Political Frailty Power, Corruption, Lies... and Death

1377 replies to this topic

#81 DevonDeathTrip

Tractor Eater

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,070 posts

Posted 13 January 2009 - 09:37 AM

Ramaswamy Venkataraman, 98, the former President of India, has been hospitalised (for that's how it is spelt in my 1948 dictionary, when and why did we make the etymological leap to hospitalized?? I suppose I should move with ye tymes) with dehydration.
Sometimes when we see the eyes- those horrible times when we see the eyes,eyes that ... that have no soul - then we know a darkness.

#82 DevonDeathTrip

Tractor Eater

• Moderators
  • 4,070 posts

Posted 15 January 2009 - 08:27 AM

Kenan Evren, 92, the former President of Turkey who seized power in a coup in 1980 has been hospitalised (that's how Reuters spell it) after falling ill.
Sometimes when we see the eyes- those horrible times when we see the eyes,eyes that ... that have no soul - then we know a darkness.

#83 Cowboy Ronnie

I Need To Get A Life!

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,994 posts

Posted 15 January 2009 - 11:31 AM

DevonDeathTrip, on Jan 13 2009, 09:37 AM, said:

Ramaswamy Venkataraman, 98, the former President of India, has been hospitalised (for that's how it is spelt in my 1948 dictionary, when and why did we make the etymological leap to hospitalized?? I suppose I should move with ye tymes) with dehydration.

Brits spell "hospitalised" with an "s", Americans use a "z". Given the article was in the Hindu, the so-called "National Newspaper", perhaps we can presume this is India throwing off further shackles of the Empire. Ungrateful sods.

#84 Raskolnikov

Sniper

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 80 posts

Posted 21 January 2009 - 05:01 PM

If ever a story was guaranteed to cheer you up/mildly amuse you, it could well be this one about Mr Jacques Chirac.
Crime? What crime? My killing a loathsome, harmful louse, a filthy old moneylender woman...and you call that a crime?

#85 Raskolnikov

Sniper

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 80 posts

Posted 23 January 2009 - 10:25 AM

Indian Prime Minister Manmohan Singh who is 76, is to undergo heart bypass surgery for the second time over the weekend. Could be a unique hit on the DDP for 'Death-Defying' if things get messy.
Crime? What crime? My killing a loathsome, harmful louse, a filthy old moneylender woman...and you call that a crime?

#86 DevonDeathTrip

Tractor Eater

• Moderators
  • 4,070 posts

Posted 24 January 2009 - 12:21 AM

Icelandic Prime Minister Geir Haarde has called an early general election, he will not stand again because a malignant tumour has been found on his throat.

#87 themaninblack

Pun Plunderer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,267 posts

Posted 24 January 2009 - 12:26 AM

DevonDeathTrip, on Jan 24 2009, 12:21 AM, said:

Icelandic Prime Minister Geir Haarde has called an early general election, he will not stand again because a malignant tumour has been found on his throat.

That's caused by the British Government being stuck in it for the last six months I'd imagine...
"I must have killed more men than Cecil B. DeMille."

Gene Wilder as "the Waco Kid", Blazing Saddles (1974)

#88 football_fan

I have no life

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,617 posts

Posted 24 January 2009 - 05:26 PM

Raskolnikov, on Jan 23 2009, 05:25 AM, said:

Indian Prime Minister Manmohan Singh who is 76, is to undergo heart bypass surgery for the second time over the weekend. Could be a unique hit on the DDP for 'Death-Defying' if things get messy.
Indian PM's heart bypass operation successful, say doctors
"A jury consists of twelve people who determine which client has the better lawyer".
- Robert Frost

#89 DevonDeathTrip

Tractor Eater

• Moderators
  • 4,070 posts

Posted 25 January 2009 - 12:00 PM

Canadian Paul, on May 1 2008, 03:05 PM, said:

Vaagheid, on May 1 2008, 09:25 AM, said:

I believe he was the oldest former leader of a country, still living.
Does anybody know who is it now. (Maybe the ex-president of Senegal or Suriname)

Had Gabriel París Gordillo lived another month and a half, it would have been him. The oldest living former head of state is now Johan Ferrier of Suriname, with Mamadou Dia of Senegal not far behind. These lists may be of some interest to you.

