254 replies to this topic

#21 Lady Die

I have no life

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,651 posts

Posted 01 March 2006 - 04:04 PM

View Posthandrejka, on Mar 1 2006, 02:53 PM, said:

Like Lady Die my other half does most of the cooking. He made a mess of the pancakes yesterday though (I'm sure there's a joke in there). Mind you pancakes that go wrong are always nicer that one's that go right.
They still taste the same even if they are just a blob of batter :)
There were three of us in the morgue so it was rather crowded

#22 Captain Oates

Post-Twunt

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,240 posts

Posted 01 March 2006 - 07:14 PM

Captain's Mate (who doubles as Galley Slave) sends congratulations to in eternum+ for those expertly shaped and delicious-looking wontons and is curious to know what they contained.

Our pancakes were home-made french crêpes with sugar and lemon and butter. It took quite a bit of practice for the cook (*not me) to get them the right shape. The early ones were very blobby but we just kept on making them and eating them until they came right . :D Yummy!

* Do any DLers do their own cooking?

"Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one." A.E.

#23 Boudicca

Stealth-mode addict

• Moderators
  • 1,242 posts

Posted 01 March 2006 - 08:23 PM

View PostPhantom, on Feb 28 2006, 08:49 PM, said:

soft boiled quails eggs in tartletts on a bed of baby spinach and crystalized ginger
served that up as a buffet dish at my wedding and one of the guests looked at it and said "haven't you got any normal food"? :D

I have that problem every time I go out with my Chav sister.

She's intimidated by PizzaExpress :lol:
Valar morghulis.

#24 Tempus Fugit

Twunt Master

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,819 posts

Posted 01 March 2006 - 08:29 PM

View PostCaptain Oates, on Mar 1 2006, 07:14 PM, said:

I do pretty much all my own cooking, I have a few dishes I do well,

these are Spaghetti bolognese, chilli con carne, lemon chicken, shepherds pie and tuna pasta bake.
"I have a new philosophy. I'm only going to dread one day at a time."

It's been over 21 months since I was last 100% sober, not a day I want to repeat.

#25 Boudicca

Stealth-mode addict

• Moderators
  • 1,242 posts

Posted 01 March 2006 - 08:31 PM

I like Tuna Pasta.

Recipe?
Valar morghulis.

#26 Windsor

LFN Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,324 posts

Posted 01 March 2006 - 08:33 PM

I just get the maid...I mean...my mother to do all the cooking. Much easier.
Shadow List 2014.

Wilko Johnson, Muhammed Ali, Helen Fawkes, David Norris, Flora Fraser, Stephen Lewis, Jim Bowen, John Bardon, Albert Reynolds, Rev Billy Graham, Daisy Berkowitz, Wojciech Jaeuzelski, Clive James, Robert Mugabe, George H. W. Bush, Leslie Phillips, Zsa Zsa Gabor, Stephen Hawking, Nancy Reagan, Jeremy Thorpe, Cardinal Keith O'Brien, Tariq Aziz, Murray Walker, Stuart Hall, Luise Rainer, Liz Dawn, Bob Dole, Edgar Ray Killen, Prince Philip, Paul O'Grady, Arthur Scargill, Jalal Talabani, Iain Paisley, Mikhail Gorbachez, Sean Connery, Jimmy Greaves, Sir Nicholas Winton, Sam Simon, Derek Fowlds, Pope Benedict XVI, Richard Attenborough, Harlan Ellison, Fidel Castro, Valerie Harper, Saif al-Isam Megrahi, Queen Fabiola, Ariel Sharon, Liz Smith, Bruce Forsyth, Fred Phelps.

2009: 13/50, 2010: 10/50, 2011: 9/50, 2012: 15/50, 2013:16/50, 2014: 7/50 Winner of the 2010 Dustpool.

#27 Tempus Fugit

Twunt Master

• Members
  • 3,819 posts

Posted 01 March 2006 - 08:48 PM

View PostBoudicca, on Mar 1 2006, 08:31 PM, said:

I like Tuna Pasta.

