Jump to content


- - - - -

Old Folkies Home Sundown for Lightfoot and Others


203 replies to this topic

#141 VSBfromH

    I Need To Get A Life!

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,834 posts

Posted 20 April 2011 - 06:48 AM

View PostVSBfromH, on Apr 10 2011, 07:13 AM, said:

View PostDevonDeathTrip, on May 9 2010, 08:31 PM, said:

Folkie David Fisher, singer and founding member of The Highwaymen, has died at the age of 70 :o . Their song "Michael" spent one week at the top of the UK charts in 1961.

Gil Robbins

Another member of The Highwaymen has died aged 80. He was the father of the actor Tim Robbins.

... to be followed 12 days later by his wife, musician Mary Robbins
Oh, Mickey! What's EGREGIOUS?!

#142 DevonDeathTrip

    Tractor Eater

  • Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,070 posts

Posted 11 May 2011 - 09:55 PM

View PostDevonDeathTrip, on Jan 22 2011, 12:10 AM, said:

Norma Waterson, practically folk royalty, has been in very poor health recently - I got this off a Yahoo newsgroup, but I can't link to it:

Quote

11th January: Norma Waterson has been dangerously, severely ill since early November. She had an abcess on her lower leg which turned into septicemia, and has been in ICU for these past two months. She has regained consciousness, but is still on a ventilator, getting blood transfusions, and unable to sit up for any length of time. She is understandably very weak and discouraged....

Edit - Also, although I have no links to back this up, I am reliably informed that Norma's brother and fellow folkie Mike Waterson underwent chemotherapy for cancer last year. I don't know what sort of cancer it was, or if he has recovered or not.

On Radio 2's folk show tonight, Martin Carthy spoke about the health of his wife, Norma Waterson and his brother in law, Mike Waterson. Norma is making a gradual recovery from her bout of septicemia although she is still in hospital. However he revealed Mike Waterson has been diagnosed with terminal pancreatic cancer. :ninja:

http://www.bbc.co.uk...onsole/b010xyjz (Health discussion is at 23 minutes, if you can't face a whole hour of hardcore folk)
Sometimes when we see the eyes- those horrible times when we see the eyes,eyes that ... that have no soul - then we know a darkness.

#143 msc

    Shipman

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 421 posts

Posted 11 May 2011 - 10:03 PM

Anne Feeney has a tumour at the back of her head but no TB.

Her pal Jon Fromer, a fellow folk singer/songwriter, has been diagnosed with stomach cancer though.
2014 Pan Breed DDP – S Simon (joker), S Farmiloe, W Johnson, C Kasem, V Harper, G Cole, G Garcia Marquez, P Rice, J Hill, L Dawn, A Briggs, J vd Westhuizen, C Woodhead, C Moncrieff, T Benn, R Buell, I Watkins, H Fawkes, A Reynolds, J McGinniss

Other pools – J McVie, P Worsthorne, V Campbell, S Caesar, L Rainer, R Mugabe, P Wyngarde, K Douglas, G Whitlam, S Hall, A Franklin, R Attenborough, GHW Bush, H Kissinger, E Wallach, B Reynolds, J Garner, N Reagan, H Kessler, G Saks, L Ferlinghetti, O Chadwick, R Asherson, K Ollerenshaw, F Phelps, W Jaruzelski, G Amorth, H McCullough, F Dyson, C Pincher, O Pooley, C Townes, D Slocombe, A Hiller, F Bough, RR Shaw, A Imich, C Hollingworth, S Gall, Ghiggia, C Irving, FGD Jean, H Gregg, F Domino, B Kerr, P MacNee, C Yeager, R Suart, P Maxwell Davies, J Havelange, J de Cuellar, P Dimmock, G Ure, C Mitchelmore, J Nott, H Wouk, J Freeman, M Wilson, T Docherty, P Fox, G Howe, L Cosgrave, N Lawson, B Clemens, K Evren, RK Murray, M Soares, P Vaughan, R Baker, P Lally, L Smith, A Suarez, P Robbins, I Kanarek, IM Pei, ER Killen, J Ramsey, P de Jong, A Rhett, V Gagne. = combined 13/100

2013: 28/100
2012: 25/100
Shadow Deathlist 2011- 10/50

#144 notaguest

    Shipman

  • Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 469 posts

Posted 11 May 2011 - 11:00 PM

View Postmaryportfuncity, on Oct 13 2009, 12:17 PM, said:

Calypso singing all round sensitive sort Cy Grant is still blogging and working a few weeks short of his 90th birthday.

