1029 replies to this topic

#1 Saint Peter

Shipman

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 253 posts

Posted 12 October 2006 - 11:24 AM

Who's for a pint and a pie somewhere?

What a hoot it would be for the great DL'rs to meet up and swap knitting patterns!

We may even get some drive by ranters to the meet to spice it up by suggesting a cross stitch instead!!!

Hey Grim, I'm up for it.

Is there a pub anywhere called the "Dead 'n' Buried" as that would be a suitable venue.

See y'll at the Gate.

SP
All frogs croak...............eventually!!

#2 maryportfuncity

Dedicated Cumbrian Corpse Hound, or summat

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,258 posts

Posted 12 October 2006 - 12:10 PM

Great, which continent?
Posted Image

Maryport is a disappointment for which there is no cure, but the annual Deathrace thread hereabouts provides welcome distraction.

#3 DevonDeathTrip

Tractor Eater

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,070 posts

Posted 12 October 2006 - 12:26 PM

I know a very good pub in Kiribati.
Sometimes when we see the eyes- those horrible times when we see the eyes,eyes that ... that have no soul - then we know a darkness.

#4 maryportfuncity

• Members
  • 11,258 posts

Posted 12 October 2006 - 12:28 PM

But seriously folks, I'm up for it.

We could all meet round Iain's house.........or maybe it would have to be London.
Posted Image

Maryport is a disappointment for which there is no cure, but the annual Deathrace thread hereabouts provides welcome distraction.

#5 Saint Peter

Shipman

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 253 posts

Posted 12 October 2006 - 12:35 PM

View Postmaryportfuncity, on Oct 12 2006, 01:28 PM, said:

But seriously folks, I'm up for it.

We could all meet round Iain's house.........or maybe it would have to be London.

Well that's two of us. Phew! I thought it was going to be an expensive round.
All frogs croak...............eventually!!

#6 CarolAnn

What's the character limit?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,552 posts

Posted 12 October 2006 - 12:59 PM

View PostSaint Peter, on Oct 12 2006, 06:24 AM, said:

Who's for a pint and a pie somewhere?

What a hoot it would be for the great DL'rs to meet up and swap knitting patterns!

We may even get some drive by ranters to the meet to spice it up by suggesting a cross stitch instead!!!

Hey Grim, I'm up for it.

Is there a pub anywhere called the "Dead 'n' Buried" as that would be a suitable venue.

See y'll at the Gate.

SP

Might I suggest the Fort Worth Stockyards? :wheelchair:
Whenever I feel blue, I start breathing again.

#7 maryportfuncity

• Members
  • 11,258 posts

Posted 12 October 2006 - 02:04 PM

You just have. Since their fame has yet to spread to West Cumbria is there anything we should know about the Fort Worth Stockyards?

Are they - perchance - the site of daily mass murder of farmyard animals, or summat?
Posted Image

#8 Handrejka

Manx Minx

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,293 posts

Posted 12 October 2006 - 04:55 PM

Douglas Yacht Club anyone?
Alternative 50 in no particular order (13/50)
1.Nelson Mandela 2.Margaret Thatcher 3. Jeremy Thorpe 4. Bill Pertwee 5. John Freeman 6.Guenther Grass 7. Oswald Morris 8. Glynis Johns 9. Zizi Jeanmaire 10. April Ashley
11. Allan Arbus 12. Siegfried Lenz 13. Helmut Kohl 14.Walter Scheel 15.Hywel Bennet 16.Clive James 17. Tamara Press 18.Dave Swarbrick 19. Gretel Bergmann 20. Paul Danquah
21. Fenella Fielding 22. Peter Sallis 23. Dannie Abse 24.Ronnie Biggs 25. Jovanka Broz 26. Bernie Nolan 27. Ron Moody 28. Vivian Pickles 29. Dave Davies 30. Nexhmije Hoxha
31. Doris Lessing 32. Henry Morgenthaler 33. Al Molinaro 34.Gil Taylor 35. Denis Healey 36. Gabriel Garcia Marquez 37. George Blake 38. Brian Cant 39. Fidel Castro 40. Kirk Douglas
41. Aretha Franklin 42. Annette Funicello 43.Bob Godfrey 44. Rev Billy Graham 45.Wojiech Jaruzelski 46.Irving Kanarek 47.Hiroo Onoda 48. Reg Pressley 49. Ariel Sharon 50. Duncan Norvelle.

