Rotten Ali

Poll: 2007 Deathlist Names

two or more votes in the "who will die next" polls  

39 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

This part 2 poll lists the more popular names on the list when it comes to the question "who do you think will be the next to die". Each of them has two or more votes from us and I've listed in order down to the very most popular at the bottom of the poll (Harold Pinter having gained about 25 votes to date). I've done this with the intension of showing the admin staff who we all feel need ejecting from the 2007 list draughting task. With 41 names still alive and having a rule of including no more that 25 from the previous year the admin staff may have to eject up to 16 of these 41 people. I've set up another poll to ask who we sould keep so this one is more representative. I would add that at least 4 need to be removed from these 26 names at this time.

Please read through the threads of your chioce and use your vote wisely about who you really wish to remove from the 2007 list.

I voted for Alfredo di Stefano. He was a gamble that didn't pay off, and I don't think that there's any reason anymore for him to be on the list.

Narrowing it down to only 4 total that I would remove was tough, but here's my list:

Milton Friedman

Dino de Laurentiis

Ingmar Bergman

Alfredo di Stefano

They're all selected on the basis of being the most a) healthy and ;) boring candidates out of the above.

Albert Hofmann might be worthy of removal too, if we're taking into consideration the complaints about how many centenarians we had on this year's list.

I notice you don't include Eli Wallach on this list? He'll live for yonks.

Well, I was originally going to wait until the official thread for suggestions came up in December, but I might as well post it now>

OOO's musings on the DL:

DEFINITELY KEEP

Brooke Astor, Harold Pinter, Suharto, Lady Bird Johnson, Gerald Ford, Michael Foot, Kurt Waldheim, Billy Graham, Muhammad Ali, Charlton Heston, Augusto Pinochet, Nelson Mandella, George Melly, Clive Dunn, Charles Lane, Claude Levi-Strauss, Jane Wyman, Oscar Niemeyer

MAYBE KEEP

Albert Hofman, Patrick Moore, Joseph Barbera, Milton Friedman, Kirk Douglas, Elizabeth Taylor, Oscar Niemeyer

MAYBE REMOVE

Ronnie Biggs, Ernest Gallo, Norman Wisdom, Dom Mintoff, Vera Lynn, Margaret Thatcher, Alexander Solzhenitsyn, Ingmar Bergman, Jake la Motta, Mickey Rooney, Tony Curtis

DEFINITELY REMOVE

Alfredo di Stefano, Eli Wallach, Abdelaziz Bouteflika, Dino de Laurentiis, Claire Rayner

BRING IN

Shoko Asahara, Allen Carr, Fidel Castro, Lansana Conte, Charlie Drake, Mark Felt, Alan Freeman, Zsa Zsa Gabor, Estelle Getty, Lee Hazlewood, Jesse Helms, Jack Kevorkian, Gabriel Garcia Marquez, Maurice Papon, Ferenc Puskas, Bobby Robson, Yitzhak Shamir, Ariel Sharon, Sir Cyril Smith, Ian Smith, Jeremy Thorpe, Jack Vance, Richard Widmark

I'd be interested to see what people think.

Rayner has to be dropped. She's not even ill any more.

I voted for Alfredo di Stefano. He was a gamble that didn't pay off, and I don't think that there's any reason anymore for him to be on the list.

Narrowing it down to only 4 total that I would remove was tough, but here's my list:

Milton Friedman

Dino de Laurentiis

Ingmar Bergman

Alfredo di Stefano

They're all selected on the basis of being the most a) healthy and ;) boring candidates out of the above.

Albert Hofmann might be worthy of removal too, if we're taking into consideration the complaints about how many centenarians we had on this year's list.

Agreed on Di Stefano. It was a rather hasty move on the Dl's part to include him..

