Photo
* * * - - 2 votes

People I Was Surprised To Find Are Still AliveHow! not dead? not dead?

• Please log in to reply
433 replies to this topic

#161 Death in Vegas

Death in Vegas

Hatchet man

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 22 posts

Posted 07 February 2007 - 11:54 PM

Maurice Vincent Wilkes, somewhat obscurish British computer scientist and second winner of the Turing Award aka. the "Nobel" for computing sciences. Obit assured and he turns 94 this year, but no news on his health. Thought I'd bring him up though, since I stumbled on him accidently.

I was surprised to find recently that T S Eliot's widow Valerie was still alive and seemingly in fine fettle, presenting the annual T S Eliot award for poetry last month. Even though she's only 81 I can't help but think that anyone connected with Eliot is from a bygone pre-WW2 era.
My only regret, is that I have...boneitis.

#162 Handrejka

Handrejka

Manx Minx

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,840 posts

Posted 21 February 2007 - 12:13 AM

Someone I'm pleased and a little surprised to discover is still alive is S A Wakefield, the Australian author of "Bottersnikes and Gumbles" which was my favourite book as a child. I don't know much about him other that he was born in 1927, so not much use to you, but I had to tell someone.

2013 Alternative 50 final total 13/50 against DL 13/50 - See about me page for more details.
2014 final total 12/50 against DL 10
2015 final total 6/50 against DL 14

2016 4/50)

1 Zza Zza Gabor, 2. Rev Billy Graham 3.Olivia de Havilland 4 Prince Phillip 5,  Kirk Douglas 6 Bumipol Auduljadej 7 Helmut Kohl 8 Peter Sallis 9 Jean Alexander 10 Walter Scheel

11 Mikhail Gorbachev 12 George Blake 13 Brian Cant 14 Patricia Hitchcock 15 Howard Marks 16 Ilse Aichinger 17 Peter Vaughan 18 Clive James 19 Fidel Castro 20 Robert Mugabe

21 Jimmy Carter 22 Caroline Aherne 23 Muhammed Ali 24 Ian Brady 25 Tony Booth 26 Martin Crowe 27 Jerry Lewis 28 Burt Reynolds 29 Valerie Harper 30 Pele 31 Geoffrey Bayldon

32 John Glenn 33Alan Young 34 Peter Sarsted 35 John Noakes 36 Bernard Fox 37 Jacques Rivette 38 Nexhmije Hoxha 39 Stepehn Hawking 40 Hywel Bennet 41Than Shwe

42 Sinead O'Connor 43 Val Kilmer 44 Mary Tyler Moore 45 Jimmy Greaves 46 Norman Lloyd 47 Lupita Tovar 48 Pat Priest 49 Sean Connery 50 Mark Eden

"Wehat shall we do with the wisswass tdonkleys?" "Throw them in the turwetts til they've diwed."

#163 The Magic Wanderer

The Magic Wanderer

Morbid interest

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 21 February 2007 - 04:41 PM

Michael Foot! :dead:

#164 Dave to the Grave

Dave to the Grave

Shipman

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 386 posts

Posted 21 February 2007 - 07:29 PM

Brad Pitt! :D

#165 Slave to the Grave

Slave to the Grave

Post-Twunt

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,124 posts

Posted 21 February 2007 - 08:23 PM

Brad Pitt! :D

What a shame that Tony Hancock is dead.
In my experience, yes, some guests have the same longing for towels and bedlinen as zombies have for human flesh.

"Turrwets, a very good place to keep a tdonkley" - Lady G.

Who is not made better and wiser by occasional intercourse with the tomb?
-George Blair

#166 Cowboy Ronnie

Cowboy Ronnie

I Need To Get A Life!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,994 posts

Posted 21 February 2007 - 10:06 PM

Britney Spears

#167 BrunoBrimley

BrunoBrimley

I REALLY Need To Get A Life!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,356 posts

Posted 22 February 2007 - 01:56 AM

Britney Spears

Not for long at the rate she zips in and out of rehab, one of those doors is like as not to slam hard on her heels and send her for a fatal spill.

#168 Dave to the Grave

Dave to the Grave

Shipman

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 386 posts

Posted 22 February 2007 - 08:17 AM

Britney Spears

Doctor Legg. (Leonard Fenton)

#169 Dave to the Grave

Dave to the Grave

Shipman

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 386 posts

Posted 22 February 2007 - 08:20 AM

Britney Spears

Not for long at the rate she zips in and out of rehab, one of those doors is like as not to slam hard on her heels and send her for a fatal spill.

:lol:

#170 Handrejka

Handrejka

Manx Minx

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,840 posts

Posted 24 February 2007 - 10:54 PM

I thought Carla Lane was dead. Must have been wishful thinking.