2014 Alternative 50 in no order (10/50)
1. Jeremy Thorpe 2. Rev Billy Graham 3. Wojiech Jaruzelski 4. Stephen Hawking 5. Ron Moody 6. Jimmy Hill 7. Dora Bryan 8. John Freeman 9. Clive James 10. Fidel Castro
11. Gene Reynolds 12. Stuart Hall 13. Guenther Grass 14. Kirk Douglas 15. Oswald Morris 16. George Blake 17. Valerie Harper 18. Peter Sallis 19.Sugar Pie deSanto 20. Dannie Abse
21. Brian Cant 22. Siegfried Lenz 23.Tim O'Connor 24. Tamara Press 25. Ariel Sharon 26. Jacques Rivette 27. Fenella Fielding 28.James Alexander Gordon 29. John Noakes
30. Klaus Rainer Rohl 31. Helmut Kohl 32. Nexhmije Hoxha 33 Richard Kiel 34 Walter Scheel 35. Hywel Bennett 36. Lynne Reid Banks 37. Gretel Bergman 38.Irving Kanarek
39. John Stride 40Hiroo Onodo 41. Christopher Wenner 42. Clare Torry 43. William Barrington- Coupe 44. Keith Michell. 45 Johnny Hallyday 45. Yvonne Furneaux 47. Jean Alexander
48. Casey Kasem 49. Michael Schumacher 50. Marcia Barrett

"Wehat shall we do with the wisswass tdonkleys?" "Throw them in the turwetts til they've diwed."

#9 Death Watch Beatle

I Need To Get A Life!

• Admin
  • 1,595 posts

Posted 12 October 2006 - 05:27 PM

I could take part if the venue was London. Unless of course, you don't want a boring Admin spoiling the party.

DWB :wheelchair:

#10 Death Watch Beatle

I Need To Get A Life!

• Admin
  • 1,595 posts

Posted 12 October 2006 - 05:30 PM

I would also suggest that if this idea is to be taken seriously, the final date and venue be kept off the board, unless you fancy being knifed by a PH ranter.

#11 Tempus Fugit

Twunt Master

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,818 posts

Posted 12 October 2006 - 05:37 PM

View PostDeath Watch Beatle, on Oct 12 2006, 06:27 PM, said:

I could take part if the venue was London. Unless of course, you don't want a boring Admin spoiling the party.

If you make it somewhere worth going like The Savoy's American Bar then it might be worth the effort.
"I have a new philosophy. I'm only going to dread one day at a time."

It's been over 18 months since I was last 100% sober, not a day I want to repeat.

#12 Dr Hackenslash

Assassin

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 818 posts

Posted 12 October 2006 - 05:47 PM

View PostDeath Watch Beatle, on Oct 12 2006, 06:30 PM, said:

I would also suggest that if this idea is to be taken seriously, the final date and venue be kept off the board, unless you fancy being knifed by a PH ranter.

The nearest pub to The Crucible would be a good venue...

#13 CarolAnn

What's the character limit?

• Members
  • 1,552 posts

Posted 12 October 2006 - 07:14 PM

View Postmaryportfuncity, on Oct 12 2006, 09:04 AM, said:

You just have. Since their fame has yet to spread to West Cumbria is there anything we should know about the Fort Worth Stockyards?

Are they - perchance - the site of daily mass murder of farmyard animals, or summat?

Nothing so exciting anymore. Lots of tourists that one wants to run over, though.......

http://www.fortworth...org/history.htm
Whenever I feel blue, I start breathing again.

#14 Tuber Mirum

Relic of the Golden Age

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,194 posts

Posted 12 October 2006 - 07:21 PM

That reminds me, Windsor still owes me a pint.

How about "Ma" Cameron's in Little Belmont Street?

#15 Rotten Ali

Value for money

• Members
  • 2,259 posts

Posted 12 October 2006 - 10:37 PM

Going to add my name in here to be at least kept informed of anyone going to the trouble of putting something (London based) together since I'm working in Surrey during the weeks leading up to christmas. May I add to DWB's idea, that it's London's turn first to have a planned event since the vast number of visitors to "our" site are UK based, then maybe NYC next year 'cus we do have a load of Americans popping in here and trans-atlantic flights are only a few hundred pounds still.
Yes yes yes yes yes... yes yes yes yes, no!

(Trevor Peacock as Jim Trott in the Vicar of Dibley)

DL Shadow List: King Abdullah, Muhammad Ali, Sir Richard Attenborough, Tariq Aziz, Pope Benedict XVI, Tony Benn, Ian Brady, George HW Bush, Sid Caeser, Fidel Castro, George Cole, Katherine Crowe, Liz Dawn, Bob Dole, Kirk Douglas, Jean Claude Duvalier, Queen Fabiola of Belgium, Louis Farrakhan, Aretha Franklin, Zsa Zsa Gabor, James Garner, Ruth Bader Ginsburg, Mikhail Gorbachev, Billy Graham, King Harald V of Norway, Valerie Harper, Joao Havelange, Stephen Hawking, Jimmy Hill, Clive James, Yahya Jammeh, General Jaruzelski, Wilko Johnson, Casey Kasem, Stan Lee, Jerry Lee Lewis, Penny Marshall, T O N Mbasogo, Mary Tyler Moore, Hosni Mubarak, Ian Paisley, Nancy Reagan, Albert Reynolds, Ariel Sharon, Sam Simon, Jeremy Thorpe, Gough Whitlam, Lee Kuan Yew, Michael York & Jiang Zemin. 12/50

