dead

842 replies to this topic

#1 Our Sole

Sniper

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 122 posts

Posted 01 June 2004 - 12:44 PM

Perhaps Mr Mandela is getting ready to accept the inevitable......

http://news.bbc.co.u...ica/3765913.stm
"I have long been of the opinion that if work were such a splendid thing the rich would have kept more of it for themselves." ~ Bruce Grocott

#2 Paul Bearer

Zombie Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,267 posts

Posted 01 June 2004 - 04:20 PM

Quote...... Mandela 'to lead quieter life'

Nelson Mandela, hero of South Africa's anti-apartheid struggle, says he will withdraw from public life. Surely a sign?
Remember Alistair Cooke said something similar...... 4 weeks later..... the rest is history... :unsure:
This is true my form is something odd,
But blaming me is blaming God;
Could I create myself anew
I would not fail in pleasing you.

#3 The Yeti

Assassin

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 766 posts

Posted 02 June 2004 - 12:01 AM

Well he looked pretty chirpy in the interview when he 'retired'.
Mind you, the mind may be willing, but the body ...
life, n : the whim of several billion cells to be with you for a while.

Dodo deado, Dodi deado, Di deado, Dando deado ... Surely Dido's looking dodgy ?

Despite the high cost of living, it still seems popular.

#4 The Four Horsemen

Assassin

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 984 posts

Posted 02 June 2004 - 09:28 AM

The news on Radio 2 yesterday described him as "increasingly frail" and "needs a stick to walk" - he sounded in fine fettle mind you.
It is surely better to be pissed off than pissed on

#5 Anubis the Jackal

Twunt Master

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,114 posts

Posted 10 June 2004 - 10:40 AM

Give him 20 months max.

JOHANNESBURG (AFP) - South Africa's anti-apartheid icon and one of the world's most revered statesman, Nelson Mandela, announced that he will be scaling back his public schedule to enjoy "a much quieter life."

Mandela, who turns 86 next month, said he wanted to spend time with his family and friends, write memoirs about his tenure as South Africa's first black president, enjoy reading and engage in "quiet reflection".

Pardon me but I got to run
The fact's uncommonly clear
I got to find who's now the number one
And why my angel eyes ain't here

Excuse me while I disappear

#6 Rude Kid

Shipman

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 278 posts

Posted 30 July 2004 - 09:41 AM

The latest on NM:

http://news.bbc.co.u...ica/3934525.stm

BBC News said:

...the numerous phone calls and guests Mr Mandela receives every day. Let alone the places and people he decides to visit on the spur of the moment.

Those who've worked with him say quite plainly that Mr Mandela is a workaholic.
Posted Image That could be a good thing or a bad thing at his age, but I don't reckon I'll be putting him in my team just yet.
Rude Kid
Co-organiser, Derby Dead Pool

#7 Guest_sirius dogstar_*

• Guests

Posted 23 November 2004 - 02:20 AM

Am a bit worried about Nelson Mandela. Aint heard nothing bout him for some time now. Coul;d he be next for the chop?

#8 Guest_Fugley_*

• Guests

Posted 24 November 2004 - 01:08 AM

Nope, I hear the old goat is taking legal action to protect his name being used to endorse unauthorised products/services. Sound like he is still alive to me.
:rolleyes:

#9 football_fan

I have no life

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,617 posts

Posted 26 November 2004 - 05:05 PM

sirius dogstar, on Nov 23 2004, 02:20 AM, said:

Am a bit worried about Nelson Mandela. Aint heard nothing bout him for some time now. Coul;d he be next for the chop?
From what I have seen, he does not appear to be frail and has not yet withdrawn from public life. At 86, he is very active and still making numerous appearances for different causes.

Nelson Mandela meets Tony Blair in London

Nelson Mandela at fundraising event
"A jury consists of twelve people who determine which client has the better lawyer".
- Robert Frost

#10 Paul Bearer

Zombie Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,267 posts

Posted 26 November 2004 - 06:13 PM

Nelson Mandela, hero of South Africa's anti-apartheid struggle, says he will withdraw from public life. Surely a sign?
Remember Alistair Cooke said something similar...... 4 weeks later..... the rest is history...