Recipe?

Cook the desired amount of tricolore pasta spirals until al dente, empty into a large dish, add a couple of finely chopped fried onions, two tins of tuna in sunflower oil. To this stir in a jar of Salsina garlic and herb tomato sauce and one can of chopped tomatoes with garlic and herbs, add extra dried herbs to taste plus ground black pepper. Also a generous splosh of Worcestershire sauce, mix it all together in the baking dish add breadcrumbs and grated Cheddar or Parmesan cheese to the top. Bake in a moderate oven for approximately 40 mins.
"I have a new philosophy. I'm only going to dread one day at a time."

It's been over 21 months since I was last 100% sober, not a day I want to repeat.

#28 Paul Bearer

Zombie Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,257 posts

Posted 01 March 2006 - 08:52 PM

View PostTempus Fugit, on Mar 1 2006, 08:48 PM, said:

View PostBoudicca, on Mar 1 2006, 08:31 PM, said:

I like Tuna Pasta.

Recipe?

Cook the desired amount of tricolore pasta spirals until al dente, empty into a large dish, add a couple of finely chopped fried onions, two tins of tuna in sunflower oil. To this stir in a jar of Salsina garlic and herb tomato sauce and one can of chopped tomatoes with garlic and herbs, add extra dried herbs to taste plus ground black pepper. Also a generous splosh of Worcestershire sauce, mix it all together in the baking dish add breadcrumbs and grated Cheddar or Parmesan cheese to the top. Bake in a moderate oven for approximately 40 mins.

Yummy
This is true my form is something odd,
But blaming me is blaming God;
Could I create myself anew
I would not fail in pleasing you.

#29 Boudicca

Stealth-mode addict

• Moderators
  • 1,242 posts

Posted 01 March 2006 - 08:58 PM

Thank you! I make my pasta with tricolore fusilli, but I use balsamic vinegar instead of Worcestershire Sauce.

This is nothing to do with my post-count BTW.

So near, and yet so far..
Valar morghulis.

#30 Rotten Ali

Value for money

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,273 posts

Posted 01 March 2006 - 09:01 PM

I'm reading all this food stuff as I eat and you are all making me hungry.
Anywhy, I'm writing this post to say I've yet to see anyone say they have freshly squized orange juice on their pancakes. The nack being having cooked the pancake you serve it onto a plate, lightly sprinkle with sugar. Then roll it into a tight tube like shape. Poor over it half a medium sized orange and then sprinkle with a little more sugar. Thats loads of calories but heaven for those with a sweet tooth.
Yes yes yes yes yes... yes yes yes yes, no!

(Trevor Peacock as Jim Trott in the Vicar of Dibley)

DL Shadow List: King Abdullah, Muhammad Ali, Sir Richard Attenborough, Tariq Aziz, Pope Benedict XVI, Tony Benn, Ian Brady, George HW Bush, Sid Caeser, Fidel Castro, George Cole, Katherine Crowe, Liz Dawn, Bob Dole, Kirk Douglas, Jean Claude Duvalier, Queen Fabiola of Belgium, Louis Farrakhan, Aretha Franklin, Zsa Zsa Gabor, James Garner, Ruth Bader Ginsburg, Mikhail Gorbachev, Billy Graham, King Harald V of Norway, Valerie Harper, Joao Havelange, Stephen Hawking, Jimmy Hill, Clive James, Yahya Jammeh, General Jaruzelski, Wilko Johnson, Casey Kasem, Stan Lee, Jerry Lee Lewis, Penny Marshall, T O N Mbasogo, Mary Tyler Moore, Hosni Mubarak, Ian Paisley, Nancy Reagan, Albert Reynolds, Ariel Sharon, Sam Simon, Jeremy Thorpe, Gough Whitlam, Lee Kuan Yew, Michael York & Jiang Zemin. 12/50

#31 Lady Grendel

Assassing

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,884 posts

Posted 01 March 2006 - 09:16 PM

I do all the cooking in our house, my specialities being curries (lamb kofta meatballs are my favourite), anything you can roast, chilli con carne and baking. I'm not great at pasta dishes apart from Carbonara but I'll be trying your tuna pasta TF, sounds delicious :D .