Mamadou Dia has died, aged 99.

#90 Guest_Guest_*

• Guests

Posted 27 January 2009 - 11:16 AM

DevonDeathTrip, on Jan 13 2009, 09:37 AM, said:

Dead.

#91 DevonDeathTrip

Tractor Eater

• Moderators
  • 4,070 posts

Posted 28 January 2009 - 05:31 PM

themaninblack, on Jan 24 2009, 12:26 AM, said:

That's caused by the British Government being stuck in it for the last six months I'd imagine...

The person thought most likely to replace Geir Haarde, Social Democrat Ingibjorg Gisladottir, will not be taking the job as she is receiving treatment for a brain tumour.

That means Johanna Sigurdardottir will become Iceland's leader, the word's first openly gay Prime Minister.

#92 The Miser

Executioner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 695 posts

Posted 28 January 2009 - 05:44 PM

DevonDeathTrip, on Jan 28 2009, 12:31 PM, said:

themaninblack, on Jan 24 2009, 12:26 AM, said:

The person thought most likely to replace Geir Haarde, Social Democrat Ingibjorg Gisladottir, will not be taking the job as she is receiving treatment for a brain tumour.

That means Johanna Sigurdardottir will become Iceland's leader, the word's first openly gay Prime Minister.

Posted Image

Straight up lipstick lesbian! That's Hot!!
2008 DDP: 15th place. 2009 DDP: 25th place. 2010 DDP: 12th place. 2011 DDP: 12th place; 2012 DDP: 6th place.

2013 DDP: 15th place.

DEATH be not proud, though some have called thee
Mighty and dreadfull, for, thou art not so,
For, those, whom thou think'st, thou dost overthrow,
Die not, poore death, nor yet canst thou kill me.

#93 Ulitzer95

Shipman

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 495 posts

Posted 28 January 2009 - 07:35 PM

Johanna Sigurdardottir first lesbian head of state, Barrack Obama first US black president, Patrick Harvie first bisexual leader of any British political party.. it's certainly been a good 3 months for minority groups... let's hope it continues... If Mel Gibson dropped dead I think that'd be the cherry on the top of the cake...

or we could just settle for his father, Hutton who's going on 91...... you have to wonder where Mel's aggressive, hateful comments come from ;)
2009 DDP Team: Abdelbasset Al Megrahi, Billy Graham, Sir Bobby Robson, Bert Hazell, Ariel Sharon, Clifton James, Elizabeth Dawn, Jenny Wood-Allen, Jade Goody, Margaret Thatcher, Mohammad Naseem, Sir Norman Wisdom, Oral Roberts, Patriarch Pavle of Serbia, Patrick Swayze, Rita Levi Montalcini, Sree Sree Shivakumara Swamiji, Ted Kennedy, Wendy Richard, Yitzhak Shamir
2010 DDP Team: Abdelbasset Al Megrahi, Billy Graham, Clifton James, Rita Levi Montalcini, Bryant Gumbel, Ruth Bader Ginsburg, Ariel Sharon, Margaret Thatcher, Sir Norman Wisdom, Ronnie Biggs, Sir Cyril Smith, Bhumibol Adulyadej, Zsa Zsa Gabor, Ronnie James Dio, Patriarch Maxim of Bulgaria, Oscar Niemeyer, Johnny Hallyday, Jan Wilson, Sargent Shriver, Jose Alencar
2011 DDP Team: Abdelbaset Al Megrahi, Ronnie Biggs, Ray Bradbury, Claude Choules, Michael Douglas, Aretha Franklin, Zsa Zsa Gabor, Billy Graham, Christopher Hitchens, Audrey Lawson-Johnston, Rita Levi Montalcini, Tom Lubbock, Patriarch Maxim of Bulgaria, Dom Mintoff, Oscar Niemeyer, Frederica Sagor Maas, Angela Scoular, Ariel Sharon, Sargent Shriver, Margaret Thatcher
2012 DDP Team: Couldn't be bothered...
2013 DDP Team: Patty Andrews, Ronnie Biggs, Jo Bryant, George H. W. Bush, Hugo Chavez, Katherine Crowe, Bonnie Franklin, Annette Funicello, Zsa Zsa Gabor, Joao Havelange, Guy Innes-Ker, Clive James, Wojciech Jaruzelski, Nelson Mandela, David McLetchie, Rochus Misch, Reg Presley, Ray Price, Gough Whitlam, Anne Williams
2014 DDP Team: George H. W. Bush, Katherine Crowe, Clarissa Eden, Zsa Zsa Gabor, Gordon Goody, Billy Graham, Superstar Billy Graham, Valerie Harper, Joao Havelange, Guy Innes-Ker, Clive James, Wojciech Jaruzelski, Wilko Johnson, John McVie, Nancy Reagan, Michael Schumacher, Ariel Sharon, Sam Simon, Gough Whitlam, Sir Nicholas Winton

