maryportfuncity

Peace Activists In Iraq - Brave Or Barmy?

S'cuse the enigmatic title of the thread but naming N***** Kember would doubtless bring the wrath of unregistered ranters down upon our collective heads - somewhat in the manner of Jane Tomlinson's unofficial fan club. What do the collective brains trust of the DL make of these peace activists going out there? Is this genuine bravery or do some of these people have their own 'issues' that block their common sense where life decisions are concerned?

We may be facing another video nasty on the ww web in a day or two. Question is, will the apparantly unwitting star be - in any way - responsible?

S'cuse the enigmatic title of the thread but naming N***** Kember would doubtless bring the wrath of unregistered ranters down upon our collective heads - somewhat in the manner of Jane Tomlinson's unofficial fan club. What do the collective brains trust of the DL make of these peace activists going out there? Is this genuine bravery or do some of these people have their own 'issues' that block their common sense where life decisions are concerned?

We may be facing another video nasty on the ww web in a day or two. Question is, will the apparantly unwitting star be - in any way - responsible?

Natural selection.

Like football fans travelling to Turkey... it's like duuuhhh!! ;)

Well he knew the risks before going, so he is at least 50% responsible for his plight.

Of course the conspiracy theorists maintain that the peace activists were kidnapped by a US Government sponsored "Black Ops" team.

Their reasoning being that the US Gov. wants all aid/peace workers out of Iraq prior to a new "Shock and Awe" offensive.

An unlikely scenario, but who knows. I wouldn't put anything past this Administration.

I would go with brave, well intentioned, and barmy.

As a matter of interest does anyone out there in DL Land think N***** Kember and his companions have a hope in hell of seeing Friday morning this week?

As a matter of interest does anyone out there in DL Land think N***** Kember and his companions have a hope in hell of seeing Friday morning this week?

Nope. He's a dead man walking.

They still let him walk eh?

Aye well, it could be worse. There's others shackled and sitting in their own sh*t.

I would go with brave, well intentioned, and barmy.

I would also add naive.

Guest Ross

these left wing hand wringining liberals run to iraq to show their support for the insurgents, and they end up getting kidnapped by those they support, it just shows the stupidity of the left, like all those peace train activitists who went to hold hands with saddam hussein when the war started, they left the next day after they find out what saddams iraq was really like

these left wing hand wringining liberals run to iraq to show their support for the insurgents, and they end up getting kidnapped by those they support, it just shows the stupidity of the left, like all those peace train activitists who went to hold hands with saddam hussein when the war started, they left the next day after they find out what saddams iraq was really like

The peace activists are there to support the ordinary Iraqi people, not the insurgents.

The stupidity of the left you say, so unlike the stellar intelligence of the Neo Cons.

Surely the handful who go the full monty and head out there aren't truly representative of the left and right. They represent their own interests and if they're of a political persuasion they're pretty extreme to put their lives in danger.

I think FF's comment, naive, sums it up. The belief that their actions could alter the course of events surely has to be a hopeless act of complete optimism.

The peace activists are there to support the ordinary Iraqi people, not the insurgents.

The stupidity of the left you say, so unlike the stellar intelligence of the Neo Cons.

Plus who says they are of the left. As far as I am aware they are peace activists, what exactly is "left" about that?

Also I think you are wrong that any peace train activists were holding hands with Saddam .Rumsfeld did but that is a different story. Even Saddam's body guards were unwilling to hold his hand in the end.

Equally the "hand wringing liberals" are no longer getting an idea what Saddam's Iraq is like since he is no longer in charge and the area is supposed to be "safe" or "viable" or "neutralised" or whatever form of words Bush is currently using.

I think FF's comment, naive, sums it up. The belief that their actions could alter the course of events surely has to be a hopeless act of complete optimism.

Kember doesn't have to change the face of history to have acheived something. Who's to say his intention was to change the course of history? From what I understand, despite being a devout Christian the mission he was travelling had intended only to deliver humanitarian aid.

Far from being naive I'm sure he got himself into this situation with a full appreciation of the risks involved.

That you happen to disagree with him from the comfort of your chair doesn't necessarily make him misguided.

Still, Did They Die will create a record for him immediately, and update it the second his bloody head hits the ground.

Isn't life dandy and grandy?

QUOTE (maryportfuncity @ Dec 5 2005, 09:22 AM)

Nope. He's a dead man walking.

But it is Friday and he's still breathing. Getting interesting this one given the people intervening. I reckon there's enough of a criminal psycho element amongst the captors to measure Kember's remaining lifespan in days at most. What does the rest of the faculty think?

They're not going to release him - it's a matter of "when" they kill him rather than "if". Anyone who goes to somewhere like Iraq is asking for trouble.

BTW Ting Tong on Little Britain reminds me of Ken Bigley's wife.

How's this for the perfect conclusion:

Brook Astor - philanthropically - makes an offer to replace him. The Iraqi's accept and lop off her 103 year old head on New Year's Eve.

Looks like they'll be selling special Kember Christmas crackers in his home town this year - they include everything except the hat.

Looks like they'll be selling special Kember Christmas crackers in his home town this year - they include everything except the hat.

Bravo! clapper9yr.gif

You can get a Kember pint in my local

All body, no head!

They've had the time, no word yet. We could BE-HEADING (ho ho ho) into extra time.