football_fan

Dead Drummers

20 hours ago, Joey Russ said:

My drummers team is currently having no score. It desperately needs a huge comeback to overtake shameless in the theme team league. Sigh...

Paging Mr Collins.....

John Peck, original drummer for Larry LaPole & The Polecats died on July 30th at the age of 79
And yes I know it doesn't mention it in his obituary, but I verified that John was the drummer in his band. 

John's career took him in various directions as laid out in his obit, Larry went on to write several tunes for The Trashmen, most well known of the tunes he wrote is "King of The Surf"

• Like 2

12 hours ago, Phantom said:

John Peck, original drummer for Larry LaPole & The Polecats died on July 30th at the age of 79
And yes I know it doesn't mention it in his obituary, but I verified that John was the drummer in his band. 

John's career took him in various directions as laid out in his obit, Larry went on to write several tunes for The Trashmen, most well known of the tunes he wrote is "King of The Surf"

I'm intrigued.  As his obit mentions nothing of his musical output, how on earth did you know him and/or hear of his demise?  Are you the president of the Larry LaPole & The Polecats fan club?

10 hours ago, Sir Creep said:

I'm intrigued.  As his obit mentions nothing of his musical output, how on earth did you know him and/or hear of his demise?  Are you the president of the Larry LaPole & The Polecats fan club?

I've met Larry several times, he posted news of John's passing on his facebook page. My connection with Larry is via the Trashmen. I personally know their booking agent / tour manager. 

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Phantom said:

I've met Larry several times, he posted news of John's passing on his facebook page. My connection with Larry is via the Trashmen. I personally know their booking agent / tour manager. 

Very interesting.  Well in that case condolences for the passing of your acquaintance.

SC

2 hours ago, Sir Creep said:

Very interesting.  Well in that case condolences for the passing of your acquaintance.

SC

Hey, if there's a North American musician announced on here and Phantom hasn't heard of them I'm convinced they've been made up. Chap knows everyone on that scene.

Whereas I've only ever met one Deathlist alumnus* in my life, and he was a complete cunt.

*see, Toast? I did listen!

• Like 1

7 hours ago, msc said:

Hey, if there's a North American musician announced on here and Phantom hasn't heard of them I'm convinced they've been made up. Chap knows everyone on that scene.

Whereas I've only ever met one Deathlist alumnus* in my life, and he was a complete cunt.

*see, Toast? I did listen!

Once in a while there will be a musician that I am not familiar with, it depends on the genre. Mostly I tend to gravitate towards country, rockabilly garage punk, punk, and psychobilly.

I am excited about tomorrow, as I get to work with Wayne "The Train" Hancock doing his merch table and I usually roadie for him too.

Anyway, here's Larry LaPole's autograph on the back of a Trashmen album that he signed at the radio station.

20170817_221008.jpg

• Like 5

Larry's autograph takes pride of place alongside this one.

I've obscured my name on the image as he personalized it.

2017-08-19 17.43.37.jpg

• Like 1

Skip Prokop, a Canadian drummer from The Paupers and Lighthouse, has died aged 74. Lighthouse had a few of hits in the US Billboard Hot 100 in the early 1970s including One Fine Morning (#24) - 1971, Sunny Days (#34) - 1972, Pretty Lady (#53) - 1973, Take It Slow (Out In The Country) (#64) - 1971 and I Just Wanna Be Your Friend (#93) - 1972.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Thatcher said:

Skip Prokop, a Canadian drummer from The Paupers and Lighthouse, has died aged 74. Lighthouse had a few of hits in the US Billboard Hot 100 in the early 1970s including One Fine Morning (#24) - 1971, Sunny Days (#34) - 1972, Pretty Lady (#53) - 1973, Take It Slow (Out In The Country) (#64) - 1971 and I Just Wanna Be Your Friend (#93) - 1972.

Boy, I had forgotten about this band and song -- another in that line of 'Blood Sweat and Tears' sound alikes, like my go to karaoke song by Ides of March, 'Vehicle'.  Maybe I need to do this one at karaoke (In typical DP fashion, prior to singing the song I actually DO announce that a member of the band has died if in fact that has happened....gives me a reason to do the song).
SC

• Like 1

If anyone had seen this photo from a tribute concert a few months back, he would have been a lock for any longlist:

• Like 1

Aww. That's a shame. As well as Husker Du, Nova Mob were also great.

