jews from the Nazi regime.

If you don't believe me, I recommend you to read the (unfortunately very short) article on Wikipedia: http://en.wikipedia....i/Max_Schmeling, especially the passage "Incorrectly branded as a Nazi".

Have a nie day (or maybe not).

#63 Tuber Mirum

Relic of the Golden Age

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,194 posts

Posted 04 February 2005 - 11:14 AM

This is true, I have just checked in the German news. Has there been a British Obit yet?
/edit
The BBC sport page has it on the latest news ticker.

#64 football_fan

I have no life

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,617 posts

Posted 04 February 2005 - 11:17 AM

I just saw a report on the Internet that Max Schmeling has in fact died. It looks like we have got our first hit for 2005.

German boxing legend Max Schmeling dies

The report is also on the bbc website
"A jury consists of twelve people who determine which client has the better lawyer".
- Robert Frost

#65 janKG

Morbid interest

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6 posts

Posted 04 February 2005 - 11:21 AM

Hello again.

To sum up, the newest information about Max Schmeling's death:

Schmeling died on Wednesday, February 2 2005 at 15:55. He fell into a coma 3 days before and didn't awake again. He incured a bad cold around Christmas and didn't recover.
He was buried today next to his wife.
The memorial service will be held around February, 22 in Hamburg.

#66 football_fan

I have no life

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,617 posts

Posted 04 February 2005 - 11:30 AM

Notapotato, on Feb 4 2005, 06:14 AM, said:

This is true, I have just checked in the German news. Has there been a British Obit yet?
/edit
The BBC sport page has it on the latest news ticker.
His orbituary is now on the bbc website

Obituary: Max Schmeling
"A jury consists of twelve people who determine which client has the better lawyer".
- Robert Frost

#67 Guest_One Man Jury_*

• Guests

Posted 04 February 2005 - 11:36 AM

One nil!

Well, Max has been boxed again - in a different sort of way, of course.

#68 VSBfromH

I Need To Get A Life!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,834 posts

Posted 04 February 2005 - 12:19 PM

He won't be schmeling very nice soon, then!
Oh, Mickey! What's EGREGIOUS?!

#69 Guest_One Man Jury_*

• Guests

Posted 04 February 2005 - 12:19 PM

janKG, on Feb 4 2005, 11:05 AM, said:

Max Schmeling is dead.

Now could you please remove this silly job-description, that he was Hitler's Boxer. He definitely was NOT.
Neither was he a Nazi or anything near it. In fact he always refused to join the Nazi party, and protected Jews from the Nazi regime.

If you don't believe me, I recommend you to read the (unfortunately very short) article on Wikipedia: http://en.wikipedia....i/Max_Schmeling, especially the passage "Incorrectly branded as a Nazi".

Have a nie day (or maybe not).
Yeah, well of course you must be right if you read it somewhere. If you and others living on Planet Muppet read that Elvis was still alive and had been sheltered by Max Schmeling in his jock strap since 1977, you'd probably believe that too.

What you should remember is that there were no Nazis in Germany after 1945 after everyone still living there had re-written their CVs. Schmeling did very nicely for himself in post-war Germany or is that a coincidence?

If Max had felt so strongly about it, why was he fighting in Hitler's Luftwaffe? Maybe, he'd never heard of the word surrender.

#70 Guest_Kronos_*

• Guests

Posted 04 February 2005 - 12:49 PM

lol.... you should have lived in this time and you wouldnt post such a bullshit.

Max Schmeling wasn't a Nazi and it's a pity he died.

#71 Magere Hein

Film land, Homer!

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,632 posts

Posted 04 February 2005 - 01:07 PM

Kronos, on Feb 4 2005, 12:49 PM, said:

lol.... you should have lived in this time and you wouldnt post such a bullshit.

Max Schmeling wasn't a Nazi and it's a pity he died.
As has been pointed out before, Schmeling probably wasn't a Nazi, but he and his success were used by the Nazi's for propaganda purposes.

Anyway, Germany lost a legendary sportsman and DL got its first hit. One may wonder which is worse.<_<

regards,
Hein
DDP 2014 team The Grey Horde:
King Abdullah of Saudi Arabia, Ayman al-Zawahiri, Lys Assia, Sister Wendy Beckett, Ryan Buell Posted Image,Jacques Chirac, Felix Dennis, Aretha Franklin, Ruth Bader Ginsburg, Marilyn Horne, Clive James, General Wojciech Jaruzelski, Wilko Johnson, Helmut Kohl, Joseph Kony, Misao Okawa, Bernie Madoff, Robert Mugabe, Julie Newmar, Michael Schumacher

DDP 2014 theme team Minions of Xuleneb:
King Albert II, Princess Beatrix, Prince Bernhard jr, Elco Brinkman, Corry Brokken, Dick Bruna, Raymond Ceulemans, Godfried Danneels, Piet de Jong, Mark Eyskens, Queen Fabiola Of Belgium Posted Image, Jan Janssen, Grand Duke Jean I of Luxembourg, Wubbo Ockels, Fernando Ricksen, Kees Rijvers, Wim Ruska, Toots Thielemans, Martinus J. G. Veltman, Geert Wilders

#72 Tuber Mirum

Relic of the Golden Age

• Moderators
  • 3,194 posts

Posted 04 February 2005 - 01:29 PM

Speculation about whether Schmeling was a Nazi or not, must remain just that- speculation.

