397 replies to this topic

#381 Lord Fellatio Nelson

Post twunt

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,156 posts

Posted 27 January 2008 - 08:55 PM

View Postanonymous, on Jan 27 2008, 05:03 PM, said:

Kudos to both Suharto, for finally carking it, and Deathlist, for seeing its second hit of the year! If the first month is any implication, Deathlist is off to a good year.
Kudos to Deathlist?!
You mean, well done to DL for picking an 87 year old Bastard whos actually been dead for the last year or so anyway?
Kudos? No
Bone Idle? Yes
2014 Hartlepool Deadly Pool Team: The Wankers Arms PH
Candidates:
Olivia De Havilland
Carol Channing
Eli Wallach
Kirk Douglas
Jimmy Hill
Luise Ranier
Abe Vigoda
Paul Gascoigne
Clifton James
Sid Caesar

Subs: Maureen O'Hara and Christopher Lee

#382 Canadian Paul

uber twunt

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,132 posts

Posted 27 January 2008 - 09:26 PM

View PostLord Fellatio Nelson, on Jan 27 2008, 03:55 PM, said:

Kudos to both Suharto, for finally carking it, and Deathlist, for seeing its second hit of the year! If the first month is any implication, Deathlist is off to a good year.
Kudos to Deathlist?!
You mean, well done to DL for picking an 87 year old Bastard whos actually been dead for the last year or so anyway?
Kudos? No
Bone Idle? Yes

If DL picks people who are old, sick and die, people complain that easy targets are being picked. If DL picks people who are youthful, healthy and don't die, people complain that the DL sucks because it's not getting hits. If people are going to whine no matter what happens, might as well be successful in one's chosen endeavour. Or, as Rick Nelson put it, "You can't please everyone, so you've got to please yourself"
Twunt Master Series (August 2007 - January 2008) (January 2008 - June 2008) (July 2008 - April 2009) (April 2009 - January 2010)

Uber Twunt Series (January 2010 - ?)

I still owe NAP

#383 HSR3

Hatchet man

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 66 posts

Posted 27 January 2008 - 11:47 PM

I agree, 2007 was a bit of a failure (but we had a good summer). But yeah, at this rate, we'll have 20 deaths if two a month is the standard... things aren't that predictable though.
Been using this site for ages casually, but I am a lurker

#384 Phantom

uber twunt

• Members
  • 4,421 posts

Posted 27 January 2008 - 11:49 PM

View PostCanadian Paul, on Jan 27 2008, 09:26 PM, said:

Kudos to Deathlist?!
Kudos? No
Bone Idle? Yes

If DL picks people who are old, sick and die, people complain that easy targets are being picked. If DL picks people who are youthful, healthy and don't die, people complain that the DL sucks because it's not getting hits. If people are going to whine no matter what happens, might as well be successful in one's chosen endeavour. Or, as Rick Nelson put it, "You can't please everyone, so you've got to please yourself"

I see no problem in having Suharto on the list, ok so he was old, frail and had numerous medical conditions. But he's gone before some who are 20 years older than him.

Also look at Ariel Sharon, he's still with us.

LFN who should be on the list in your opinion?

#385 Death Impends

Post-Twunt

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,106 posts

Posted 28 January 2008 - 12:13 AM

View PostCanadian Paul, on Jan 27 2008, 04:26 PM, said:

Kudos to Deathlist?!
Kudos? No
Bone Idle? Yes

I'm content with hits as long as they have a decent amount of fame, regardless of age. Suharto easily passes that test.
DDP Team - Thomas Jefferson Survives (2014 - 7/20 - Evans, Crowe, Ockels, Jaruzelski, Kasem, Farmiloe, Madoff) (2013 - 11/20, 4th place)

Personal 50: Billy Graham, Wojciech Jaruzelski, Sam Simon, Valerie Harper, Clive James, Wilko Johnson, Casey Kasem, Luise Rainer, Gough Whitlam, Zsa Zsa Gabor, Kirk Douglas, Olivia de Havilland, Eli Wallach, Superstar Billy Graham, Fidel Castro, Pope Benedict XVI, Prince Philip, George H.W. Bush, Albert Reynolds, Werner Franz, June Foray, Janet Waldo, George S. Irving, Henry Heimlich, Ingvar Kamprad, Bob Dole, Al Molinaro, Richard Attenborough, Nancy Reagan, King Abdullah, Helmut Kohl, Gunter Grass, Robert Mugabe, Fred Phelps, Jack Chick, John Glenn, Christopher Lee, Maureen O'Hara, Monty Hall, Bob Barker, James D. Watson, Mikhail Gorbachev, Muhammad Ali, Gershon Kingsley, Aaron Shikler, Lauren Bacall, Sid Caesar, Mickey Rooney, Stephen Hawking, Abe Vigoda (14/50 last year)

#386 InquilineKea

Hatchet man

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 64 posts

Posted 28 January 2008 - 12:35 AM

Suharto's body on display in Jakarta
printable versionbigger textsmaller text

The President of Indonesia has paid his respects at the coffin of the former leader Suharto, who has died at the age of 86. Officials say the former president died of multiple organ failure after being hospitalised in Jakarta three weeks ago.

