maryportfuncity

Suicidal Celebs

I think it might be a good idea to pool our information on high profile hari kari contenders. If you google celeb suicide there's such a wealth of information you have to wade through loads to find the likeliest contenders. Obviously some criminals - Huntley for one - are key contenders but there are loads of others with a history of attempts and/or depression. Some of whom have already come close.

Stephen Fry confessed as much on TV last week, others - like Vinnie Jones - have also come withing touching distance of the void.

How many DL contenders do we know who've attempted it and/or confessed to comin' close?

• Like 1

I read somewhere (the Metro?) that Leslie Grantham tried not very hard to top himself three times after that internet sex thing that got him kicked off Eastenders. American football player Terrell Owens was mentioned here last week. I suppose OJ Simpson's learned to deal with his guilt so he's no longer a likely candidate. Pete Doherty is a walking suicide note. Anna Nicole Smith is totally insane, so she's worth consideration - in the last month a) she had a baby; :lol: her older son died of an overdose; c) there was a dispute over who's the father of her baby; d) she married her lawyer. I saw a kid wearing a "Bjorn Borg" T-shirt the other day. He tried to top himself once, as I recall. Bjorn Borg I mean, not the kid in the T-shirt.

I wondered the self same thing a few months ago.

Frank Bruno I believe made an unsuccesful attempt as did Gail Porter who I think has her own thread as a result.

Just had a look, the Gail Porter thread is here.

Edited by Slave to the Grave

Good thread idea but remember that most of these people are by nature attention seeking and a "suicide bid" can be seen as one and the same. There's a big difference between taking a few tabs with a glass of gin and chucking yourself off a high rise block. Not many of these celebs choose the latter course. They wouldn't want it to spoil their looks.

Suicide. Ending the contract ahead of time. Resigning without notice. Meeting death, not inviting or arranging, unplanned and not anticipating your on going ticking clocks strike to the hour of you coming home.

I can think of a number of celebrities and politicians I'd like to "suicide".

Suicide. Ending the contract ahead of time. Resigning without notice. Meeting death, not inviting or arranging, unplanned and not anticipating your on going ticking clocks strike to the hour of you coming home.

Are you talking about accidental suicide Banshees? :ph34r:

I take yer point Geromino but the point of the thread is to pool expertise and try to isolate the real depressives from the hissy fit gone too far mongers.

Frank Bruno, sleeping in a boxing ring outside his mansion if I recall. I'm guessing he'll never be totally alright and Gazza, allowed to gamble hopelessly a few weeks ago. That wasn't attention seeking, that was a man totally out of touch with reality.

Bear in mind some celebs are desperately trying to get affection they lack in human relationships, for such people the top isn't lonely, it's a dose of reality so stark they may never feel positive about life again, or summat. Their despair, our greatest hope of good points from a youthful death.

Are you talking about accidental suicide Banshees?

Depends on which way you look at it Boudicca. If a suicidal was to take death as an every day task, for example in all respect, just as Anubis The Jackal takes out the garbage. Then it all starts to make sense.

Suicidology, a new science on me. Might come in handy for this thread.

Jobcentre Plus, might come in hand for the creator of this thread.

There's love in the room Windsor, I can feel it! Many thanks but I'm not giving up running the multi-national conglomerate this month.

I take yer point Geromino but the point of the thread is to pool expertise and try to isolate the real depressives from the hissy fit gone too far mongers.

Frank Bruno, sleeping in a boxing ring outside his mansion if I recall. I'm guessing he'll never be totally alright and Gazza, allowed to gamble hopelessly a few weeks ago. That wasn't attention seeking, that was a man totally out of touch with reality.

Bear in mind some celebs are desperately trying to get affection they lack in human relationships, for such people the top isn't lonely, it's a dose of reality so stark they may never feel positive about life again, or summat. Their despair, our greatest hope of good points from a youthful death.

I take yer point too MPFC but as long as Simon Dee is still alive I can't take celebrity suicide seriously. They simply don't do it much because they're resilient bastards. Look at Canon and Ball. They should have ended it years ago. What's the point of Venessa Phelps? But she sticks with it. What we need is a new Tony Hancock. Someone, somewhere who was somebody once, must be sitting alone, lonely as hell. Chris Evans? people keep bringing him back.

Death by suicide is marginally more common amongst those in the public eye, especially entertainment related, than the public as a whole. Kurt Cobain, Tony Hancock B S Johnson etc. All depressed, misunderstood and unsatisified even when things went their way. Doesn't make every celeb a likely topper but there's a few contenders. Especially if we get a little inside info.

If we put the work in, we'll find 'em. On the fringes we have the wilful reckless endangerment crowd, the likes of Pete Doherty and Gazza. Even if they don't set out one night to die they're stupid enough to damage themselves on a permanent basis, like George Best.

Death by suicide is marginally more common amongst those in the public eye, especially entertainment related, than the public as a whole. Kurt Cobain, Tony Hancock B S Johnson etc. All depressed, misunderstood and unsatisified even when things went their way. Doesn't make every celeb a likely topper but there's a few contenders. Especially if we get a little inside info.

If we put the work in, we'll find 'em. On the fringes we have the wilful reckless endangerment crowd, the likes of Pete Doherty and Gazza. Even if they don't set out one night to die they're stupid enough to damage themselves on a permanent basis, like George Best.

I thought it was GP's and farmers who had the highest suicide rate.

Still I'm very much hoping that the bearded one (shudder) will one day decide to kill himself, fat chance really.

I thought it was GP's and farmers who had the highest suicide rate.

Vets and Hungarians I always thought

There are pockets of high suicide, including GPs and dentists, NHS ones in particular being likely to end it that way. Farmers don't talk much about problems and often see themselves off in isolation hanging in a barn or similar. The odd thing is that people working around the above, AI men, nurses etc, don't share such suicidal tendencies.

Amongst other unlikely suicidal types are cricketers, especially the lesser known ones. There's a book called 'Silence of the Heart' about cricket suicides.

Professional sports in general, however, is fairly low on suicide.

Not forgetting our Scandinavian friends, amongst whom suicide is practically a national sport, during the dark months anyways.

Michael Barrymore.

Michael Barrymore.

No chance DDT, the Barrymore will never self destruct, far too vain.

Well, we can cross Rory McGrath off the celeb suicide-watch list. I passed him in the street today, and he didn't look the slightest bit suicidal. He was, admittedly, barefoot, but I don't think that signifies anything particularly notable.

One down...

I don't think Pete Doherty is in any way suicidal. Accidental overdose - perhaps, yer actual suicide - I doubt it.

Robbie Williams is a far more likely candidate.

Robbie Williams is a far more likely candidate.

You're just trying to cheer me up Vinegar Tits, well it's worked. Come on Robbie, raise the blade, make the change.

Has the Deathlist ever had a suicide among its picks in its illustrious past?

• Like 1