Jump to content


- - - - -

That N. Korean Missile


29 replies to this topic

#1 Cowboy Ronnie

    I Need To Get A Life!

  • Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,994 posts

Posted 21 June 2006 - 01:46 PM

This article suggests the US might actually be considering trying to shoot down the missle which the mischievous N. Koreans are threatening to launch this week.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/13450911/

Now, I'm no rocket scientist, but from the news reports I've seen the past few years it seems the Americans thus far have barely been able to hit any of their own test missiles, and they presumably know when those ones are going to be launched and where they're headed. Let's hope by the time they do figure out how to shoot down an enemy missile Messrs. Cheney and Rumsfeld will have long since left the building.

#2 maryportfuncity

    Dedicated Cumbrian Corpse Hound, or summat

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,159 posts

Posted 21 June 2006 - 06:49 PM

I share your concerns Ronnie, we could get facile here or admit it's f****n' scary all round. I reckon the Koreans took Team America World Police literally and they've been well pissed ever since.
Posted Image


Maryport is a disappointment for which there is no cure, but the annual Deathrace thread hereabouts provides welcome distraction.

#3 football_fan

    I have no life

  • Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,617 posts

Posted 05 July 2006 - 11:55 AM

View PostCowboy Ronnie, on Jun 21 2006, 09:46 AM, said:

This article suggests the US might actually be considering trying to shoot down the missle which the mischievous N. Koreans are threatening to launch this week.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/13450911/

Now, I'm no rocket scientist, but from the news reports I've seen the past few years it seems the Americans thus far have barely been able to hit any of their own test missiles, and they presumably know when those ones are going to be launched and where they're headed. Let's hope by the time they do figure out how to shoot down an enemy missile Messrs. Cheney and Rumsfeld will have long since left the building.
They have test fired 7 missiles so far and none have been shot down.

North Korea test-fires 7th missile
"A jury consists of twelve people who determine which client has the better lawyer".
- Robert Frost

#4 football_fan

    I have no life

  • Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,617 posts

Posted 05 July 2006 - 11:57 AM

View Postmaryportfuncity, on Jun 21 2006, 02:49 PM, said:

I share your concerns Ronnie, we could get facile here or admit it's f****n' scary all round. I reckon the Koreans took Team America World Police literally and they've been well pissed ever since.
:D
"A jury consists of twelve people who determine which client has the better lawyer".
- Robert Frost

#5 Cowboy Ronnie

    I Need To Get A Life!

  • Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,994 posts

Posted 14 February 2008 - 09:34 PM

Not content with failing completely to shoot down any North Korean missiles, the US military has announced ambitious plans to make fools of themselves trying to pick one of their own spy satellites out of the sky before it crashes to Earth.

and they don't want to miss the thing

#6 themaninblack

    Pun Plunderer

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,186 posts

Posted 14 February 2008 - 10:10 PM

Why don't they have a program in the satellite which, when it is discontinued, sets out a trajectory when it falls to the earth....into the pacific perhaps. I mean if they're clever enough to pinpoint the trajectory of space probes?
"I must have killed more men than Cecil B. DeMille."

Gene Wilder as "the Waco Kid", Blazing Saddles (1974)

#7 Banshees Scream

    Dwarf tosser

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,430 posts

Posted 14 February 2008 - 10:35 PM

The probability goes unspoken but the word is attempt instead of inaction.

Even in 2008 we are only in the colonial era of modern technology.

#8 Star Crossed

    Assassin

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 996 posts

Posted 15 February 2008 - 02:04 PM

View PostBanshees Scream, on Feb 14 2008, 10:35 PM, said:

The probability goes unspoken but the word is attempt instead of inaction.

Even in 2008 we are only in the colonial era of modern technology.
It's been a while since BS's unique interpretation of the English language made me :D, but that gem did.