Suharto's legacy of boosting economic development was marred by accusations of corruption and human rights abuses during his 32 years in office. The head of a group of NGOs that fight for victims rights says past abuses have to be addressed. Usman Hamid said: "There are many people, thousands of people, who lost their parents, who lost their fathers, their mothers, their sons, and I think they need justice."

Suharto's body is to be taken to Java's royal city of Solo on Monday for a funeral at the family's mausoleum.

http://www.euronews.net/images_news/W300px...oir-suharto.jpg
http://www.euronews.net/index.php?page=inf...66887&lng=1

#387 Lord Fellatio Nelson

Post twunt

• Members
  • 2,156 posts

Posted 28 January 2008 - 12:45 AM

CP, I dont doubt what you say, yes you cannot please all of the people all of the time.
The point I was alluding to, tongue somewhat in cheek, was that, despite many good solid suggestions for the 2008 DL, the usual tired old fossils have been wheeled out.
Phantom, as you know, a few names were bandied about last year, people quite a bit younger and somewhat closer to their maker than they ought to be. A suicidal Britney, Amy "Crackhouse" Winehouse, Lindsey unstable Lohan were just three names that COULD have been thrown into the melting pot. It wouldnt have hurt, it would have covered all bases and made the whole point of DL, perhaps more relevent, a sort of social commentary, if you like.
So far, we aint even out of January and two picks already, two very old, tired men.
The thing is, its all a bit safe, DL, and, God im no expert on the subject, seems to be a little bit stuck in the 80s. With a cosmopolitan patronage should come a more cosmopolitan DL, a tad more youthful, a tad more relevent to the younger DL'er.
Think of it as a kind of loss leader, like the supermarkets have, some names to get new blood through the door of Deathlist 2008.
Just my opinion.
2014 Hartlepool Deadly Pool Team: The Wankers Arms PH
Candidates:
Olivia De Havilland
Carol Channing
Eli Wallach
Kirk Douglas
Jimmy Hill
Luise Ranier
Abe Vigoda
Paul Gascoigne
Clifton James
Sid Caesar

Subs: Maureen O'Hara and Christopher Lee

#388 InquilineKea

Hatchet man

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 64 posts

Posted 28 January 2008 - 02:09 AM

Here's another legacy of Suharto that many people forget:
http://news.bbc.co.u...tech/843300.stm

'Crony capitalism'

One of the authors, Dr Charles Barber, said: "Current Indonesian forest policies have provided powerful legal incentives for 'cut-and-run' resource extraction.

"They have failed to create effective mechanisms for enforcing even minimum standards of forest resource stewardship."

The report says former premier Suharto's malpractices were perpetuated "by a corrupt culture of 'crony capitalism' that elevated personal profit over public interest, the environment, or the rule of law." During the 32 years of President Suharto's rule, WRI says, Indonesia lost at least 40 million hectares of forest, an area the size of Germany and the Netherlands together.

"Much of these forests were granted as timber concessions to Suharto's cronies, his family, and to ill-fated government projects like the failed effort to convert 1m ha of peat swamp forests in central Kalimantan into rice fields. "In the 1990s, oil palm and timber plantations replaced additional millions of hectares of forests. Illegal logging has become prevalent, accounting for an estimated half of the annual production of timber."

suharto rainforest - Google Search
http://news.bbc.co.u...tech/843300.stm
BBC News | SCI/TECH | Indonesia's fires 'Suharto's legacy'
http://rainforests.m...20indonesia.htm
Indonesia: Environmental Profile
http://www.orangutan...tans_avoid.html
The Orangutan Conservancy: Orangutans & the Rainforest: Items to Avoid
http://singabloodypore.rsfblog.org/archive...ut-suharto.html
Just so that we are all clear about Suharto : Singabloodypore
http://findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_qn41...22/ai_n12705805
Activists take fight to save Indonesian rainforests to Tilbury | Independent, The (London) | Find Articles at BNET.com

#389 Guest_Guest_*

• Guests

Posted 28 January 2008 - 06:40 AM

JUST THOUGHT i'D REASSURE THOSE WORRIED that even now Suharto might make a miraculous recovery that he is now dead and buried .