BRING IN

Shoko Asahara, Allen Carr, Fidel Castro, Lansana Conte, Charlie Drake, Mark Felt, Alan Freeman, Zsa Zsa Gabor, Estelle Getty, Lee Hazlewood, Jesse Helms, Jack Kevorkian, Gabriel Garcia Marquez, Maurice Papon, Ferenc Puskas, Bobby Robson, Yitzhak Shamir, Ariel Sharon, Sir Cyril Smith, Ian Smith, Jeremy Thorpe, Jack Vance, Richard Widmark

I would add the following people:

Tammy Faye Messner (if she survives until 2007)

Luciano Pavarotti (Pancreatic cancer has a very low survival rate)

Larry Hagman (still has a drinking problem, despite getting a liver transplant)

Evil Knievel (hepatitis C, liver transplant, idiopathic pulmonary fibrosis )

If they make December 31st Kneival, Tammy Faye and Michael DeBakey have to be in. I reckon we should also give a punt to Lindsey Hughes - UK academic, bound to get a write up in the quality press - who for all her brain power can't figure a way out of terminal liver cancer.

Octopus of Odstock Posted Yesterday, 06:27 PM

BRING IN

Hi OoO. Your have some fairly good names in this list. Not heard of two of them before now (Marquez and Vance) but I'll do the "putting DDP ratio numbers" against those that might be longer shots (sub 100 points).

90.00 Ferenc Puskas

88.00 Sir Cyril Smith

87.04 Lee Hazlewood

83.75 Charlie Drake

81.00 Jesse Helms

78.17 Gabriel Garcia Marquez

71.31 Yitzhak Shamir

69.15 Estelle Getty

64.45 Mark Felt

62.27 Jack Vance

60.35 Shoko Asahara

56.50 Jeremy Thorpe

48.65 Richard Widmark

25.52 Ian Smith

Now the numbers are all relative and mean less when you see that Robin Cook died on a total of just 14 points - just never know who's going to die next but I feel we should be looking to add those who have news that they may not last the next 6 months than just being "old and in the way".

I voted for Earnest Gallo. Boring bastard who has contributed nothing of value to the world of beverages.

BRING IN

(lot's of famous old or ill people...) Ariel Sharon, Sir Cyril Smith, Iain Smith,

Good call.

I voted for Maggie Thatcher. I want her to die of course, but she's such a tough old bird she'll probably go on for years.

I thought I had voted for Milton Friedman but he doesn't have any votes! Either I have ceased to exist and not noticed yet (nor has the cat) or I inadvertantly clicked the wrong button. Perhaps I clicked Patrick Moore, which would not be such a good idea or perhaps Ernest Gallo. I'm hoping that Gallo won't be there by next year so his removal would then be irrelevant.

The only reference that I can find to Milton Friedman's health dates from the 1980s when he mentioned a hospital visit connected with pain. He still goes to work and could easily last another 10 years.

BRING IN

I would add the following people:

Tammy Faye Messner (if she survives until 2007)

Luciano Pavarotti (Pancreatic cancer has a very low survival rate)

Larry Hagman (still has a drinking problem, despite getting a liver transplant)

Evil Knievel (hepatitis C, liver transplant, idiopathic pulmonary fibrosis )

Advice to DL: take Football Fan's suggestions seriously, as he's rather good! :P

I've got Larry Hagman in my DDP 2006, but I'm considering whether to include him for next year...

Messner may not be DL material...

A few suggestions from TMIB...

George Blake

Cahal Daly

Louis Farrakan

John Forsythe

Dick Francis

Deborah Kerr

:)

(I wish i picked Nigel Kneale for 06, I suggested him last year.. <_< )

I'd suggest Arthur C.Clarke, 89 next month and in long-term poor health. C'mon, I predicted Nigel Kneale's death last year...

Hi OoO. Your have some fairly good names in this list. Not heard of two of them before now (Marquez)

Firstly, Football Fan, I don't think Messner meets DL criteria. She's not very famous in the UK. That's the only reason I left her off the list. But DDP candidate, certainly.

Secondly, MPFC, the Lindsey Hughes thread will be so boring it will make the Ingmar Bergman thread look manic.

Thirdly, Rotten Ali, I am stunned that you have never heard of Gabriel Garcia Marquez, especially if you ever hope to win deadpools.

Fourthly, Anubis - if only we could put Iain Smith of DL fame as a DL candidate. For once, Iain could post about himself & it would be relevant. <_<

Also - anyone who is reported as 'very ill' during the last week in December.