Bravo, BS, I didn't understand a word of it! Or, to be precise, I understood all of the words, but none of the meaning.
A lesson from history.
Tdonkleys snakc on Cnocolate and Cumcumber
"El hombre es dueño de su silencio, pero prisionero de sus palabras" - Argentinian proverb.
"Maybe they filmed the poltergeist on a cursed children berialground without knowing it." - Vaagheid
'Patience is the support of weakness; impatience the ruin of strength'

#9 Banshees Scream

    Dwarf tosser

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,430 posts

Posted 15 February 2008 - 04:42 PM

Well Star Crossed, the exact probability of the US literally putting this Satellite out of commission wasn't even available. What I meant was this article claimed it was worth the bullshit to try and blow up this useless piece of metal for the safety of human beings - instead of just letting it free - fall.

Now in this modern world we have 'I - Phones' which they are practically all possibilities in your pocket and we have robotic vacuums and Tempur Pedic beds ... and even GPS (but I think that even comes with some upgraded I - Phones. Now alright 'we aren't making human sacrifices for the gods' we live in developed cities in sort of a civilized world but when it comes to the cosmos our mobility is pretty much stone age and our accuracy is pretty much Lee Harvey Oswald on the first shot.

I've always thought

If Aliens do exist and they have a sense of humor, times like this must be their Comedy Central.

#10 honez

    I have no life

  • Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,724 posts

Posted 15 February 2008 - 10:18 PM

View PostBanshees Scream, on Feb 16 2008, 02:42 AM, said:

If Aliens do exist and they have a sense of humor, times like this must be their Comedy Central.
Probability suggests "posts like this."
Five zombies. Four bullets. Two zombies.

#11 The Miser

    Executioner

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 695 posts

Posted 15 February 2008 - 10:40 PM

View Postthemaninblack, on Feb 14 2008, 05:10 PM, said:

Why don't they have a program in the satellite which, when it is discontinued, sets out a trajectory when it falls to the earth....into the pacific perhaps. I mean if they're clever enough to pinpoint the trajectory of space probes?


An article that I read said that the spy satalites are equiped with what you suggested, but it broke in the case of this satellite. That explains why they aren't routinely shooting these things down, they usually can dump them in the ocean where noone will find them. In this case, the US is worried that someone will find it and get "secret" info. I wonder what the betting odds are on hitting it.
2008 DDP: 15th place. 2009 DDP: 25th place. 2010 DDP: 12th place. 2011 DDP: 12th place; 2012 DDP: 6th place.

2013 DDP: 15th place.

DEATH be not proud, though some have called thee
Mighty and dreadfull, for, thou art not so,
For, those, whom thou think'st, thou dost overthrow,
Die not, poore death, nor yet canst thou kill me.

#12 themaninblack

    Pun Plunderer

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,186 posts

Posted 15 February 2008 - 10:54 PM

View PostThe Miser, on Feb 15 2008, 10:40 PM, said:

View Postthemaninblack, on Feb 14 2008, 05:10 PM, said:

Why don't they have a program in the satellite which, when it is discontinued, sets out a trajectory when it falls to the earth....into the pacific perhaps. I mean if they're clever enough to pinpoint the trajectory of space probes?


An article that I read said that the spy satalites are equiped with what you suggested, but it broke in the case of this satellite. That explains why they aren't routinely shooting these things down, they usually can dump them in the ocean where noone will find them. In this case, the US is worried that someone will find it and get "secret" info. I wonder what the betting odds are on hitting it.

Ah.... :D
"I must have killed more men than Cecil B. DeMille."

Gene Wilder as "the Waco Kid", Blazing Saddles (1974)

#13 DevonDeathTrip

    Tractor Eater

  • Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,070 posts

Posted 15 February 2008 - 10:54 PM

I love the trigger happy American attitude. I wonder if bird-flu arrives in America, will George Bush ask his citizens to get their guns out and

"Kill every single bird in the goddamned country...If these birds want to pick a fight, then bring it on. And we will take our battle to the countries who sent us the birds. We will not yield, we will not falter and we will not fail. We strive for geese."
Sometimes when we see the eyes- those horrible times when we see the eyes,eyes that ... that have no soul - then we know a darkness.