#94 maryportfuncity

Dedicated Cumbrian Corpse Hound, or summat

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,316 posts

Posted 01 February 2009 - 02:22 PM

If we still had an existent 'who's gonna die in 2009?' thread the link might be better there. Not exactly political leaders but we've got to take on board the Tamil Tigers. Hopelessly penned in and on the brink of military defeat, there are leaders in the organisation facing either imminent death in the final battles, or a very uncertain future - including possible death - if caught alive. And they'd be mentioned on the BBC foreign news pages if nowhere else. I know the next CPDP is a long way off, but there are theme team points to be had, or summat.
Posted Image

Maryport is a disappointment for which there is no cure, but the annual Deathrace thread hereabouts provides welcome distraction.

#95 VSBfromH

I Need To Get A Life!

• Members
  • 1,834 posts

Posted 04 March 2009 - 07:55 AM

Alexandre Leontieff former president of French Polynesia, has died of a heart attack aged 61.
Oh, Mickey! What's EGREGIOUS?!

#96 DevonDeathTrip

Tractor Eater

• Moderators
  • 4,070 posts

Posted 09 March 2009 - 10:17 AM

Ingibjorg Gisladottir has resigned from her post, saying she cannot continue to lead her party as her illness is more serious than first thought.

#97 VSBfromH

I Need To Get A Life!

• Members
  • 1,834 posts

Posted 28 March 2009 - 10:23 AM

Janet Jagan has died aged 88.

President of Guyana from 1997 to 1999. She was their first white and first female president. It's probably a fairly safe bet she was their first Jewish President also!
Oh, Mickey! What's EGREGIOUS?!

#98 TAFKAG

Twombly of Twimbledon Common

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,110 posts

Posted 29 March 2009 - 06:21 PM

I went to see Il Divo, a biopic about 90-year-old thrice-Italian PM Giulio Andreotti, and surprisingly can find no mention of him on the DL.

From his wiki page:

On the 2nd of November 2008, Andreotti appeared on a current affairs magazine programme, 'Questa Domenica', on the Berlusconi-owned Italian television station, 'Mediaset', discussing amongst other things the film, 'Il Divo'. During his appearance, he appeared to suffer health difficulties and there was speculation he had suffered a stroke. Andreotti was twice posed a question and simply failed to respond, although his eyes remained open. The station cut to an advertisement break, following which Andreotti reappeared, in seemingly better condition. The incident was presented to the viewer as a consequence of technical difficulties.

~ O Sting, where is thy death? ~

#99 themaninblack

Pun Plunderer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,267 posts

Posted 29 March 2009 - 09:46 PM

TAFKAG, on Mar 29 2009, 07:21 PM, said:

I went to see Il Divo, a biopic about 90-year-old thrice-Italian PM Giulio Andreotti, and surprisingly can find no mention of him on the DL.

