Jump to content


- - - - -

Gore Vidal Author

dead

46 replies to this topic

#1 Tempus Fugit

    Twunt Master

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,818 posts

Posted 05 October 2005 - 06:24 PM

.
"I have a new philosophy. I'm only going to dread one day at a time."

It's been over 18 months since I was last 100% sober, not a day I want to repeat.

#2 Lady Grendel

    Assassing

  • Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,883 posts

Posted 05 October 2005 - 10:46 PM

Tempus Fugit, on Oct 5 2005, 06:24 PM, said:

Gore Vidal will be 81 next year.

A fascinating fellow with some interesting views on 9/11
Good call TF, I would agree with that

#3 Anubis the Jackal

    Twunt Master

  • Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,114 posts

Posted 07 October 2005 - 10:09 PM

Tempus Fugit, on Oct 5 2005, 07:24 PM, said:

Gore Vidal will be 81 next year.

A fascinating fellow with some interesting views on 9/11
An interview with him in The Observer (I think) found him in the process of moving from his beautiful Amalfi Coast villa back to L.A. following the death of his long-term partner and declining health. Vote Gore for '06!
Pardon me but I got to run
The fact's uncommonly clear
I got to find who's now the number one
And why my angel eyes ain't here

Excuse me while I disappear

#4 Teddy

    Assassin

  • Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 834 posts

Posted 07 October 2005 - 10:34 PM

Anubis the Jackal, on Oct 7 2005, 11:09 PM, said:

Tempus Fugit, on Oct 5 2005, 07:24 PM, said:

Gore Vidal will be 81 next year.

A fascinating fellow with some interesting views on 9/11
An interview with him in The Observer (I think) found him in the process of moving from his beautiful Amalfi Coast villa back to L.A. following the death of his long-term partner and declining health. Vote Gore for '06!
Ah - within striking distance of Mailer :rolleyes:
"Tears are sometimes an inappropriate response to death. When a life has been lived completely honestly, completely successfully, or just completely, the correct response to death's perfect punctuation mark is a smile." - Julie Burchill

#5 CarolAnn

    What's the character limit?

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,552 posts

Posted 03 October 2006 - 01:56 PM

Happy birthday to Gore Vidal, who seems to be in pretty good shape but is 81 today nonetheless. He made a mark in my life when I read the quote "The more money an American accumulates, the less interesting he becomes." This makes me the most interesting person on the planet.
Whenever I feel blue, I start breathing again.

#6 DevonDeathTrip

    Tractor Eater

  • Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,070 posts

Posted 03 November 2006 - 11:55 PM

View PostCarolAnn, on Oct 3 2006, 01:56 PM, said:

Happy birthday to Gore Vidal, who seems to be in pretty good shape but is 81 today nonetheless. He made a mark in my life when I read the quote "The more money an American accumulates, the less interesting he becomes." This makes me the most interesting person on the planet.

This article says Gore Vidal has got cancer and diabetes.

"Gore Vidal is 81 and bluntly admits that he is moving graciously “towards the door marked Exit”. "
Sometimes when we see the eyes- those horrible times when we see the eyes,eyes that ... that have no soul - then we know a darkness.

#7 Tempus Fugit

    Twunt Master

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,818 posts

Posted 04 November 2006 - 01:17 PM

View PostDevonDeathTrip, on Nov 3 2006, 11:55 PM, said:

View PostCarolAnn, on Oct 3 2006, 01:56 PM, said:

Happy birthday to Gore Vidal, who seems to be in pretty good shape but is 81 today nonetheless. He made a mark in my life when I read the quote "The more money an American accumulates, the less interesting he becomes." This makes me the most interesting person on the planet.

This article says Gore Vidal has got cancer and diabetes.

"Gore Vidal is 81 and bluntly admits that he is moving graciously “towards the door marked Exit”. "

A fellow of Gore Vidal's standing really should have his own thread, especially now that he seems to be ailing. He is one of the most interesting American politcal comentators/writers, who throughout his colourful life has always given good quotes.

I was also struck by the things he has in common with George Melly.

They were born a year apart.
Both went to prestigious schools.
Both are honorary associates of the National Secular Society.
Both are humanists.
Both are bisexual

If you dressed Vidal in one of Melly's suits there would also be a fair similarity in appearance.

