Old Folkies Home Sundown for Lightfoot and Others

206 replies to this topic

#1 maryportfuncity

Dedicated Cumbrian Corpse Hound, or summat

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,049 posts

Posted 05 July 2005 - 08:33 AM

There's a whole generation of folk singers out there straddling the mid sixties to seventies in age. Whilst not seriously old a lot of this crowd have played night after night in smoky venues, drunk heavily throughout their careers and been obliged to drive long distances in search of a few quid because many of them never really made it.

One or two - like Gordon Lightfoot - did do well. Others, like Tom Paxton and many of the British crowd - Wizz Jones, Harvey Andrews etc - never made it out of the folk clubs and have no massive 'hits' covered by other artists to keep them in cash, obliging them to keep covering road miles and turning up in front of a few dozen people.

It can't be doing them any good. I know Gordon Lightfoot was lucky to survive suffering an abdominal haemorrage on stage in 2002 and miraculously recovered to play Live8. There must be a few others in this category fixin' to strum their last. Anyone know more than me and want to share it?
Posted Image

Maryport is a disappointment for which there is no cure, but the annual Deathrace thread hereabouts provides welcome distraction.

#2 VileBody

Shipman

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 358 posts

Posted 05 July 2005 - 11:44 AM

Maybe we could have some famous Morris Dancers as well....

#3 Magere Hein

Film land, Homer!

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,590 posts

Posted 05 July 2005 - 11:51 AM

VileBody, on Jul 5 2005, 01:44 PM, said:

Huh? Famous Morris dancers... we might as well add flying pigs.

regards,
Hein
DDP 2014 team The Grey Horde:
King Abdullah of Saudi Arabia, Ayman al-Zawahiri, Lys Assia, Sister Wendy Beckett, Ryan Buell Posted Image,Jacques Chirac, Felix Dennis, Aretha Franklin, Ruth Bader Ginsburg, Marilyn Horne, Clive James, General Wojciech Jaruzelski, Wilko Johnson, Helmut Kohl, Joseph Kony, Misao Okawa, Bernie Madoff, Robert Mugabe, Julie Newmar, Michael Schumacher

DDP 2014 theme team Minions of Xuleneb:
King Albert II, Princess Beatrix, Prince Bernhard jr, Elco Brinkman, Corry Brokken, Dick Bruna, Raymond Ceulemans, Godfried Danneels, Piet de Jong, Mark Eyskens, Queen Fabiola Of Belgium Posted Image, Jan Janssen, Grand Duke Jean I of Luxembourg, Wubbo Ockels, Fernando Ricksen, Kees Rijvers, Wim Ruska, Toots Thielemans, Martinus J. G. Veltman, Geert Wilders

#4 VileBody

Shipman

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 358 posts

Posted 05 July 2005 - 11:55 AM

Who said the Dutch don't understand irony....

#5 The Four Horsemen

Assassin

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 984 posts

Posted 06 July 2005 - 09:07 AM

I dispute that - the most famous living Morris dancer is probably John Kirkpatrick, something of a hero in certain circles (of which I'm proud to be in!).
It is surely better to be pissed off than pissed on

#6 Cerberus

Executioner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 524 posts

Posted 06 July 2005 - 09:42 AM

Don't know if you'd call him a folk singer (probably not) but Roy Harper has been knockin' on Heaven's door for a while, with various ailments physical and mental, and balladeer/singer-songwiter Dan Fogelberg has been battling prostate cancer, but I don't really think that they, or anyone else mentioned here would really qualify on the famous front.
"Once you're dead, you're made for life."

attributed to Jimi Hendrix

#7 VileBody

Shipman

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 358 posts

Posted 06 July 2005 - 10:46 AM

Ohgodohgodohgod.....

