Might be where you're accessing the site. My work computer blanks out a few of the caption competition pictures. But I can definitely see a picture of Maryport harbour under my posts.

I swear, I didn't organise this and I'm - blub, blub - just so touched that the mods did.

Is that where there was a stranded dolphin recently?

Yep

Christened 'Marra' by the locals which means - more or less - 'friend' in Cumbrian.

When he was finally helped away another dolphin was sighted breaking the waves as Marra swam out into the Solway. Not a dry eye in the house. We're just waiting for a 'Free Willy' style blockbuster movie to start shootin' in the beautiful harbour.

Cheers to the mod who took it upon him/herself to add the picture below. As you might have guessed already: that's Maryport that is!

Is it as nice as it looks?

Yes! :D

And a few other things of note, the detached building on the harbourfront is the Sea Life Centre, and about the middle of the picture on the road round the harbour is one hell of a chip shop. Pleasant and quietish sorta spot albeit not exactly dripping with cash and home to a few excitable types. Fights of a weekend have been known.

Whaha - Fraserburgh has also magically appeared.

It's not as bright as Maryport because the sun is never out. Probably why we ended up with Scotland's first mainland lighthouse (or something)...

Cheers to the mod who took it upon him/herself to add the picture below. As you might have guessed already: that's Maryport that is!

Oi, Maryport! That's beautiful, that is!

Not quite as exciting as Maryport, this is where I live. We've two shops: a post-office and a butcher shop. A bus runs through here sometimes too... :blink:

Not quite as exciting as Maryport, this is where I live. We've two shops: a post-office and a butcher shop. A bus runs through here sometimes too... :blink:

And don't forget the crematorium just up the road.

Not quite as exciting as Maryport, this is where I live. We've two shops: a post-office and a butcher shop. A bus runs through here sometimes too... ;)

The daft thing about most of those town websites is that they don't actually tell you where the bloody place is.

Could be Benbecula for all the information they give you. A bit of recearch brought forth the information that it's in Somerset.

Which reminded me of the time I got pished in The Old Library in Taunton.

At the time, I was considering writing a story about a bookshop which doubled as a pub in the evening, so I was more than a little astounded to run into this place with all the bookshelves hanging from the roof, just like I'd imagined. Naturally I had to have a couple of drinks to settle my nerves.

:blink:

Not quite as exciting as Maryport, this is where I live. We've two shops: a post-office and a butcher shop. A bus runs through here sometimes too... ;)

The daft thing about most of those town websites is that they don't actually tell you where the bloody place is.

Could be Benbecula for all the information they give you. A bit of recearch brought forth the information that it's in Somerset.

Which reminded me of the time I got pished in The Old Library in Taunton.

At the time, I was considering writing a story about a bookshop which doubled as a pub in the evening, so I was more than a little astounded to run into this place with all the bookshelves hanging from the roof, just like I'd imagined. Naturally I had to have a couple of drinks to settle my nerves.

I still think of it as the library. Only been in there once since it became yet another soulless Tauntonian drinking den though, as I don't live down there anymore. My brother's stag night started there, and he was half-cut by the time we left at about 8.30. Happy days...

Fraserburgh is such a popular place that at the height of the cold war, someone decided it would be a good idea to set up a Nato base right next to the town. (If you look at the sig you will see the base on the hill).

So, basically my wee towns people were just waiting to be bombed throught the cold war.

Incidently, if you nuked Fraserburgh you would also take out the Oil and Gas plant at St. Fergus basically leaving Britain with limited power supplies.

So it could have been 2 for the price of one for the USSR. :blink:

Fraserburgh is such a popular place that at the height of the cold war, someone decided it would be a good idea to set up a Nato base right next to the town. (If you look at the sig you will see the base on the hill).

So, basically my wee towns people were just waiting to be bombed throught the cold war.

Incidently, if you nuked Fraserburgh you would also take out the Oil and Gas plant at St. Fergus basically leaving Britain with limited power supplies.

So it could have been 2 for the price of one for the USSR. :blink:

Not to mention the large dent it would make in the UK's Heroin consumption statistics.

That's why I'm not concerned about Terrorism; if they bomb Fraserburgh, Afghanistan will go bust.

That's one place in Britain they'll never ban smacking their kids!

... Could be Benbecula for all the information they give you. A bit of recearch brought forth the information that it's in Somerset.

Which reminded me of the time I got pished in The Old Library in Taunton....

I still think of it as the library. Only been in there once since it became yet another soulless Tauntonian drinking den though, as I don't live down there anymore. My brother's stag night started there, and he was half-cut by the time we left at about 8.30. Happy days...

The Old Library is an attractive place but has been spoiled, as you say Bald Rick.