Lasted longer than I thought he would Good on him
This is true my form is something odd,
But blaming me is blaming God;
Could I create myself anew
I would not fail in pleasing you.

#11 football_fan

I have no life

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,617 posts

Posted 06 January 2005 - 01:58 PM

His only surviving son has just died in hospital after being in critical condition for several weeks. It's going to be interesting how much longer he will continue keep going after this tragedy.

Nelson Mandela's eldest son dies
"A jury consists of twelve people who determine which client has the better lawyer".
- Robert Frost

#12 weatherman90

Executioner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 692 posts

Posted 06 January 2005 - 03:09 PM

Maybe it's just me, but Nelson Mandela just seems like someone with enough strength to live well into his 90s. He hasn't had any notable health problems, and he survived being imprisoned into his 70s. I'm guessing he will die somewhere along the lines of 93-96.
"I really wish I had a signature." - Weatherman90

#13 Guest_dimpeepers_*

• Guests

Posted 07 January 2005 - 12:41 AM

:( Just seen Nelson Mandela on the tellybox today, not looking well bless him, and nearing 90. :old: Some of his 'companions' look v young in comparison, perhaps theyll wear him out.
He was talking bout his son who died recently from AIDS!! So maybe a risk there too?:dead:
Plus someone should shoot him for wearing those really dodgy burtons shirts>

Another pre-dead president to add to the list. others not included...

Jimmy carter -recently ill oldy.
Maggie t -getting increasingly doddery, I hope tony didnt pay her the winter fuel allowance this year!
Micky Gorbachov- post op cancer. And that thing on his head? :o
George Bush Snr - a son like his bound to worry him :(
Augusto Pinochet - If his memory comes back the guilt could finish hin. :P

#14 weatherman90

Executioner

• Members
  • 692 posts

Posted 07 January 2005 - 01:51 AM

dimpeepers, on Jan 7 2005, 12:41 AM, said:

:( Just seen Nelson Mandela on the tellybox today, not looking well bless him, and nearing 90. :( Some of his 'companions' look v young in comparison, perhaps theyll wear him out.
He was talking bout his son who died recently from AIDS!! So maybe a risk there too?:dead:
Plus someone should shoot him for wearing those really dodgy burtons shirts>

Another pre-dead president to add to the list. others not included...

Jimmy carter -recently ill oldy.
Maggie t -getting increasingly doddery, I hope tony didnt pay her the winter fuel allowance this year!
Micky Gorbachov- post op cancer. And that thing on his head? :o
George Bush Snr - a son like his bound to worry him :(
Augusto Pinochet - If his memory comes back the guilt could finish hin. :P
I think you just see a person over 80 and think he's a dead cert, which is certainly the wrong way to be looking at things. :old: :( :(

#15 Josco

I Need To Get A Life!

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,839 posts

Posted 07 January 2005 - 12:53 PM

I think you just see a person over 80 and think he's a dead cert, which is certainly the wrong way to be looking at things.

We are all dead certs, not if but when.
"If you have nothing to hide you have nothing to fear...." Jacqui Smith - Ex-Home Secretary (and many other misguided fools)
"I fear having to prove I have nothing to hide." Josco

"Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves".
William Pitt, 1783

Shaw's Principle: "Build a system that even a fool can use, and only a fool will want to use it."

#16 ixion

Hatchet man

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 27 posts

Posted 09 January 2005 - 11:37 PM

he'll be doing the "long walk to the end of the tunnel"

#17 Magere Hein

Film land, Homer!

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,765 posts

Posted 15 January 2005 - 06:44 PM

I just saw some footage of Mr Mandela at his son Makgatho's funeral. He didn't look very well.