#8 Tuber Mirum

Relic of the Golden Age

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,194 posts

Posted 06 July 2005 - 10:51 AM

It's never a bad idea to turn off your computer before "bumping bellies with Nasty Nell"

#9 Dr Strangelove

Executioner

• Members
  • 508 posts

Posted 06 July 2005 - 10:51 AM

VileBody, on Jul 5 2005, 11:44 AM, said:

A new potential definition for oxymoron I see.
"Love, friendship, loyalty, kindness - these are all emotions which we applaud, emotions which have been immortialized in the bad couplets of Hallmark Cards and in the verses (I don't dare call it poetry) of Leonard Nimoy." - Stephen King

#10 VileBody

Shipman

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 358 posts

Posted 06 July 2005 - 11:11 AM

The Four Horsemen, on Jul 6 2005, 10:07 AM, said:

I dispute that - the most famous living Morris dancer is probably John Kirkpatrick, something of a hero in certain circles (of which I'm proud to be in!).
"Probably..."???????

You mean you know the names of two of them??????????

#11 Cerberus

Executioner

• Members
  • 524 posts

Posted 06 July 2005 - 11:19 AM

To be fair, entering "John Kirkpatrick" into my search engine did produce 133,000 results :blink:

#12 VileBody

Shipman

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 358 posts

Posted 06 July 2005 - 11:23 AM

Cerberus, on Jul 6 2005, 12:19 PM, said:

To be fair, entering "John Kirkpatrick" into my search engine did produce 133,000 results :blink:
Oh well, pardon me....had I but known.....

#13 maryportfuncity

• Members
  • 11,049 posts

Posted 06 July 2005 - 12:46 PM

Fogleberg sold records around the world, I reckon he'd qualify. Certainly more of an international celebrity than Claire Raynor and Patrick Moore combined.
Posted Image

Maryport is a disappointment for which there is no cure, but the annual Deathrace thread hereabouts provides welcome distraction.

#14 Typhoid Harry

Post-Twunt

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,214 posts

Posted 06 July 2005 - 02:37 PM

Any "Folk" singer worth his or her salt had the good sense to die early in their careers to ensure their position of "suffering artist". See, Ochs, Phil, for confirmation. He was so proficient at upsetting the applecart he was murdered.
I'm not sure if it's Marxism in action or a West End musical... - Dr. Who

#15 maryportfuncity

• Members
  • 11,049 posts

Posted 06 July 2005 - 03:55 PM

So Pete Seeger who's done more for folk music than several thousand others combined obviously isn't a folk singer.

Does Keith Richards continued hold on life stop him being a rock star?
Posted Image

#16 The Four Horsemen

Assassin

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 984 posts

Posted 06 July 2005 - 04:07 PM

Try John Kirkpatrick accordion and see what happens in Google.
Most of the other famous morris dancers are dead, but the Bampton and Adderbury morris troupes are probably the best know collections of morris dancers.

Is that my credibility disappearing into the distance I can see??
It is surely better to be pissed off than pissed on

#17 lospalmas7

Shipman

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 334 posts

Posted 06 July 2005 - 07:34 PM

Do the Bampton and Adderbury morris dancers all cram themselves in a phone box after their dance? Witnessing morris dancers do that about 10 years ago is enough to make me a defender of the art that is morris dancing.

#18 maryportfuncity

• Members
  • 11,049 posts

Posted 06 July 2005 - 07:38 PM

Four Horseman....I thought your credibility was in danger until I spotted the beautiful creature in the bathtub on your very own page.

Anyone with such taste in lady friends has credibility, end of.
Posted Image

#19 BrunoBrimley

I REALLY Need To Get A Life!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,330 posts

Posted 06 July 2005 - 09:49 PM

Judy Colllins is still out and about and performing as is that raspy throated squwaker who at least began in folk although he crossed over rather substantially into the pop charts--yes that one--Bobby Zimmerman, usually known as Bob Dylan. It's odd but years back he kept saying 'It's alright ma I'm only bleeding' and yet he's still alive. After all these years bleeding you'd have thought he woulkd have kicked off. What gives? And then of course Joan Baez is still with us and still performing (hopefully for a long long time to come :old: ).

#20 Cerberus

Executioner

• Members
  • 524 posts

Posted 06 July 2005 - 11:46 PM

Is Ewan MacColl still around?

Reply to this topic

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users