#32 Godot

In a minute

• Members
  • 3,860 posts

Posted 02 March 2006 - 01:12 AM

Hey Stab, I do the orange juice bit but I start with savoury pancake with crem fresh, spinach and a bit of nutmeg and pepper, then follow with maybe one with pears and chocolate sauce or one with orange juice, crem fresh and maybe a few strawberries with a bit Cointreux if I have some (which I didn't yesterday).

I cook quite a lot. I like to kill my own food too if I can.

Here's my recipe for smoked trout:

1. Catch a trout, gut it, then leave it overnight to get rid of the lactic acid in the muscle.
2. Smoke it

Fantastic with salad.
Ring down the curtain, the farce is over

#33 Magere Hein

Film land, Homer!

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,730 posts

Posted 02 March 2006 - 01:19 AM

View PostGodot, on Mar 2 2006, 02:12 AM, said:

Here's my recipe for smoked trout:

1. Catch a trout, gut it, then leave it overnight to get rid of the lactic acid in the muscle.
2. Smoke it

Fantastic with salad.
I've smoked many different things, but trout's not among them. Salad neither, as such.

regards,
Hein
DDP 2014 team The Grey Horde:
King Abdullah of Saudi Arabia, Ayman al-Zawahiri, Lys Assia, Sister Wendy Beckett, Ryan Buell Posted Image,Jacques Chirac, Felix Dennis, Aretha Franklin, Ruth Bader Ginsburg, Marilyn Horne, Clive James, General Wojciech Jaruzelski, Wilko Johnson, Helmut Kohl, Joseph Kony, Misao Okawa, Bernie Madoff, Robert Mugabe, Julie Newmar, Michael Schumacher

DDP 2014 theme team Minions of Xuleneb:
King Albert II, Princess Beatrix, Prince Bernhard jr, Elco Brinkman, Corry Brokken, Dick Bruna, Raymond Ceulemans, Godfried Danneels, Piet de Jong, Mark Eyskens, Queen Fabiola Of Belgium Posted Image, Jan Janssen, Grand Duke Jean I of Luxembourg, Wubbo Ockels, Fernando Ricksen, Kees Rijvers, Wim Ruska, Toots Thielemans, Martinus J. G. Veltman, Geert Wilders

#34 in eternum+

Post-Twunt

• Members
  • 1,229 posts

Posted 02 March 2006 - 03:53 AM

View PostCaptain Oates, on Mar 1 2006, 02:14 PM, said:

Captain's Mate (who doubles as Galley Slave) sends congratulations to in eternum+ for those expertly shaped and delicious-looking wontons and is curious to know what they contained.

I personally love cooking, and do so almost every day. Not only do I find it very relaxing, but there is usually something delicious to consume at the end. Also, I prefer to know what's in the food I'm eating and can therefore rarely bring myself to purchase pre-prepared items, as after I've read the ingredients I'm generally put off.

With regard to wonton stuffing, it is as follows:

ground pork - not too lean
ginger - very finely chopped
spring onions - also very finely chopped
salt
1 egg for every lb-or-so of meat

Mix it all up and hey-presto! I've also been informed that wontons are less about the stuffing, and more about the wonton wrappers. You should therefore never try to put too much meat in any one wonton.

(PS. If you're interested in knowing about what goes in the wonton sauce, just let me know! It involves a particularly pleasant 'tongue-numbing' spice.)
Proud to be Old Skool

#35 Lady Grendel

Assassing

• Moderators
  • 1,884 posts

Posted 02 March 2006 - 11:59 AM

View Postin eternum+, on Mar 2 2006, 03:53 AM, said:

(PS. If you're interested in knowing about what goes in the wonton sauce, just let me know! It involves a particularly pleasant 'tongue-numbing' spice.)

