Baseball It's just not cricket

282 replies to this topic

#21 Banshees Scream

Dwarf tosser

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,444 posts

Posted 08 October 2006 - 08:56 PM

You sir are a grade 'A' f*ckwit. Football would dominate, as it is global sport, you only need to look at the TV viewing figures for the World Cup to see that.

If it was Football VS American sports talking overall, soccer loses.

#22 Tempus Fugit

Twunt Master

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,819 posts

Posted 08 October 2006 - 08:58 PM

Now could a Moderator kindly move all the Baseball shite out of the Near Misses thread to here.
"I have a new philosophy. I'm only going to dread one day at a time."

It's been over 21 months since I was last 100% sober, not a day I want to repeat.

#23 Banshees Scream

Dwarf tosser

• Members
  • 5,444 posts

Posted 08 October 2006 - 09:00 PM

Talk American sports here. Please ladies and gentleman ignore this annoying dull alcoholic who doesn't have any respect for American sports.

#24 Tempus Fugit

Twunt Master

• Members
  • 3,819 posts

Posted 08 October 2006 - 09:04 PM

View PostBanshees Scream, on Oct 8 2006, 10:00 PM, said:

Talk American sports here. Please ladies and gentleman ignore this annoying dull alcoholic who doesn't have any respect for American sports.
All so called American sports were invented over here Baseball (rounders), American Football (Rugby for cissies). All you've really got is Basketball and that was invented by a canadian.

It's been over 21 months since I was last 100% sober, not a day I want to repeat.

#25 The Pooka

Executioner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 585 posts

Posted 08 October 2006 - 09:06 PM

View PostTempus Fugit, on Oct 8 2006, 10:04 PM, said:

All so called American sports were invented over here Baseball (rounders), American Football (Rugby for cissies). All you've really got is Basketball and that was invented by a canadian.
Was it the 1984 Olympics in LA or the 1996 in Atlanta where Japan beat USA in the baseball tournament?

#26 Banshees Scream

Dwarf tosser

• Members
  • 5,444 posts

Posted 08 October 2006 - 09:08 PM

This is completely random. Baseball was invented in 1845, rounders isn't even baseball. It's a game something like it, but it's still different. God knows what the rules were. What your trying to compare is far out of place.

#27 Tempus Fugit

Twunt Master

• Members
  • 3,819 posts

Posted 08 October 2006 - 09:15 PM

View PostBanshees Scream, on Oct 8 2006, 10:08 PM, said:

This is completely random. Baseball was invented in 1845, rounders isn't even baseball. It's a game something like it, but it's still different. God knows what the rules were. What your trying to compare is far out of place.
--------------------------------------

The modern game was developed in the United States from an early bat-and-ball game called rounders (at least this is the most popular explanation for its origins), and it has become the national sport of the United States

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Baseball

#28 Banshees Scream

Dwarf tosser

• Members
  • 5,444 posts

Posted 08 October 2006 - 09:18 PM

Who cares. The rules make the game. I don't think they have stayed the same over the past 150 years.

#29 CarolAnn

What's the character limit?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,552 posts

Posted 08 October 2006 - 09:29 PM

View PostThe Pooka, on Oct 8 2006, 04:06 PM, said:

Was it the 1984 Olympics in LA or the 1996 in Atlanta where Japan beat USA in the baseball tournament?
In 1984 (Los Angeles), Japan beat the US in the then baseball demonstration games.

In 1992 (Barcelona) as a medal sport, Japan beat the US in the seventh round with a score of 7-1. Final rankings for that Olympics were 1) Cuba, 2) Chinese Taipei, 3) Japan, 4) United States.

In 1996 (Atlanta), Japan defeated the US in the semi-final round. Final rankings for that Olympics were: 1) Cuba, 2) United States, 3) Japan, 4) Nicaragua.

In 2000 (Sydney), the US defeated Japan in the preliminary rounds. The final ranking for that Olympics were: 1) United States, 2) Cuba, 3) Korea, 4) Japan.

In 2004 (Athens), the US was knocked out in the qualifying round and never played Japan.

My husband is of the opinion that the way to not get knocked out of the qualifying rounds in 2008 is to not include any of the New York Yankees on the team. He's still upset about yesterday.
Whenever I feel blue, I start breathing again.

#30 Gunjaman5000

Assassin

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 963 posts

Posted 08 October 2006 - 11:04 PM

View PostTempus Fugit, on Oct 8 2006, 09:32 PM, said:

View PostBanshees Scream, on Oct 8 2006, 09:27 PM, said:

All I know about baseball is the following - Babe Ruth, Joe di Maggio, Monty Stratton, Hank Aaron and the World Series is a complete misnomer as there's only two nations represented.

Baseball is everywhere, but the UK. Pretty much.
Everywhere apart from Europe, Africa and the asian subcontinent. The only truly global game is football (soccer).
Not according to this post.
They burned the mother down.

