←  DeathList extra-curricular

DeathList Forum

»

Football 

time's Photo time 08 Feb 2012

View Postsympathyforthedevil, on 08 February 2012 - 07:53 PM, said:

2 good bits of news for Harry Redknapp in one day. :D

Surely that's 3 bits? (caution - link is to BBC Sport website; sunglasses recommended)

sympathyforthedevil's Photo sympathyforthedevil 08 Feb 2012

View Posttime, on 08 February 2012 - 08:46 PM, said:

Surely that's 3 bits? (caution - link is to BBC Sport website; sunglasses recommended)

Er...that was the second bit. :huh:

millwall32's Photo millwall32 08 Feb 2012

I don't think the Cappello/ Redknapp stories (story?) will get that much attention on here.I haven't used this forum much lately but if I remember rightly most Deathlisters don't support Premiership teams and don't take all that much notice of England. It's mostly Championship, League 1,and even non-league supporters on here.

But if we find out that he resigned because of extreme ill-health and only has a few months to live.....

time's Photo time 08 Feb 2012

View Postsympathyforthedevil, on 08 February 2012 - 10:16 PM, said:

View Posttime, on 08 February 2012 - 08:46 PM, said:

Er...that was the second bit. :huh:

Ahhh. I was obviously reading something that wasn't there re the Ginola post prior to your original post..

Guest_American Sports Fan_* 22 Feb 2012

Portuguese legend Eusebio is in the hospital for the third time in two months.

DevonDeathTrip's Photo DevonDeathTrip 09 Mar 2012

Exeter City have just signed defender Jonathan Fortune.

He used to play for Charlton and, at the time, their back four usually lined up as: Young, FIsh, Costa, Fortune. :D

philheybrookbay's Photo philheybrookbay 11 Mar 2012

Saturdays Ryman One South match Whyteleafe v Hythe was abandoned when the Referee was stung by a Bee. He suffered servere reaction and was treated by Whyteleafe medical until Ambulance was able to attend and carry on treatment before taking him to hospital.

Turned out the 1st ambulance didn't the correct drugs so he had to wait some 25 minutes for the 2nd ambulance. Both linesman went to hospital hence the P-P.

Lifted from various Non League websites.
Edited by philheybrookbay, 11 March 2012 - 02:51 PM.

harrymcnallysblueandwhitearmy's Photo harrymcnallysblueandwhitearmy 09 Apr 2012

View Postharrymcnallysblueandwhitearmy, on 29 April 2011 - 04:24 PM, said:

View Postharrymcnallysblueandwhitearmy, on Aug 13 2010, 09:56 PM, said:

View PostDevonDeathTrip, on Aug 13 2010, 09:47 PM, said:

The FA Cup gets underway tomorrow...
I see we aren't eligible to win this year's FA Cup, but the Evo-Stik League One Div North should be a piece of piss. Come on Prescot Cables, Woodley Sports and Leigh Genesis, let's be avin ya.
It was, if you call winning the league by two goals after losing the final game while your rivals won 8-2 a piece of piss. Just six more promotions and we're in the Prem.
Posted Image

First Division North

1. Chester 44 14 6 2 15 4 3 29 10 5 107 36 71 97
2. Skelmersdale 44 14 4 4 16 3 3 30 7 7 117 48 69 97
3. Chorley 44 14 3 5 11 8 3 25 11 8 87 43 44 86
4. Curzon Ashton 44 14 4 4 11 6 5 25 10 9 85 49 36 85

Evo-Stik Premier tucked away in front of 5,009, not bad for a seventh-tier match.

maryportfuncity's Photo maryportfuncity 10 Apr 2012

Aye, as a supporter of a team who've also slumped to slumming it and made the most of the ensuing hardship, respect to Chester. We got over 10,000 in the Conference for the second leg of the play-off at Brunton Park and won it on penalties. As tense a time as I've ever seen there.

Incidentally, the resignation of Steve Evans at Crawley makes Carlisle's Greg Abbott the tenth longest serving league manager in England and Wales. Significant if only because the last time I looked Carlisle have had more changes of management than any other senior club in England and Wales since the war.

Octopus of Odstock's Photo Octopus of Odstock 17 Apr 2012

View Postharrymcnallysblueandwhitearmy, on 09 April 2012 - 06:26 PM, said:

It was, if you call winning the league by two goals after losing the final game while your rivals won 8-2 a piece of piss. Just six more promotions and we're in the Prem.
Posted Image

First Division North

1. Chester 44 14 6 2 15 4 3 29 10 5 107 36 71 97
2. Skelmersdale 44 14 4 4 16 3 3 30 7 7 117 48 69 97
3. Chorley 44 14 3 5 11 8 3 25 11 8 87 43 44 86
4. Curzon Ashton 44 14 4 4 11 6 5 25 10 9 85 49 36 85

Evo-Stik Premier tucked away in front of 5,009, not bad for a seventh-tier match.