Oh and he's buying West Ham. :lol:

[Topic consolidated -- MH]

Edited by Tempus Fugit, 04 November 2006 - 05:40 PM.

"I have a new philosophy. I'm only going to dread one day at a time."

It's been over 18 months since I was last 100% sober, not a day I want to repeat.

#8 Canadian Paul

    uber twunt

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,132 posts

Posted 16 December 2006 - 03:21 AM

So what are you doing next Mr. Vidal?

I'm going to Disneyworld Cuba!
Twunt Master Series (August 2007 - January 2008) (January 2008 - June 2008) (July 2008 - April 2009) (April 2009 - January 2010)

Uber Twunt Series (January 2010 - ?)

I still owe NAP

#9 millwall32

    Post-Twunt

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,092 posts

Posted 17 December 2006 - 05:12 PM

View PostTempus Fugit, on Nov 4 2006, 01:17 PM, said:

View PostDevonDeathTrip, on Nov 3 2006, 11:55 PM, said:

View PostCarolAnn, on Oct 3 2006, 01:56 PM, said:

Happy birthday to Gore Vidal, who seems to be in pretty good shape but is 81 today nonetheless. He made a mark in my life when I read the quote "The more money an American accumulates, the less interesting he becomes." This makes me the most interesting person on the planet.

This article says Gore Vidal has got cancer and diabetes.

"Gore Vidal is 81 and bluntly admits that he is moving graciously “towards the door marked Exit”. "

A fellow of Gore Vidal's standing really should have his own thread, especially now that he seems to be ailing. He is one of the most interesting American politcal comentators/writers, who throughout his colourful life has always given good quotes.

I was also struck by the things he has in common with George Melly.

They were born a year apart.
Both went to prestigious schools.
Both are honorary associates of the National Secular Society.
Both are humanists.
Both are bisexual

If you dressed Vidal in one of Melly's suits there would also be a fair similarity in appearance.

Oh and he's buying West Ham. :devil2:

[Topic consolidated -- MH]
that news article looks semi-serious. I guess it is not beyond the realms of possibility that he would buy some west ham shares.
The mother of idiots is always pregnant.

"Guess what. I've got a fever. And the only prescription is MORE COWBELL."

#10 football_fan

    I have no life

  • Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,617 posts

Posted 17 December 2006 - 10:33 PM

View PostCanadian Paul, on Dec 15 2006, 10:21 PM, said:

So what are you doing next Mr. Vidal?

I'm going to Disneyworld Cuba!
He is supposed to be nearing his end, but yet he is well enough to travel to Cuba? It just does not add up. :blink:

I don't think he is as sick as others make him out to be. He is coming off my list for 2007.
"A jury consists of twelve people who determine which client has the better lawyer".
- Robert Frost

#11 Octopus of Odstock

    Post twunt

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,831 posts

Posted 30 December 2006 - 11:24 AM

Interview & Current Photo

I think with the fire in his belly, he may well make it to 2008, but I won't be surprised if he doesn't as he looks awful.

#12 maryportfuncity

    Dedicated Cumbrian Corpse Hound, or summat

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,257 posts

Posted 30 December 2006 - 11:44 AM

Dunno with this one, he's obviously taking some strength from outliving contemporaries and then trying to get the last word in where literary spats are concerned. Since a few people with whom he rowed are still alive maybe he'll hang on a while yet. Writers man, their ability to live a long time has often been evident on this site.
Posted Image


Maryport is a disappointment for which there is no cure, but the annual Deathrace thread hereabouts provides welcome distraction.

#13 Godot

    In a minute

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,860 posts

Posted 30 December 2006 - 12:27 PM

I'm just reading Vidal's book on Lincoln. It says that when the Fed began issuing Greenbacks for the first time Lincoln thought each note had been signed personally by the Treasurer.
Ring down the curtain, the farce is over

#14 Guest_John Zobel_*

  • Guests

Posted 27 January 2007 - 05:01 PM

No. Alas, he will on for much longer. I had the privilege (?) to watch him speak within the hallowed walls of Trinity College Dublin years ago when I was on a three-day stopover there from NYC to London. The man does not stop talking - and it's all about himself.