#31 Godot

In a minute

• Members
  • 3,860 posts

Posted 08 October 2006 - 11:10 PM

More people go fishing every day in the UK than play baseball in the US throughout an entire year.
Ring down the curtain, the farce is over

#32 Tempus Fugit

Twunt Master

• Members
  • 3,819 posts

Posted 08 October 2006 - 11:16 PM

View PostGunjaman5000, on Oct 9 2006, 12:04 AM, said:

View PostTempus Fugit, on Oct 8 2006, 09:32 PM, said:

View PostBanshees Scream, on Oct 8 2006, 09:27 PM, said:

All I know about baseball is the following - Babe Ruth, Joe di Maggio, Monty Stratton, Hank Aaron and the World Series is a complete misnomer as there's only two nations represented.

Baseball is everywhere, but the UK. Pretty much.
Everywhere apart from Europe, Africa and the asian subcontinent. The only truly global game is football (soccer).
Not according to this post.
In terms of professional leagues then I'm right it's football*. In terms of participation then who knows, is fishing really a sport?

Maybe it is for some, but for others it's a means of survival.

*I have absolutely no idea if this is true or not, but it sounds as though it should be.

Edited by Tempus Fugit, 08 October 2006 - 11:27 PM.

#33 Guest_Guest_*

• Guests

Posted 09 October 2006 - 12:01 AM

View PostCarolAnn, on Oct 8 2006, 09:29 PM, said:

View PostThe Pooka, on Oct 8 2006, 04:06 PM, said:

In 1984 (Los Angeles), Japan beat the US in the then baseball demonstration games.

In 1992 (Barcelona) as a medal sport, Japan beat the US in the seventh round with a score of 7-1. Final rankings for that Olympics were 1) Cuba, 2) Chinese Taipei, 3) Japan, 4) United States.

In 1996 (Atlanta), Japan defeated the US in the semi-final round. Final rankings for that Olympics were: 1) Cuba, 2) United States, 3) Japan, 4) Nicaragua.

In 2000 (Sydney), the US defeated Japan in the preliminary rounds. The final ranking for that Olympics were: 1) United States, 2) Cuba, 3) Korea, 4) Japan.

In 2004 (Athens), the US was knocked out in the qualifying round and never played Japan.

My husband is of the opinion that the way to not get knocked out of the qualifying rounds in 2008 is to not include any of the New York Yankees on the team. He's still upset about yesterday.

Carol Ann- Your husband is a Yankees fan? Oh the shame! I'm so happy they choked again.

#34 Banshees Scream

Dwarf tosser

• Members
  • 5,444 posts

Posted 09 October 2006 - 12:25 AM

In terms of professional leagues then I'm right it's football*. In terms of participation then who knows, is fishing really a sport?

Maybe it is for some, but for others it's a means of survival.

Soccer certainly isn't the favorite here in the United States. Fishing is considered a sport, and they air poker and pool on ESPN so they might consider them sports as well.

Fishing is survival for some. The Eskimo. The Yeti. And so on...

#35 Typhoid Harry

Post-Twunt

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,214 posts

Posted 09 October 2006 - 12:35 AM

Swimming isn't a sport either, swimming is not drowning.
I'm not sure if it's Marxism in action or a West End musical... - Dr. Who

#36 CarolAnn

What's the character limit?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,552 posts

Posted 09 October 2006 - 01:46 AM

Hey look! I suddenly started this thread! Cool! I didn't do a damn thing!

:D
Whenever I feel blue, I start breathing again.

#37 Dave to the Grave

Shipman

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 386 posts

Posted 09 October 2006 - 06:47 AM

Some stuff about the origins of the 'World Series' here.

#38 The Pooka

Executioner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 585 posts

Posted 09 October 2006 - 07:07 AM

View PostBanshees Scream, on Oct 8 2006, 09:34 PM, said:

Who gives a F**k if it's a global game. If you had a poll among the world, American sports would dominate. There is absolutely no doubt about it.
Well if the USA ran the poll like it ran Bush v. Gore you probably would win.

#39 Octopus of Odstock

Post twunt

• Members
  • 3,832 posts

Posted 09 October 2006 - 07:28 AM

View PostBanshees Scream, on Oct 8 2006, 09:53 PM, said:

Is eight countries not alot? Does eight countries not lift your eye brow? Does that not turn you on? Let me ask you a question, how many countries should have played then?

I think 32 would impress me more, for a global point of view.

But the rest of your argument is concise and fair.

Don't get me wrong, I don't dislike baseball at all, it's just the claim that it's globally more popular than soccer.

I have no idea who your favourite team is but I wish them well.

Oh I realised I have also heard of Mickey Mantle & Mick McGuire.

#40 Godot

In a minute

• Members
  • 3,860 posts

Posted 09 October 2006 - 10:20 AM

View PostThe Pooka, on Oct 9 2006, 08:07 AM, said:

View PostBanshees Scream, on Oct 8 2006, 09:34 PM, said:

Who gives a F**k if it's a global game. If you had a poll among the world, American sports would dominate. There is absolutely no doubt about it.
Well if the USA ran the poll like it ran Bush v. Gore you probably would win.
Fishing is global. Even Jesus did it.
Ring down the curtain, the farce is over

Reply to this topic

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users