Dead

92 replies to this topic

#1 Grim Reaper

Post-Twunt

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,239 posts

Posted 12 May 2004 - 08:01 PM

An encouraging documentary on Evel Knievel earlier on Channel 5.

Evel is apparently on 48 pills a day, had a liver transplant, has a wife 33 years his junior and, even though in his mid-sixties, is talking of that one last jump ;)

2005 would be the perfect year for the big jump IMO - go for it Evel ;)

Edited by DevonDeathTrip, 08 November 2011 - 07:37 PM.

#2 Death Watch Beatle

I Need To Get A Life!

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,595 posts

Posted 12 May 2004 - 08:24 PM

Following on from my Hep. List, a recap on the liver transplant fiasco.

Evel Knievel: The motorcycle daredevil had a liver transplant more than two years ago and later said doctors could find no trace of the virus in his blood.

What a gutter... and I don't mean in the World's Strongest Man sense!

DWB ;)

#3 Death Watch Beatle

I Need To Get A Life!

• Admin
  • 1,595 posts

Posted 13 May 2004 - 04:04 PM

Also don't forget England's version of Knievel - Eddie Kidd. He came a cropper on his chopper in 1996. The quote below is from his web-site.

After my accident, I fell into a coma for many months and had sustained serious injuries, including an injury to my brain. I regained conciousness much to the relief and delight to, not only my friends and family, but to my millions of worldwide fans that had followed me throughout my daredevil career. These severe injuries have left me confined to a wheelchair, however, this does not prevent me from leading a full and rewarding life. Even now I have to get my hands around a throttle and spend many hours riding around on my quad bike.......... Once a biker always a biker. I spend a great deal of my time working to combat this disability. My friends are fantastic and I know they are always there to support me and give me fresh hope and courage.......I absolutely refuse to let this beat me......

Bikes and the DeathList seem like a match made in heaven!

DWB ;)

#4 Stayin Alive

Executioner

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 738 posts

Posted 14 May 2004 - 10:05 PM

I do hope this isn't a wind-up guys...

#5 The Yeti

Assassin

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 766 posts

Posted 16 May 2004 - 12:45 AM

Death Watch Beatle, on May 13 2004, 05:04 PM, said:

Bikes and the DeathList seem like a match made in heaven!
Actually, they seem to be more resilient than than most, if these are typical examples.
Seems they can just about have everything possible go wrong with them, but still have the engine ticking over.
life, n : the whim of several billion cells to be with you for a while.

Dodo deado, Dodi deado, Di deado, Dando deado ... Surely Dido's looking dodgy ?

Despite the high cost of living, it still seems popular.

#6 Death Watch Beatle

I Need To Get A Life!

• Admin
  • 1,595 posts

Posted 16 May 2004 - 07:47 AM

True enough . . . bikers do seem a bit reluctant to flick the kill switch - but there is hope though! Eddie says he enjoys riding his quad-bike these days - just like Rik Mayall and Ozzy Osbourne did!

DWB ;)

#7 The Yeti

Assassin

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 766 posts

Posted 17 May 2004 - 01:55 AM

Death Watch Beatle, on May 16 2004, 08:47 AM, said:

just like Rik Mayall and Ozzy Osbourne did!
Also both still ticking over !

Do we know of anyone famous who've copped it by riding one of these infernal machines ?
life, n : the whim of several billion cells to be with you for a while.

Dodo deado, Dodi deado, Di deado, Dando deado ... Surely Dido's looking dodgy ?

Despite the high cost of living, it still seems popular.

#8 Death Watch Beatle

I Need To Get A Life!

• Admin
  • 1,595 posts

Posted 17 May 2004 - 07:06 AM

Lawrence of Arabia copped it on a motorcycle.

In March 1935 Lawrence left the RAF. Two months later he was involved in a serious motor-cycle accident near his home in Dorset. Thomas Edward Lawrence died from his injuries six days later.

However, I am not privvy to the DeathList of 1935, so am unable to assertain if this was a score or not.

Billy Idol had a go at FUBARing himself in 1990, but again seems to have got away with it.

Idol was in a motorcycle accident in which almost lost his leg.

These people didn't ride for a living, so prediction is almost impossible.

DWB ;)

#9 Typhoid Harry

Post-Twunt

• Moderators
  • 1,214 posts

Posted 24 June 2004 - 09:05 PM

I saw Mr. Awful Knawful in a local watering hole a few months ago and he looked, in a word, awful. Jaundiced and emaciated, he never the less downed at least six Jack Daniels on the rocks during the hour and a half I was there - definitely a candidate for '05, if he holds out that long.
I'm not sure if it's Marxism in action or a West End musical... - Dr. Who

#10 Stayin Alive

Executioner

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 738 posts

Posted 25 June 2004 - 01:32 AM

This isn't a wind up is it?

#11 Typhoid Harry

Post-Twunt

• Moderators
  • 1,214 posts

Posted 25 June 2004 - 03:55 PM

Nope, he's still kickin' and screaming, unfortunately, but he's definitely a favorite for '05. Again, if he holds out that long.
I'm not sure if it's Marxism in action or a West End musical... - Dr. Who

#12 Guest_Cody_*

• Guests

Posted 09 May 2005 - 11:39 PM

Grim Reaper, on May 12 2004, 08:01 PM, said:

An encouraging documentary on Evel Knievel earlier on Channel 5.