#16 Captain Oates

Post-Twunt

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,240 posts

Posted 12 October 2006 - 11:00 PM

Great idea, although I can see the difficulties both in planning a venue and, more immediately, in discussing the arrangements off-air. We must rely on admin to set this up, I suspect. :wheelchair:

"Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one." A.E.

#17 Rotten Ali

Value for money

• Members
  • 2,259 posts

Posted 12 October 2006 - 11:22 PM

Don't think so - I guess any old member or mod' could do it - even take up less real time than doing an ace copy cat deadpool thing like that of Canadian Paul's. It's just Email round the usual suspects (all the mods and admin and then look out for the members who add a dash of jest into their posts - and those in the know, just IM each other to iron out the finer points.
Yes yes yes yes yes... yes yes yes yes, no!

(Trevor Peacock as Jim Trott in the Vicar of Dibley)

DL Shadow List: King Abdullah, Muhammad Ali, Sir Richard Attenborough, Tariq Aziz, Pope Benedict XVI, Tony Benn, Ian Brady, George HW Bush, Sid Caeser, Fidel Castro, George Cole, Katherine Crowe, Liz Dawn, Bob Dole, Kirk Douglas, Jean Claude Duvalier, Queen Fabiola of Belgium, Louis Farrakhan, Aretha Franklin, Zsa Zsa Gabor, James Garner, Ruth Bader Ginsburg, Mikhail Gorbachev, Billy Graham, King Harald V of Norway, Valerie Harper, Joao Havelange, Stephen Hawking, Jimmy Hill, Clive James, Yahya Jammeh, General Jaruzelski, Wilko Johnson, Casey Kasem, Stan Lee, Jerry Lee Lewis, Penny Marshall, T O N Mbasogo, Mary Tyler Moore, Hosni Mubarak, Ian Paisley, Nancy Reagan, Albert Reynolds, Ariel Sharon, Sam Simon, Jeremy Thorpe, Gough Whitlam, Lee Kuan Yew, Michael York & Jiang Zemin. 12/50

#18 Canadian Paul

uber twunt

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,132 posts

Posted 12 October 2006 - 11:26 PM

View PostRotten Ali, on Oct 12 2006, 04:22 PM, said:

Don't think so - I guess any old member or mod' could do it - even take up less real time than doing an ace copy cat deadpool thing like that of Canadian Paul's.

I'll have you know I put a lot of effort and time into that - in case you hadn't noticed it's all HTML.

If you didn't like it, you didn't have to join.
Twunt Master Series (August 2007 - January 2008) (January 2008 - June 2008) (July 2008 - April 2009) (April 2009 - January 2010)

Uber Twunt Series (January 2010 - ?)

I still owe NAP

#19 in eternum+

Post-Twunt

• Members
  • 1,229 posts

Posted 12 October 2006 - 11:36 PM

View PostCanadian Paul, on Oct 13 2006, 12:26 AM, said:

View PostRotten Ali, on Oct 12 2006, 04:22 PM, said:

Don't think so - I guess any old member or mod' could do it - even take up less real time than doing an ace copy cat deadpool thing like that of Canadian Paul's.

I'll have you know I put a lot of effort and time into that - in case you hadn't noticed it's all HTML.

If you didn't like it, you didn't have to join.
Perhaps we should amend "pub" to "handbags at dawn"?
Proud to be Old Skool

#20 Captain Oates

Post-Twunt

• Members
  • 1,240 posts

Posted 12 October 2006 - 11:47 PM

View PostRotten Ali, on Oct 13 2006, 12:22 AM, said:

Captain Oates Posted Today, 12:00 AM

Great idea, although I can see the difficulties both in planning a venue and, more immediately, in discussing the arrangements off-air. We must rely on admin to set this up, I suspect.

Don't think so - I guess any old member or mod' could do it - even take up less real time than doing an ace copy cat deadpool thing like that of Canadian Paul's. It's just Email round the usual suspects (all the mods and admin and then look out for the members who add a dash of jest into their posts - and those in the know, just IM each other to iron out the finer points.
My concerns are
  • Security
  • Involving everyone who might be genuinely interested
  • Enabling a reasonable discussion about location
I had thought that a "hidden" forum could be a possible way forward.

"Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one." A.E.

Reply to this topic

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users