From his wiki page:

On the 2nd of November 2008, Andreotti appeared on a current affairs magazine programme, 'Questa Domenica', on the Berlusconi-owned Italian television station, 'Mediaset', discussing amongst other things the film, 'Il Divo'. During his appearance, he appeared to suffer health difficulties and there was speculation he had suffered a stroke. Andreotti was twice posed a question and simply failed to respond, although his eyes remained open. The station cut to an advertisement break, following which Andreotti reappeared, in seemingly better condition. The incident was presented to the viewer as a consequence of technical difficulties.

Apparently most cabinet meetings were a bit like that...
"I must have killed more men than Cecil B. DeMille."

Gene Wilder as "the Waco Kid", Blazing Saddles (1974)

#100 Handrejka

Manx Minx

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,300 posts

Posted 04 April 2009 - 06:21 PM

Does anybody know anything about Gro Harlem Brundtland's cancer? I know she had treatment for it in 2002 and again 2007 but can't find any recent info. One for the future maybe?
Alternative 50 in no particular order (13/50)
1.Nelson Mandela 2.Margaret Thatcher 3. Jeremy Thorpe 4. Bill Pertwee 5. John Freeman 6.Guenther Grass 7. Oswald Morris 8. Glynis Johns 9. Zizi Jeanmaire 10. April Ashley
11. Allan Arbus 12. Siegfried Lenz 13. Helmut Kohl 14.Walter Scheel 15.Hywel Bennet 16.Clive James 17. Tamara Press 18.Dave Swarbrick 19. Gretel Bergmann 20. Paul Danquah
21. Fenella Fielding 22. Peter Sallis 23. Dannie Abse 24.Ronnie Biggs 25. Jovanka Broz 26. Bernie Nolan 27. Ron Moody 28. Vivian Pickles 29. Dave Davies 30. Nexhmije Hoxha
31. Doris Lessing 32. Henry Morgenthaler 33. Al Molinaro 34.Gil Taylor 35. Denis Healey 36. Gabriel Garcia Marquez 37. George Blake 38. Brian Cant 39. Fidel Castro 40. Kirk Douglas
41. Aretha Franklin 42. Annette Funicello 43.Bob Godfrey 44. Rev Billy Graham 45.Wojiech Jaruzelski 46.Irving Kanarek 47.Hiroo Onoda 48. Reg Pressley 49. Ariel Sharon 50. Duncan Norvelle.

2014 Alternative 50 in no order (10/50)
1. Jeremy Thorpe 2. Rev Billy Graham 3. Wojiech Jaruzelski 4. Stephen Hawking 5. Ron Moody 6. Jimmy Hill 7. Dora Bryan 8. John Freeman 9. Clive James 10. Fidel Castro
11. Gene Reynolds 12. Stuart Hall 13. Guenther Grass 14. Kirk Douglas 15. Oswald Morris 16. George Blake 17. Valerie Harper 18. Peter Sallis 19.Sugar Pie deSanto 20. Dannie Abse
21. Brian Cant 22. Siegfried Lenz 23.Tim O'Connor 24. Tamara Press 25. Ariel Sharon 26. Jacques Rivette 27. Fenella Fielding 28.James Alexander Gordon 29. John Noakes
30. Klaus Rainer Rohl 31. Helmut Kohl 32. Nexhmije Hoxha 33 Richard Kiel 34 Walter Scheel 35. Hywel Bennett 36. Lynne Reid Banks 37. Gretel Bergman 38.Irving Kanarek
39. John Stride 40Hiroo Onodo 41. Christopher Wenner 42. Clare Torry 43. William Barrington- Coupe 44. Keith Michell. 45 Johnny Hallyday 45. Yvonne Furneaux 47. Jean Alexander
48. Casey Kasem 49. Michael Schumacher 50. Marcia Barrett

"Wehat shall we do with the wisswass tdonkleys?" "Throw them in the turwetts til they've diwed."

Reply to this topic

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users