Evel is apparently on 48 pills a day, had a liver transplant, has a wife 33 years his junior and, even though in his mid-sixties, is talking of that one last jump :P

2005 would be the perfect year for the big jump IMO - go for it Evel ;)
When did Evel Knievel die? :P

#13 eejit

Bomber

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 199 posts

Posted 10 May 2005 - 06:06 AM

He didn't. That's what we're all waiting like vultures for.
DDP 2014 - Billy Graham, Christy Dignam, Clive James, Fidel Castro, Helen Fawkes, Ian Paisley, Kate Granger, Katherine Crowe, Kirk Douglas, Michael Schumacher, Muhammad Ali, Robert Mugabe, Sally Farmiloe, Sam Simon, Scott Putesky, Tito Vilanova, Valerie Harper, Wilko Johnson,Wojciech Jaruzelski, Zsa Zsa Gabor

DPP 2013 77th, 7 deaths - DPP 2012 65th, 5 deaths - DPP 2011 50th, 6 deaths - DPP 2010 57th, 6 deaths - DPP 2009 16th,12 deaths - DPP 2008 18th, 8 deaths - DPP 2007 14th, 8 deaths - DPP 2006 83rd, 3 deaths - DPP 2005 68th, 3 deaths

#14 Misanthropy-life

Hatchet man

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 35 posts

Posted 10 May 2005 - 09:43 AM

Evel Knievel is alive :P ;) :P

#15 MyBrainHurts2

Shipman

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 334 posts

Posted 20 May 2006 - 01:58 AM

Evel Knievel update.

Idiopathic pulmonary fibrosis, recovering from a stroke...hoping he can hold on for another six and a half months.
I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy.

#16 Canadian Paul

uber twunt

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,132 posts

Posted 20 May 2006 - 03:10 AM

View PostMyBrainHurts2, on May 19 2006, 06:58 PM, said:

Evel Knievel update.

Idiopathic pulmonary fibrosis, recovering from a stroke...hoping he can hold on for another six and a half months.

Sounds promising, but I'm not too familiar with the condition... seeing as how my new Rotten DP is coming up, what's the likelihood of him lasting another year would you say?
Twunt Master Series (August 2007 - January 2008) (January 2008 - June 2008) (July 2008 - April 2009) (April 2009 - January 2010)

Uber Twunt Series (January 2010 - ?)

I still owe NAP

#17 football_fan

I have no life

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,617 posts

Posted 20 May 2006 - 05:16 AM

Thanks for the information MBH2!

The combination of lung dissease, pulmonary fibrosis, diabetes and a stroke will definitely hasten his demise. Hopefully he will be able to hang on until Jan 1st, 2007.

Regards,

ff
"A jury consists of twelve people who determine which client has the better lawyer".
- Robert Frost

#18 MyBrainHurts2

Shipman

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 334 posts

Posted 20 May 2006 - 06:19 PM

View PostCanadian Paul, on May 20 2006, 03:10 AM, said:

View PostMyBrainHurts2, on May 19 2006, 06:58 PM, said:

Evel Knievel update.

Sounds promising, but I'm not too familiar with the condition... seeing as how my new Rotten DP is coming up, what's the likelihood of him lasting another year would you say?

anytime FF.

Knievel has, I think, the same pulmonary condition that Jerry Lewis has, but from the sounds of things, the Evel one isn't doing nearly as well as Lewis. About a year ago, Knievel had been given 3-5 years by his doctor, but the article I linked sounds like he has much less time than the 2-4 years remaining. Given that Evel has trouble so much as getting out of bed some days, is tethered to an oxygen tank and over the past few years, it's been increasingly difficult for him to travel to his own annual celebration (indicating marked decline), I'd say Knievel has a good shot at making us all proud in 2007. I wouldn't bet my life on it though.
I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy.

#19 maryportfuncity

Dedicated Cumbrian Corpse Hound, or summat

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,310 posts

Posted 26 May 2006 - 08:13 PM

You might bet his life on it though!

The strange thing is that Eddie Kidd and Evel Knieval who seemed hell bent on killing themselves for years have both lingered whilst cancer did for poor old Barry Sheene in double quick time.

I did hear a rumour that Sheene's pain was so bad at the end that he swallowed a magnet and kicked himself to death!
Posted Image

Maryport is a disappointment for which there is no cure, but the annual Deathrace thread hereabouts provides welcome distraction.

#20 Canadian Paul

uber twunt

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,132 posts

Posted 27 July 2006 - 06:11 PM

On the Adam Corolla Show, Knievel confirmed that he had IPF and required oxygen 24/7 (and you all know what I mean when I say that, so no need for BB or anyone else to say "But my dear Cartheginian Paul, don't we all?")

Anyhow, he's jumped up my list all of the sudden, as IPF isn't exactly the best thing to have.

Sorry if this post sounds iainish by the way, I just couldn't find an online link.
Twunt Master Series (August 2007 - January 2008) (January 2008 - June 2008) (July 2008 - April 2009) (April 2009 - January 2010)

Uber Twunt Series (January 2010 - ?)

I still owe NAP

Reply to this topic

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users