Only he himself knew for sure what he was, and since he is dead, we can't ask him. Unless he told someone, but they could be lying too.

Since the Deathlist is all about speculation (it's what we do best) we wouldn't be doing our job if we weren't speculating about Schmeling. Pete Doherty, or anyone else.

We just have to beware of coming to any conclusions based only on speculative evidence.

The flood of rants from angry Germans which we can now expect, will also contain no more factual evidence one way or the other than we can provide ourselves.

So enjoy.....

#73 Guest_IYG_*

• Guests

Posted 04 February 2005 - 01:53 PM

After reading the obituary and the story of him saving two Jewish children the question of wether or not he was a member of the Nazi party doesn't mean a thing, Oskar Schindler was a member of the Nazi party and look at all the good he did. People had no choice but to be a part of the party, before they could save others they needed to save themselves.

#74 Tuber Mirum

Relic of the Golden Age

• Moderators
  • 3,194 posts

Posted 04 February 2005 - 02:02 PM

Quite. He could have been a member of the Nazi Party, have saved Jewish children from death at the hands of other, bad Nazis, and also still have been Hitler's boxer (whatever that means anyway). Perhaps he collected milk-bottle tops too. Those things aren't mutually exclusive. Everyone is different. Those who lived in such difficult times, and particularly the great cannot easily be compartmentalised.

#75 Guest_El Loco_*

• Guests

Posted 04 February 2005 - 02:10 PM

What a needless and silly discussion here...
He was definitely not a nazi... no need for speculation here, just have a look
at the historical facts.

It's okay for me to make jokes about germans, but people should try to be fair.

#76 Guest_One Man Jury_*

• Guests

Posted 04 February 2005 - 02:35 PM

You just can't see it can you? If it's such a needless and silly discussion, then why are you compelled to contribute to it.

I think the whole point of this is to say something controversial, not if it's true or whether you believe it or not, and then sit back and wait for the flood of chronic replies from people like yourself who can't resist taking the bait. DOH!

#77 Tuber Mirum

Relic of the Golden Age

• Moderators
  • 3,194 posts

Posted 04 February 2005 - 02:47 PM

Tristan, on Aug 14 2004, 07:51 PM, said:

Seeing as how Schmeling and Hitler didn't get along, and he was never a Nazi, you're description of him isn't really very accurate.
Interesting to note that it was a guest who first mentioned the possibility of him being a Nazi. His Deathlist job description is "Hitler's Boxer (or maybe not)" which could be interpreted in many ways. Nowhere is he described as a Nazi. I suppose if he was a member of the NDSAP, then he could be called a Nazi or an ex-Nazi. I don't know if this was the case, but the Deathlist didn't call him one. That title is reserved for someone else.

#78 Terminator

Post-Twunt

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,051 posts

Posted 04 February 2005 - 03:14 PM

Notapotato, on Feb 4 2005, 02:02 PM, said:

Everyone is different. Those who lived in such difficult times, and particularly the great cannot easily be compartmentalised.
How can you be throwing round big words like "compartmentalised", when all it means is putting people into boxes......oh, I get it. <_<
Ad tabernam festino

#79 Terminator

Post-Twunt

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,051 posts

Posted 04 February 2005 - 03:18 PM

El Loco, on Feb 4 2005, 02:10 PM, said:

He was definitely not a nazi... no need for speculation here, just have a look at the historical facts.

It's okay for me to make jokes about germans, but people should try to be fair.
So, El Loco, are you the guardian of the Nazi party membership list? If not, you make pretty big omniscient claims.

How can you say, one way or the other, that Max was either a member or not?

Also, what makes it OK for you to make jokes about Germans? Did they bomb your chipshop?

Whay can't we just all get along...........
Ad tabernam festino

#80 Tuber Mirum

Relic of the Golden Age

• Moderators
  • 3,194 posts

Posted 04 February 2005 - 03:26 PM

Terminator, on Feb 4 2005, 03:18 PM, said:

Whay can't we just all get along...........
Tell that to Larry and Amanda.

But make sure you spell it correctly first! <_<

Reply to this topic

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users