See this BBC news article for a review of the funeral.

regards,
Hein
DDP 2014 team The Grey Horde:
King Abdullah of Saudi Arabia, Ayman al-Zawahiri, Lys Assia, Sister Wendy Beckett, Ryan Buell Posted Image,Jacques Chirac, Felix Dennis, Aretha Franklin, Ruth Bader Ginsburg, Marilyn Horne, Clive James, General Wojciech Jaruzelski, Wilko Johnson, Helmut Kohl, Joseph Kony, Misao Okawa, Bernie Madoff, Robert Mugabe, Julie Newmar, Michael Schumacher

DDP 2014 theme team Minions of Xuleneb:
King Albert II, Princess Beatrix, Prince Bernhard jr, Elco Brinkman, Corry Brokken, Dick Bruna, Raymond Ceulemans, Godfried Danneels, Piet de Jong, Mark Eyskens, Queen Fabiola Of Belgium Posted Image, Jan Janssen, Grand Duke Jean I of Luxembourg, Wubbo Ockels, Fernando Ricksen, Kees Rijvers, Wim Ruska, Toots Thielemans, Martinus J. G. Veltman, Geert Wilders
This is rather as if you imagine a puddle waking up one morning and thinking, 'This is an interesting world I find myself in — an interesting hole I find myself in — fits me rather neatly, doesn't it? In fact it fits me staggeringly well, must have been made to have me in it!'
Douglas Adams on the Anthropic Principle. From The Salmon of Doubt

#18 weatherman90

Executioner

• Members
  • 692 posts

Posted 15 January 2005 - 06:49 PM

Magere Hein, on Jan 15 2005, 06:44 PM, said:

I just saw some footage of Mr Mandela at his son Makgatho's funeral. He didn't look very well.

See this BBC news article for a review of the funeral.

regards,
Hein
Take into consideration, how well is he supposed to look at 86 years old after being imprisoned for 27 years? I think he has alot of physical and mental strength to pull through those times.

#19 Guest_johnny the fox_*

• Guests

Posted 16 January 2005 - 03:11 PM

OH WELL THATS WHAT YOU GET FOR PLANTING BOMBS IN SHOPPING CENTRES

HE JUST DESERVES TO DIE

THE SOONER THE BETTER

#20 Magere Hein

Film land, Homer!

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,765 posts

Posted 16 January 2005 - 04:31 PM

johnny the fox, on Jan 16 2005, 03:11 PM, said:

OH WELL THATS WHAT YOU GET FOR PLANTING BOMBS IN SHOPPING CENTRES

HE JUST DESERVES TO DIE

THE SOONER THE BETTER
Ooooh, someone's confused, and in all upper case too.

I'm so impressed.

regards,
Hein
DDP 2014 team The Grey Horde:
King Abdullah of Saudi Arabia, Ayman al-Zawahiri, Lys Assia, Sister Wendy Beckett, Ryan Buell Posted Image,Jacques Chirac, Felix Dennis, Aretha Franklin, Ruth Bader Ginsburg, Marilyn Horne, Clive James, General Wojciech Jaruzelski, Wilko Johnson, Helmut Kohl, Joseph Kony, Misao Okawa, Bernie Madoff, Robert Mugabe, Julie Newmar, Michael Schumacher

DDP 2014 theme team Minions of Xuleneb:
King Albert II, Princess Beatrix, Prince Bernhard jr, Elco Brinkman, Corry Brokken, Dick Bruna, Raymond Ceulemans, Godfried Danneels, Piet de Jong, Mark Eyskens, Queen Fabiola Of Belgium Posted Image, Jan Janssen, Grand Duke Jean I of Luxembourg, Wubbo Ockels, Fernando Ricksen, Kees Rijvers, Wim Ruska, Toots Thielemans, Martinus J. G. Veltman, Geert Wilders
This is rather as if you imagine a puddle waking up one morning and thinking, 'This is an interesting world I find myself in — an interesting hole I find myself in — fits me rather neatly, doesn't it? In fact it fits me staggeringly well, must have been made to have me in it!'
Douglas Adams on the Anthropic Principle. From The Salmon of Doubt

Reply to this topic

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users