#390 Guest_Guest_dave_*_*

• Guests

Posted 28 January 2008 - 08:58 AM

View Postmaryportfuncity, on May 17 2006, 08:35 AM, said:

Catros, we've been here before; several times with Iain. To be fair, these politicos often have a durability in the final stages that amazes. Ted Heath for one hung on longer than many expected. We could amuse ourselves with an unofficial Deathrace; Foot vs Haughy vs Suharto vs Ford. I reckon Ford will finish off the podium.

Haughy
Suharto
Foot
Ford

Just a guess on a slow day at work, mind.
Just Michael Foot to go then...

#391 Cowboy Ronnie

I Need To Get A Life!

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,994 posts

Posted 28 January 2008 - 09:19 AM

View PostLord Fellatio Nelson, on Jan 28 2008, 12:45 AM, said:

CP, I dont doubt what you say, yes you cannot please all of the people all of the time.
The point I was alluding to, tongue somewhat in cheek, was that, despite many good solid suggestions for the 2008 DL, the usual tired old fossils have been wheeled out.
Phantom, as you know, a few names were bandied about last year, people quite a bit younger and somewhat closer to their maker than they ought to be. A suicidal Britney, Amy "Crackhouse" Winehouse, Lindsey unstable Lohan were just three names that COULD have been thrown into the melting pot. It wouldnt have hurt, it would have covered all bases and made the whole point of DL, perhaps more relevent, a sort of social commentary, if you like.
So far, we aint even out of January and two picks already, two very old, tired men.
The thing is, its all a bit safe, DL, and, God im no expert on the subject, seems to be a little bit stuck in the 80s. With a cosmopolitan patronage should come a more cosmopolitan DL, a tad more youthful, a tad more relevent to the younger DL'er.
Think of it as a kind of loss leader, like the supermarkets have, some names to get new blood through the door of Deathlist 2008.
Just my opinion.

LFN, the names you mentioned and many other youngsters were discussed at the committee meeting. In the end, though, the focus remained on those most likely to die. So, despite predictions of Britney entering her last six months, and just three for Amy (from no less an authority than her husband, according to today's Metro), we went with the old and infirm.

The best way to make your point on fresh and fun selections is to include them in a DDP team, then gloat when they come in. As for DL 2008, we're off to a decent start.

#392 chicago103

Sniper

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 127 posts

Posted 29 January 2008 - 01:33 PM

View PostGuest, on Jan 28 2008, 12:40 AM, said:

JUST THOUGHT i'D REASSURE THOSE WORRIED that even now Suharto might make a miraculous recovery that he is now dead and buried .

Muslims sure bury their dead very quickly, Bhutto was also buried like a day or two after her death. It can take a week before a former US president is in the ground.
U.S. Presidential death trivia expert. If you want to know how a president died, what their last words were if any and details about their final days and funerals I am your man.

#393 Guest_muslim man_*

• Guests

Posted 29 January 2008 - 08:20 PM

View Postchicago103, on Jan 29 2008, 01:33 PM, said:

Muslims sure bury their dead very quickly, Bhutto was also buried like a day or two after her death. It can take a week before a former US president is in the ground.

What an amazingly ignorant comment. Well, yes, of course, they do - it's down to their beliefs & religion. Dodi was buried the same way without fuss. Probably the best way so there's no circus act like Diana's. :rolleyes:

#394 Rotten Ali

Value for money

• Members
  • 2,274 posts

Posted 29 January 2008 - 10:08 PM

View PostRotten Ali, on Jan 24 2008, 07:21 AM, said:

Well if he really has sepsis then I would give him only another two weeks.

well, as I said no hope for the old man!
Yes yes yes yes yes... yes yes yes yes, no!