Deffo obit-worthy when age finally catches up with him.
he died 4 months after that post but it was never mentioned
I was thrown off this forum for posting too many interesting and entertaining posts,thus embarrassing less imaginative posters than myself.If you feel this is not fair or democratic and indeed infringes my basic human rights under the United Nations laws please let the moderators and admin know.Thanks.

#145 harrymcnallysblueandwhitearmy

    It's God shit!

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,565 posts

Posted 11 May 2011 - 11:17 PM

View Postnotaguest, on May 12 2011, 12:00 AM, said:

View Postmaryportfuncity, on Oct 13 2009, 12:17 PM, said:

Calypso singing all round sensitive sort Cy Grant is still blogging and working a few weeks short of his 90th birthday.

Deffo obit-worthy when age finally catches up with him.
he died 4 months after that post but it was never mentioned

Yes iain (or whoever you may be), it was.

why, you little...


#146 DevonDeathTrip

    Tractor Eater

  • Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,070 posts

Posted 22 June 2011 - 06:46 PM

View PostDevonDeathTrip, on May 11 2011, 10:55 PM, said:

View PostDevonDeathTrip, on Jan 22 2011, 12:10 AM, said:

Norma Waterson, practically folk royalty, has been in very poor health recently - I got this off a Yahoo newsgroup, but I can't link to it:

Quote

11th January: Norma Waterson has been dangerously, severely ill since early November. She had an abcess on her lower leg which turned into septicemia, and has been in ICU for these past two months. She has regained consciousness, but is still on a ventilator, getting blood transfusions, and unable to sit up for any length of time. She is understandably very weak and discouraged....

Edit - Also, although I have no links to back this up, I am reliably informed that Norma's brother and fellow folkie Mike Waterson underwent chemotherapy for cancer last year. I don't know what sort of cancer it was, or if he has recovered or not.

On Radio 2's folk show tonight, Martin Carthy spoke about the health of his wife, Norma Waterson and his brother in law, Mike Waterson. Norma is making a gradual recovery from her bout of septicemia although she is still in hospital. However he revealed Mike Waterson has been diagnosed with terminal pancreatic cancer. :lol:

http://www.bbc.co.uk...onsole/b010xyjz (Health discussion is at 23 minutes, if you can't face a whole hour of hardcore folk)

Mike Waterson has died. :wacko: :lol:
Sometimes when we see the eyes- those horrible times when we see the eyes,eyes that ... that have no soul - then we know a darkness.

#147 Guest_Guest_*

  • Guests

Posted 09 July 2011 - 04:33 PM

Muerto

#148 notaguest

    Shipman

  • Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 469 posts

Posted 09 July 2011 - 06:45 PM

View PostGuest, on Jul 9 2011, 05:33 PM, said:

his singing can't have been that bad for someone to shoot him surely!

seriously though,these people really are the lowest form of scum
I was thrown off this forum for posting too many interesting and entertaining posts,thus embarrassing less imaginative posters than myself.If you feel this is not fair or democratic and indeed infringes my basic human rights under the United Nations laws please let the moderators and admin know.Thanks.

#149 Magere Hein

    Film land, Homer!

  • Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,585 posts

Posted 09 July 2011 - 07:12 PM

View Postnotaguest, on Jul 9 2011, 08:45 PM, said:

View PostGuest, on Jul 9 2011, 05:33 PM, said:

his singing can't have been that bad for someone to shoot him surely!

seriously though,these people really are the lowest form of scum
While I'm not exactly a fan of folk music, I reserve the words "lowest form of scum" for sales managers, politicians, child psychologists, traffic wardens, bailiffs and telemarketeers. Oh, and rappers.

regards,
Hein
DDP 2014 team The Grey Horde:
King Abdullah of Saudi Arabia, Ayman al-Zawahiri, Lys Assia, Sister Wendy Beckett, Ryan Buell Posted Image,Jacques Chirac, Felix Dennis, Aretha Franklin, Ruth Bader Ginsburg, Marilyn Horne, Clive James, General Wojciech Jaruzelski, Wilko Johnson, Helmut Kohl, Joseph Kony, Misao Okawa, Bernie Madoff, Robert Mugabe, Julie Newmar, Michael Schumacher

DDP 2014 theme team Minions of Xuleneb:
King Albert II, Princess Beatrix, Prince Bernhard jr, Elco Brinkman, Corry Brokken, Dick Bruna, Raymond Ceulemans, Godfried Danneels, Piet de Jong, Mark Eyskens, Queen Fabiola Of Belgium Posted Image, Jan Janssen, Grand Duke Jean I of Luxembourg, Wubbo Ockels, Fernando Ricksen, Kees Rijvers, Wim Ruska, Toots Thielemans, Martinus J. G. Veltman, Geert Wilders

#150 CarolAnn

    What's the character limit?

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,545 posts

Posted 09 July 2011 - 11:20 PM

View PostMagere Hein, on Jul 9 2011, 02:12 PM, said:

While I'm not exactly a fan of folk music, I reserve the words "lowest form of scum" for sales managers, politicians, child psychologists, traffic wardens, bailiffs and telemarketeers. Oh, and rappers.

Corporate CEOs, CFOs and CIOs, along with anyone who drives a Lexus in Dallas.
Whenever I feel blue, I start breathing again.

#151 Spade_Cooley

    Rich Homie Quantick

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,788 posts

Posted 11 July 2011 - 10:14 PM

View PostBluegrass Flyer, on Jun 30 2011, 10:35 PM, said:

View PostBluegrass Flyer, on Jun 20 2011, 09:35 AM, said:

View PostTerminator, on Jun 24 2008, 01:44 PM, said:

View PostDevonDeathTrip, on Jun 24 2008, 12:54 PM, said:

Rob Grills, lead singer of the Grass Roots, hasn't had the best of years.

Quote

He's endured the roughest health stretch in his life. Grill, 64, underwent brain surgery in February, had pneumonia in the spring, suffered from kidney failure in early June, and will have knee replacement surgery in July

I think I can help his doctors out....given the sequence, they should start investigating his feet next.

My dear friend Rob Grill - leader of The Grass Roots (legendary band) is in need of sustained prayer tonight. he's in the hospital in critical condition. may God bless my friend..... if you can, please share this....

To Rob's fans.

I've been informed that Rob's hospitalization is due to a stroke he had recently (his third in the last couple of years), and that he is in a doctor induced coma which is what has been keeping him alive.... He is on life support but is reportedly in stable condition according to his wife Nancy.

Please continue pray for Rob, I will try to keep you informed of any further developments....

The Grill's been turned off
"I have never killed a man, but I have read many obituaries with great pleasure." - Clarence Darrow

"Get back to task and participate, or you will come with us at the finale to dance, although there will be shocking deaths. Yoshi is coming for me." - Pikalin Soutdalany

#152 DevonDeathTrip

    Tractor Eater

  • Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,070 posts

Posted 21 August 2011 - 08:31 PM

View Postharrymcnallysblueandwhitearmy, on Aug 26 2010, 04:00 PM, said:

View PostSix, on Apr 8 2006, 08:47 PM, said:

Bert Jansch is in his 60's now, and still on the road - still an excellent guitarist too...



ps, I was never a Morris Dancer, thankfully.

It appears Bert had, and hopefully beat, lung cancer last year.