Hope to see Chester in the Premier soon, we got there tonight and now Match of the Day is worth watching again and best of all, I don't have to watch the god-awful Football League show.

Come on you Royals!

Red Flag's Photo Red Flag 17 Apr 2012

View PostOctopus of Odstock, on 17 April 2012 - 09:13 PM, said:

Hope to see Chester in the Premier soon, we got there tonight and now Match of the Day is worth watching again and best of all, I don't have to watch the god-awful Football League show.

Come on you Royals!
Doubt the FLS will be there to watch for anyone next year. No great loss tbh

Well done to Reading. One of the few clubs no one particularly hates, as far as I can tell. Good to see them up there again, and under a great manager in Brian McDermott

MightyMoose's Photo MightyMoose 18 Apr 2012

View PostJamesB, on 17 April 2012 - 09:36 PM, said:

View PostOctopus of Odstock, on 17 April 2012 - 09:13 PM, said:

Come on you Royals!
Doubt the FLS will be there to watch for anyone next year. No great loss tbh

Well done to Reading. One of the few clubs no one particularly hates, as far as I can tell. Good to see them up there again, and under a great manager in Brian McDermott

Recalls a song on the Aldershot terraces way back that went :

"My old man said be a Reading fan, I said "fuck off, bollocks you're a cunt!"

So I think it's safe to say Aldershot don't like Reading.... (and they don't like audiobooks either - boom boom!) Having said that, in between songs bitching about the IRA, the list of clubs they "hate" is quite immense... Reading, Woking, Farnborough, Exeter, Leighton, Brighton, Any team with Graham Westley etc etc.

the_engineer's Photo the_engineer 18 Apr 2012

chelsea beating barca what season roberto di matteo is having as manager !

Red Flag's Photo Red Flag 24 Apr 2012

Football, bloody hell

I'm no Chelsea fan but that was incredible. One of the greatest matches I've ever seen

PS I think we need Geoff Shreeves to go and have a word with the Gibbs

MightyMoose's Photo MightyMoose 25 Apr 2012

Good tactical, battling performance from Chelsea, naive tactically from Barca in both legs.

To make a strategy like that work, you need to ride your luck a little and fair play to Chelsea, they did it. Can't say they didn't deserve it overall either.

As for the best game ever, that's a real stretch imo. I doubt many neutrals really count that on their all-time top 10 greatest games.

Wish I'd followed my instinct about 2 months ago and put $$$ on Real beating Chelsea in the final - Mourinho's final "fuck you" to Abramovich! Of course, Real have to get there, but I think they probably will.

Magere Hein's Photo Magere Hein 25 Apr 2012

View PostMightyMoose, on 25 April 2012 - 12:40 PM, said:

As for the best game ever, that's a real stretch imo. I doubt many neutrals really count that on their all-time top 10 greatest games.

As a neutral viewer I thoroughly enjoyed the match. Well done Chelsea, and all that.

Best game ever it wasn't. For that the 2005 final that Liverpool FC managed to win after a 3 goal deficit comes to mind.

regards,
Hein

Red Flag's Photo Red Flag 26 Apr 2012

I don't think it's the best game I've seen either. Wigan vs West Ham last year was pretty special

But in terms of the situation, the context of it, and all the sub-plots that were taking place as well (the previous matches they've played, Barca's defeat in El Clasico on the previous Saturday, the Terry sending off, Chelsea having their worst season in a decade etc), it's one of the greatest matches I've seen. This one will live long in the memory

MightyMoose's Photo MightyMoose 26 Apr 2012

Champions League Final 05 will always be a special game, of that there's no doubt. But I actually preferred both the Uefa 2001 final vs Alaves, 5-4, red cards, penalties, comebacks, a last minute equaliser, golden Own Goal in Extra Time, that game probably had it all - plus everyone said it was going to be very boring! Or the other one would be the 2006 FA Cup final, after a boring 25 minutes, the Carragher calamity opened it up.

But my personal call would be Liverpool 4 Newcastle 3 in 1996. That was just 2 teams going for a slug fest, end to end all game, with the last minute clincher. Just brilliant.

Reading vs Bolton in a play off final was good for the neutral - though not the Reading fans, same as Gillingham vs Man City.

I consider Tuesdays game to be riveting, tense & nail biting, but not edge of the seat exciting, just my personal opinion of course!

Octopus of Odstock's Photo Octopus of Odstock 26 Apr 2012

I think the best game I remember is the Everton-Liverpool 4-4 FA Cup tie c. 1991, but that wasn't actually live, but left you shagged out just watching it.

In terms of live games, the Coventry City vs Tottenham Hotspur 1987 F.A. Cup final instantly stands out. My personal favourite live match was Reading 6-0 West Ham Utd back in 2007, but that's just biased talk.

I don't know if DDT remembers it, but I seem to remember a 6-4 win over Exeter back in the early 90's. If watching Ceefax for score updates counts as watching a game "live" in the pre-Sky Sports days, then that's up there too.