(Trevor Peacock as Jim Trott in the Vicar of Dibley)

DL Shadow List: King Abdullah, Muhammad Ali, Sir Richard Attenborough, Tariq Aziz, Pope Benedict XVI, Tony Benn, Ian Brady, George HW Bush, Sid Caeser, Fidel Castro, George Cole, Katherine Crowe, Liz Dawn, Bob Dole, Kirk Douglas, Jean Claude Duvalier, Queen Fabiola of Belgium, Louis Farrakhan, Aretha Franklin, Zsa Zsa Gabor, James Garner, Ruth Bader Ginsburg, Mikhail Gorbachev, Billy Graham, King Harald V of Norway, Valerie Harper, Joao Havelange, Stephen Hawking, Jimmy Hill, Clive James, Yahya Jammeh, General Jaruzelski, Wilko Johnson, Casey Kasem, Stan Lee, Jerry Lee Lewis, Penny Marshall, T O N Mbasogo, Mary Tyler Moore, Hosni Mubarak, Ian Paisley, Nancy Reagan, Albert Reynolds, Ariel Sharon, Sam Simon, Jeremy Thorpe, Gough Whitlam, Lee Kuan Yew, Michael York & Jiang Zemin. 12/50

#395 chicago103

Sniper

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 127 posts

Posted 30 January 2008 - 07:14 PM

View Postmuslim man, on Jan 29 2008, 02:20 PM, said:

View Postchicago103, on Jan 29 2008, 01:33 PM, said:

What an amazingly ignorant comment. Well, yes, of course, they do - it's down to their beliefs & religion. Dodi was buried the same way without fuss. Probably the best way so there's no circus act like Diana's. :sicktherm:

I was aware of the religious reasons, I was just making an observation at how quickly they bury their dead as opposed to how long it takes to bury major political figures in the west, it seems that we have alot more ceremony or at least dragged out for so much longer.

The last three US Presidnents from death to burial was five days for Nixon, six days for Reagan and eight days for Ford.
U.S. Presidential death trivia expert. If you want to know how a president died, what their last words were if any and details about their final days and funerals I am your man.

#396 Guest_Eda Dwiputri_*

• Guests

Posted 09 January 2013 - 03:38 AM

my grandfather :wheelchair: :wheelchair: :wheelchair:

HUEEEEENG :banghead: :rant: :shoot: :shoot2: :xbones: :ghost4: :ghost2: :devil:

#397 Magere Hein

Film land, Homer!

• Admin
  • 4,730 posts

Posted 09 January 2013 - 11:36 AM

View PostEda Dwiputri, on 09 January 2013 - 03:38 AM, said:

my grandfather :wheelchair: :wheelchair: :wheelchair:

Selamat datang di DeathList.

View PostEda Dwiputri, on 09 January 2013 - 03:38 AM, said:

HUEEEEENG :banghead: :rant: :shoot: :shoot2: :xbones: :ghost4: :ghost2: :devil:

Sorry, my Bahasa Indonesia isn't good enough to understand that. Could you say it in English?

regards,
Hein
DDP 2014 team The Grey Horde:
King Abdullah of Saudi Arabia, Ayman al-Zawahiri, Lys Assia, Sister Wendy Beckett, Ryan Buell Posted Image,Jacques Chirac, Felix Dennis, Aretha Franklin, Ruth Bader Ginsburg, Marilyn Horne, Clive James, General Wojciech Jaruzelski, Wilko Johnson, Helmut Kohl, Joseph Kony, Misao Okawa, Bernie Madoff, Robert Mugabe, Julie Newmar, Michael Schumacher

DDP 2014 theme team Minions of Xuleneb:
King Albert II, Princess Beatrix, Prince Bernhard jr, Elco Brinkman, Corry Brokken, Dick Bruna, Raymond Ceulemans, Godfried Danneels, Piet de Jong, Mark Eyskens, Queen Fabiola Of Belgium Posted Image, Jan Janssen, Grand Duke Jean I of Luxembourg, Wubbo Ockels, Fernando Ricksen, Kees Rijvers, Wim Ruska, Toots Thielemans, Martinus J. G. Veltman, Geert Wilders

#398 Phantom

uber twunt

• Members
  • 4,421 posts

Posted 09 January 2013 - 04:12 PM

Shouldn't Suharto be marked down as being dead?

Edited by Magere Hein, 09 January 2013 - 04:49 PM.
Done

A good line never dies
It just smells funny

----

Winner of the 2014 Wojciech Jarulzelski sweepstakes

DDP 2014 4/20
Jim Bamber , Ryan Buell, Katherine Crowe Posted Image, Liz Dawn, Ruth Duccini, Janet Fielding, Zsa Zsa Gabor , Billy Graham,"Superstar" Billy Graham, Rolf Harris, Joao Havelange, Bobby Heenan, Wojciech Jarulzelski, Wilko Johnson, Stephen Lewis, Jerry Maren, Les Munro, Sonny Rollins, Sam Simon, Gough Whitlam

DDP 2012 8/20 - Joint 47th

DDP 2013 11/20 - Joint 24th

Reply to this topic

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users