Sadly, it doesn't look like Bert Jansch has beaten his cancer yet...

Quote

Jansch's ongoing cancer treatment means that this small handful of Pentangle live dates Glastonbury, Cambridge folk festival and tonight's outing are especially poignant.

Sometimes when we see the eyes- those horrible times when we see the eyes,eyes that ... that have no soul - then we know a darkness.

#153 Spade_Cooley

    Rich Homie Quantick

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,788 posts

Posted 13 September 2011 - 11:37 PM

View Postharrymcnallysblueandwhitearmy, on Jan 5 2009, 01:30 PM, said:

BBC Four begins a three-part series cheekily entitled Folk America on 23rd Jan, with the opening edition looking at the beginnings of recorded folk/blues in the late 1920s. As well as featuring some bloody great music and being an interesting history lesson, it also has interviews with at least three musicians that were around then and are still around now: guitarist Slim Bryant, banjoist Wade Mainer (both centenarians) and delta bluesman Blind Lemon Pie David 'Honeyboy' Edwards, a mere stripling of 94.

Wade Mainer dead at 104. Played for Roosevelt, played with Guthrie, seems like he lived a life.
"I have never killed a man, but I have read many obituaries with great pleasure." - Clarence Darrow

"Get back to task and participate, or you will come with us at the finale to dance, although there will be shocking deaths. Yoshi is coming for me." - Pikalin Soutdalany

#154 notaguest

    Shipman

  • Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 469 posts

Posted 13 September 2011 - 11:45 PM

View PostSpade_Cooley, on Sep 14 2011, 12:37 AM, said:

View Postharrymcnallysblueandwhitearmy, on Jan 5 2009, 01:30 PM, said:

BBC Four begins a three-part series cheekily entitled Folk America on 23rd Jan, with the opening edition looking at the beginnings of recorded folk/blues in the late 1920s. As well as featuring some bloody great music and being an interesting history lesson, it also has interviews with at least three musicians that were around then and are still around now: guitarist Slim Bryant, banjoist Wade Mainer (both centenarians) and delta bluesman Blind Lemon Pie David 'Honeyboy' Edwards, a mere stripling of 94.

Wade Mainer dead at 104. Played for Roosevelt, played with Guthrie, seems like he lived a life.
that's all 3 gone now then...
I was thrown off this forum for posting too many interesting and entertaining posts,thus embarrassing less imaginative posters than myself.If you feel this is not fair or democratic and indeed infringes my basic human rights under the United Nations laws please let the moderators and admin know.Thanks.

#155 Vinegar Tits

    Executioner

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 697 posts

Posted 05 October 2011 - 09:30 AM

Can't find a link as yet but former Pentangle guitarist Bert Jansch has died following a long battle with cancer.

***Posted Image WINNER OF THE DEATHLIST.NET JADE GOODY SWEEPSTAKE Posted Image***

...and also the Popbitch 2009/2010/2013 deadpool...

Main DDP team:Madonna's Hand Of Bod (2013: =56th 8/20) - Sheila Mercier | Helen Fawkes | Gazza | Zsa Zsa Gabor | Jimmy Hill | Olivia De Havilland | Ian Watkins | Richard Attenborough | Liz Dawn | Richard Adams | Billy Graham | Albert Reynolds | Michael Schumacher | Christopher Lee | Rolf Harris | Wilko Johnson | Valerie Harper | Michael York | Misao Okawa | Ethel Lang
Personal DDP team:Are You Still Dying Darling (2011: =81th 7/20) - Ken Bates | Zsa Zsa Gabor | Ian Watkins | James Alexander Gordon | Dora Bryan | Manoel De Oliveira | Valerie Harper | Wilko Johnson | Liz Smith | Asa Briggs | Peter O'Sullevan | Jill Gascoigne | George Bush Snr | Mary Tyler Moore | Michael York | Doug Ellis | Pope Benedict | Penny Marshall | Misao Okawa | Sid Caesar

#156 harrymcnallysblueandwhitearmy

    It's God shit!