I'd love to know the wonton sauce recipe :angry:

#36 Captain Oates

Post-Twunt

• Members
  • 1,240 posts

Posted 02 March 2006 - 01:08 PM

View PostLady Grendel, on Mar 2 2006, 11:59 AM, said:

View Postin eternum+, on Mar 2 2006, 03:53 AM, said:

I'd love to know the wonton sauce recipe :angry:

Same here, albeit on behalf of the Galley Slave. :) (Even better if there's a veggie version.)

"Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one." A.E.

#37 Lady Grendel

Assassing

• Moderators
  • 1,884 posts

Posted 02 March 2006 - 04:26 PM

I like this recipe served with pancakes:

50g (2oz) butter - 1 tablespoon Olive Oil - 4 peeled bananas - 3 tablespoons dark muscovado sugar - 2 tablespoons Grand Marnier or brandy - juice of 1 orange - juice of 1 lime - 1/2 small jar of marmalade (I use FairTrade's swazi Kitchen kumquat marmalade but any thick cut marmalade would do)

Melt the butter & oil in a saucepan, cut each banana into into 3 pieces and add to the butter, fry until turning brown, sprinkle with sugar and turn gently, add Grand Marnier then warm for a minute, flame the sauce, once the flames have died down lift the bananas into a serving dish and keep warm, add the fruit juices and marmalade to the saucepan, stir together and cook until reduced by half, pour over the bananas and serve with cream and pancakes.

I don't like bananas but I love this recipe.

#38 BrunoBrimley

I REALLY Need To Get A Life!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,330 posts

Posted 02 March 2006 - 04:44 PM

View PostLady Grendel, on Mar 2 2006, 04:26 PM, said:

2 tablespoons Grand Marnier or brandy -

How about both?

#39 Lady Grendel

Assassing

• Moderators
  • 1,884 posts

Posted 02 March 2006 - 06:09 PM

View PostBrunoBrimley, on Mar 2 2006, 04:44 PM, said:

View PostLady Grendel, on Mar 2 2006, 04:26 PM, said:

2 tablespoons Grand Marnier or brandy -

How about both?

Perhaps the following recipe for Xmas cake may be more to your taste BB:

Ingredients:
1 cup of water 1 tsp baking soda
1 cup of sugar 1 tsp salt
1 cup of brown sugar lemon juice
4 large eggs nuts
1 bottle Johnnie Walker whisky 2 cups of dried fruit

Sample the Johnnie Walker to check quality.
Take a large bowl, check the whisky again.
To be sure it is the highest quality, pour one level cup and drink.
Repeat.
Turn on the electric mixer.
Beat one cup of butter in a large fluffy bowl. Add one teaspoon of sugar. Beat again. Make sure the whisky is still OK. Try another cup.
Turn off the mixerer. Break 2 leggs and add to the bowl and chuck in the cup of dried fruit. Mix on the turner. If the fried druit gets stuck in the beaterers pry it loose with a drewscriver.
Sample the whisky to check for tonsisticity. Next, sift two cups of salt. Or something. Who cares. Check the whisky.
Now sift the lemon juice and strain your nuts. Add one table.
Add a spoon of sugar, or something. Whatever you can find. Greash the oven and put in the fridge. Turn the cake tin 350 defrees.
Don't forget to beat off the turner. Throw the bowl through the window.
Check the whisky again and go to bed.

#40 Boudicca

Stealth-mode addict

• Moderators
  • 1,242 posts

Posted 02 March 2006 - 08:21 PM

During a recent trip to Mr. B's home town in The Midlands, I had some chips, and they were amazing compared to the soggy anaemic chips sold in London.

Do they get better the further north one goes?
Valar morghulis.

Reply to this topic

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users