2013 Alternative 50 final total 13/50 against DL 13/50 - See about me page for more details.
2014 final total 12/50 against DL 10
2015 final total 6/50 against DL 14

2016 4/50)

1 Zza Zza Gabor, 2. Rev Billy Graham 3.Olivia de Havilland 4 Prince Phillip 5,  Kirk Douglas 6 Bumipol Auduljadej 7 Helmut Kohl 8 Peter Sallis 9 Jean Alexander 10 Walter Scheel

11 Mikhail Gorbachev 12 George Blake 13 Brian Cant 14 Patricia Hitchcock 15 Howard Marks 16 Ilse Aichinger 17 Peter Vaughan 18 Clive James 19 Fidel Castro 20 Robert Mugabe

21 Jimmy Carter 22 Caroline Aherne 23 Muhammed Ali 24 Ian Brady 25 Tony Booth 26 Martin Crowe 27 Jerry Lewis 28 Burt Reynolds 29 Valerie Harper 30 Pele 31 Geoffrey Bayldon

32 John Glenn 33Alan Young 34 Peter Sarsted 35 John Noakes 36 Bernard Fox 37 Jacques Rivette 38 Nexhmije Hoxha 39 Stepehn Hawking 40 Hywel Bennet 41Than Shwe

42 Sinead O'Connor 43 Val Kilmer 44 Mary Tyler Moore 45 Jimmy Greaves 46 Norman Lloyd 47 Lupita Tovar 48 Pat Priest 49 Sean Connery 50 Mark Eden

"Wehat shall we do with the wisswass tdonkleys?" "Throw them in the turwetts til they've diwed."

#171 Banshees Scream

Banshees Scream

Dwarf tosser

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,523 posts

Posted 24 February 2007 - 11:07 PM

You know what I think? Han has a new exciting wishful signiture! It would be so like you.

I thought Carla Lane was dead. Must have been wishful thinking.

#172 Monoclinic

Monoclinic

Missing in Action

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,706 posts

Posted 28 February 2007 - 01:15 PM

Couldn't find a more suitable thread...

http://news.bbc.co.u...ire/6403389.stm

This miracle baby came back to life after 30 minutes. Amazing!

#173 Guest_Guest_*

Guest_Guest_*
  • Guests

Posted 28 February 2007 - 02:20 PM

Sunday's episode of the BBC show "Top Gear" had Clarkson, Hammond and May stating that Phil Drabble was dead (in connection with rounding up some sheep). I can find no evidence that he is - bit of a gaffe from the BBC researchers there?

#174 maryportfuncity

maryportfuncity

Dedicated Cumbrian Corpse Hound, or summat

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,731 posts

Posted 28 February 2007 - 02:49 PM

Phil Drabble looks to be breathing as he approaches 93, gaffe from Top Gear, potential good spot for us deadpickers.

Maryport is a disappointment for which there is no cure, but the annual Deathrace thread hereabouts provides welcome distraction.maryport2if5.jpg

#175 Slave to the Grave

Slave to the Grave

Post-Twunt

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,124 posts

Posted 28 February 2007 - 08:56 PM

Phil Drabble looks to be breathing as he approaches 93, gaffe from Top Gear, potential good spot for us deadpickers.

I had him on my DDP team for 2 years running and despite the Wiki entry a lot doubt was cast about him still being in the land of the living. I meant to keep him on again this year, probably out of bloody-mindedness but forgot in my rush to get my team in on New Years Eve.
In my experience, yes, some guests have the same longing for towels and bedlinen as zombies have for human flesh.

"Turrwets, a very good place to keep a tdonkley" - Lady G.

Who is not made better and wiser by occasional intercourse with the tomb?
-George Blair

#176 Anubis the Jackal

Anubis the Jackal

Twunt Master

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,114 posts

Posted 01 March 2007 - 11:40 AM

No mention in Wiki of the fact that he is the ex-husband of Margaret. Probably.
Pardon me but I got to run<br />The fact's uncommonly clear<br />I got to find who's now the number one<br />And why my angel eyes ain't here<br /><br />Excuse me while I disappear

#177 Kain

Kain

Hatchet man

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 56 posts

Posted 20 March 2007 - 08:40 PM

George Cole / Arthur Daley.

I would have definitely gone for Dead in the Dead or Alive game, but he's been on an advert for a drama on BBC with some woman that used to be in Eastenders

#178 Pterygotus

Pterygotus

Pointless Ranter

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 3 posts

Posted 23 March 2007 - 06:07 AM

I just found out that Chuck Yeager was alive from reading another thread here, but I'd probably known already and forgotten. I do tend to get him confused with Charles Lindbergh... Lindbergh was the one who hated Jews, I think. :(

#179 maryportfuncity

maryportfuncity

Dedicated Cumbrian Corpse Hound, or summat

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,731 posts

Posted 23 March 2007 - 07:30 PM

the one who hated Jews

ONE!

It'll be a better world when we cut it down to one.

Maryport is a disappointment for which there is no cure, but the annual Deathrace thread hereabouts provides welcome distraction.maryport2if5.jpg

#180 Banshees Scream

Banshees Scream

Dwarf tosser

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,523 posts

Posted 23 March 2007 - 09:57 PM

Lindbergh was the one who hated Jews, I think. ;)

I've thought for hours once before, about how Adolf Hitler could with stand such stiff hate, and be so cold hearted. And never feel one drop of guilt in his empty conscience. His pathetic inner self, and hopelessness made him who he was. It was revenge. It was payback time. Not any conscious walking human being could suffer more then him. He believed this and within this man he held no mercy. For what ever his downfall could have been, he wanted the reflection shined on every living creature. The wish for all to suffer deeply in your heart is the face of true evil. And when Berlin was captured, the mad man Hitler came out more and more, demanding suicides of his own soldiers, and harsh direction to top SS commanders. Hitler failed, but for the second time. The first failure which led to his fallen glory may never be revealed, in the second he took a revolver to his head. I believe Adolf Hitler died long before 1945. What long lived in him was not of his own.

I don't know if this is the place for it, but it's my two cents.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users