#14 The Miser

    Executioner

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 695 posts

Posted 16 February 2008 - 01:14 AM

View PostDevonDeathTrip, on Feb 15 2008, 05:54 PM, said:

I love the trigger happy American attitude. I wonder if bird-flu arrives in America, will George Bush ask his citizens to get their guns out and

"Kill every single bird in the goddamned country...If these birds want to pick a fight, then bring it on. And we will take our battle to the countries who sent us the birds. We will not yield, we will not falter and we will not fail. We strive for geese."

These colors don't run baby!!!
2008 DDP: 15th place. 2009 DDP: 25th place. 2010 DDP: 12th place. 2011 DDP: 12th place; 2012 DDP: 6th place.

2013 DDP: 15th place.

DEATH be not proud, though some have called thee
Mighty and dreadfull, for, thou art not so,
For, those, whom thou think'st, thou dost overthrow,
Die not, poore death, nor yet canst thou kill me.

#15 Banshees Scream

    Dwarf tosser

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,430 posts

Posted 16 February 2008 - 03:13 PM

Quote

And we will take our battle to the countries who sent us the birds

That's very Bush. As I read it I could hear the Bush-Texan accent within the words.

Now I see the point about 'killing all them birds' is a disguise for 'Extremists' since statistically in Iraq less then 5% of the people actually shooting at us are from Al Quada while the rest are just pissed off Arabs - who basically just don't want us in sacred land.

But I honestly think you might be getting the state of Texas and the majority of the United States of America a little confused.

#16 Cowboy Ronnie

    I Need To Get A Life!

  • Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,994 posts

Posted 21 February 2008 - 11:19 AM

I stand corrected, if we're to believe this actually happened.

I feel safer already

Not that we'd really know for sure one way or the other. Just like the "moon landings".

#17 The Miser

    Executioner

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 695 posts

Posted 21 February 2008 - 03:28 PM

View PostCowboy Ronnie, on Feb 21 2008, 06:19 AM, said:

I stand corrected, if we're to believe this actually happened.

I feel safer already

Not that we'd really know for sure one way or the other. Just like the "moon landings".


Kick-ass. Wahooo!!!! USA USA USA USA
2008 DDP: 15th place. 2009 DDP: 25th place. 2010 DDP: 12th place. 2011 DDP: 12th place; 2012 DDP: 6th place.

2013 DDP: 15th place.

DEATH be not proud, though some have called thee
Mighty and dreadfull, for, thou art not so,
For, those, whom thou think'st, thou dost overthrow,
Die not, poore death, nor yet canst thou kill me.

#18 Anubis the Jackal

    Twunt Master

  • Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,114 posts

Posted 21 February 2008 - 05:15 PM

Wheeeee!
Whoooosh!
Booooom!

Pardon me but I got to run
The fact's uncommonly clear
I got to find who's now the number one
And why my angel eyes ain't here

Excuse me while I disappear

#19 Cowboy Ronnie

    I Need To Get A Life!

  • Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,994 posts

Posted 21 February 2008 - 05:33 PM

View PostAnubis the Jackal, on Feb 21 2008, 05:15 PM, said:


Isn't that just footage of the last few seconds of the space shuttle Coumbia?

#20 Godot

    In a minute

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,860 posts

Posted 21 February 2008 - 11:47 PM

View PostCowboy Ronnie, on Feb 21 2008, 05:33 PM, said:

View PostAnubis the Jackal, on Feb 21 2008, 05:15 PM, said:


Isn't that just footage of the last few seconds of the space shuttle Columbia?
I bet it was a goose flying south for the winter.
Ring down the curtain, the farce is over




Reply to this topic



  


1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users