I vote to remove Elizabeth Taylor. I don't feel she's in any danger of dying within the next few years. She still seems to be in good spirits, so no need to have her on the list just yet.

I'd suggest Arthur C.Clarke, 89 next month and in long-term poor health. C'mon, I predicted Nigel Kneale's death last year...

I'll second that, especially since I have him on my DDP list this year. Can't beat the power of positive thinking. <_<

He's been on the DL before if I'm not mistaken, so it wouldn't be unprecedented.

90.00 Ferenc Puskas

81.00 Jesse Helms

71.31 Yitzhak Shamir

64.45 Mark Felt

Now the numbers are all relative, but I feel we should be looking to add those who have news that they may not last the next 6 months than just being "old and in the way".

60.35 Shoko Asahara

<_<

Oh, whatever, RA, they're just my suggestions (hence I'm not demanding them in), and most of them do have news to suggest they won't last 6 months. There's no need to be so damn critical with your analysis. If that's not what you meant, apologies, but you have a habit of not explaining yourself very well so that others can take offence & that's how it looks in this case.

Besides, Asahara is likely to be executed in the next 6 months and Lee Hazlewood is terminally ill - is that news enough?? So how you can call both a "long shot" is beyond me, not least when you pick the same man for your Rotten Dead Pool team. Talk about Pot Kettle Black.

I really don't understand your numbers system. Helms, Shamir, Puskas & Felt all have the same disease, yet you've got radically different numbers. Added to that, the youngest two have higher numbers than the oldest two. Until you explain it properly, I don't think we can rely too much on this "system" alone.

Not least as FF's system was to pick people he thought would die. Seems quite effective.

Hi OoO. Your have some fairly good names in this list. Not heard of two of them before now (Marquez)

Firstly, Football Fan, I don't think Messner meets DL criteria. She's not very famous in the UK. That's the only reason I left her off the list. But DDP candidate, certainly.

Secondly, MPFC, the Lindsey Hughes thread will be so boring it will make the Ingmar Bergman thread look manic.

Thirdly, Rotten Ali, I am stunned that you have never heard of Gabriel Garcia Marquez, especially if you ever hope to win deadpools.

Fourthly, Anubis - if only we could put Iain Smith of DL fame as a DL candidate. For once, Iain could post about himself & it would be relevant. <_<

OoO hide thy face in shame, how dare you suggest the delightful Tammy Faye isn't DL material.

Tammy Faye is definitely famous enough, she'll add some much needed glamour (albeit laid on with a trowel) to DL 2007, assuming she makes the new year. Anyone who has had a movie made about them is famous enough in my book.

Claire Rayner by all that's holy should definitely be dropped from the list, having said that the fat old touchy-feely emoter will probably drop dead to spite me.

Patrick Moore.

He will probably keel next week now that Iv'e said that!

OoO I tek yer point about Lindsey Hughes and Bergman having similar dull threads. The one advantage she brings is near-certain death soon on, I'm picturing her as a sort of Casper Weinberger thread, a little action, a little death, a little sinking into oblivion on the list of 50 as we think 'job done.'

OoO I tek yer point about Lindsey Hughes and Bergman having similar dull threads. The one advantage she brings is near-certain death soon on, I'm picturing her as a sort of Casper Weinberger thread, a little action, a little death, a little sinking into oblivion on the list of 50 as we think 'job done.'

mpfc can you provide a link that gives details of Hughes' impending doom?

Googling her I get nothing.

So did I...well sort of!

Sci-fi double bill perhaps.

Nope, unless you want to ring her family!

It's more than rumour, mind. Her employers know and word has spread to those ready to tell the world when she falls, like The Evening News and Star in Carlisle, and they never get stuff wrong. In fact, this whole debate about listing her next year might come to nowt as she carks and cheats us of our chance.

mpfc can you provide a link that gives details of Hughes' impending doom?

Googling her I get nothing.

OoO hide thy face in shame, how dare you suggest the delightful Tammy Faye isn't DL material.

Well, I've never heard of her, or rather I hadn't before DL.

However, your rebuke is so magnificent, that (once again) I have no answer to it.