I much prefer to get merry over at my mums place! She lives in a sheltered housing estate in a nice little bungalow, surrounded by hard-of-hearing OAP's ( not literally surrounding her, but in similar bungalows around her bungalow).

Anyhow, the drinks are free and I can play my ukulele ( badly mostly ) and sing along with my hollering sisters and out-of-tune mother until ungodly hours and no-one complains about the terrible noise we're making because the neighbours are all deaf! :lol:

You should pop in next time you're in the area guys! Bring ear plugs.

Christened 'Marra' by the locals which means - more or less - 'friend' in Cumbrian.

Thanks for that info MPFC. Many years ago I was told "Ah'm gonna bottle ye Marra!" by a drunken squaddie when I refused him entry to a student disco. I assumed he was a geordie, but am now heartened to realise that he may have been a Cumbrian, and therefore just wanted to be my friend! :lol:

Thanks for that info MPFC. Many years ago I was told "Ah'm gonna bottle ye Marra!" by a drunken squaddie when I refused him entry to a student disco. I assumed he was a geordie, but am now heartened to realise that he may have been a Cumbrian, and therefore just wanted to be my friend!

'Marra' is an odd one, the tone of voice can change the meaning. Think a Glaswegian saying: 'Are ye callin' me a liar, Pal?' and you realise you can use the word in a variety of ways, despite the literal meaning. I'd guess you were confronted by a Cumbrian. There are so few of us that strangers seldom spot the accent and accuse us of everything from Geordie to Brummie, neither is likely to improve the mood of a Cumbrian. Traditional hard working class/unemployment blackspot areas mean West Cumbria has always been a good recruiting ground for the army.

Re marra, nowt ironic with the dolphin, we liked him.

Born in New York City, lived in Connecticut, Germany, England, Italy, and Spain before moving to Fort Worth, Texas when I was 10. Currently living in Dallas (see below).

EDIT: changed sig, lost pic.

Born in New York City, lived in Connecticut, Germany, England, Italy, and Spain before moving to Fort Worth, Texas when I was 10. Currently living in Dallas (see below).

Do you know the Ewings? How about my former neighbor Mary?

I am informed that a resident of Fraserburgh made page 1, 4 and 5 of the Sun today (14th June) for having a 6 month affair with a prostitute from Aberdeen.

I can't understand why it made the paper, it's not like he is a celebrity. His wife and he live just round the corner from me.

Perhaps if I read it, it will make more sense...

I am informed that a resident of Fraserburgh made page 1, 4 and 5 of the Sun today (14th June) for having a 6 month affair with a prostitute from Aberdeen.

I can't understand why it made the paper, it's not like he is a celebrity. His wife and he live just round the corner from me.

I'd have a word with your informant if I were you, Wins. Just checked my copy of said red top and page one is full of a quote from a paedophile victim's dad and pages 4 or 5 are concerned with 'The Fury Of Becks' about a German paper calling his sister a pig. Couldn't see any mention of any extra marital activities in Fraserburgh.

Although I am led to understand that the Scots have different editions of our newspapers that only cover news stories of interest to theirselves and worldwide events that they may be involved in.

For example, no World Cup coverage, blokes banging prozzies and recipes for deep fat fried Believe bars.

:lol::):P

C'mon England!

Not sure I've posted in this thread before. I come from the Heavy Woollen District, makers and purveyors of blankets, beds and bombers. I used to work in the place in the picture and drink little else but Tetley Bitter. Today I sip wine with southerners as yet another class traitor.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Heavy_Woollen_District

I'd have a word with your informant if I were you, Wins. Just checked my copy of said red top and page one is full of a quote from a paedophile victim's dad and pages 4 or 5 are concerned with 'The Fury Of Becks' about a German paper calling his sister a pig. Couldn't see any mention of any extra marital activities in Fraserburgh.

:blink::blink::P

C'mon England!

My bad, it was the Scottish Sun.

There was a rather disturbing picture of the said person in stiletos.

Maryport,

I was chatting to my Cumbrian collegues over the weekend. When the subject of Maryport came up, they looked at each other, laughed and declared it 'A weird old place.' When pushed, they revealed that they were in the chippie one evening when a bloke walked in leading a horse on a piece of old string...and no-one else in the place batted an eyelid. Is this normal for Maryport?

(P.S. Nice merging Sir / Madam!)

I was chatting to my Cumbrian collegues over the weekend. When the subject of Maryport came up, they looked at each other, laughed and declared it 'A weird old place.' When pushed, they revealed that they were in the chippie one evening when a bloke walked in leading a horse on a piece of old string...and no-one else in the place batted an eyelid. Is this normal for Maryport?

Did the horse place an order?

regards,

Hein