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,565 posts

Posted 05 October 2011 - 10:10 AM

View PostDevonDeathTrip, on Aug 21 2011, 09:31 PM, said:

View Postharrymcnallysblueandwhitearmy, on Aug 26 2010, 04:00 PM, said:

View PostSix, on Apr 8 2006, 08:47 PM, said:

Bert Jansch is in his 60's now, and still on the road - still an excellent guitarist too...



ps, I was never a Morris Dancer, thankfully.

It appears Bert had, and hopefully beat, lung cancer last year.


Sadly, it doesn't look like Bert Jansch has beaten his cancer yet...

Quote

Jansch's ongoing cancer treatment means that this small handful of Pentangle live dates Glastonbury, Cambridge folk festival and tonight's outing are especially poignant.

Vinegar Tits bringing sad news. ^

Saw him at the Jazz Cafe in the early 2000s, much thoughtful nodding and chinstroking from the assembled punters. Nice performance with Bernie and Johnny, for those that might be interested.



Edit: obit link

why, you little...


#157 DevonDeathTrip

    Tractor Eater

  • Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,070 posts

Posted 10 December 2011 - 09:12 AM

View PostVSBfromH, on 10 April 2011 - 06:13 AM, said:

View PostDevonDeathTrip, on May 9 2010, 08:31 PM, said:

Folkie David Fisher, singer and founding member of The Highwaymen, has died at the age of 70 :rip: . Their song "Michael" spent one week at the top of the UK charts in 1961.

Gil Robbins

Another member of The Highwaymen has died aged 80. He was the father of the actor Tim Robbins.

Bob Burnett has died, the third Highwayman to go in eighteen months.
Sometimes when we see the eyes- those horrible times when we see the eyes,eyes that ... that have no soul - then we know a darkness.

#158 themaninblack

    Pun Plunderer

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,126 posts

Posted 10 December 2011 - 09:27 AM

View PostDevonDeathTrip, on 10 December 2011 - 09:12 AM, said:

View PostVSBfromH, on 10 April 2011 - 06:13 AM, said:

View PostDevonDeathTrip, on May 9 2010, 08:31 PM, said:

Folkie David Fisher, singer and founding member of The Highwaymen, has died at the age of 70 :rip: . Their song "Michael" spent one week at the top of the UK charts in 1961.

Gil Robbins

Another member of The Highwaymen has died aged 80. He was the father of the actor Tim Robbins.

Bob Burnett has died, the third Highwayman to go in eighteen months.

Did they once have a gig near a nuclear reactor or something?
"I must have killed more men than Cecil B. DeMille."

Gene Wilder as "the Waco Kid", Blazing Saddles (1974)

#159 DevonDeathTrip

    Tractor Eater

  • Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,070 posts

Posted 22 December 2011 - 10:36 PM

The folk singer Johnny Silvo has died of cancer. He wasn't that famous, but he once recorded an album with Sandy Denny, so I thought he deserved a mention. I did have him pencilled in for next year's DDP, so I'll be interested to see if he manages to get an obit.
Sometimes when we see the eyes- those horrible times when we see the eyes,eyes that ... that have no soul - then we know a darkness.

#160 Bert Trautmann

    Bomber

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 199 posts

Posted 11 March 2012 - 06:09 PM

Anne Feeney is cancer-free.

http://fellow-travel...y.blogspot.com/
Golden Slumbers

Sam Simon - Wilko Johnson - Scott Putesky - Mark Evans - Clive James - Rubin Carter - Kate Granger - Sally Farmiloe - Kate Gross - Valerie Harper - Albert Reynolds - Casey Kasem - Carman - Christy Dignam - Robert Schuller - Elie Wiesel - Helen Fawkes - Sandy Jardine - Billy Graham - Katherine Crowe

Derby Dead Pool

2011 - 10th (7/20)
2012 - 74th (6/20)
2013 - 11th (11/20)




Reply to this topic



  


1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users