• Like 1

I'm really sad, but not that surprised to read about the death of Grant Hart.  In my view his musical and songwriting talents were incredibly underrated and I hope history will be kind to him, as he never achieved the recognition he deserved in life.   There aren't that many drummers who sing lead vocals, and Grant Hart was right up there with the best of them.     

Years ago, when I was a teenager getting into grunge,  lots of these bands cited Husker Du as a huge influence on them, so bought their live album on cassette and was blown away.  Eventually I ended up owning all of Husker Du's albums and, to this day, some of them still get played regularly.   As Vinegar Tits points out above, Hart's next project, Nova Mob, were pretty damned good as well, but he never saw much in the way of chart action.  Nova Mob's concept album The Last Days of Pompeii really deserved far more airplay than it actually got, but Hart seemed destined to forever remain in obscurity.

His solo career never took off and he spent years playing in bars for very little money.  There were rumours going around a few years ago that he had HIV, which given the fact he was a promiscuous gay man with a raging heroin habit in the late 80s and early 90s, may have had some substance to them.  Grant Hart never made much money; he lived in his late parents' home until he accidentally set fire to it a few years ago.  But he kept of writing and performing right up to the end, in the face of complete indifference to anyone but his minuscule fan base.  If ever there was a case of life not being fair, Grant Hart probably fits the bill as a prime example.  :rip:

grant_hart.jpg

Oh, and the name of the album that got me hooked?  The Living End.     

• Like 9

12 minutes ago, DevonDeathTrip said:

I'm really sad, but not that surprised to read about the death of Grant Hart.  In my view his musical and songwriting talents were incredibly underrated and I hope history will be kind to him, as he never achieved the recognition he deserved in life.   There aren't that many drummers who sing lead vocals, and Grant Hart was right up there with the best of them.     

Years ago, when I was a teenager getting into grunge,  lots of these bands cited Husker Du as a huge influence on them, so bought their live album on cassette and was blown away.  Eventually I ended up owning all of Husker Du's albums and, to this day, some of them still get played regularly.   As Vinegar Tits points out above, Hart's next project, Nova Mob, were pretty damned good as well, but he never saw much in the way of chart action.  Nova Mob's concept album The Last Days of Pompeii really deserved far more airplay than it actually got, but Hart seemed destined to forever remain in obscurity.

His solo career never took off and he spent years playing in bars for very little money.  There were rumours going around a few years ago that he had HIV, which given the fact he was a promiscuous gay man with a raging heroin habit in the late 80s and early 90s, may have had some substance to them.  Grant Hart never made much money; he lived in his late parents' home until he accidentally set fire to it a few years ago.  But he kept of writing and performing right up to the end, in the face of complete indifference to anyone but his minuscule fan base.  If ever there was a case of life not being fair, Grant Hart probably fits the bill as a prime example.  :rip:

grant_hart.jpg

So that's where your DDP name came from...

50 minutes ago, Joey Russ said:

So that's where your DDP name came from...

Ah. I thought it was a Jesus and Mary Chain reference...

2 hours ago, Spade_Cooley said:

I thought it was a reference to the mediocre pop punk act of the late 90s.

I thought so too, but I'm gonna be that guy and say I like them.

7 hours ago, DevonDeathTrip said:

grant_hart.jpg

I never got to see him play live, but would occasionally see him around town (perhaps once or twice a year). I was at a venue called The Hook & Ladder, which was where they sadly held a benefit gig for him a couple of months ago. 
He came in to the club to speak to Lori Barbero, as she often works behind the bar there. I was introduced to him, shook his hand, didn't think anything of it until someone said "you know that was Grant Hart don't you?"

• Like 1

Life-affirming to see so many of us rating Husker Du, then- some small comfort in the circumstances.

Played The Warehouse Songs and Stories on the way to and from work yesterday

• Like 1

I hadn't actually heard of them, but aim to rectify this ASAP.

49 minutes ago, msc said:

I hadn't actually heard of them, but aim to rectify this ASAP.

I've heard the name, but assumed they were Scandinavian.  Never knowingly heard their music.

11 minutes ago, Toast said:

I've heard the name, but assumed they were Scandinavian.  Never knowingly heard their music.

They were formed in Minnesota. 

A large number of the population have some Scandinavian heritage.

Hence the reason why the "football" team is called the Vikings.

• Like 1