After his 'lecture', I overheard one distinguished Trinity academic turn to a colleague and mutter, "Jesus, what was THAT about?"

100, at least.

#15 Banshees Scream

    Dwarf tosser

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,436 posts

Posted 27 January 2007 - 06:55 PM

View PostGodot, on Dec 30 2006, 12:27 PM, said:

I'm just reading Vidal's book on Lincoln. It says that when the Fed began issuing Greenbacks for the first time Lincoln thought each note had been signed personally by the Treasurer.

Does he talk about Lincoln's involvement with the occult?

#16 Godot

    In a minute

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,860 posts

Posted 28 January 2007 - 12:52 PM

View PostBanshees Scream, on Jan 27 2007, 06:55 PM, said:

View PostGodot, on Dec 30 2006, 12:27 PM, said:

I'm just reading Vidal's book on Lincoln. It says that when the Fed began issuing Greenbacks for the first time Lincoln thought each note had been signed personally by the Treasurer.

Does he talk about Lincoln's involvement with the occult?
Funnily enough I have just got to a bit where he is trying to see two images of himself in a mirror, something that happened to him once, he said. But he doesn't believe in ghosts. His wife, however, talks through a medium to the two sons they lost every night. Not much of the book left. There's been several attempts on his life already so I don't expect him to make it.
Ring down the curtain, the farce is over

#17 Banshees Scream

    Dwarf tosser

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,436 posts

Posted 28 January 2007 - 04:48 PM

Quote

Funnily enough I have just got to a bit where he is trying to see two images of himself in a mirror, something that happened to him once, he said. But he doesn't believe in ghosts. His wife, however, talks through a medium to the two sons they lost every night. Not much of the book left. There's been several attempts on his life already so I don't expect him to make it.

I can recall once learning that Lincoln's wife would often draw circles or strange cultish sqares on some floors in his home. I believe only one of his children made it to be twenty years old so it had to be a drag for the couple. With much other speculation, such as Abraham's spirit wandering the White House, it works my imagination since the man claimed not to believe 'in as your words 'ghosts' - It could very well be the facts layed on his shoulders, and he became what he could never understand or see. I also read that his wife was once legally branded insane, but the decision was reversed a year later. I really don't know much about it all, the dream before the night of his death is often compared to Kennedy since he whispered a sentence relating to his death moments before Lee Harvey Oswalds shot. It is a mystery, and it probably always will be.

#18 Godot

    In a minute

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,860 posts

Posted 28 January 2007 - 05:58 PM

View PostBanshees Scream, on Jan 28 2007, 04:48 PM, said:

I really don't know much about it all, the dream before the night of his death is often compared to Kennedy since he whispered a sentence relating to his death moments before Lee Harvey Oswalds shot. It is a mystery, and it probably always will be.

He dies? Go on Banshees, spoil it for me.
Ring down the curtain, the farce is over

#19 Banshees Scream

    Dwarf tosser

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,436 posts

Posted 28 January 2007 - 07:32 PM

Quote

He dies? Go on Banshees, spoil it for me.

Well let's be positive. Gore might have a more creative ending. It's spoiled for all of us, but isn't it everyones originality we all look for? I would put it like this.

Only for the forums and in a verse written form I present my example.

Abraham awoke in his bed
Petrified and shaking his head
Everything was all a dream
Or so did it seem?

President Lincoln was not aware
Sitting so still in his chair
Whispered fate and how bizarre
Off goes a shooting star

#20 Canadian Paul

    uber twunt

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,132 posts

Posted 01 February 2007 - 03:25 AM

First Cuba, now The Festival of Ideas in April. Not to mention that he's been doing guest voices on a lot of cartoons (Family Guy, Simpsons) lately... I'm not sad that I left him off my list... though I have a feeling I'll come to regret that comment by the end of the year...
Twunt Master Series (August 2007 - January 2008) (January 2008 - June 2008) (July 2008 - April 2009) (April 2009 - January 2010)

Uber Twunt Series (January 2010 - ?)

I still owe NAP




Reply to this topic



  


1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users